Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I too am super excited for this. I hope Meghan still manages to be herself when she marries in. Maxima is a good example of a royal who has stayed true to herself. She is a good role model for Meghan.

It did take Máxima some time to be true to herself. Just look back at the introduction visits she made to the provinces to see how she at first tried to be rather safe then sorry, and only later gained the courage to show more of herself (probably with the jacket on Queen's Day in 2004 as the break-through).

I guess each 'new royal' needs some time to strike the right balance between being true to yourself and behaving and clothing appropriately for the job (most people probably choose 'safe' when starting a new job).

I think they should announce the engagement very soon - like early October, and prep for a January winter wedding.

I think they should announce the engagement very soon - like early October, and prep for a January winter wedding.

She is filming her show until the end of November. Even if they could plan a royal wedding in three months, she would be expected to be in London for the planning and people to get to know her.

A couple of royal reporters that were at wheelchair tennis today have said that, compared to others at the game, Meghan was slightly more overdressed. Does that satisfy those that questioned the appropriateness of her clothing at the game?

Thanks Pranter!

I think it's amazing how times have changed. During Edward's time, this probably wouldn't have been possible... and definitely during Diana's time it wouldn't have been. The world just wasn't ready yet.

Some still aren't ready, lol.

Well we Americans are still trying to live down the last American to marrying into the BRF! Hopefully Meghan, if they marry, will be a wonderful example.

She and Harry sure do appear happy and well suited for each other. We can thank all the folks who came before us, they laid the groundwork.

LaRae

She is filming her show until the end of November. Even if they could plan a royal wedding in three months, she would be expected to be in London for the planning and people to get to know her.

I agree with you and many others that an engagement announcement is highly unlikely as long as she is filming. So, late November at the earliest - although they might want to try to surprise us; not sure what date they would need to pick for that... March seems the earliest possible month for a wedding; early April would also be an option (unless the Queen is adamant that it does not take place during Lent). If not (especially with a later engagement announcement), late May or June seem likely options.

By sister in law I mean my brother in law's wife. Not my own brother. I meant it as in Meghan planning the wedding.

It would be Harry's wedding too.

I agree with you and many others that an engagement announcement is highly unlikely as long as she is filming. So, late November at the earliest - although they might want to try to surprise us; not sure what date they would need to pick for that... March seems the earliest possible month for a wedding; early April would also be an option (unless the Queen is adamant that it does not take place during Lent). If not (especially with a later engagement announcement), late May or June seem likely options.

Easter is April 1st next year, so no Lenten worries for April.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easter is April 1st next year, so no Lenten worries for April.

Thanks! Forgot to check the Calendar. Well, in that case Friday (sticking with the same day of the week as William & Catherine) April 6, 2018 would be nice if they don't want to wait too long :flowers:

Getting ahead... let's see whether an engagement will indeed be announced some time this year.

It would be Harry's wedding too.

Yeah I'd find it odd if they planned a wedding without considering Kate's due date. I mean - I would think they'd want to make sure the entire family on both sides (minus some notable exceptions, lol) could attend. And William would be best man - I'd hope Harry would consider his brother and I'd hope Meghan would consider her future family too. I mean - I can't imagine otherwise.

All I know is, if M&H do get engaged and married, I'm hosting a royal sleepover party Blair Waldorf style to watch it, lol.

Meghan s dressing was normal and easy . White shirt and denim is the most classic style statement !

She looked grt and amazing that she s herself and isn't trying too hard !

Love the flats too ��

Yeah I'd find it odd if they planned a wedding without considering Kate's due date. I mean - I would think they'd want to make sure the entire family on both sides (minus some notable exceptions, lol) could attend. And William would be best man - I'd hope Harry would consider his brother and I'd hope Meghan would consider her future family too. I mean - I can't imagine otherwise.

Btw - when is Kate due anyway? I haven't kept up with that.

All I know is, if M&H do get engaged and married, I'm hosting a royal sleepover party Blair Waldorf style to watch it, lol.

IIRC folks are guessing late March or early April ..at least that's the ranges I've seen posted.

LaRae

IIRC folks are guessing late March or early April ..at least that's the ranges I've seen posted.

LaRae
Wasn't that mostly based on the assumption that William said that they were going to celebrate a week later; and therefore, people assuming that Catherine must have been about 11 weeks pregnant? If she was only 6 weeks pregnant (when HG apparently typically starts to hit - and more consistent with the time table with princess Charlotte), late April would be more likely.

Wasn't that mostly based on the assumption that William said that they were going to celebrate a week later; and therefore, people assuming that Catherine must have been about 11 weeks pregnant? If she was only 6 weeks pregnant (when HG apparently typically starts to hit - and more consistent with the time table with princess Charlotte), late April would be more likely.

Then it's likely a summer wedding. The girl does have to move across the pond and likely travel to LA for holidays. I'd say everyone should give her a little bit of time to settle in.:lol:

I hope this is not off topic, but I am a little uncomfortable with people comparing Meghan to Wallis or mentioning them together.

Their situations are totally different, they are different people and while techinically, Wallis did marry into the royal family, she also didn't. She wasn't around them and did no royal duties as will Meghan.

What I wonder and I would love input from veteran royal watchers, is it true, as many have said, that Meghan will not work much? That she will do a little bit here and there, but take a back seat mainly not to over shadow Kate?

Also, will Meghan and Harry have their own seperate court, so to speak, rather offices instead of sharing them with William and Kate?

And I wonder if Meghan will be forced to take on non controversial charities, like hospitals and children instead of controversial ones like sex trafficking, like Camilla does?

We don't know really when she started having issue for sure or how far along she was when it started, some have suggested 8 to 10 weeks when they announced. It's all guessing at this point.

LaRae

I hope this is not off topic, but I am a little uncomfortable with people comparing Meghan to Wallis or mentioning them together.

Their situations are totally different, they are different people and while techinically, Wallis did marry into the royal family, she also didn't. She wasn't around them and did no royal duties as will Meghan.

What I wonder and I would love input from veteran royal watchers, is it true, as many have said, that Meghan will not work much? That she will do a little bit here and there, but take a back seat mainly not to over shadow Kate?

Also, will Meghan and Harry have their own seperate court, so to speak, rather offices instead of sharing them with William and Kate?

And I wonder if Meghan will be forced to take on non controversial charities, like hospitals and children instead of controversial ones like sex trafficking, like Camilla does?

The only comparison between Meghan and Wallis is they are/were Americans and both divorced. Not sure why that makes you uncomfortable? It's just simple facts...assuming M&H do marry.

Assuming they marry then Meghan and Harry will work as directed by the Queen (or King). They will still have their private charities as Harry does now. It really has nothing to do with William and Kate.

There is no separate court. They will all work for the same family as directed by the Monarch. As far as offices...that would depend on them...is there room, is it practical etc.

Not sure why Meghan would be forced to take on non-controversial charities? I would imagine that she will be pretty free to support almost any charity she wishes too. Diana supported AIDS charities which was about as controversial as you could get back in the day. So not a new thing really.

LaRae

Those last pictures from Prince Harry and Meghan Markle definitely remind me of Prince William and Kate Middleton arriving together at Harry Meade's wedding in October 2010.

Three weeks later, Diana's engagement ring showed up again on Kate's finger. ;)

So, I follow along here during the daytime via my cell phone but don't post because I always forget my password. Today was pretty interesting to me. I was reading all the discussion about *horrors* Meghan's torn skinny jeans, before I realized that I'd missed the link to the original DM article and twitter pics of her attending the wheelchair tennis match. In my mind, I'm picturing torn skinny jeans of the sort I just purchased a few weeks for my almost 16-year old niece to start the school year. Meaning, several rips, strategically placed on the thighs, knees, or calves (but not on the butt cheeks or seat because she doesn't care for that), some so large that I question why anyone would pay money for them since I'm pretty sure you can achieve the same effect with a pair of scissors and a bit of effort. Much to my surprise, Meghan's torn skinny jeans had exactly one tear, in the knee, and tattered cuffs, and I thought to myself, "why are people on TRF upset or offended by her attire?" I suppose, that right there, is what makes TRF a great forum - the variety of perspectives and opinions, usually so politely shared. But, I still stand by my opinion of several hours ago... Meghan's torn skinny jeans are hardly anything to write home about, if my middle-class suburban teenage niece's decidedly bourgeois fashion sense is anything to measure against. Oh, and yes, torn skinny jeans are still quite the rage in this part of the world.

Also, I'd like to say that I think an engagement announcement will happen before year-end. Meghan and Harry looked so comfortable and happy together today. I've thought, since the VF article hit the newsstands earlier this month, that it was a pretty strong possibility, but today's appearance puts me into a "when" not "if" mode of thinking.

Last edited:
I'm sure Harry would want Kate at his wedding . He's so close to his brother n sister in law . She's family!!! So am sure any wedding date would be made around when Kate will attend it .

Two things I’d like to see her ditch right off the bat are draping jackets over her shoulders. It looks silly. She did it at Invictus and that’s the third time I’ve seen her do it.

The other thing is that god awful posing for the camera with her legs crossed in front of her. A lot of celebrities do this and it always looks like she has to go to the loo.

Just a little bit in support of Rudolph's assessment of crossing legs, it brought back memories of my mother harping at me over and over again that a lady never crosses her legs but rather crosses her ankles while sitting.

Basically, I think that rule has gone out the window just as never going out in public without a hat and gloves on.

One thing very nice though when Meghan and Harry do announce their engagement and then marry, Meghan will get her very own fashion thread here and I can ignore it all I want. :D
I think it depends on the legs to be honest. Those with long slim legs can cross them and look elegant, those with short legs end up with the crossed leg sticking out and not in a good way.

But, when it comes down to it I think it has more to do with the perception that crossed legs were/are believed to cause varicose veins.

In short, no! Harry's charities do not all involve the Cambridge's, Invictus is a perfect example of Harry's life experience bringing service personnel and health to his attention.

Should Meghan marry Harry, I am sure she will also stick with her general feeling towards charities. Meghan has also touched on the exploitation of women and I can't see her ditching anything. She is a self-avowed feminist in the very best way.

Last edited:
I'm sure Harry would want Kate at his wedding . He's so close to his brother n sister in law . She's family!!! So am sure any wedding date would be made around when Kate will attend it .

I have to agree. I think that Kate and Harry get on very well with each other and he certainly loves her like the sister he never had. There is no doubt in my mind that Harry will want both William and Kate at his wedding, whenever that happens.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...for-prince-harry-and-meghan-markle-menon.html

^^ A summary of how the popular media is going bonkers over the M&H PDA. This assessment by the writer, I think is on target:

"This relationship appears to not be celebrity in nature or scope.
Her body language says, 'I love this bearded fool.'
His body language says, 'I adore this freckled goddess.'

... it was hard not to feel happy for two kindred spirits who have managed to find each other while journeying across very different worlds. It was hard not to see them both as young people in love and old souls in sync.
Casual, down-to-earth and blissfully unconcerned with what anyone thinks. If this is the future of the royal family, Harry and Meghan are pushing it in the right direction."

Fellow gusher here! Also a lurker and loved your post. The Yanks are sending a delightful woman to help quell the ghost of Wallis Warfield Simpson.

Yes, in a strange way, so many years now into an entirely different era, it seems that the M&H romance is somehow redeeming the tragic, painful and star-crossed royal relationships of the past from Henry VIII, to Edward VIII, to Margaret & Townsend, to Margaret & Snowden, to William of Gloucester & Zuzsui Starkloff, to Charles & Diana. Hallelujah! Rachel Meghan Markle and Henry of Wales are one sexy modern couple shaking things up in a good way within the royal firmament.

The thing about 'crossed legs' is I'm not certain everyone is speaking of the same thing. I've noticed Meghan at dress-up premieres and events related to her career (and also in casual shots) standing in a pose with her legs stylishly crossed, which is just a thing some models and actresses do at times. I haven't necessarily seen her sitting with her legs crossed. There's a photo at the Invictus ceremony where she's clapping and it looks like one leg is folded on top of the other, but looking more closely what looks like Meghan's leg is actually the arm of the person sitting in front of her. :lol:

I sometimes like her style (the burgundy dress) and sometimes don't.
For example, I think the torn jeans and shirt hanging half-out at the tennis match look sloppy....

I'm not a fan of the ripped/torn jeans look either. You can get the stonewashed type if you want them to look 'used'...don't have to tear holes in them for that!

I've liked almost everything I've seen her wear ..except that silver lame looking material she wore to some event before Harry and maybe a couple other things I've seen. Past that I like her look.

I didn't like the silver lame mini-dress Meghan wore to a pre-Harry event either. The styling was rather boxy. Still, I think she pulled it off somewhat. Meghan will likely not be wearing many minis in future. ? I too am not a huge fan of the ripped jeans look. But Meghan definitely has a very cool and insouciant (easy, breezy) way of pulling it off. It works for her.

Meghan has said in a past video interview about dressing up and dressing down that she has learned how to pull off a casual yet sophisticated look by having something slightly mussed like her hair, or a shirt-tail pulled out but otherwise polished and wearing great accessories. I don't have the exact quote right now. Again she learned it as a fashion tip, and did not make it up by herself. ;)

I have to say I like her style! Purely because she never seems like she is trying too hard or trying to look princessy, she is cool and comfortable in her own skin.

I totally agree with you. I have to say that from what I've seen so far, Meghan always seems to get her looks for every occasion just right. She has that knack. She's like California casual. But when she moved to Toronto to film Suits, she admits that her style and fashion sense evolved and became more sophisticated as she began working with and meeting different designers and fashion stylists. For those who are not familiar with Suits, the clothes on that show absolutely rock. And Meghan has said that she wears her own jewelry for a bit of authenticity in portraying her character, Rachel, with whom she shares the same first name.

Those last pictures from Prince Harry and Meghan Markle definitely remind me of Prince William and Kate Middleton arriving together at Harry Meade's wedding in October 2010.
Three weeks later, Diana's engagement ring showed up again on Kate's finger. ;)

Yes, I agree.

Last edited:
I like it that Meghan appears to dress down for this occasion - clothes, natural hair, hardly any jewellery or makeup. It says they don't care about "us", it's about them and nothing else imho.

Last edited:
Well guys, I am not ashamed to admit that I've looked at these pics multiple times now and still have the biggest smile on my face. :D What a lovely, charming couple who looks to be completely enamored with one another. So wonderful to see!

And I thought Meghan looked just fine. I'd love to have those flats and that bag, actually.

Last edited:
I'm so happy for them and I hope it works out. I'm a little jealous because I live downtown Toronto and I could have seen them :D

The thing about 'crossed legs' is I'm not certain everyone is speaking of the same thing. I've noticed Meghan at dress-up premieres and events related to her career (and also in casual shots) standing in a pose with her legs stylishly crossed, which is just a thing some models and actresses do at times. I haven't necessarily seen her sitting with her legs crossed. There's a photo at the Invictus ceremony where she's clapping and it looks like one leg is folded on top of the other, but looking more closely what looks like Meghan's leg is actually the arm of the person sitting in front of her.

I agree. I believe the original comment was about a standing pose, generally for photographers, whereas most of the responses were about a sitting position.

They do look very comfortable with each other, relaxed and happy. The "introduction to the public" some folks wanted seems to be happening.

Do you guys think she'll attend more events with Harry, and which ones could be a possibility?

Howdy do neighbor! I think that if there is a royal wedding, the hubby here would be ever grateful if I were to go away to a sleepover for the wedding. With William and Kate's, I totally took command of both the TV and the computer as I didn't want to miss anything. On the other hand, he actually got a bit interested himself and it was with a big smile on his face he woke me up with the news that Kate had her first child, George. He loves spreading good news. :D

I do think that Harry would think his wedding without William and Kate would be like a day without sunshine and definitely plan around the pregnancy due date so that they both could be there. I can't imagine Harry having a wedding without George and Charlotte being very involved in it too.

As far as after a wedding, I do think that Harry and Meghan will also be given a period of time to just settle into being married and starting a family much like W&K were able to do. I think they will maintain keeping the same office that they do now with a change to adding a fourth person to the Royal Foundation.

If you look at the Foundation, its separated into three categories right now being Young People, Conservation and Armed Forces. This foundation umbrellas so much of what the three are involved with. I can definitely see Meghan taking on her own causes and adding them to the Foundation itself.
They all do have their own specific areas of interest and also work together on the Heads Together campaign so it wouldn't be much of a push to see Meghan meshing into the Foundation work quite easily.

I have yet to find any area whatsoever where Meghan wouldn't be deemed a good fit when it comes to what would be expected of her as a senior working royal. In fact, I'd go as far as to state that Meghan joining the BRF will be like adding another very bright light bulb to enhance and illuminate the BRF.

Honestly there will never be a perfect time to announce a engagement and wedding date. There is always *some* event that will be occurring. The royal events/occasions calendar is never clear.
Moreover, there are events that could suddenly occur. For example, who knew a year ago that Kate would've been pregnant and due next spring/summer?!

I think they should just go for it and do it. Life is too short and tomorrow is promised to no one!

Honestly there will never be a perfect time to announce a engagement and wedding date. There is always *some* event that will be occurring. The royal events/occasions calendar is never clear.
Moreover, there are events that could suddenly occur. For example, who knew a year ago that Kate would've been pregnant and due next spring/summer?!

I think they should just go for it and do it. Life is too short and tomorrow is promised to no one!

Absolutely right!
And IF they do decide to marry, what is wrong with a winter wedding?
I think that would be very nice.

I am jumping up and down with excitement!!! :bounce: I think an engagement is not too far off.

I think Meghan could wear a potato sack and make it look good. She doesn't seem to be a clothes horse but always dresses appropriately for wherever she is. She is happy and healthy and obviously very much in love with her man.

But what do I know. I'm an older lady sitting here in a heavy fleece onesie with penguin feet. Go figure. :lol:

She is like Kate to me in that way, too. She could wear a potato sack and still look glamorous. About the penguin fleece :lol:. I wear my Tinkerbell pajamas at night.

Majesty magazine is having a hay day monitoring their facebook. I guess they have been inundated with racist comments left and right. Even the non racist ones are over the top.

That is so terrible.

I am sickened at the ongoing hate that Meghan and Harry are getting. I hope there is decent support for her in the UK.

Once they get married (I believe they will), it may take she and the Queen attending an engagement together for people to hush with the rhetoric. Unfortunately, there will still be a lot of people that will never change their minds.

Not if you get married in the same city as the couple lives.

You don't plan the wedding for the days around the due date but you don't need to reserve a month or so. As long as Kate is not in labor, even if she doesn't feel up to attending the wedding, William certainly could be there for his brother. Madeleine of Sweden attended her brother's wedding two days before giving birth to Nicolas.

I agree. I remember that Victoria Beckham was heavily pregnant when she attended William and Kate's wedding. Kate could still attend it very pregnant.

I'm also African American and honestly this makes me really happy to see someone with my heritage on the cusp of joining the BRF. Maybe that's not a popular thing to say, but I see so few high profile women with my heritage on an international stage that this is something I take pride in. Especially since Meghan is so accomplished on her own.

Okay - sorry to gush all over you guys - just excited to be here.

I think that is an AWESOME thing too!!

Also - I hope she's able to keep at least a little bit of her edge to her style. I have a similar style and the "edge" part is really important to me - even though I wear classic pieces, I try to combine interesting textures and architectural shapes to give the clothing more edge. I love the burgundy motorcycle jacket draped over her burgundy dress. More of that please Meghan!

Me, too. I think her outfit at the opening of the games would work very well at some royal engagements.

Thanks Pranter!

I think it's amazing how times have changed. During Edward's time, this probably wouldn't have been possible... and definitely during Diana's time it wouldn't have been. The world just wasn't ready yet.

Some still aren't ready, lol.

You are so right. I have read several books on the BRF in the late 19th and early 20th century and this relationship would have never worked then. It is so great to see how times have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom