Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meghan is not what Royal journalists are used to or expected as a bride for Harry. She is an older divorced American actress of mixed ancestry and very different from Harry's previous longterm girlfriends. Arbiter and Ingrid particularly seemed to dismiss the possibility of a serious relationship between H&M.

I think it took them awhile to become acclimated to the idea. Now that it has become obvious that it is serious the early skeptics are more positive-it would not be in their best interests to be otherwise.

Thank you, O-H Anglophile! :flowers: I see. People certainly are swooshing them towards an 'inevitable'. Hope this is not a Diana Redux. Decisions made because expected, not genuinely wanted or 'right' for those involved. :huh:

Thank you, O-H Anglophile! :flowers: I see. People certainly are swooshing them towards an 'inevitable'. Hope this is not a Diana Redux. Decisions made because expected, not genuinely wanted or 'right' for those involved. :huh:

I think Meghan and Harry themselves are the ones driving this bus, not others expectations.

What exactly is involved in getting the visa?

You can google moving to the UK etc and find out.

LaRae

This situation is nothing at all like the C&D situation. No idea why that would even be brought up...

LaRae

They certainly better have things in the works..... It may be seemless, but it takes time. Can you imagine the backlash that would come if it got out the queen stepped in and made it so she got a visa in 24 hours instead of the standard time it takes to process? The reality is paper work takes time. It may be simple paper work, but it takes times.

I would imagine they wouldn't want that to happen either. Meghan has gotten some sort of work Visa before so she should have a little bit of an idea how to go about it...of course she can get guidance the Visa process too if needed.

If they have already known the direction things are going my guess is they are paying attention to timelines etc.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with O-H. Harry and Meghan are the ones driving this. I think Harry might be consulting KP, but he and Meghan are the ones calling the shots.

I think Meghan and Harry themselves are the ones driving this bus, not others expectations.
:previous::previous::previous:AGREE AGREE AGREE!!!

Meghan and Harry are like William and Kate: "us against the world" - meaning they are a unit and will only be driven by their decisions - not others.

I don't see why Jessica couldn't continue to style Jessica. They could do a lot of work via Facetime and Skype.

I really doubt Meghan would be that adamant about Jessica staying on as her stylist. To me, they always seemed to have a more casual relationship, like a friend offering her more informed opinion on what does/doesn't look good. And once Meghan moves to London, I imagine she'll need someone who is present, someone she can call and rely on more often.

There are so many major differences between the two, that I'm not sure what would give anyone the impression that this may be a Diana redux? The media, fans, royal watchers may be eagerly anticipating an engagement announcement but I've seen no reason to believe that Harry or Meghan would be influenced or pressured into doing something they didn't want or weren't ready for. The fact that they have chosen to be so public recently, defying a lot of people's expectations, tells me that they know what they want and are very much in control.

I agree with O-H. Harry and Meghan are the ones driving this. I think Harry might be consulting KP, but he and Meghan are the ones calling the shots.

They are in the drivers seat no doubt about that. The media does get fussy and tries to control the story but Harry and Meghan are steering the ship.

I don't think anyone has ever expected anything from Harry and Meghan. She in no way would not marry him, if she wasn't in love with him, imo. She's not a naive 20 year old, she's an adult woman who's lived life, has had long lasting relationships, which ended. She doesn't 'need' to get married. And as for Harry, there'd be much easier choices for him, if he was pushed to get married. I have no doubt about this.

I'm mostly on "engagement watch " with these two. I have read 2 articles that suggests the announcement will come the end of November.

You can google moving to the UK etc

I would imagine they wouldn't want that to happen either. Meghan has gotten some sort of work Visa before so she should have a little bit of an idea how to go about it...of course she can get guidance the Visa process too if needed.

If they have already known the direction things are going my guess is they are paying attention to timelines etc.

LaRae
What category do you think she is or will be applying for? A work visa is out of the question as she has no employer in the UK, a permanent 'family of a setyled person' visa one would be hard as being someone's girlfriend is not enough (being a fiancée is!). From my perspective, unless they use Harry's royal status and somehow arrange a (US) diplomatic passport for her or make exceptions on the basis of Harry's position as a prince and Meghan being his girlfriend, as long as there is no engagement, she can't apply for a permanent visa but she can apply for the 'join partner or family for long stay' (up to 6 months) but as that's only a temporary solution, she might not be allowed to move her stuff.

This is of course, if the normal rules apply for her, I am not sure that would be the case. I just hope they won't make exceptions at least until she is a royal fianceé (i.e., it has been made official that she is going to join the BRF).

I'm mostly on "engagement watch " with these two. I have read 2 articles that suggests the announcement will come the end of November.

That's indeed the earliest expected date by almost anyone. Suits is filming until November 15. The Duke and Queen's 70th wedding anniversary is the 20th, so after that it's up to them...

Anyone saying the UK visa system is quick and straightforward clearly has no experience of it. What might seem simple when written in a piece of legislation is not so in practice. Getting a visa to remain in the UK long term can be very difficult as is getting UK citizenship.

I have a friend who, despite living in the UK for over 20 years having come here as a child, and being married to a British citizen has never actually taken on British citizenship. Now the UK is leaving the EU she is desperate to get her British passport. It's so far taken over a year and cost over £1,000 and she's still not there yet.

Of course elements of this will be made easier for Meghan but if rules and regulations are waived for her you better believe there will be an almightly outcry from the press and public alike. It would be a PR disaster of huge proportions.

I suspect she might have some sort of visa already if she's ever been to the UK to work in a film previously, we have an extensive film and TV industry here don't forget. That might negate the requirement for a further visa but she will still require citizenship at some point I assume.

Sorry to hear about your friend's plight. It shouldn't take long if she is married to a british citizen. No?!

Meghan can freely come to the UK as a tourist. As she has done on earlier visits to Harry. No visa required. If she wants to move to the UK, she will need a visa. According to the government website the 'family of a settled person' visa (that she can apply for as a fiancée) takes 12 weeks to process - longer if some papers are missing or incorrect. Alernatively, she can first 'join partner for long stay' (no visa required for American citizens) and apply for the permanent visa while in the UK. In that case the process takes 8 weeks if all docs are ok.

Sorry to hear about your friend's plight. It shouldn't take long if she is married to a british citizen. No?!

Just being married to a citizen is typically not enough. Most countries have other requirements as well (but they vary between countries) before you can become a citizen.

PetticoatLane, I hope that your friend soon gets granted her citizenship. Could the delay be due to the enormous influx of citizenship applications after the Brexit vote? Getting citizenship would be good for her peace of mind as these processes can be very stressful.

(Never applied for citizenship myself, but have friends who did and in one case the hick-up was with type of work contract and earning a sufficient amount of money. I do have multiple experiences with applying for long-term visa for different countries though; currently 'waiting' to be approved ourselves - not for UK)

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree 100%. I am on pins and needles waiting for the next appearance and the engagement announcement.

Also, the engagement announcement, if it comes in November would have to be after the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's anniversary celebration and most likely before US Thanksgiving. Is it likely Meghan could show up to the Queen's wedding anniversary celebrations or the Queen's Xmas lunch?

Also, would Harry and Meghan's kids have dual citizenship?

Last edited:
Me three! I can't wait. Harry and Meghan may see each other in Chicago, otherwise it's probably going to be a bit of a drought in catching any glimpse of them together until at least mid November. Sigh!

If Ms Markle is given 'special treatment' for her inward immigration there would be VERY BAD publicity reprecussions for herself, Prince Harry and the BRF...

'Skipping the queue' just isn't on !

Exceptions for the privileged are ENTIRELY unacceptable these days.

I think we talked about citizenship issues before. I’m not sure if the children could become dual citizens or not but my opinion is if Meghan is prepared to marry Harry, she needs to be prepared to make some big sacrifices and that involves leaving a part of her life behind.

There will be a lot of expectations put on her and the sooner she becomes ‘British’ the better.

No issues of people questioning her ‘loyalties’

I wouldn't be surprised at all if applications for a visa are in motion already and probably have been for some weeks.

Also, the engagement announcement, if it comes in November would have to be after the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's anniversary celebration and most likely before US Thanksgiving. Is it likely Meghan could show up to the Queen's wedding anniversary celebrations or the Queen's Xmas lunch?

Also, would Harry and Meghan's kids have dual citizenship?

The US Thanksgiving is 23rd this year. Given that the Queen's anniversary is 20th, it's highly doubtful to come before Thanksgiving.

And their kids would be eligible for dual citizenship, but I don't believe that they would go for that option. It's still up for debate whether Meghan would keep her US citizenship once she marries as she will be a representative of the Queen.

If Ms Markle is given 'special treatment' for her inward immigration there would be VERY BAD publicity reprecussions for herself, Prince Harry and the BRF...

'Skipping the queue' just isn't on !

Exceptions for the privileged are ENTIRELY unacceptable these days.

Except, she'll be representing the Queen. It'd cause a bigger controversy if one of the full time royals representing HMQ on a regular basis both in Britain and overseas isn't a subject of the Queen.

I'm not saying there won't be any voices of dissent on this, but it's likely more acceptable for her to be a British citizen than not from the beginning of her marriage. It's a delicate situation, and it'll cause some people to be unhappy either way.

Last edited:
I think we talked about citizenship issues before. I’m not sure if the children could become dual citizens or not but my opinion is if Meghan is prepared to marry Harry, she needs to be prepared to make some big sacrifices and that involves leaving a part of her life behind.

There will be a lot of expectations put on her and the sooner she becomes ‘British’ the better.

No issues of people questioning her ‘loyalties’

As a global society now days are people really going to be concerned about the loyalties of someone from one the U.S.? I mean except for that one ah..'incident' relations between the U.S. and U.K. are fairly warm for decades.

LaRae

I wouldn't be surprised at all if applications for a visa are in motion already and probably have been for some weeks.

But on what basis? As it stands she has no grounds to apply for a permanent visa if I understand it correctly: she has no work lined up nor is a family member (as long as she isn't engaged)...

For a temporary stay she doesn't need a visa.

As a global society now days are people really going to be concerned about the loyalties of someone from one the U.S.? I mean except for that one ah..'incident' relations between the U.S. and U.K. are fairly warm for decades.

LaRae

I think there are a lot of resentment to the global society concept. Not trying to get into politics, but Brexit and the US election, both rather protectionist, last year made that pretty clear.

But on what basis? As it stands she has no grounds to apply for a permanent visa if I understand it correctly: she has no work lined up nor is a family member (as long as she isn't engaged)...

For a temporary stay she doesn't need a visa.

I'm on the side that she'll be in UK as a tourist until there is an engagement. Once they are engaged, she'll likely be granted citizenship rather than go through the fiancee visa. I think all of that will be taken care of or at least very decided prior to any announcement.

Last edited:
I think there are a lot of resentment to the global society concept. Not trying to get into politics, but Brexit and the US election, both rather protectionist, last year made that pretty clear.

Doesn't really have to be political...I would find it surprising that anyone wouldn't have some sort of protectionist views. There are limits. I'm not suggesting a society without borders by any means.

Global Society was more in reference to the fact that due to things like the internet and ability to travel we are all living in a smaller world in some ways.

LaRae

Except, she'll be representing the Queen. It'd cause a bigger controversy if one of the full time royals representing HMQ on a regular basis both in Britain and overseas isn't a subject of the Queen.

I'm not saying there won't be any voices of dissent on this, but it's likely more acceptable for her to be a British citizen than not from the beginning of her marriage. It's a delicate situation, and it'll cause some people to be unhappy either way.

Agreed. This would be the one exception that I think they will (and should be) made - very different from accomodating a prince's girlfriend a (quick) visa if she has no formal ground for migrating.

If she is to represent the UK, she needs to be a British subject. Other countries have done the same (speedier process to obtain citizenship) at least for their crown princesses; I don't think princess Claire of Luxembourg has Luxembourgish citizenship yet but she has never lived in the country either nor foes she regularly represent her father-in-law. Her sister-in-law Stephanie is the latest example of a royal bride being granted citizenship of her new country faster than the normal procedure would allow.

Doesn't really have to be political...I would find it surprising that anyone wouldn't have some sort of protectionist views. There are limits. I'm not suggesting a society without borders by any means.

Global Society was more in reference to the fact that due to things like the internet and ability to travel we are all living in a smaller world in some ways.

LaRae

Then to answer the original question you had about loyalty, yes, they would still question her loyalty to the monarch and country if she isn't a British citizen. After all, US is US, Britain is Britain. There are some things that isn't going to change.

Agreed. This would be the one exception that I think they will (and should be) made - very different from accomodating a prince's girlfriend a (quick) visa if she has no formal ground for migrating.

If she is to represent the UK, she needs to be a British subject. Other countries have done the same (speedier process to obtain citizenship) at least for their crown princesses; I don't think princess Claire of Luxembourg has Luxembourgish citizenship yet but she has never lived in the country either nor foes she regularly represent her father-in-law. Her sister-in-law Stephanie is the latest example of a royal bride being granted citizenship of her new country faster than the normal procedure would allow.

Denmark has done this for the former Princess Alexandra, Crown Princess Mary, and Princess Marie. All were granted citizenship upon marriage without having to wait the normal amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom