Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Edward was 7th in line then.

This 'publicity-shy' guff is REALLY 'blown out of the water by the Vanity-Fair cover and article...

Why would the 'court' be behind it?

I can't see the Queen's private secretary saying "ring Vanity Fair and tell them we have an exclusive. Meghan will pose for a bunch of photos and talk about her love life" :lol:

Harry isn't exactly a PR genius. Just because he was aware doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Well, for anyone wanting Meghan to be introduced to the public, here she's introducing herself. Her words, not third person sources, her narrative, and I'm 100% sure with the KP and Palace approval. I'm 100% sure there will be an engagement announcement very soon, withing this year, and IMHO they are already engaged.

Imo a very nice interview, BTW.

H&M are not out trying to 'attract' attention and publicity. Quite the opposite. It's the pushy media and over-anxious vs over-fascinated royal followers doing all the haranguing, hand-wringing and speculating. As well, H&M to me seem to be moving carefully and at their own pace. Why such hurry-scurry worrying on your part? ?

I've already addressed most of your other OTT worries in my previous posts. What's up with all your peremptory warnings and anxiety?! How do you know what Meghan is learning during her stays at Kensington Palace re royal protocol and the inner workings of royal life? She surely already has had conversations with Prince Harry, his mentors and royal staffers regarding what marrying into the royal firm would entail. I truthfully do not understand your and others' rush to such negative and judgmental perceptions and questionings. Were you as concerned for Harry's other serious girlfriends? :blink:

Gosh I luv ya ? you sure do have a way with words. And I agree with you completely :lol:

This 'publicity-shy' guff is REALLY 'blown out of the water by the Vanity-Fair cover and article...

No one has said anyone is publicity-shy. Simply not publicity whore as some like to brand her as. She has shied away from a lot of press that you would normally see an actress on television would do and, quite frankly, would be expected to do by studio execs. Just see her Suits costars promoting the show when it came back the 7th season. I don't believe any of them are publicity seeking, just doing their job as they are supposed to do. You can be both be private and still do interviews. Some here are taking things to extremes. Just because she did one interview in almost a year, that means she's attention seeking and uses Harry to trade for publicity when in reality this is very pulled back from what actors typically do.

Wow…a lot can happen in 24hrs! Just yesterday I was just saying that the Cambridge baby news will give Harry & Meghan the privacy they crave because all the media’s attention will now be on babywatch, and just a day later Vanity Fair publish an interview with Meghan talking none other than her relationship with Harry!

I’ll be honest that when I first heard she had given an interview to VF my heart sank! Purely because I know of the kind of backlash she will receive & it’s already starting to happen. The article’s title “She’s Just Wild About Harry” was an editorial decision but it is cringe inducing nonetheless & does Meghan no favors. Just browsing a few comment sections the general consensus is people now accusing her of being indiscreet and using her royal connections to publicise herself. I actually quite liked that she was keeping a dignified silence about her relationship & it was one of her best defenses against her critics.

Meghan has been the one getting the majority of the criticism since the relationship became public & I fear that will now only intensify. I think it would have been better if it was Harry that first gave an interview & talked openly about their relationship to fend off criticism and to show people his depth of love & respect for her. Also the woman in me would have preferred for the first public declaration of 'being in love' to have come from Harry instead!

Meghan is a public figure & she has every right to give interviews, but I just wished it was solely about her work & charities. This interview doesn’t tell us anything new about either of those things, in fact many of it was just repeating past interviews & soundbites she has already given in the past. Other than the quotes about Harry I'm not really quite sure what the point of this whole interview was. I fear that this interview will create an even bigger frenzy, and any future request for her privacy will now be met with cynicism from the media & public alike.

I just hope the palace is ready to come out swinging again if things start escalating out of control!

Last edited by a moderator:
The statement Harry released about harassment toward Meghan wasn't about any normal attention and curiosity toward the relationship, it was directed at the attempted break in to her house, which was reported to the police, at the racist undertones and misogynistic articles and the harassment meghan's mother had received. Nowhere have they talked about wanting more privacy. Just because they're able to avoid the paparazzi and go to places unnoticed and under the radar, doesn't mean they're not aware of the public interest.

This does open up the possibility of her attending some Invictus Games in an unofficial capacity. This would take the shock of her being there out. Again, I go back to the perfect timing of this. Right after Diana's 20th anniversary, so it didn't distract from that any. And then, enough time before IG.

Although, if she wasn't there. This also ends the non-stop speculation that would be happening.

Last edited:
Why such a negative rap on sexuality? Are you perturbed that Harry seems to find Meghan most attractive and very sexy? :lol: Acting is an honorable career, very highly regarded in Britain. I would not call it a "sexualized occupation." :ermm: Meghan has worked diligently at being successful in her career and in all aspects of her life. From all accounts and appearances, she has conducted herself professionally and with a great deal of decorum on the set of Suits. Acting requires courage, professionalism, and a degree of vulnerability and creative versatility. And there's no indication whatsoever that Meghan doesn't possess the highest of characters in the way she has conducted her personal life.

Are you as concerned about funding current members of the royal family, to the degree that you've expressed re Meghan? ?

Is it the royal title then that you're so worried about? You don't want Meghan to automatically hold a royal title upon marriage to Prince Harry?? :britflag:

You seem to be suggesting that enjoying stays at 'luxury resorts' is somehow inappropriate and not a good thing. Meghan highlighted travel tips and vacations on her Tig site, but she's no longer active on social media. Why are you getting so overwrought about what you think she 'loves'? ?

Neither Harry nor Meghan need to prove anything to any of us regarding their personal relationship. Are you a dating/marriage counselor? What qualifies you to claim what's best for Harry & Meghan? How would you know whether or not they are compatible? To the contrary, all of the available evidence indicates that they are quite comfortable as well as compatible with each other. Your queries and worries all seem to carry an unwarranted negative connotation.

Meghan has friends in the U.K. independent of Prince Harry's friends, and she's known these British friends since before she met Harry. Also, one of her long time girlfriends lives in the U.K. Meghan has visited Britain on other occasions prior to meeting Harry, and even more-so since she's been dating Harry and spending time with him at K.P.

Meghan has already had years of experience adjusting to life in a country other than the U.S., and she's seemed to have thrived in the process. Even if your concerns are valid, I'm not sure why you seem so overly concerned about Meghan taking to life in Britain.

As someone already pointed out, there's nothing at all 'secret' about the relationship. The fact that H&M are staying out of the public eye as much as possible is for a reason. The tabloid press frenzy is irresponsible, and H&M are not going to play into it.

The level of bile aimed towards Meghan is just too much for me and so uncalled for.

I just hope Harry appreciates her with what's happening. Oh yeah he does, he had the palace release that statement :D

Once again,

I'm very happy for these two. Harry and Meghan deserves all the happiness in the world.

The time is coming folks!

The statement Harry released about harassment toward Meghan wasn't about any normal attention and curiosity toward the relationship, it was directed at the attempted break in to her house, which was reported to the police, at the racist undertones and misogynistic articles and the harassment meghan's mother had received. Nowhere have they talked about wanting more privacy. Just because they're able to avoid the paparazzi and go to places unnoticed and under the radar, doesn't mean they're not aware of the public interest.

Camilla Tominey, who originally broke the story, was on tour with Harry in Carribbean. Interestingly, she was the only reporter given an exclusive interview during the tour. She came back and did an interview with This Morning. In it, she said that Harry did hold a get together with all the reporters, which all of the discussion was off the record. He's done this in the past as well. She said what she could say is that they understood this was going to come out. They understood the public interest. However, what he took issues was the way some were behaving.

When it comes to a royal engagement and the following wedding, the public actually is the last to know when the "official" announcement is made. I wouldn't doubt that plans have been in the works towards a royal wedding for some time now.

People have been clamoring quite loudly that Harry and Meghan should be more "visible" as a couple and this interview (which I believe wouldn't have been done without KP and Harry's go ahead) is this couple starting to dip their toes in public waters. With this interview out, it will not be surprising at all to see Harry with Meghan at the Invictus Games by his side. The way things are going, I think Harry has the full approval of his monarch and grandmother and his family and he's one happy Harry.

I do think all signs point to an engagement announcement sooner rather than later. We'll see.

I agree..no way this happened without Harry's approval (and whomever Harry has to get approval from). This is laying the groundwork for what is coming.

I fully expect to see them both at the Invictus Games. I'd put money on an engagement announcement before the end of the year.

LaRae

One thing we do need to keep in mind with Harry and Meghan's relationship is that beyond the UK, the importance of the BRF isn't something that is sacrosanct to the rest of the world. To the world, this is a story about a boy meeting a girl and falling in love and possibly marrying and riding off into the sunset living happily ever after. As Meghan, herself, says "Personally, I love a great love story". Don't we all?

In many people's eyes, Harry and Meghan, individually, have been people in the public's awareness because of who they are. There are probably fans of Meghan Markle that couldn't give a hill of beans about Harry and his status and vice versa, people who adore Harry, his status and who he is and couldn't give a hill of beans about an American actress on a successful American TV show.

We're kind of crossing Ts and dotting Is about who exactly was behind Meghan's interview, who orchestrated it all and who censored it or didn't censor it and anything else that is pure supposition. The interview was very well done in my eyes and it was more or less "This is me and who I am right now" from Meghan's point of view. She doesn't gush on about Harry or the BRF, spill the beans on the Queen's tea habits or does any name dropping for attention to build herself up but states simply that "we're in love". Simple. Straight forward and to the point.

This interview has also told me that they've reached a crossroads in their relationship where there is no doubt about "if" or "maybe" or "perhaps" they can make a lifetime commitment to each other. They're both pretty much at the point where the relationship is solid enough and they know each other well enough to begin to go public with it. To me, its kind of like a royal pregnancy announcement where they (usually) wait until the first trimester has passed and the pregnancy is on firm, solid footing.

I do honestly believe that this interview is a prelude to an engagement announcement. I do believe they have already committed themselves to each other as partners in life, liberty and the pursuit of whatever comes down the road next and all that is needed is the formal and very public events that they can't bypass. They have, however, set their own precedence on how their private lives will be and that, I believe, will be maintained.

All we have to do now is wait and watch and see what happens next. I'm looking forward to it. :D

Charles also threw them a party at CH for their 60th. So while we probably won't see tiaras we might get a black tie picture of the extended BRF like we did for their 60th. The Queen & The Duke Of Edinburgh 60th Diamond Wedding Anniversary Photos and Images | Getty Images

I am not sure where this question would go, but I know it is not here, but why is that not the British Way anymore? It is so sad to me that it is not. The Scandinavians seem to whip out their tiaras any chance they get. I am just interested in why.

I am not sure where this question would go, but I know it is not here, but why is that not the British Way anymore? It is so sad to me that it is not. The Scandinavians seem to whip out their tiaras any chance they get. I am just interested in why.

I think after the 1990s austerity it was considered OTT to have more than a sprinkling of tiara occasions over the course of a year. I regret this too. Charles likes grand occasions and his wife sparkling with diamonds I'm sure, so perhaps in the new reign there will be more of them.

I think it will be a full royal wedding on almost the scale of William and Kate's. There are a couple of reasons for my thinking this. Harry is Diana's son and it will always be ingrained in people's memories the picture of that little boy walking behind his mother's coffin so there is a feeling of sympathy toward him and a desire that he should have the best. Secondly, due to all the terrible articles that have been written about Meghan and her family, I think Harry will want her to have the best wedding possible as a way of saying that she is fully a part of the Firm and not someone that deserves a "lesser" wedding. Just my thoughts. Personally, I hope they have a huge Abbey wedding with carriages, kiss on the balcony...the works. I want a big royal wedding.

:previous: It will also depend on the government. Royal weddings are good for tourism and with Brexit it could be considered a timely asset. Conversely, TPTB may advise Windsor for security reasons.

Yes, I don't think a lot of people think about the the tourism aspect of a big Royal wedding or of just the Royal Family in general. I would love to go to Great Britain and the reason is because of the Royal Family. I am quite positive I would never see one of them, but it is just the mystique that is there because of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

I KNOW!!! The BRF seems to go with more understatement since the Diana years. However, I would LOVE to see what else is in HMQ's vault in terms of jewelry.

I just don't see a big wedding for them. Meghan has been married before and I think just due to how they conduct things already it will be lower key.

LaRae

I just don't see a big wedding for them. Meghan has been married before and I think just due to how they conduct things already it will be lower key.

LaRae

Honestly, the only thing I would be bummed is missing the kiss on the balcony if it's not at the Abbey. Other than that, they can have whatever they want lol.

I think they will do the balcony kiss regardless where they marry...that has kinda become a thing!

LaRae

I think they will do the balcony kiss regardless where they marry...that has kinda become a thing!

LaRae

I don't think Sophie and Edward did since it was at Windsor? Just a carriage ride.

I'm probably the only one believes the royal press team had nothing to do with that Vanity Fair interview, only Harry did. Either that, or they are playing with fire to show her as unsuitable.

1. She looks naked on the front cover. In the video, her buttons are half unbuttoned! She's looking at the camera trying to look sexy and playing with her hair. Compare this to Kate's Vogue editorial which was approved by the Royal press team. No way is the royal press team behind this!!!!

2. She's talking about her relationship with Harry. Obviously she got permission from Harry to do this.

How is this approved by the royal press team and please don't give me proof from what a certain Sun reporter says? As a GF, I don't believed she would need permission from the Royal press team. They don't own her.

I'm absolutely shocked with this, I thought she was learning to become discreet like other members previously said, but yet again she has to voice her opinions and release it just when the Cambridges announce baby news.

She's let it be known, she's certain they will marry. So either he's proposed or she knows it's in the bag. I found her context just like her past interviews rather arrogant.

Bad move...BUT an engagement is coming and I don't believe anyone can deny Harry's choice within his family.

She's going to be a nightmare IMO

Shocking, absolutely shocking move. This just fed more of the negative fire! How is this a good move PR wise? And I work in PR!

Last edited:
I think Harry will want her to have the best wedding possible as a way of saying that she is fully a part of the Firm and not someone that deserves a "lesser" wedding. Just my thoughts. Personally, I hope they have a huge Abbey wedding with carriages, kiss on the balcony...the works. I want a big royal wedding.

Me too! :flowers:
No matter how pretty St. George's Chapel is, it is not on the same level as the Abbey.

If you're going to have a Royal Wedding, do it right! Forget the low-key stuff and have a ROYAL wedding!!

I'm probably the only one believes the royal press team had nothing to do with that Vanity Fair interview, only Harry did. Either that, or they are playing with fire to show her as unsuitable.

1. She looks naked on the front cover. In the video, her buttons are half unbuttoned! She's looking at the camera trying to look sexy and playing with her hair. Compare this to Kate's Vogue editorial which was approved by the Royal press team. No way is the royal press team behind this!!!!

2. She's talking about her relationship with Harry. Obviously she got permission from Harry to do this.

How is this approved by the royal press team and please don't give me proof from what a certain Sun reporter says? As a GF, I don't believed she would need permission from the Royal press team. They don't own her.

I'm absolutely shocked with this, I thought she was learning to become discreet like other members previously said, but yet again she has to voice her opinions and release it just when the Cambridges announce baby news.

She's let it be known, she's certain they will marry. So either he's proposed or she knows it's in the bag. I found her context just like her past interviews rather arrogant.

Bad move...BUT an engagement is coming and I don't believe anyone can deny Harry's choice within his family.

Shocking, absolutely shocking move.

I can't even start with the other issues, but how is it that she has to voice her opinions and release it just when the Cambridges announce baby news? This is all scheduled well in advance. I highly doubt she knew about the baby (or Kate and William for that matter) when she did the interview in June. And the baby news was released prematurely because of Kate's condition and the fact that she had to cancel engagements. Not the whole world is about the Cambridges. Or out to get them.

BTW, weren't you saying she should be introduced to the public before an engagement? Got your wish, why are you still upset?

Last edited:
Yes introduce to the public like the way the other GFs have been introduced. When have I ever said to discuss her relationship with Harry and pose for Vanity Fair in this manner? And no I am not upset, just shocked how tacky this was!

Last edited:
I read the article and I think it is a good article. I was very surprised to see it, but I think it was done because of all the intrusive press attention, a lot of it negative press attention. It seems that it was done to address public interest with some simple answers about who Meghan is and how she and Harry met so that hopefully some of the speculation will stop. Unfortunately, now there will be stories about how "shocked" the Queen is over this and how now she will "never" give her approval to a marriage. Personally, I can't begin to imagine that this was done without the Queen's approval. Unfortunately, no matter what H & M do, there will still be people who are unhappy and I think they both realize that.

Shocking, absolutely shocking move.

I take it you won't be among us as we discuss an upcoming wedding and will not watch Harry and Meghan's wedding on TV or be in the crowds as I see you're in the London area because you disapprove so strongly about Meghan.

Do you have pearls that you clutch when a bit of skin is shown? I've seen Kate wearing some pretty daring decolletage over the years and no one fainted or reached for the smelling salts. I found the pictures of Meghan presented in the VF article to be very professionally well done. She's a beautiful woman both inside and outside from what I know about her.

Ah well, we all have our opinions on things. I just totally disagree with your negativity about what is right and proper for Harry. We've all seen what happens when a marriage looks good on paper and all the "proper" and "suitable" boxes are checked off. I look at Harry and Meghan as real people with a real relationship between them that they're over the moon about. That's what really matters in the long range of things. :D

That VF article definitely felt to me much more like a Will & Harry/KP press office style interview than a celebrity profile. It was much, much more limited and controlled than what I've come to expect from profiles of actors. She really barely said anything at all! And kudos to her for managing to come off as very warm and welcoming without giving the interviewer anything beyond "don't you love the ingredients I found for this lunch I made you" and "I'm very happy with my boyfriend."

Add me to the list of people shaking their heads at how quickly some folks here have spun from huffing and puffing about how shameful it is that the couple "hide from the public" or keep their relationship "secret" to now calling a very controlled and limited interview "attention-seeking."

And as for it being not in the BRF's supposed tradition of being ultra-private...that might be an accurate thing to say in a pre-Elizabeth era, but since the 1960s this family has repeatedly taken steps to open up more and more. QEII has never given an interview, true, but once she saw that it would be good PR to open up she found a way to sidestep the custom she'd established by periodically allowing documentary film crews to shadow the family. And since they first did that (back when Charles and Anne were still teens/young adults, mind you), they've continually opened up a little more and a little more and a little more yet. Future spouses have seemed to follow the lead of their royal boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance in their dealing with the press, however the trend of the moment was for that segment of the BRF to deal with things. When Charles and Di got together, he was still in his phase of lightheartedly chatting with whatever press were following him, and you see her doing the same in video of papparazi approaching her on the street. When William and Kate were dating, he was very much in a mode of letting the photographers see what he was up to but not really speaking to the press at all and she followed suit. Now Harry and the rest of the KP crew are in a phase of trying to balance a tight lock on their everyday life with periodic, highly-focused interviews with carefully chosen media outlets, and this seems in line with that strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom