The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-25-2017, 10:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
I too am super excited for this. I hope Meghan still manages to be herself when she marries in. Maxima is a good example of a royal who has stayed true to herself. She is a good role model for Meghan.
It did take Máxima some time to be true to herself. Just look back at the introduction visits she made to the provinces to see how she at first tried to be rather safe then sorry, and only later gained the courage to show more of herself (probably with the jacket on Queen's Day in 2004 as the break-through).

I guess each 'new royal' needs some time to strike the right balance between being true to yourself and behaving and clothing appropriately for the job (most people probably choose 'safe' when starting a new job).

Old 09-25-2017, 10:56 PM
Gentry

I think they should announce the engagement very soon - like early October, and prep for a January winter wedding.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
I think they should announce the engagement very soon - like early October, and prep for a January winter wedding.
She is filming her show until the end of November. Even if they could plan a royal wedding in three months, she would be expected to be in London for the planning and people to get to know her.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:03 PM
Courtier

A couple of royal reporters that were at wheelchair tennis today have said that, compared to others at the game, Meghan was slightly more overdressed. Does that satisfy those that questioned the appropriateness of her clothing at the game?
Old 09-25-2017, 11:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
Thanks Pranter!

I think it's amazing how times have changed. During Edward's time, this probably wouldn't have been possible... and definitely during Diana's time it wouldn't have been. The world just wasn't ready yet.

Some still aren't ready, lol.
Well we Americans are still trying to live down the last American to marrying into the BRF! Hopefully Meghan, if they marry, will be a wonderful example.

She and Harry sure do appear happy and well suited for each other. We can thank all the folks who came before us, they laid the groundwork.

LaRae
Old 09-25-2017, 11:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
She is filming her show until the end of November. Even if they could plan a royal wedding in three months, she would be expected to be in London for the planning and people to get to know her.
I agree with you and many others that an engagement announcement is highly unlikely as long as she is filming. So, late November at the earliest - although they might want to try to surprise us; not sure what date they would need to pick for that... March seems the earliest possible month for a wedding; early April would also be an option (unless the Queen is adamant that it does not take place during Lent). If not (especially with a later engagement announcement), late May or June seem likely options.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
By sister in law I mean my brother in law's wife. Not my own brother. I meant it as in Meghan planning the wedding.
It would be Harry's wedding too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I agree with you and many others that an engagement announcement is highly unlikely as long as she is filming. So, late November at the earliest - although they might want to try to surprise us; not sure what date they would need to pick for that... March seems the earliest possible month for a wedding; early April would also be an option (unless the Queen is adamant that it does not take place during Lent). If not (especially with a later engagement announcement), late May or June seem likely options.
Easter is April 1st next year, so no Lenten worries for April.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Easter is April 1st next year, so no Lenten worries for April.
Thanks! Forgot to check the Calendar. Well, in that case Friday (sticking with the same day of the week as William & Catherine) April 6, 2018 would be nice if they don't want to wait too long

Getting ahead... let's see whether an engagement will indeed be announced some time this year.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:02 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
It would be Harry's wedding too.
Yeah I'd find it odd if they planned a wedding without considering Kate's due date. I mean - I would think they'd want to make sure the entire family on both sides (minus some notable exceptions, lol) could attend. And William would be best man - I'd hope Harry would consider his brother and I'd hope Meghan would consider her future family too. I mean - I can't imagine otherwise.

All I know is, if M&H do get engaged and married, I'm hosting a royal sleepover party Blair Waldorf style to watch it, lol.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:11 AM
Commoner

Meghan s dressing was normal and easy . White shirt and denim is the most classic style statement !

She looked grt and amazing that she s herself and isn't trying too hard !

Love the flats too ��
Old 09-26-2017, 12:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
Yeah I'd find it odd if they planned a wedding without considering Kate's due date. I mean - I would think they'd want to make sure the entire family on both sides (minus some notable exceptions, lol) could attend. And William would be best man - I'd hope Harry would consider his brother and I'd hope Meghan would consider her future family too. I mean - I can't imagine otherwise.

Btw - when is Kate due anyway? I haven't kept up with that.

All I know is, if M&H do get engaged and married, I'm hosting a royal sleepover party Blair Waldorf style to watch it, lol.

IIRC folks are guessing late March or early April ..at least that's the ranges I've seen posted.

LaRae
Old 09-26-2017, 12:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
IIRC folks are guessing late March or early April ..at least that's the ranges I've seen posted.

LaRae
Wasn't that mostly based on the assumption that William said that they were going to celebrate a week later; and therefore, people assuming that Catherine must have been about 11 weeks pregnant? If she was only 6 weeks pregnant (when HG apparently typically starts to hit - and more consistent with the time table with princess Charlotte), late April would be more likely.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Wasn't that mostly based on the assumption that William said that they were going to celebrate a week later; and therefore, people assuming that Catherine must have been about 11 weeks pregnant? If she was only 6 weeks pregnant (when HG apparently typically starts to hit - and more consistent with the time table with princess Charlotte), late April would be more likely.
Then it's likely a summer wedding. The girl does have to move across the pond and likely travel to LA for holidays. I'd say everyone should give her a little bit of time to settle in.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:56 AM
Aristocracy

I hope this is not off topic, but I am a little uncomfortable with people comparing Meghan to Wallis or mentioning them together.

Their situations are totally different, they are different people and while techinically, Wallis did marry into the royal family, she also didn't. She wasn't around them and did no royal duties as will Meghan.

What I wonder and I would love input from veteran royal watchers, is it true, as many have said, that Meghan will not work much? That she will do a little bit here and there, but take a back seat mainly not to over shadow Kate?

Also, will Meghan and Harry have their own seperate court, so to speak, rather offices instead of sharing them with William and Kate?

And I wonder if Meghan will be forced to take on non controversial charities, like hospitals and children instead of controversial ones like sex trafficking, like Camilla does?
Old 09-26-2017, 01:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
We don't know really when she started having issue for sure or how far along she was when it started, some have suggested 8 to 10 weeks when they announced. It's all guessing at this point.

LaRae

Quote:
I hope this is not off topic, but I am a little uncomfortable with people comparing Meghan to Wallis or mentioning them together.

Their situations are totally different, they are different people and while techinically, Wallis did marry into the royal family, she also didn't. She wasn't around them and did no royal duties as will Meghan.

What I wonder and I would love input from veteran royal watchers, is it true, as many have said, that Meghan will not work much? That she will do a little bit here and there, but take a back seat mainly not to over shadow Kate?

Also, will Meghan and Harry have their own seperate court, so to speak, rather offices instead of sharing them with William and Kate?

And I wonder if Meghan will be forced to take on non controversial charities, like hospitals and children instead of controversial ones like sex trafficking, like Camilla does?
The only comparison between Meghan and Wallis is they are/were Americans and both divorced. Not sure why that makes you uncomfortable? It's just simple facts...assuming M&H do marry.

Assuming they marry then Meghan and Harry will work as directed by the Queen (or King). They will still have their private charities as Harry does now. It really has nothing to do with William and Kate.

There is no separate court. They will all work for the same family as directed by the Monarch. As far as offices...that would depend on them...is there room, is it practical etc.

Not sure why Meghan would be forced to take on non-controversial charities? I would imagine that she will be pretty free to support almost any charity she wishes too. Diana supported AIDS charities which was about as controversial as you could get back in the day. So not a new thing really.

LaRae
Old 09-26-2017, 02:35 AM
Nobility

Those last pictures from Prince Harry and Meghan Markle definitely remind me of Prince William and Kate Middleton arriving together at Harry Meade's wedding in October 2010.

Three weeks later, Diana's engagement ring showed up again on Kate's finger.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:29 AM
Nobility

So, I follow along here during the daytime via my cell phone but don't post because I always forget my password. Today was pretty interesting to me. I was reading all the discussion about *horrors* Meghan's torn skinny jeans, before I realized that I'd missed the link to the original DM article and twitter pics of her attending the wheelchair tennis match. In my mind, I'm picturing torn skinny jeans of the sort I just purchased a few weeks for my almost 16-year old niece to start the school year. Meaning, several rips, strategically placed on the thighs, knees, or calves (but not on the butt cheeks or seat because she doesn't care for that), some so large that I question why anyone would pay money for them since I'm pretty sure you can achieve the same effect with a pair of scissors and a bit of effort. Much to my surprise, Meghan's torn skinny jeans had exactly one tear, in the knee, and tattered cuffs, and I thought to myself, "why are people on TRF upset or offended by her attire?" I suppose, that right there, is what makes TRF a great forum - the variety of perspectives and opinions, usually so politely shared. But, I still stand by my opinion of several hours ago... Meghan's torn skinny jeans are hardly anything to write home about, if my middle-class suburban teenage niece's decidedly bourgeois fashion sense is anything to measure against. Oh, and yes, torn skinny jeans are still quite the rage in this part of the world.

Also, I'd like to say that I think an engagement announcement will happen before year-end. Meghan and Harry looked so comfortable and happy together today. I've thought, since the VF article hit the newsstands earlier this month, that it was a pretty strong possibility, but today's appearance puts me into a "when" not "if" mode of thinking.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:35 AM
Commoner

I'm sure Harry would want Kate at his wedding . He's so close to his brother n sister in law . She's family!!! So am sure any wedding date would be made around when Kate will attend it .
Old 09-26-2017, 03:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Two things I’d like to see her ditch right off the bat are draping jackets over her shoulders. It looks silly. She did it at Invictus and that’s the third time I’ve seen her do it.

The other thing is that god awful posing for the camera with her legs crossed in front of her. A lot of celebrities do this and it always looks like she has to go to the loo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Just a little bit in support of Rudolph's assessment of crossing legs, it brought back memories of my mother harping at me over and over again that a lady never crosses her legs but rather crosses her ankles while sitting.

Basically, I think that rule has gone out the window just as never going out in public without a hat and gloves on.

One thing very nice though when Meghan and Harry do announce their engagement and then marry, Meghan will get her very own fashion thread here and I can ignore it all I want.
I think it depends on the legs to be honest. Those with long slim legs can cross them and look elegant, those with short legs end up with the crossed leg sticking out and not in a good way.

But, when it comes down to it I think it has more to do with the perception that crossed legs were/are believed to cause varicose veins.
Quote:

In short, no! Harry's charities do not all involve the Cambridge's, Invictus is a perfect example of Harry's life experience bringing service personnel and health to his attention.

Should Meghan marry Harry, I am sure she will also stick with her general feeling towards charities. Meghan has also touched on the exploitation of women and I can't see her ditching anything. She is a self-avowed feminist in the very best way.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea6 View Post
I'm sure Harry would want Kate at his wedding . He's so close to his brother n sister in law . She's family!!! So am sure any wedding date would be made around when Kate will attend it .
I have to agree. I think that Kate and Harry get on very well with each other and he certainly loves her like the sister he never had. There is no doubt in my mind that Harry will want both William and Kate at his wedding, whenever that happens.