The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 10:34 PM
Gentry

Scriptgirl, to your question, sadly there is a lot of racial prejudice and bias (same as the US), and classism here in the UK plus you can tell by the comments on social media and at times on here as well. My views from my observation.

E

Old 09-27-2017, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Actually, the incorrect date is in the print version. That's what they used originally for the online version, and then had to make and edit and note it.

See the Editor's Note at the bottom.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...le-cover-story
So then what about all the May/June texting and being giddy about a prince texting her? It all works.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:57 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I am confused regarding when they actually met, and when they actually started dating. From the Invictus thread it is being suggested that they met in London. In the VF interview Meghan places the dating at 5-6 months that November. Doesn't add up.

I've decided that they were ships passing at some social function in Toronto in May/June. (Harry may even have caught an episode or two of Suits). She piqued his interest, caught Harry's eye. They may not have actually spoken but he saw her, and then in July he wrangled an introduction. Dating from that point would make her comment about 5 months more in line. From the outset it seems Harry has been certain and focussed. That is so hard to resist. Anyone who has been the focal point of such ardor from an appealing man knows whereof I speak.

So she has fallen and in an astonishingly short frame of time (imo) was willing to divest of social media and income streams with an eye to conforming to royal constraints. Okay. I'm convinced.

Watching the roll out this weekend of their public persona as a couple, and then hearing that Suits is likely off her plate, and she's cancelled her Audi lease (great car!), well! Big issue is she has not lived in England, and they have not really dealt with each other 'enough' (it would seem) but who am I to say!

Let's go for it: I want a winter wedding! Engagement announced end of November/beginning of December. "Small' wedding (like Edward and Sophie) at the same venue as theirs, in February/March. First baby Sussex in December 2018. All sorted.
Bit in bold: It wasn’t an issue for Aussie Mary who gave up her old life and left everything behind to start a life as a royal in Denmark. It wasn’t an issue for Argentinian Maxima and many others. I see no reason why it should be for Meghan or why she’s questioned about it.

BTW, long relationship courtships isn’t a guarantee of a happy or successful marriage. I personally know a few who had a whirlwind romance and are still happily married.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:24 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Exactly so. What Meghan is willing to take on is trail-blazing. I will watch with great interest. BTW there is a small European country that has a Princess of color, is it Lichtenstein? One of the princes married an African? Anyone know who that is?
Princess Angela. And she’s African American, not African.

Google is our friend
Old 09-27-2017, 11:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShades View Post
Bit in bold: It wasn’t an issue for Aussie Mary who gave up her old life and left everything behind to start a life as a royal in Denmark. It wasn’t an issue for Argentinian Maxima and many others. I see no reason why it should be for Meghan or why she’s questioned about it.
Not sure what to make of this. What Meghan does is her decision. I am not questioning her about anything. I have views about the constraints being put on royal girlfriends (with the BRF), which I discussed at length on another thread. Seems a valid point of discussion to me. To each his own. Not discussing it here.

As for Mary and Maxima they were marrying heirs to the throne and would one day be Queens. I think it's a bit different in their cases and cannot be compared to Meghan vis-a-vis Harry. JMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShades View Post
BTW, long relationship courtships isn’t a guarantee of a happy or successful marriage. I personally know a few who had a whirlwind romance and are still happily married.
This all seems to be an 'issue' you are dragging over from another thread where the conversation was about protocols regarding spouses of royals needing to change imo. Not sure what you are 'arguing', unless it's just for the 'pleasure' of being scrappy. Okay.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
... Three months is a very short time to plan a wedding...
It must have been in the planning stages for some time already. I would bet that Harry's staff along with Meghan's closest advisers are comfortably working out preliminary wedding details. I believe they are engaged already. Harry probably put together a beautiful backdrop for a surprise proposal in Africa. But there were already a number of media reports stating that they were "talking about a life together" well before August.

I'm sure H&M both knew where things were heading, as most couples in love do. And like most couples, the guy was intent upon making the actual proposal special and unexpected in terms of timing. Meghan surely was not surprised that he asked, but was surely delighted at the venue and the specialness of the moment. I do not think it's a coincidence that Meghan was wearing a Misha Nonoo-designed white shirt named "The Husband," during her first casually official public outing with Harry at the Invictus Games. If H&M actually did first briefly meet during a charity event for 2017 Invictus Games, then their relationship has come full circle.

Quote:
I still have my doubts about announcing before Christmas.
I would agree that an engagement announcement could come after Christmas in January or February (Valentine's Day), but it also could come in early December, and they could decide to marry on Valentine's Day, if not mid to late summer next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
... Couldn't Meghan be a dual citizen? Why would that be bad?
Wouldn't she still have to pay U.S. taxes as a dual citizen? In that respect, I can see Meghan relinquishing her U.S. citizenship. After all, she's been living in Canada for the past 6 1/2 years.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
So then what about all the May/June texting and being giddy about a prince texting her? It all works.
She did meet Harry on that trip. But whether or not that was Harry texting her is just Piers' assumption based on who she turned out to be dating later. He said she said that she was recently single and there were a few guys being a little persistent.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I would agree that an engagement announcement could come after Christmas in January or February (Valentine's Day), but it also could come in early December, and they could decide to marry on Valentine's Day, if not mid to late summer next year.
I don't think there would need to be lingering 'goodbyes' to Thanksgiving in the U.S. and all that. She could easily move in November, depending how her filming schedule is arranged for her (she could be done at the end of October, in fact, all depends) and I have a hunch she'd have ooodles of help from Harry to make the move as seamless as possible.

The idea of a Valentine's Day Winter Wedding, what a wonderful image!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Wouldn't she still have to pay U.S. taxes as a dual citizen? In that respect, I can see Meghan relinquishing her U.S. citizenship. After all, she's been living in Canada for the past 6 1/2 years.
U.S. Taxes for 2016 but always off-set by Canadian taxes, I would guess.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:54 PM
Gentry

Lady Nimue you implied Meghan hasn’t known Harry long enough:“and they have not really dealt with each other enough” ..I merely stated my view that long courtships are no guarantees of marital success. And rather than wait for ages, if a couple are sure enough of their feelings, I see no reason to hang about for years. My opinion.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I don't think there would need to be lingering 'goodbyes' to Thanksgiving in the U.S. and all that. She could easily move in November, depending how her filming schedule is arranged for her (she could be done at the end of October, in fact, all depends) and I have a hunch she'd have ooodles of help from Harry to make the move as seamless as possible. :
It's a lot to move with dogs and all of her life. And Suits always films to late November. They've been accommodating, but there is only so much they can do. They are all signed up for all of season 7. And they film by the episode. I'm sure she'd like to do her job well and complete the entire commitment if she's already come this far. There is no need to rush a few months. It's better to do it right.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I am continually surprised that this interests so many. He is not an heir to a throne, a minor royal. Who knows what they will do, they may have broken up already. Is it because he is Diana's son or just people antsy for a love story?
Old 09-28-2017, 12:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I am continually surprised that this interests so many. He is not an heir to a throne, a minor royal. Who knows what they will do, they may have broken up already. Is it because he is Diana's son or just people antsy for a love story?
How about he's just a likable person? And he's far from minor royal. Considering how many royal activities the BRF undertakes and the fact that Charles only has two sons, he'll be prominent for years to come. And how does that lead to they could've broken up already? Especially since a competitor asked him this morning how his girlfriend is liking the game, and he responded by saying she's loving it.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:24 AM
Gentry

Quote:
How about he's just a likable person? And he's far from minor royal. Considering how many royal activities the BRF undertakes and the fact that Charles only has two sons, he'll be prominent for years to come. And how does that lead to they could've broken up already? Especially since a competitor asked him this morning how his girlfriend is liking the game, and he responded by saying she's loving it.
Agreed. You can call Harry a lot of things, but a minor royal isn't one of them, lol. He's fifth in line to the throne. He's currently in Toronto right now hosting The Invictus Games - a huge event.

And yeah - given how Meghan and Harry just showed up hand in hand to a tennis match and Harry was just quoted as you said - it's highly doubtful that they've broken up.

I think much of the interest in them is because Harry is a MAJOR royal - he's one of Diana's two sons and prior to Will marrying Kate, he was 3rd in line to the throne. Plus, people love romance and weddings. Plus, Meghan is an interesting person in her own right... she was the most searched person of 2016 on Google (probably all happened after the KP announcement). Amazing.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:29 AM
Courtier

I'm sure H&M both knew where things were heading, as most couples in love do. And like most couples, the guy was intent upon making the actual proposal special and unexpected in terms of timing. Meghan surely was not surprised that he asked, but was surely delighted at the venue and the specialness of the moment. I do not think it's a coincidence that Meghan was wearing a Misha Nonoo-designed white shirt named "The Husband," during her first casually official public outing with Harry at the Invictus Games. If H&M actually did first briefly meet during a charity event for 2017 Invictus Games, then their relationship has come full circle.

Could someone please tell me what the heck is a *Husband Shirt*? I have never heard that before in my entire life and it seems silly to call a shirt *A Husband Shirt* or is it one of Harry's shirts that she is wearing?
Old 09-28-2017, 12:32 AM
Nobility

M. Payton, you asked that same question earlier and someone here already answered it, so you must have missed it. The shirt is designed by Meghan's designer friend, Misha Nonoo, and the shirt design is called, "The Husband," which is likely a reference to ladies sometimes wearing the oversized shirts of their husbands or boyfriends. The person who already answered this question did a better job of it than me, but I don't remember how many pages ago it was already answered.

Quote:
Meghan and Harry were just out and about together two days ago, looking very comfy and intimate publicly. Meghan is reportedly currently staying with Harry at a swanky Toronto hotel, where he's residing for the duration of the Invictus Games. More than likely Meghan will appear again at the closing ceremonies. The question @Frelinghighness is, Why are some people seemingly unhappy about M&H being happy together? Is your thought that they 'may have broken up already' wishful thinking?

Quote:
Thanks to @jacqui for pointing out that the print version of VF contained the May 2016 date reference, and that it was the online VF version which cited a 'July 2016' correction. To be honest, I tend to think that H&M might have met briefly in May 2016. It has been said though that when Harry was in Toronto in May 2016 promoting Invictus, Meghan was traveling and thus out of town.

I have previously expressed my opinion that if the official word Meghan prefers to put out is that she met Harry in July 2016, then possibly Harry was in touch with her via social media at some point in May and/or June 2016. Since they do have mutual friends in common, and Harry is known to be a user of social media, he may have first set eyes on Meghan via Twitter or Instagram or Facebook. Also, he may have seen Meghan on Suits and possibly looked her up on social media, and then realized that they share mutual friends. Details and possibilities like these will never be confirmed by the principals. It's important to note though that Meghan is also quoted in the VF article as stating that she and Harry were quietly dating for about six months before their relationship became public (and it became public in early November 2016). As I said before, counting back six months or even five months from early November would land us in early to late May 2016.

The other awkward factor that could signal why Meghan cites first meeting Harry in July 2016, is that she was still involved with her former boyfriend of two years as late as April and possibly into at least early May 2016.

So whether or not H&M met briefly in May 2016 and thereafter began communicating via text, and eventually arranged to more formally meet up again in early July 2016 (as mutually planned by both of them and facilitated by Markus Anderson), is a conundrum that is unlikely to be officially cleared up. I read that one of the early revolving supporting actors on Suits had gossiped that H&M met in May 2016. Suffice to say that H&M's relationship took off after Wimbledon and gained solid footing around mid-July 2016. Meghan was traveling in Spain with Misha Nonoo and Markus Anderson in August 2016. And in September 2016, there are reports that Harry took Meghan to Birkhall to meet Prince Charles. It's also reported in H&M relationship timeline articles that Harry and Meghan visited the Cotswolds region of Britain in October 2016.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:02 AM
Courtier

Thank you very much Maia for letting me know. Your right I did miss it and now I know that I need new glasses .......and here I thought she was wearing Harry's shirt....LOL
Old 09-28-2017, 01:08 AM
Nobility

I think one of the royal reporters tweeted that the Husband shirt was "like a man's shirt, but with darts".

I'm honestly not convinced she meant anything by it, btw.. I think she just likes the shirt a lot, since there are other pics of her in it. In one on her IG, she described it as her "very favorite button down". I think she just picked something that she feels good in.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Thank you very much Maia for letting me know. Your right I did miss it and now I know that I need new glasses .......and here I thought she was wearing Harry's shirt....LOL
You should look for the better explanation here about the shirt. Designers are always coming up with clever ideas. In fact, the designers of the Finlay & Co sunglasses worn by a number of royals and celebrities, started their business on the basis of clever ideas. The story is nicely described in a recent DF article, wherein it is indicated that after Meghan was seen wearing Finlay & Co. eye wear their website crashed with a deluge of orders for the same sunglasses. Additional media outlets are also carrying the story:
Finlay & Co make £20K after Meghan Markle wears shades | Daily Mail Online A fascinating entrepreneurial success story

Finlay & Co made $37k overnight after Meghan Markle wears sunglasses - NZ Herald

Quote:
Judging by her Instagram, she was in London in late June through early July (that didn't sound creepy of me at all). It's likely when they met and started spending time together. Counting July and October (Camilla Tominey's report came out right around the time of Halloween), that's about 4 months. She rounded.
Rounding 4 months to 6 months, sounds like too much of a stretch to me. If Meghan intends July 2016 to be known as their official meeting date, then her saying they dated quietly for about 6 months before their relationship became public, seems to be some kind of Freudian slip signifying the true actuality. Or, she just purposely intends July 2016 to be known as the time they officially began dating, but she neglected to do accurate math about when their relationship became public, which was in early November 2016, which would mean they were dating quietly for 4 months.

Since whatever communication that may have been going on between H&M in May or June 2016, was not solid or official between them, I'm okay with July 2016 being stated as when they first met. But then VF needs to also correct 'dating quietly for about 6 months' to 'about 4 months.' It's possible they never met in person prior to early July 2016, but then I'm skeptical that they were never in communication before then.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:13 AM
Courtier

Never to late to learn something new even in the world of fashion.....even though Meghan wore the shirt for me, it is a sloppy look then I am not of this young generation so guess you could say I am not *in*......... I am just ole fashioned....
Old 09-28-2017, 01:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
You think they've broken up since being photographed holding hands at Invictus on Monday? That's... interesting.
I think they're comfortable, committed and ready to roll out the relationship to the public.

Closed Thread