The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 06:27 PM
Aristocracy

Again, I'm going to reference a recent quote from a royal source who said it would be weird if Harry traveled to the city where his girlfriend lives and wasn't seen with her. Consider that he'll be there for over a week and it's would be even weirder to me. Now, does that mean he and Meghan should go out of their way to be seen together? No. But it also doesn't mean they should go out of their way to avoid being seen together. If Harry wants to share this experience with Meghan and Meghan wants to support him, then she should attend the Games. I do not think concern over stealing attention away from the event should be the driving force here. It's not as if the media has ever been more interested in the athletes than Harry's personal life. I can think of maybe only a few interviews he did last year were he wasn't asked about getting married, having children, being an uncle, what his mother would think... Also, if they follow this line of thinking, then where does it end? Should Meghan avoid attending next year's IG, even if they are married? We can be sure that the media will be much more interested in seeing them together, what Meghan is wearing, asking them about married life than anything involving the Games. That's just how it is. I think the best they could do is to acknowledge it and find ways to deal with it, instead of constantly trying to avoid the attention.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:50 PM
Courtier

Lainey is claiming that Harry has been in Toronto since Tuesday. Anyone have a better idea?

Prince Harry in Toronto before the kickoff of the Invictus Games

Old 09-22-2017, 10:58 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Lainey is claiming that Harry has been in Toronto since Tuesday. Anyone have a better idea?

Maybe this is true . I mean we didn't get any news or pics of Harry at the airport ??
Old 09-22-2017, 11:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea6 View Post
Honestly as of today Harry n Meghan WILL steal the limelight whichever event it may be .
Like in Pippa s wedding - Meghan avoided the ceremony for the same reason .

Once they start coming out together and get photographed the intense media interest may cease a little but otherwise the speculation will just intensify .
I think its time to at least be seen in their own terms so that they control the narrative. Chris Jackson is there and could get some pics.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:09 PM
Courtier

I just love how Harry and Meghan have hide from the media and found ways to travel around the world almost completely in disguise, maybe it is all those disguises that she might have access to in the entertainment business. They truly have the makings of a being great at being invisible while still doing their own thing....gotta love it
Old 09-23-2017, 12:07 AM
Courtier

How busy is Meghan's filming schedule? Whether she makes a public appearance w/ Harry or attends the games may have more to do w/ her work commitments than w/ any alledged desire the couple might have to 'hide' from the media.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Why on earth dont' they just get on with it? It seems likely that they are in a serious relationship and planning marriage,. I can't imagine that Meghan did that interview unless she was sure of her being accepted into the RF. So I wihs they'd just get on with it, announce their engagement and then its done
Old 09-23-2017, 04:44 AM
Nobility

I'm thinking there are steps they're planning on taking, and imho the engagement announcement will happen after Meghan is done with her Suits commitments. Perhaps their first public outing will happen during the IG.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Please note that several posts discussing the projects of Meghan's former husband have been deleted since the link between that topic and the topic of this thread is rather tenuous. Let's concentrate on the relationship. Thank you.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:51 AM
Courtier

Just looking at some timelines for a Royal Engagement.

Royal Family Events
Queen and Duke of Edinburgh 70th Wedding - 20th November 2017

Prince Charles turning 70 in November 2018

Catherine baby due in March 2018
Christening May/June for Cambridge Baby 3

Harry and Meghan
Quiet Christmas for both
Royal Engagement January/February 2018

I had thought Eugenie and Jack would announce an Engagement fairly soon; maybe late 2018 will be their year.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post

Quite possible...I don't think he's had a public event since he had that appearance in Essex on the 14th?

LaRae
Old 09-23-2017, 11:31 AM
Nobility

I think going to the opening ceremony would be a good move. It would give the silly media what they want so they can stop the where is Meghan articles and also give the event more publicity before the events begin allowing the athletes to shine for the rest of the week.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
I think going to the opening ceremony would be a good move. It would give the silly media what they want so they can stop the where is Meghan articles and also give the event more publicity before the events begin allowing the athletes to shine for the rest of the week.
I think so too, but her availability also depends on her filming schedule.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Majesty

Exactly. We have to remember she is not the ever available royal girlfriend. Just because he is in her city, doesn't mean she is available 24/7. She has work and commitments of her own.

I am sure they will see plenty of each other when he is there. And hopefully she will make it out to some of the games. Not so that she can be seen with Harry but to support him with something he is so passionate about.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
I'm going to disagree. I think Harry likely wants the focus on the athletes. And while he cannot control the "where's Meghan" press coverage, I think giving them Meghan on a platter automatically shifts the focus from the athletes from the get go.

Were he not the founding face (with others) of Invictus, I 'd think exactly what you do. In fact, I think taking her to a public event (football, etc.) would be a brilliant place to openly appear together officially the first time.

I just think he cares so much about the athletes, that he wants the focus on them. I also think Invictus is a place he feels the comrade vibe as he plays the royal about the world. Introducing the GF/fiancé/whatever publicly into that mix would change that for him.

Having said that, with my record on speculation, they are probably giving an interview together in the press box right now.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, the press would like to see Meghan there at the games, but the attention won't be taken away from the games and athletes.

It's just like saying...Sophie couldn't attend the decommissioning ceremony for Britannia, because she would've taken the attention away from The Queen and the ceremony. That didn't happen. She attended and everything was fine.

At some point people have to get used to the idea of Royal couples appearing together at events and not worry about them taking the attention away from anything or anyone.

It would be nice for Harry to be able to have his girlfriend accompany him to these games. She'll be there to support him and the competitors. He don't have any family and friends there in Canada with him to show their support. He's got Meghan there though.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-23-2017, 02:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Yes, the press would like to see Meghan there at the games, but the attention won't be taken away from the games and athletes.

It's just like saying...Sophie couldn't attend the decommissioning ceremony for Britannia, because she would've taken the attention away from The Queen and the ceremony. That didn't happen. She attended and everything was fine.

At some point people have to get used to the idea of Royal couples appearing together at events and not worry about them taking the attention away from anything or anyone.

It would be nice for Harry to be able to have his girlfriend accompany him to these games. She'll be there to support him and the competitors. He don't have any family and friends there in Canada with him to show their support. He's got Meghan there though.
I am sorry but comparing Sophie and Meghan is wrong.

Sophie has been around for almost two decades. Though she gets some attention, its minimal at best. She doesn't sell papers, get clicks, like Kate or someone else. So her attending an event with the queen it would be a joke to suggest she would steal attention.

Meghan is the new girlfriend. The girlfriend who in a year of dating there is barely a handful of photos of them together. Who in a year there is only one event (other then private weddings) they have been together, polo. The media and the public, people here even, have been crazy demanding photos of them together. So yes, if Meghan was there, a lot of attention would be on her.

Think about Kate. If Kate attended an event soon, would the media pay attention to the event? NO. They would be talking about her HG, is there a bump yet, her maternity fashion.

One could argue any press is good press, but it is ignorant to ignore the affect on Harry bringing his girlfriend to an official event would do. The papers are more interested in clicks then they are in the charity.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Sophie has been around for almost two decades. Though she gets some attention, its minimal at best. She doesn't sell papers, get clicks, like Kate or someone else. So her attending an event with the queen it would be a joke to suggest she would steal attention.

Meghan is the new girlfriend. The girlfriend who in a year of dating there is barely a handful of photos of them together. Who in a year there is only one event (other then private weddings) they have been together, polo. The media and the public, people here even, have been crazy demanding photos of them together. So yes, if Meghan was there, a lot of attention would be on her.

Think about Kate. If Kate attended an event soon, would the media pay attention to the event? NO. They would be talking about her HG, is there a bump yet, her maternity fashion.

One could argue any press is good press, but it is ignorant to ignore the affect on Harry bringing his girlfriend to an official event would do. The papers are more interested in clicks then they are in the charity.
If Meghan is able to attend these games, she should be there. These aren't green teenagers we're talking about.

Let's just wait and see what these days bring...

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-23-2017, 03:47 PM
Commoner

Oh yes looking forward to whether Meghan will attend the games , will Harry n her interact ?

It will be a huge shame though if Meghan doesn't attend coz of media coverage !
Old 09-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Your do understand the event Dman was referencing was in 1997, when Sophie and Edward we're still dating?

Closed Thread