Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How does her personality prohibit her from having less of successful marriage than others? She seems to fit in fine wherever she's gone so far. From the humble background she comes from and the elites of Toronto like the Prime Minister and his wife. I'm just trying to understand what is the specific issue here.

I agree that I don't see a problem with her personality (nor background) but wouldn't call her background 'humble'. Parents who send their children to private school are typically well-off.

I'm not against the Abbey, it just doesn't feel like them to me. (Like I know these people! LOL!) I just don't see Harry needing to or wanting to invite as many people as William. I just want Meghan and Harry to have a really nice wedding and if it's the Abbey, but pared down, I'm afraid it might seem lacking. Maybe I just can't envision it.

I am pretty sure William and Catherine didn't want it either but they had no choice (William also had to wear a different uniform than he wanted to). Harry will have more leeway and probably is quite happy that Windsor is a realistic option for him.

I agree with this point of view. I think that I'm in the minority here because I'm not enthralled with the idea of Meghan as a royal spouse. One thing that concerns me is that 60% to 67% of second marriages fail. U.S. Divorce Rates and Statistics - Divorce Stats - Divorce Source

Not only has Meghan been divorced, but her parents are divorced. This doesn't bode well. Remember the 80s and 90s, with royal brides whose parents were divorced?

Actors often come from families where there's been family breakdown. Meghan is no exception.

I wonder whether Meghan and Harry have even been together enough to have had their first major argument? If so, how have they handled it?

I'm sure that Meghan is intelligent and kind and all those things, but I'm concerned about whether she's the right one for Harry, the future HRH Duke of Wherever.

As far as I'm concerned, a year-and-a-half of long-distance romance isn't long enough. I think that Meghan should move to the UK several months before any engagement is announced and live there as a private citizen (i.e. not somewhere sheltered like a palace) to find out whether she really wants to live there long-term.

I'd hate to see Harry and Meghan marry and have a couple of children and then split up. :sad:

I'm actually offended that Meghan's past and that of her family is brought up and used against her. So what that she is a child of divorced and divorced herself? That does not make her a scarlet woman or that her marriage to Harry is doomed to failure.

Also, give her a chance to prove herself.

Also, there is a long history of divorce on the Spencer side of the family. Tons of dysfunction there. I would be more concerned about that than Meghan's family, but it seems that since people don't like her, they hone in on that.

And yes, while Harry may be 6th in line, he is Diana's son and that counts for a LOT, especially internationally and here in America. It is also the more relevant because he has her charisma and way with people. Harry and Meghan will never be small fry, esp re Charles' idea to slim the monarchy.

Last edited:
In other news, it seems that Suits is on a filming break for at least a few days (Patrick has been at beaches and in the woods, and Sarah Rafferty is in Ireland). It wouldn't surprised me to see something about Meghan being in London in the next few days.

Last edited:
Exactly. I don't see why late May or very early June shouldn't be an option. Most Royal engagements in the BRF last around six months so that should work with a late November or early December announcement. May has its moments but the weather then can be very pleasant.

Last edited:
I want a wedding as much as anyone, but I also want it done right. Being engaged is also an experience in and off it self to be enjoyed. So I'm good with them taking (a reasonable) amount of time.

I'm not against the Abbey, it just doesn't feel like them to me. (Like I know these people! LOL!) I just don't see Harry needing to or wanting to invite as many people as William. I just want Meghan and Harry to have a really nice wedding and if it's the Abbey, but pared down, I'm afraid it might seem lacking. Maybe I just can't envision it.

We will see what happens but I'm not convinced that Harry or Meghan wouldn't want a WA wedding. Maybe Harry would want to give Meghan a "grander event" both because of everything she would be giving up and also because it would allow the larger public to share in the experience. And the latter may be especially important given that Meghan is not British.

Let's get back on topic please - it's one thing to discuss the intimate details of a wedding when there hasn't even been an engagement yet, but to discuss potential divorce is ridiculous.

It’s beyond ridiculous! I don’t know why people feel they have to go there.

Exactly. I don't see why late May or very early June shouldn't be an option. Most Royal engagements in the BRF last around six months so that should work with a late November or early December announcement. May has its moments but the weather then can be very pleasant.

Thank you for stating this Curryong. This would be a beautiful time of year in the UK and while rain is always something to consider, at least warmer temperatures should be seen as a positive.?
June is the traditional month for weddings, so I'd love to see them married in that month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note that several off-topic and disruptive posts (and subsequent responses) have been deleted. Further posts that are off-topic or take the discussion off the rails will be deleted without notice.

I still say October Wedding.

I wonder what British designer will do the dress? Burberry? Anyone but Temperly. Her wedding dresses are awful.

:previous: If and when they marry I hope it's sooner than October next year! As to who she would pick to design her dress, I don't see her choosing a British designer but rather an American one as her final tip to being an "American".

I want her to do an American designer too!
Zac Posen would be great!

Aren't the Invictus Games in October 2018? Harry will be preparing for Australia.

I don't think it will be that late in the year....I'd think July or August at the latest.

LaRae

:previous:
The games are scheduled for October 20-27, 2018 in Sydney (October is spring in Australia like April in North America. July or August would be winter still.)
October seems unlikely as a wedding month when considering that.

Last edited:
And September and August are out due to the Queen being at Balmoral.

:previous: If and when they marry I hope it's sooner than October next year! As to who she would pick to design her dress, I don't see her choosing a British designer but rather an American one as her final tip to being an "American".
She might wear an American designer for pre wedding stuff, but her wedding dress will be a British designer. That's pretty much a guarantee for any bride of Harry's. The most untraditional I can see is Erdem.

And September and August are out due to the Queen being at Balmoral.

Can't they marry somewhere in Scotland?
Or can't the Queen come for two-three days to London and then go back to Balmoral?

Can't they marry somewhere in Scotland?
Or can't the Queen come for two-three days to London and then go back to Balmoral?

I don't see the then 92 year old Queen and 97 year old Philip jaunting 516 miles to London for a few days. It would be exhausting.

H&M could marry in Scotland, but it would be a smaller wedding than what most folks here seem to want for them. Zara & Mike married in Edinburgh at Canongate Kirk, their reception was at the Palace of Holyroodhouse. I think they had about 300 guests.
And of course, Princess Anne married her 2nd husband at Crathie Kirk but that was a very small private wedding.

Last edited:
I think St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle is a good location for Harry and Meghan's wedding. It gives the ambiance of a royal wedding but allows less formality. I can see some American wedding customs playing into the ceremony and reception, like a groom's cake for Harry.

It's really hard to know who she might use ...there are so many designers for her to pick from. Most any of them will be designing something with her input so it's won't necessarily be like some of their other dresses.

LaRae

Pranter, what designers are you thinking? The only Brit designers I know are McQueen, Temperly, Burberry, Jonathan Saunders, Preen.

Westminster Abbey or bust.

Time line for me: (well what seems practical)

-not engaged yet but are under understanding will soon be
-she moves in end of November under fiancé visa (6 months to wed)
-they spend the pre-season together, she goes home to see family for Christmas while he is at Sandringham
-meet up for a vacation between Christmas and New years, one year anniversary of first trip they took. Possibly proposal then.
-Scotland with his family for New Years to tell family. Announce early January

Wedding end of May. May 26 seems likely date:
-Saturday so no concerns for not being bank holiday
-weeks after Kate is due so no worry about baby or her not attending
-before all the big events in June

Also allows for a good honeymoon before June. They could go for a 10-12 day honeymoon and be back for Trooping. She could make her first official debut, after wedding, at Trooping of the color. She would be able to attend Trooping, Order of the Garter, and Ascot as his wife in June.

In October they make their first big trip abroad married, to Invictus in Australia.

I am leaning towards St. George's. 800 people is more then enough room for such a wedding. Likely have seats left open. Unlike the Cambridges there wont be hundreds of politicians and other figures that aren't personal guests. There may be some required guests but certainly not that many.

Last edited:
Marchesa? No. It is owned by Harvey Weinstein's wife. There is no way that would happen. I hope you are being facetious. Many in the fashion industry are giving Marchesa the cold shoulder.

Otherwise, it is a good timeline.

I want Westminster Abbey because I want pomp and circumstance. And also it will be the last major royal wedding for many years.

Pranter, what designers are you thinking? The only Brit designers I know are McQueen, Temperly, Burberry, Jonathan Saunders, Preen.

Westminster Abbey or bust.

Assuming she uses a Brit designer. I think generally the BRF brides do but she's rather unique since she's American with ties to Canada. Anything is possible.

Even if she goes with a Brit she will have a hand in the design so I wouldn't discount a designer that generally a person doesn't care for, they could come up with a very nice dress.

LaRae

Yes it's possible..just depends on how she wants to approach things. Will she follow the BRF tradition and use an English designer in honor of the country she's becoming a citizen of and the family she's marrying into?

Will be interesting to see which one.

LaRae

It’s possible she may have two designers-one for bridal gown and another for reception gown. That was it’s a nod to both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom