Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if a bunch of glossy come hither photos and Meghan getting Serena Williams endorsement is part of a carefully planned 'role out ' then Markles PR need their heads checked.

I can't see how this interview endeared her to Brits or helped her cause.

He never used the "L" word. He just confirmed he and Meghan were dating.

Maybe it is a cultural problem, but, on our side of the Atlantic, or at least where I live, saying in public that you are in love with someone is a big deal, especially when the person you are supposed to be in love with has not publicy said yet he is in love with you too.

Were we doubting he loved her when that statement came out? Really? :lol:

I will agree that I can't remember when was the last time we heard any members of the royal family to say they are "in love", but that's quite refreshing, don't you think?

Well if a bunch of glossy come hither photos and Meghan getting Serena Williams endorsement is part of a carefully planned 'role out ' then Markles PR need their heads checked.

Serena Williams is one of her close friends, they asked her for a quote and she provided a harmless one.

The idea that those photos are "come hither" is rather sexist and gross and the kind of criticism a man would never receive.

Pearl clutchers gonna clutch their pearls I suppose, but I don't think most people will see much in that interview that could possibly be objectionable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reading some comments here and there on different communities and people seem to be unimpressed with Meghan covering VF and talking about Harry. I wonder what the general consensus is of the people across the UK.

I'm seeing actually quite a lot of positive feedback. I guess it depends where we read.

In all the outfits, there was one that can potentially be lower cut than what royals would be typically seen in, but otherwise, she's in a dress and in a turtle neck. This is tame by any fashion definition. Although, Kate did wear a very low cut dress to the state dinner for the Spanish King and Queen, did you accuse her of come hither too? And really, I think all of Meghan's neckline for this shoot is higher than that. I really hate to compare the two, but let's have some objectivity here please.

And let me be clear before it even gets started. No, I didn't have a problem with Kate's dress, just thought we'd establish some appropriate dressing standards here.

Serena Williams is one of her close friends, they asked her for a quote and she provided a harmless one.

The idea that those photos are "come hither" is rather sexist and gross and the kind of criticism a man would never receive.

Pearl clutchers gonna clutch their pearls I suppose, but I don't think most people will see much in that interview that could possibly be objectionable.

But what was the point of the interview? So Meghan can do a photo shoot and tell us she loves Harry?

This is a care fully planned role out?

How has this interview made her any more endearing to Joe or Jane Bloggs?

It's not surprising to me that celebrity Meghan is the first royal girlfriend to give an interview prior to an engagement.

It's not surprising to me that celebrity Meghan is the first royal girlfriend to give an interview prior to an engagement.

Its also not surprising that the first royal girlfriend to give an interview prior to an engagement is one that is adept at interviews and with public speaking. No previous girlfriends had any kind of experience in that area before. ;)

I'm glad Meghan gave this interview. To me she came across endearing, funny, down to earth, and accommodating. I'm glad to hear she and Harry are in love. I'm glad she spoke herself, and doesn't need Harry by her side to be able to speak.
Personally I'm tired of the royal gf hiding in the crowds, never addressed in public. Meghan showed in this interview, that she's her own person, and I'm 100% sure Harry supports this as well.

Last edited:
The point of the interview was to elevate her profile and confirm again for the public that she and Harry are very serious about each other, and it's appearing three weeks before the start of the Invictus Games, one of Harry's signature achievements, which this year is being hosted in the city Megan lives.

They're moving their relationship from a private one to one most of the public knows about, and that seems smart before an engagement announcement.

But what was the point of the interview? So Meghan can do a photo shoot and tell us she loves Harry?

This is a care fully planned role out?

How has this interview made her any more endearing to Joe or Jane Bloggs?

I've answered that question multiple times today. So let me just copy and paste a prior post so I don't get carpal tunnel.

From earlier today about what this interview accomplishes:

Of course this is about Meghan Markle. You think the Palace wouldn't have any interest in branding a potential wife for the Prince, a working royal, if things are serious enough between them? Especially since she'd be likely to begin as a working royal right after honeymoon. This presented her in a controlled environment.

This isn't the same as Kate because her situation is different from Kate. Kate came from a old fashioned family in Britain. The only thing different about her compared to former royal spouses is that she's not from aristocracy background marrying who will one day be King. Because of Meghan's past work and because of some of her family's more complicated history, there has been a lot of rumors out there. If the public doesn't hear about her and see this about her when an engagement is announced, it will get out of hand. What this allows them to do is to control the narrative. When an announcement is made, it's too late to start controlling the narrative with everything that's out there, true or not.

And just to add here, I don't think they are expecting everyone will just welcome her with open arms. There are people that will never be satisfied no matter what.

Its also not surprising that the first royal girlfriend to give an interview prior to an engagement is one that is adept at interviews and with public speaking. No previous girlfriends had any kind of experience in that area before. ;)

Sophie Wessex says hi.?

The other difference between Megan and Kate is that William and Kate dated for so long that she was already well known throughout the world when they finally did get married. She'd been followed by the press for nearly a decade.

Meghan and Harry met at at a different point in their life, when relationships move a bit faster. She'll have to be introduced to the media differently than Kate was

Sophie Wessex says hi.?

Sophie handled PR for others. Which didn't include public speaking or interview about yourself. There is a very big difference. Some can excel at giving objective advice, yet not be able to interview well about themselves. Sophie didn't do interviews as part of her job and she was a private citizen at that point.

Am the only one who thinks the palace had nothing to do with this. I don't think they are engaged . I thought they would be engaged by December but now this interview makes me uncertain. There is no way someone entering the British Royal family would do such an interview. The way Harry protect his privacy makes me believe while he knew about it , he probably didn't know the content. It looks more like she is promoting her brand than anything else. I liked the way they were conducting their romance before , I thought it was handled with class and dignity. This really makes me sad, because this is the only girlfriend of Harry's that I like.Hopefully I am wrong. This interview seem like a way to give her more publicity if the romance does not work out . I hope I am wrong and everyone that says it is a pre engagement interview is right. Because after this there is no way they can ask for privacy anymore.

my thoughts too. if anything, this interview is odd considering harry stepped in for her trying to tell the press to leave her in peace, and then she gives an interview to VF. the message is conflicting. conflicting, and unlike the discretion required in the royal world she will theoretically join.

i doubt an engagement is in the cards. if it was, i bet the royal household is well aware of any steps meghan is taking, including this interview with a glossy magazine and would have warned her against it promptly.

maybe i am wrong, but i just can't see a marriage happening, although i must admit the africa trip is suspicious. however, seeing that was the engagement place william chose, if i were harry and i wanted to propose i would choose another place which would surprise meghan rather than the place where my brother proposed to his wife.

Sophie handled PR for others. Which didn't include public speaking or interview about yourself. There is a very big difference. Some can excel at giving objective advice, yet not be able to interview well about themselves.

I strongly suggest you watch some royal documentaries where Sophie is interviewed. She's routinely praised for being one of the best speakers in the BRF, and she has a natural camera presence too.

Emily Andrews of The Sun has been tweeting that she does not get the pleas for privacy and then doing this interview. She is being wilfully obtuse IMO. Privacy to me is stop making our faces front pages every time we appear in public. Here she is taking charge of a narrative in her own voice.

Meghan and Harry never demanded privacy. Harry specifically said, that he understands the curiosity to his private life. He took a strong stand against the racist under tones, sexism, harassment Meghan's mother received, and an attempted break in to meghan's house. Emily Andrews is choosing to be ignorant, and sounds prissy she didn't get an exclusive.

I strongly suggest you watch some royal documentaries where Sophie is interviewed. She's routinely praised for being one of the best speakers in the BRF, and she has a natural camera presence too.

That came after she married into the family. Just like Kate has improved over time.

Yeah I agree with you. Funny the people who are saying she is trying to have it both ways are journalists for The Sun and Daily Mail who have been the worst culprits of leading the sexist,classist and racist headlines about her.

Emily Andrews of The Sun has been tweeting that she does not get the pleas for privacy and then doing this interview. She is being wilfully obtuse IMO. Privacy to me is stop making our faces front pages every time we appear in public. Here she is taking charge of a narrative in her own voice.

It's no surprise that the most vocal whining came from the two publications that's been the most aggressive in their coverage of M&H. Both have had rulings against them and had to publicly apologize. This is merely a case of sour grapes.

Isn't the Sun owned by Rupert Murdoch and managed by that horrid woman who illegally taped a range of celebrities while working for another publication? I suppose it is best to ignore whatever they write. In this case I am sure they would not have complained had MM talked to their rag.

That came after she married into the family. Just like Kate has improved over time.

Sophie had it all along. If joining the BRF trains you to be a good public speaker then those born in it would all be world class experts. And that clearly isn't the case. Charles, Anne, Andrew, Edward, William, and Harry are pedestrian speakers at best.

Oh, absolutely. And really, when was the last time we had a royal girlfriend that's a working actress in her own right that has done photoshoots and interviews before? Last famous girlfriend we had was Koo Stark, but times were different and certainly, she was involved in more than shows that are appropriate for TV during prime time.

Much more distant from the throne--but Lady Frederick comes to mind--Sophie Winkleman is an actress who even appeared on (gasp) a U.S. television program.

I thought we were beyond treating serious actresses like they are scandalous, but apparently no, even when they have college degrees from prestigious universities.

Last edited:
One thing with the ragtag sleaze publications is that they're all specifically trained to be "spooners". Something happens and its their job to stir the pot and create disention about things. They make money because this is what some people believe and feed on.

I can instantly tell sometimes when someone comes on TRF and expresses opinions that sounds like they've come from these publication or information sites that thrive on negative gossip. What we have here at TRF is a place dedicated to staying away from that kind of drivel and all opinions are valid as long as they can be backed up by a credible source.

For me, Vanity Fair has a reputation for being credible and well worth what they print. The Sun, The Fail and other sensational sleazebag publications I wish were totally banned from even being mentioned here as a source for information. I do admit that the Fail has excellent photographs and occasionally print something worthwhile but its a very rare occasion. :D

Meghan sans Harry wouldn't never rate a Vanity Fair cover. This relationship has certainly been good publicity for her.

Sophie had it all along. If joining the BRF trains you to be a good public speaker then those born in it would all be world class experts. And that clearly isn't the case. Charles, Anne, Andrew, Edward, William, and Harry are pedestrian speakers at best.

I'm not doubting natural talent. However, it takes practice to tap into that talent and cultivate it. You don't just all of sudden be the best you can be.

Much more distant from the throne--but Lady Frederick comes to mind--Sophie Winkleman is an actress who even appeared on (gasp) a U.S. television program.

I thought we were beyond treating serious actresses like they are scandalous, but apparently no, even when they have college degrees from prestigious universities.

Well, I'm not sure how much interest was in Lady Frederick to determine whether or not it would've been warranted, so I can't contribute to that.

And yes, we would think in 2017, we would be better than this. But I supposed not. We are lucky if some don't try to undermine to question whether her education is true just because they don't like her and her being smart is inconvenient for their view of her. It's happened before.

Meghan sans Harry wouldn't never rate a Vanity Fair cover. This relationship has certainly been good publicity for her.

Yet she closed down The very lucrative Tig, walked away Reitmans contract, has stopped using any form of social media, hasn't promoted her show, and is expected to give up her acting career before they get engaged. Doesn't sound like she's reeling in benefits gained through this relationship. Would an interview to Hello have been more acceptable?

Last edited:

For what? She's shut down her social media and clothing stuff....her part has been reduced in Suits....it's good in the sense it's letting people get a feel for her personality and to know a little more about her as she and Harry move into the next phase of their relationship..past that there's no indication whatsoever it's going to benefit her.

LaRae

She's closed down all of her commercial interests outside of "Suits" and hasn't been auditioning for other roles that anyone is aware of. Suits is also wrapping up- Megan's obligation to them doesn't extend past filming in November, with the last episode of this season to appear by March 2018. The show has not yet been renewed and even if it is, it's highly unlikely Meghan will be back for another season.

What on earth does she need publicity for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom