Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The anticipation for me is like a little child waiting for Santa-I can’t wait! To Pranter and Lady N (being somewhat new here, I’ve never joined a group before) if someone disagrees with me in a post, am I to respond? It sounds a silly question but not sure of the answer.

I agree. I do think we are seeing a controlled roll out. And I think William and Harry learned from their mother how, if not to control the press, than to get ahead of the narrative. I have never thought Charles was press savvy.

More on alleged Cotswolds house hunting, this time from a more reputable source.

https://www.vogue.com/article/princ...lds-house-hunting-reports?mbid=social_twitter

Definitely William & Harry are much more adroit in handling the press. I often think about if Diana came of age/married into the RF in the time of social media. I mean, it was huge at the time (I was young, but definitely remember!) - I think would be crazy in 2017!

The anticipation for me is like a little child waiting for Santa-I can’t wait! To Pranter and Lady N (being somewhat new here, I’ve never joined a group before) if someone disagrees with me in a post, am I to respond? It sounds a silly question but not sure of the answer.

You can respond to any post. We just try not to make it personal although it happens. The mods do an excellent job here but the more contentious threads get locked and sometimes don’t open again for a week or longer.

It’s not a ‘fan site’ and all royals here get loads of criticism but I’ve decided that although I’ll always reserve my right to comment, for the most I’ll leave this thread for the ‘fans’ since I follow the Cambridges more so I do Harry.

Keep it civil and on topic and you’ll never have the thread locked. Take personal shots or veer too much of subject and the mods have to clean up and their time is valuable. Happy posting.

Well I hope so because I do! :D

Hi guys! I'm new here. I've been lurking for a bit, debating back and forth whether I wanted to jump in. Finally decided today is the day! I will be super upfront. I am really crazy about this Meghan/Harry relationship. I've been following it pretty closely since it was announced last November (on election day! Only good piece of news out of that day in my opinion, but I digress:) ) Anyway, I've been hooked on them ever since. And I'm going to be honest a lot of my interest has to do with Meghan's background. As an African-American woman, around her age (ok a few years older. Ok four years older! :) ) I am excited to see a woman of color, an American woman of color in this position. I had the opportunity to work on the Obama O8 campaign and in the administration (no politics!) so I'm always happy to see barriers being broken. It's a shame Meghan possibly marrying into the British Royal Family is still seen as a big deal, but here we are! And Harry has always been my favorite. So it all works out! I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the US but my girlfriends and I are pretty stoked about the whole thing.

I have been reading everyone's posts, with so much awesome insight and perspective. I do have a few things I'd like to throw out there too.

First, my thought is they are engaged. I'm not sure if it happened in Africa because I think Harry might not want to do what his brother did. But then again Africa is a big place and they went to completely different countries, so that may not have been a consideration. Wherever it happened I'm betting it has happened. I just don't see her doing that VF interview or them being so very public if not.

I think they have spent more time together than the public knows. So I'm not really that concerned about the seemingly accelerated time as some. Besides being a woman of "a certain age" I know that dating in your 30's is not like dating in your 20's. Especially when you have a stated desire to have a family. You tend to be much more picky and selective about who you invest time in. I don't see Meghan or Harry wasting the better part of a year on a relationship without really thinking it through. All the obstacles and logistics. And being who Harry is that's a discussion that would need to happen pretty early on. If the end result will be someone having to leave their country and their career in order to be with you, you better believe that they have had to have some long, difficult conversations, before things went to far. The fact that they are where they are in their relationship over a year later tells me all I need to know. This is serious and most likely a lot of these issues have been discussed and/or figured out. We just don't know about it yet! LOL!

I do have some thoughts on the citizenship/Visa issue but this post is already pretty long and I don't want to wear out my welcome in the first post! LOL! So I 'll save that for its own post.

Welcome! I’m a big Meghan & Harry fan as well. November 8 (day of Harry’s statement) was my bday. I too found his acknowledgement of the relationship a much needed bright spot that day ;).

I think they are engaged also. Not sure when it happened, but I feel like it did.

I agree. I do think we are seeing a controlled roll out. And I think William and Harry learned from their mother how, if not to control the press, than to get ahead of the narrative. I have never thought Charles was press savvy.

More on alleged Cotswolds house hunting, this time from a more reputable source.

https://www.vogue.com/article/princ...lds-house-hunting-reports?mbid=social_twitter

Journalism is now just cut and paste clickbait articles. It seems the Prince Harry buys a house or is looking at real estate articles pre date Meghan Markle. It could be true but IMHO its not true until its true.

According to the US Weekly Harry's preference is to get married at St George's Windsor, to 'preserve privacy', lol.

Prince Harry Doesn't Want Wedding to Be 'Pomp and Pageantry' - Us Weekly

Actually, I strongly suspect that Harry's personal preference for a wedding venue would be somewhere warm and sultry, with a great party afterwards! However he, and Meghan of course, will probably like the cosiness of St George's as distinct from the Abbey.

And it seats something like 800 so even after inviting the must haves it still leaves lots of room for family and friends.

I'm still betting on Westminster Abbey.

LaRae

I'm still betting on Westminster Abbey.

LaRae

Me too.

I know some have pointed out Edward and Sophie got married there and hence that's the new place for spares. However, I'd like to point out that Sophie and Edward weren't expected to be full time royals then and Peter Phillips also got married there. So it seems to be the grander place for non working royals and hardly a pattern for spares.

Harry and Meghan may indeed prefer St George's but US Weekly is about as reliable as the DM.

I'm still partial to WA, mostly for the balcony appearance, to be honest.

As for whether the two are already engaged, it's certainly possible. I mean, some of us have been discussing a December engagement announcement and if that's actually in the plans, then I am not sure why they'd delay a private engagement.

Last edited:
Harry and Meghan may indeed prefer St George's but US Weekly is about as reliable as the DM.

I'm still partial to WA, mostly for the balcony appearance, to be honest.

It claims having it at St. George will be less of a media circus, clearly they don't know what they are talking about. It'll be a media circus either way and the media will be tripping over themselves to cover it no matter the location.

Given that it would be Meghan's second marriage, Windsor seems more likely to me - but that didn't hinder Letizia getting married in the Cathedral, so I don't rule out the Abbey for Harry and Meghan either.

Lainey of LaineyGossip pointed out that the Palace was leaking info to US Weekly before they were sold to the company that owns the National Enquirer. Lainey said US mag had really good royal scoops on Merry (Meghan and Harry combined-I am sick of writing out their names).

But now, I doubt that story is true. I bet on Westminster. Harry is hugely popular and there will be huge international interest in this wedding.

According to the US Weekly Harry's preference is to get married at St George's Windsor, to 'preserve privacy', lol.

Prince Harry Doesn't Want Wedding to Be 'Pomp and Pageantry' - Us Weekly

Actually, I strongly suspect that Harry's personal preference for a wedding venue would be somewhere warm and sultry, with a great party afterwards! However he, and Meghan of course, will probably like the cosiness of St George's as distinct from the Abbey.

I've read that this was actually William and Catherine's first choice, but the government and BP vetoed that idea.
St. George's is beautiful and intimate. It's a wonderful setting for a royal wedding. However I do believe that in the end that WA will be the final choice.

So I'm actually hoping for St. George's! I know crazy. I just think it is cozier. I know it will be a huge media event no matter where it is, but I think they will be able to control things better in Windsor. Also I very selfishly want Harry and Meghan to be able to avoid as many Will and Kate comparisons as possible. I mean they are coming regardless, but having their wedding festivities in Windsor would allow them to really make that day their own. Peter Philips wedding wasn't televised. So the last time the public saw a wedding at St. George's was in 1999 with Edward and Sophie. And Charles and Camilla had their wedding blessing there. So it will be a kind of "new" venue for a lot of viewers. Anyway anything they pick will be awesome and special but I wouldn't mind seeing it at St. George's.

Lainey of LaineyGossip pointed out that the Palace was leaking info to US Weekly before they were sold to the company that owns the National Enquirer. Lainey said US mag had really good royal scoops on Merry (Meghan and Harry combined-I am sick of writing out their names).

But now, I doubt that story is true. I bet on Westminster. Harry is hugely popular and there will be huge international interest in this wedding.

I can't think of any good scoops that have come from US Weekly, re: Harry and Meghan. If the Palace, Harry or Meghan were gonna leak to a US outlet, I'd think it would People Mag, which is a more reputable source.

How and when she enters may very well have to do with visa or no visa. And not because of the length of time it takes to get one.

The visa she would enter on is a fiancé visa. Technically they wouldn't have to be engaged yet, as no legal forms needed for that. They would have to meet other requirements like age and him having the money to support her, which is obviously not an issue. But the issue would be that it requires them to marry within six months of her entering the country. If she moves at the end of November lets say, on a fiancé visa, they would need to marry by the end of May. That may not be an issue, many have suggested it as a wedding date. It would be well after Kate gave birth so not an issue really. And would give plenty of time for them to plan a wedding after an engagement.

If they don't want to marry by the end of May that leaves them with two options.

-she wait to move to the UK officially until later
or
-she simply come over as a tourist for now. She should be allowed to take her dogs, even if just a tourist. But she would not be able to ship over all of her things. She cant be seen as 'living' in the UK on a tourist visa, which means no to bringing everything she owns over.

So do they marry by end of May or does she put her things in storage for a while before she officially moves to the UK.

Given that it would be Meghan's second marriage, Windsor seems more likely to me - but that didn't hinder Letizia getting married in the Cathedral, so I don't rule out the Abbey for Harry and Meghan either.

This would be Harry's first marriage though and I think that will be more of a determining factor than Meghan having already been married.

I don't think they are engaged yet nor are they filing any visa paperwork privately yet. They might have the paperwork all filled out and ready to file to the correct authorities as soon as the engagement is announced but there's no way that she is entering the UK on a fiance visa unless the engagement has been publicly announced for one reason and one reason alone - the moment that paperwork is submitted to the British immigration services, the chances of it being leaked before an engagement is announced are astronomical. It will be just as easy, after an engagement is announced, for her to file the necessary paperwork to obtain the fiance visa.

And before others start going on about the cost of storing her belongings... Please, she and Harry both have the financial means to afford two or three months of rent at the nearest storage unit facility.

The anticipation for me is like a little child waiting for Santa-I can’t wait!

I can relate as I love weddings, too, and especially royal weddings as they usually have a great deal of style (one way or another). Fun! :flowers:

To Pranter and Lady N (being somewhat new here, I’ve never joined a group before) if someone disagrees with me in a post, am I to respond? It sounds a silly question but not sure of the answer.

I have never found anyone calling someone out personally in a post particularly pleasant, either to experience myself, or see someone else subject to it. :sad: Being challenged on one's views seems pointless to me as it suggests that we have time to engage in one-on-one debate on a pov that can be pretty fluffy (to begin with) when one considers it in the grand scheme of things. :cool: JMO.

I try to make my posts generic, addressed to ideas and not posters. If I have a desire to discuss someone's pov I will resort to a personal message (pm) for that. This is just the way I approach posting, but as a couple of posters have already hinted, getting personal can be counter-productive (if filled with animus for someone's pov) and can and usually does get a thread shut down. :cool:

One thing that is pretty important when discussing different points of view and opinions is that its a general rule here that you should be able to put your money where your mouth is and back it up with credible sources. This keeps things more on a factual basis and keeps the conversations intelligent and informative and we get a clear picture.

Its OK to call out on an opinion or a point of view but never OK to call out on a poster themselves. We try not to demean or disparage anyone here.

Given that royalty are engaged in a sort of servitude (an enormous amount of personal freedom is sacrificed to inhabit that world of perceived 'privilege' and status) I think a visa fast track for the girlfriend of a prince just makes sense. ;) Royals have hard enough of a time snagging suitable/willing partners, why give them grief over a visa process? Fast track it, I say!

Fast track it, I say!

YOU may say so, but the general public in Britain [where it matters] fail to see the 'servitude', see only the glamour, Palaces and [for Women], Jewels.

So 'jumping the Queue' for the already immensely privileged is not acceptable, and Ms Markle has better join the end of it [like EVERYONE else].

Considering how popular Harry is right now , it is tough to imagine his wedding without a balcony appearance !

Royal family thrives and survives on popularity alone so Harry n Meghan wedding without the public being a part of it is little tough to digest !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom