Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry is not a successor to the throne, so he can lead a "looser" life.

I don't remember when I first read that Harry was dating Meghan, but I did dismiss it as gossip. It just seemed unlikely that they would have much in common or have been able to have a relationship living on two different continents (seems silly now in retrospect, but I know more now). I watch Suits so I at least knew who she was.
Then came the statement and I knew there was a serious relationship developing. And I learned more about Meghan the person and thought, yes I can see how they fit together.

Last edited:
I read about it on ohnotheydidnt, and most commenters didn't believe it. And then not long after Harry made that statement. I've always liked Meghan, so I was pleasantly surprised.

How did Camilla find out? Is she a regular, reliable royal reporter?
Also, how long after the marriage do you think Meghan will announce the charities she will support? How many do you think she will take on? Do she you think she will tackle some more controverisal ones, like sex trafficking? I know Camilla works with that issue.

Do you think Meghan could be considering charities now?

Also, how long after the marriage do you think Meghan will announce the charities she will support? How many do you think she will take on? Do she you think she will tackle some more controverisal ones, like sex trafficking? I know Camilla works with that issue.

Camilla was a royal reporter, she was on tour with PH in the Caribbean and interviewed him and Rhianna after she broke the news about Meghan.

No-one knows how Camilla T found out, because reporters don't reveal their sources. It could be anyone: a waiter at a restaurant they went to a few times, a gardener at Kensington who noticed the two together, someone at Heathrow. Could even have been someone closer to them. Impossible to know.

Ah, I see.

Okay, but what do you all think of the questions I posed re Meghan's charities, etc?

I read about it on ohnotheydidnt, and most commenters didn't believe it. And then not long after Harry made that statement. I've always liked Meghan, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I liked Meghan too but I didn't really keep up with her personal or professional life outside of Suits, so when the story first broke, it did seem a bit too random. However, once I started reading more about her, watching her interviews, it became easier to see what may have brought her and Harry together and sparked a connection. The Larry King, in particular, really stood out, perhaps even more than her UN speech. She just came off as really smart and well versed in the issues she was discussing and quite charming too. Thinking about the two of them now, and seeing them interact, they just seem to be a perfect fit for one another.

I think we can be sure of one thing: that it will evolve gradually. There will not be an announcement in which Meghan is going to announce all the charities she is going to support.

But that's what happened with Kate. Her charities were announced all at once in 2012 or 2011.

But that's what happened with Kate. Her charities were announced all at once in 2012 or 2011.

Well, just keep your eyes and ears open, and you’ll be the first to know and can clue us all in!

The first 4 were indeed announced in January 2012 but she has added several more since then, so as I said, it will be a gradual process. Harry's wife will be expected to take on charities but there is no set timeline, it will depend on the circumstances and other priorities.

Feel free to share your thoughts on what you expect to happen or just wait and see ?

As far as where Meghan would fit into the scheme of things, I wouldn't be one bit surprised to perhaps see some projects dealing with the performing arts added to the Royal Foundation with Meghan spearheading the project. Its an area where she has expertise and could easily fit under the "youth" area of the Foundation. Most people don't know it but Charles, himself, is patron or president of over 20 performing arts organizations.

As far as where Meghan would fit into the scheme of things, I wouldn't be one bit surprised to perhaps see some projects dealing with the performing arts added to the Royal Foundation with Meghan spearheading the project. Its an area where she has expertise and could easily fit under the "youth" area of the Foundation. Most people don't know it but Charles, himself, is patron or president of over 20 performing arts organizations.

Most of the senior royals have a handful at least of art related patronages. It certainly is lacking, other then the national gallery, with the Cambridges and Harry. It would be nice to see Meghan pick up some along the way, as there will be a need to promote the arts, when the seniors retire.

I think though that Meghan will be a step or two ahead of Kate in this. She is likely already considering how she can transition her current work into royal duties. She is already very active in charity work so there are obvious areas where her interest can be directed in. I think like Harry, many of her early patronages will not be local, but focus more global scale.

Perhaps the arts in the UK would be a great way to balance. She can have her global focussed patronages, but focus on the arts side at home.

Really if Charles intends to narrow the family down to them, they need to branch out. There are a lot of causes needing attention and focus. Even if they keep their foundation, as individuals growth is needed. Right now they can all focus on mental health or such, but as the senior royals begin retiring off, there will be a need to expand out.

One thing that will probably stand out should Harry and Meghan marry is that their charitable pursuits will be, for the most part, presented as a team effort by the both of them along with having individual pursuits.

This is a couple that is comfortable in their own skins and don't really need to lean on each other or be in each other's back pockets 24/7 or need to use the other to define their identity. That's why I think this relationship really has a good chance of being very successful. They have a relationship where they are very close and intimate together but realize that both need breathing room to express themselves individually.

Osipi, I agree 100% and CountessMeout, you had great points as well.

That is, of course, if they marry. ? Read an article today that claimed that Meghan was sighted in London being squired around in a black VW, suggesting this was a 'sign' of an imminent engagement. If any of this is true (engagement announcement imminent) this has to be a very fun time for Meghan. The swirl of a looming cosseted privilege: palace gates closing not in front of, but behind her. ;)

I suspect we're in for a relative period of drought when it comes to Harry and Meghan sightings and news. They're partway through shooting 7.13, so they have 3.5 episodes left to shoot. They're still scheduled to end shooting on November 15. So it'll basically be like June/July levels of lack of news for another month.

Yes I agree that it's not likely to see them again till late Nov or into Dec...busy busy work time for both of them...I bet they are burning up the skype and/or phone lines though!

Most likely the wedding dress will be a Brit. I think her wedding lunch/dinner dresses would be American and/or Canadian.

A Canadian designer wouldn't be considered to be a U.K. designer, technically or otherwise.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
A Canadian designer wouldn't be considered to be a U.K. designer, technically or otherwise.

LaRae

Except for Erdem. Canadian-born to a Turkish father and an English mother. Split his time growing up between Canada and the UK. Considered to be a London designer because he studied there and his business is based there but is embraced by the Canadian fashion industry as well (he won the international Canadian designer of the year award at the Canadian Arts & Fashion Awards in April).

But, yeah, a Canadian designer is a Canadian designer; we share a queen and we're part of the Commonwealth, but the days of being a colony are over.

I think we will have some news about Meghan and Harry in December. Until then, nothing. It sucks having to wait 2 months.

I don't see any 'news' as in engagement happening until the new year, announcement wise.

But I do think we will start see prep for her move to London in mid to late November. And seeing more of Meghan. Chin up, its already almost mid October, only a month and a half or so to wait.

Last edited:
This thread is about Harry and Meghan, not Meghan’s relationship with various members of the BRF, or Kate’s relationship with her family. Let’s keep it on-topic please.

I seem to be the only one that thinks that Meghan, herself, will be the designer for her wedding dress. It just makes sense to me that if she has experience in clothing design to the point that she had a contract with Reitmans, she would be more than able to design her own, very personal, wedding gown.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

I seem to be the only one that thinks that Meghan, herself, will be the designer for her wedding dress. It just makes sense to me that if she has experience in clothing design to the point that she had a contract with Reitmans, she would be more than able to design her own, very personal, wedding gown.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

There is a huge difference between designing a low price clothing line, and a wedding gown. Especially a gown that will be seen by millions of people. Not even the top professional designers all would take the challenge of a wedding gown.

Cityline Lookbook: Meghan Markle Dress Collection at Reitmans - Cityline

This hardly translates into a wedding gown designer.

Not to say she may not have a huge say in the design of her dress.

Osipi, ultimately the reason I think she'll call in an expert is that she and Reitman's have both been open about the fact that she collaborated with designers on her capsule collections. They've never claimed that she designed them by herself.

From Allure about the second collection (https://www.allure.com/story/meghan-markle-reitmans-capsule-collection):
“The initial idea of developing a collection came from her,” Monique Brosseau, vice president of marketing and visual presentation at Reitman’s said in an interview with WWD. “It was an amazing idea so our designers, who are all based in Montreal, worked closely with her. She provided her vision and her ideas of what could be a work-to-weekend capsule collection.” The resulting collection is all edge—think faux leather leggings, corner office pencil skirts, a pulled together cashmere poncho, and slouchy-yet feminine shirts that will take you from the bar to brunch with your potential in-laws.

From the Globe and Mail about the first collection https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/li...29695988/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&
Do you actually help design the clothes or are you acting more as a stylist or editor?

This capsule has been crazy because it was much more hands-on in terms of the design process. I wanted the pieces to not feel like a collection per se. For me, it was dipping my toes in this, and thinking about what I want to say about how I dress, because everything is very jet set for me. I thought, well, if I have one carry-on bag and I have to throw four pieces in there to be ready for any event that I'm going to, what would I have?

So to me it makes sense that, if she's ends up marrying Harry, on a day where she's literally got the eyes of the world on her, she'd go to a designer who has the experience and infrastructure to create the gown of her dreams. Will she have a *lot* of input? Absolutely and I'm sure she'll choose someone who respects her strong voice. But I don't get the impression of her that she's unaware of her own strengths and limitations.

Put it this way.. I've been sewing for 30 years and routinely sew things based on a picture or my own inspiration, figuring out how to put it together to create the look based on my knowledge, skills, and experience. In a million years, I would never consider going it alone if I were getting married in a wedding as high profile as marriage into the BRF will be.

I think it's safe to say that Meghan would have a lot of input in the design of her wedding dress but no, I don't actually see her designing it herself.

I think we will have some news about Meghan and Harry in December. Until then, nothing. It sucks having to wait 2 months.

Well, I think it's more than possible that we will get some pics or sightings and/or articles about Harry visiting Meghan or vice versa. I don't seem them going too long without seeing each other again. But if you mean news, as in, an engagement announcement then yes, that may not come until December.

We may see them together at England rugby matches in November provided Harry isn't there in an official capacity but just as a fan. The matches on the 18th and 25th are my best guesses but I could be wrong.

That would be nice. I recall Meghan wrapping up filming of Suits in the latter part of November last year while Harry was preparing for the start of his Caribbean tour. Perhaps they will make it a priority to spend that time together this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom