The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
I know it's London, so a lot closer to home in every sense, but I really can't see Harry and Meghan officially living together either engaged or otherwise as being an issue. Kate moved in with William well in advance of their engagement announcement.
But only because they knew they were going to get married ...as they said in the interview after the engagement...they had talked about it and knew that was the plan..they were going to get married, Kate just didn't know exactly when.

LaRae

Old 09-16-2017, 10:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Kate and William lived together in private houses in Scotland and Wales. She didn't move into Clarence House with William before they were married.
That's because Harry lived there too. Although Catherine stayed at CH from time to time.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-16-2017, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Kate and William lived together in private houses in Scotland and Wales. She didn't move into Clarence House with William before they were married.
For two obvious reasons

1 William was not living in Clarence house at the time. He was living in Wales working as a pilot. She lived with him where he was living.

2. William didn't have his own private apartment. He was staying with his brother when in London, in his father's home.

Kate did stay with him at times though.

Harry's only home base is London. And he doesn't share his cottage with any family members. So he has a lot more freedom.

As we have seen with Edward and Sophie its not against rules. She lived with him at Bagshot and Buckingham palace before engagement.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I've deleted a number of posts. This thread isn't for rehashing William and Kate's dating years, or discussing their marriage. It's also not about comparing Kate and Meghan, or comparing their relationships. Let's stick to the topic. Harry and Meghan.

Also please remember this rule when commenting about royals:
  • Insulting comments about other posters and royals are not permitted. Criticism is acceptable; insults and flames are not.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
But only because they knew they were going to get married ...as they said in the interview after the engagement...they had talked about it and knew that was the plan..they were going to get married, Kate just didn't know exactly when.

LaRae
I think it will be just the same with Harry and Meghan, although Meghan may have a little more idea than Kate did!

And of course, it's true, Meghan is giving up a lot more, current career homeland etc., Kate didn't really have to give up anything, but take on, just as Meghan will have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
.....A relationship is a two way street. A good relationship is when a couple embrace and acknowledge the individuality of the other and make no demands on each other that are self serving. I believe Harry and Meghan have this.
In a nutshell! Which is why it will work regardless of the critics out there.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think it will be just the same with Harry and Meghan, although Meghan may have a little more idea than Kate did!

And of course, it's true, Meghan is giving up a lot more, current career homeland etc., Kate didn't really have to give up anything, but take on, just as Meghan will have to.
Okay...but really wasn't talking about who was giving up what..it was about them living together.

LaRae
Old 09-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Nobility

The royals are used to being criticized for everything under the sun. They understand that the public and tabloids are never satisfied no matter what.

Meghan too has some experience in the public eye, despite the fact her joining the royal firm will ratchet things up to a great degree that she hasn't been as familiar with. Still, I think Meghan has become well aware of the ins-and-outs of what royal life will entail. Like Meghan said in the VF interview, she is supported by Harry and by her close family and friends. She will also be protected by the royal apparatus. Meanwhile, she and Harry are not letting 'the noise' get to them. They are enjoying the time they have together all to themselves before a public engagement announcement ratchets up widespread public interest even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Whether you are dating a prince or a garbage man, the move would be hard. Moving to a new country, away from your family, and establishing a new life is a huge change for everyone...
Sure, but I think Meghan will adapt to such a move fairly easily. She has been visiting Harry and will know the ins-and-outs of KP and Nott Cott (until they move into larger quarters). In addition, Meghan has often visited London prior to meeting Harry, and she has a number of British friends and some American friends who live in London (beyond Harry's set of friends).

Another point to remember is that Meghan moved to another country in 2011, soon after marrying (Trevor Engelson) to begin filming Suits (a new endeavor for her that had to be daunting at first). She adapted and flourished with flying colors, making friends easily and settling into the rigors of filming a television series with professionalism and dedicated commitment. When the series became successful and her income increased and her lifestyle became more enriched, she began to seek a variety of ways to give back to others, and that's how her path eventually connected with Harry's.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Another point to remember is that Meghan moved to another country in 2011, soon after marrying to begin filming Suits (a new endeavor for her that had to be daunting at first). She adapted and flourished with flying colors, making friends easily and settling into the rigors of filming a television series with professionalism and dedicated commitment. When the series became successful and her income increased and her lifestyle became more enriched, she began to seek a variety of ways to give back to others, and that's how her path eventually connected with Harry's.
This is a great point!
Old 09-18-2017, 01:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
True. The royals are used to being criticized for everything under the sun. They understand that the public and tabloids are never satisfied no matter what.

Meghan too has some experience in the public eye, despite the fact her joining the royal firm will ratchet things up to a great degree that she hasn't been as familiar with. Still, I think Meghan has become well aware of the ins-and-outs of what royal life will entail. Like Meghan said in the VF interview, she is supported by Harry and by her close family and friends. She will also be protected by the royal apparatus. Meanwhile, she and Harry are not letting 'the noise' get to them. They are enjoying the time they have together all to themselves before a public engagement announcement ratchets up widespread public interest even further.

Sure, but I think Meghan will adapt to such a move fairly easily. She has been visiting Harry and will know the ins-and-outs of KP and Nott Cott (until they move into larger quarters). In addition, Meghan has often visited London prior to meeting Harry, and she has a number of British friends and some American friends who live in London (beyond Harry's set of friends).

Another point to remember is that Meghan moved to another country in 2011, soon after marrying (Trevor Engelson) to begin filming Suits (a new endeavor for her that had to be daunting at first). She adapted and flourished with flying colors, making friends easily and settling into the rigors of filming a television series with professionalism and dedicated commitment. When the series became successful and her income increased and her lifestyle became more enriched, she began to seek a variety of ways to give back to others, and that's how her path eventually connected with Harry's.
Canada is not only a lot closer to home, but it is also a lot more in common.

Visiting a country, and moving there are two very vastly different things. Being in London for a week or two, living out of suitcases, being on holiday mode. That is not comparable at all to actually living in a country. If they aren't engaged, she will need to settle into new routines of hobbies, charity work, things to keep her busy. This is all an adjustment.

Anyone who has lived in a foreign country knows it is a huge shift in thinking, and living.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:11 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Canada is not only a lot closer to home, but it is also a lot more in common.

Visiting a country, and moving there are two very vastly different things. Being in London for a week or two, living out of suitcases, being on holiday mode. That is not comparable at all to actually living in a country. If they aren't engaged, she will need to settle into new routines of hobbies, charity work, things to keep her busy. This is all an adjustment.

Anyone who has lived in a foreign country knows it is a huge shift in thinking, and living.
This is one area where I think Meghan does have a huge advantage. With years as a professional actress under her belt, she is, in my opinion, well prepared for the huge shift in thinking and presenting herself. With preparing for a role as a character, she not only learns the lines she needs but actually gets into "character mode" and when she's performing, she becomes that character. That is why TV, movie and stage characters seem to come to life for us.

I think it would be relatively easy for Meghan to adapt to something totally new to her and relish the adventure. In a way, she *is* preparing to take on a new role and like learning a character part, there are all sorts of things she'll instinctively know how to do in adjusting to her new "role" from her experiences of becoming her character in Suits.

She'll adapt just fine and enjoy doing it, I think. As Shakespeare said, "All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players;
Old 09-18-2017, 03:36 AM
Commoner

Quote:
True. The royals are used to being criticized for everything under the sun. They understand that the public and tabloids are never satisfied no matter what.

Brilliantly put, thanks for posting this.

She won't be be the first to move to a different country and like you say, Meghan IS quite familiar with England. I have friends too that have moved elsewhere and others over here that have settled in perfectly fine. It's hardly rocket science is it and we've seen how well Meghan adapts. I accept that some do struggle with a move but we are all different.

The former Autumn Philips swapped countries to move here from Canada in order to start a new life with the Princess Royal's son, it hasn't killed her.

I think it's fortunate Meghan already has a media presence with her line of work and of course, enormous experience in dealing with the public in relation to her other pursuits re voluntary work with global organisations like World Vision and the UN. Meaning she has background knowledge of what she'll be facing and dealing with and the capability to cope.

Certainly the rigours & protocols of royal life are slightly different which I'm sure she's aware of and already learning the ropes. But, she will have the love, support, protection and guidance of her partner to guide her through this and that's really all that matters here. Plus, Rome wasn't built in a day.

She has also spoken at length of her experiences and challenges being a woman of colour / biracial in a society sadly still riddled with prejudice and bias. And incredibly she has shown what an impressively strong-minded woman she is and will continue to ignore the noise and hostility all around.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Okay...but really wasn't talking about who was giving up what..it was about them living together.

LaRae
Which I expect given Harry's royal role will for the most part be in London or at least the UK. But to make that move will involve sarcrafices on Meghan's part, so am expecting it will be pretty official when the time comes.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Please note that posts containing links to an article on Chanel cosmetics (and subsequent replies) and to media coverage about Ms Markle that is either old news or does not relate to Ms Markle's relationship with Prince Harry have been deleted. We cannot have a discussion about the relationship if the thread is being filled with unrelated topics.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Which I expect given Harry's royal role will for the most part be in London or at least the UK. But to make that move will involve sarcrafices on Meghan's part, so am expecting it will be pretty official when the time comes.
Correct...she's not moving to the UK without the ring.

LaRae
Old 09-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm sure these two are enjoying their relationship behind closed doors, but I think it's going to be a relief for them to be able to appear relaxed in public together.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-18-2017, 02:10 PM
Commoner

Yes once they are out in public together and the intense attention of the first appearance together fades away .... hopefully everything will calm down .

How long can 1 hide from the cameras anyway ?
Old 09-18-2017, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea6 View Post
Yes once they are out in public together and the intense attention of the first appearance together fades away .... hopefully everything will calm down .

How long can 1 hide from the cameras anyway ?
They've been good at doing this for over a year now!

LaRae
Old 09-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Meghan's brother wants Harry to put a ring on his sister.

Meghan Markle's brother tells Prince Harry get on with it
Old 09-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Ugh...her family need to zip it.

LaRae
Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

How many times must we ask the same thing?

Closed for moderator review.