Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC didn't Harry only spend 1 day/night at Christmas with the BRF last year then skipped off to go be with Meghan? So I don't know that it would be a situation where the Markle's would be left to their own devices while Harry was off with the family.

LaRae

IIRC didn't Harry only spend 1 day/night at Christmas with the BRF last year then skipped off to go be with Meghan? So I don't know that it would be a situation where the Markle's would be left to their own devices while Harry was off with the family.

LaRae

While leaving them in someone else's home? That's just stretching it really hard.

And I don't think Harry spent one day and night with BRF and skipped off to be with Meghan. I don't know how long he was at Sandringham, but Meghan was still in Toronto and he was seen going to meeting with Mark a couple days or so after Christmas. Meghan was in Toronto and was photographed with her mom and Jessica during that time. She went back to London a few days after Christmas for a second trip that month and they went to Norway. This tells me this couple understand that there are other people that they also need to spend time with, especially with the situation with BRF. I don't know why it's so certain or important that they spend this Christmas together. If they are engaged, they'll have plenty of Christmas together in the future.

Last edited:
I avemy

Not one is to say that's not her plan, but same is true for this being her plan. It's just common sense based on other things that we do know. Nobody talked about her mom being there because well, no one even thought about her mom. :lol: We were too busy guessing and being excited about seeing them. :lol: Although most of us guess Doris probably has met Harry even before this. I'm not saying they aren't getting to that point, in fact I'm in the camp that they are moving forward and very serious. It's just the timeframe and logistics.

Yes, that's the point. Most were so caught up on whether or not it was appropriate or a good idea for Meghan to be there that Doria didn't even enter into things. However, it's clear that Harry and Meghan were already beyond what fans were debating. That gives more credence to the idea that are already taking the necessary steps towards an engagement announcement and Meghan's move to London.

We'll see how it plays out but I really doubt that Meghan will be moving to London before an engagement announcement. If that were to happen, however, I think it would be, at most, a couple of weeks before an engagement is announced, not months later.

I don't know that it's important or not..that's up to them. Just saying Harry doesn't always spend the whole Christmas up that at Sandringham from what I've seen posted here.

I am sure though, that they will spend some of the holiday season together...somewhere.

LaRae

I don't know that it's important or not..that's up to them. Just saying Harry doesn't always spend the whole Christmas up that at Sandringham from what I've seen posted here.

I am sure though, that they will spend some of the holiday season together...somewhere.

LaRae

Christmas is only one day :lol: That's the day people spend with family and maybe go visit some people. Look I'm not saying they won't spend some part of the holiday season together as they did last year. The holiday season in US is awfully long, stretching from late November to after Christmas. They likely will spend time together in early and mid December and again after Christmas.

I avemy

Yes, that's the point. Most were so caught up on whether or not it was appropriate or a good idea for Meghan to be there that Doria didn't even enter into things. However, it's clear that Harry and Meghan were already beyond what fans were debating. That gives more credence to the idea that are already taking the necessary steps towards an engagement announcement and Meghan's move to London.

We'll see how it plays out but I really doubt that Meghan will be moving to London before an engagement announcement. If that were to happen, however, I think it would be, at most, a couple of weeks before an engagement is announced, not months later.

I'm not saying it's not moving towards and engagement. In fact, I think they are. I think there is an understanding between them about their future. However, there is more to consider here since she's not marrying your average Joe. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the only *must do* thing for the BRF and Christmas is the Christmas Eve dinner and gathering and then the walk to church in the morning. After that, the family is mostly free to do as they please. Camilla often leaves to spend time with her family. Sarah has stayed on the Sandringham estate to be close to her daughters over the holidays also.

It was reported that the Middletons were invited to even stay at Balmoral with the Queen before the engagement was announced and they have since been included in various things going on at Christmastime at Sandringham while staying at Amner Hall.

"In 2010 Carole and Michael were also invited to shoot at Balmoral with Prince Charles, just weeks before William and Kate's engagement was announced. It was a sign that the two families were preparing to take on the roles of in-laws."

http://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalty/02016091329442/queen-balmoral-carol-michael-middleton-welcome/

I don't think that Meghan's parents would be treated any less than the Middletons have been. For all we know, Meghan's mom may have already met the Queen, Charles and Camilla and the Cambridges. The days of a royal bride expected to give up her family on special occasions have long passed.

We'll just have to watch and see what happens. :D

I'm not going to quote since there are so many. :lol: But for the timeline of an early wedding, can it be done? Sure. But yeesh, let the girl take a breath. Can she have people expedite her move while she's travelling for holidays? Sure, but why the rush? It's stressful enough to go through airports during holiday season, and then I imagine her calendar will be filled with visiting friends as well. It's just a lot. It'd overwhelm the most prepared. She'll have plenty of time to be overwhelmed with things once she's the Duchess of X, and it's really a job with no retirement. It's best to take her sweet time.
Just to clarify, previously you talked about the 'latter half' of next year so I've taken that to mean AFTER the summer - but please correct me if that was not the intended meaning. If so, what do you suggest Meghan does for at least 9 months between the end of her contract and the wedding (including 4 months (or more?) before an engagement)? Moving to a different country is definitely not a full time job for 9 months - or even 4 months, if we are to assume that she spends her engagement months planning the wedding. I am sure moving and being engaged can easily be combined ?

Furthermore, I don't see how an 'earlier wedding' or even a December engagement would require a move before or during the holiday season (although it might be that she expected to move as soon as the engagement is announced, who knows?). And if they prefer a January/after the holidays engagement announcement that still goes well together with a wedding late spring or early summer :whistling:

Just like you, I hope she'll take some time around Thanksgiving to visit her mother (or father in Mexico!) and probably some friends. Not sure how many friends she has left in LA, maybe some have moved on to other places as well - it seems that several of her friends live in Toronto - so she might not be as devoted to her hometown as some people suggest (although coming back as a duchess will be different I'd say); but no need to repeat that a few weeks later.

That's Harry's schedule. I'm considering Meghan's schedule as she's likely to be in LA with her family and friends. Moving to a different country isn't just about moving, it's about seeing some people that you probably won't see on a regular basis anymore as you'll be living in different countries. And in her case, she can't just travel back to LA or Toronto anytime she wishes, especially during holiday season.
Only her mother is in LA; other than that, I am not aware of any close family relations in LA. Her father lives in Mexico; and it seems Meghan's mother is happy to visit her where she is. And let's not forget that Meghan has not been living in LA for over 6 years (but already in a different country at about 5 hours flight time), so she hasn't seen anyone living there 'on a regular basis', so that is quite different from moving away for the first time.

I am sure she will say her goodbye's in Toronto but the holidays are typically more filled with family than friends; so it might be easier to say goodbye at a different time than trying to spend time with them over the holiday season when their priority is family. That is not to say that she might not choose to spend one more Thanksgiving and/or Christmas in LA or Toronto but she could also decide otherwise for good reasons.

Yes, who knows exactly how they plan to spend the holidays but I tend to believe they won't repeat exactly what they did last year.

I'm not saying it's not moving towards and engagement. In fact, I think they are. I think there is an understanding between them about their future. However, there is more to consider here since she's not marrying your average Joe. :lol:

Yes, I think we're all aware.. ;)

Again, we will see how it plays out. But it's really no coincidence that even some reliable reporters believe an engagement announcement is possible or likely before the end of the year. There is reason to think so.

Last edited:
I don't think that Meghan's parents would be treated any less than the Middletons have been. For all we know, Meghan's mom may have already met the Queen, Charles and Camilla and the Cambridges. The days of a royal bride expected to give up her family on special occasions have long passed.

The two main differences I see are:
1) Meghan's parents are divorced; so it might be a little awkward to invite both of them to spend time together if they normally wouldn't do so.
2) Meghan's parents live abroad, so are less likely to take on invitations of the BRF but I don't see why they wouldn't be extended (other than number 1 - and assuming that they can be extended without the pressure that they have to be taken up - probably by means of an informal invitation before the formal invitation is issued).

Actually, the only *must do* thing for the BRF and Christmas is the Christmas Eve dinner and gathering and then the walk to church in the morning. After that, the family is mostly free to do as they please. Camilla often leaves to spend time with her family. Sarah has stayed on the Sandringham estate to be close to her daughters over the holidays also.

It was reported that the Middletons were invited to even stay at Balmoral with the Queen before the engagement was announced and they have since been included in various things going on at Christmastime at Sandringham while staying at Amner Hall.

"In 2010 Carole and Michael were also invited to shoot at Balmoral with Prince Charles, just weeks before William and Kate's engagement was announced. It was a sign that the two families were preparing to take on the roles of in-laws."

How the Queen has welcomed Carole and Michael Middleton with open arms

They spend the afternoon watching the Queen's speech as well. I believe some do leave after that. And the shooting happens after Christmas. But we aren't talking about people who are in the country regardless. We are talking about people who have to fly half way around the world. And Harry doesn't have his own home on the Sandringham Estate. They would have to stay at someone else's home when they are not there. That's just odd.

The two main differences I see are:
1) Meghan's parents are divorced; so it might be a little awkward to invite both of them to spend time together if they normally wouldn't do so.
2) Meghan's parents live abroad, so are less likely to take on invitations of the BRF but I don't see why they wouldn't be extended (other than number 1 - and assuming that they can be extended without the pressure that they have to be taken up - probably by means of an informal invitation before the formal invitation is issued).

Meghan's parents have a good relationship. They both spent the last Thanksgiving with Meghan. Meghan said even though they divorced, both of her parents would still go on vacations together with her when she was little. And yea, I think living half way around the world does change things. It's one thing if they will spend all the holidays together to have them fly out, but Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at BRF is family only.

Just to clarify, previously you talked about the 'latter half' of next year so I've taken that to mean AFTER the summer - but please correct me if that was not the intended meaning. If so, what do you suggest Meghan does for at least 9 months between the end of her contract and the wedding (including 4 months (or more?) before an engagement)? Moving to a different country is definitely not a full time job for 9 months - or even 4 months, if we are to assume that she spends her engagement months planning the wedding. I am sure moving and being engaged can easily be combined ?

Indeed. We're talking about a woman who's already proven that she's capable of wearing more than one hat at a time. I think she can handle it.

Furthermore, I don't see how an 'earlier wedding' or even a December engagement would require a move before or during the holiday season (although it might be that she expected to move as soon as the engagement is announced, who knows?). And if they prefer a January/after the holidays engagement announcement that still goes well together with a wedding late spring or early summer :whistling:

Just like you, I hope she'll take some time around Thanksgiving to visit her mother (or father in Mexico!) and probably some friends. Not sure how many friends she has left in LA, maybe some have moved on to other places as well - it seems that several of her friends live in Toronto - so she might not be as devoted to her hometown as some people suggest (although coming back as a duchess will be different I'd say); but no need to repeat that a few weeks later.

Only her mother is in LA; other than that, I am not aware of any close family relations in LA. Her father lives in Mexico; and it seems Meghan's mother is happy to visit her where she is. And let's not forget that Meghan has not been living in LA for over 6 years (but already in a different country at about 5 hours flight time), so she hasn't seen anyone living there 'on a regular basis', so that is quite different from moving away for the first time.

I am sure she will say her goodbye's in Toronto but the holidays are typically more filled with family than friends; so it might be easier to say goodbye at a different time than trying to spend time with them over the holiday season when their priority is family. That is not to say that she might not choose to spend one more Thanksgiving and/or Christmas in LA or Toronto but she could also decide otherwise for good reasons.

She can plan the wedding and learn the history and etiquette and everything else that comes with the princess lessons. If it takes Kate and other royal brides about six months, it'll only take her longer since she'll have more to take care of. And her citizenship issue will have to be taken care of. Let's not forget that Suits does have at times long shooting hours. There are times that cast post on social media that they wrapped at 5am. I think if we are just looking at these two's schedule, they can probably do a summer wedding, but we have to consider the fact Queen visits Balmoral during the summer. So that pushes it back even further. I'm not sure what the Buckingham Palace's tourist policies are or if how big of security risk it poses if the Queen is in London for a few days during the time she's usually at Balmoral.

And Meghan has visited friends during holidays both in LA and Toronto even if she no longer lived in LA. She was at Benita Litt's house last year. They are close enough that Meghan is godmother to both of her daughters. And Meghan didn't post any pictures from Jessica's house last year, but there were IG pics in the past of her bringing Ivy presents for Christmas. Anyways, if this was your average family, sure that's possible, but we are talking about BRF, rules are a little different.

Indeed. We're talking about a woman who's already proven that she's capable of wearing more than one hat at a time. I think she can handle it.

No one is saying she can't. But is it really the best choice when you don't have to rush? If she has to, of course she can rush to everything done, but it can be overwhelming when there is a lot going on. She'll have plenty of things to get overwhelmed about once they are married. This is probably the most calm time she'll have in the next few years.

:previous: Meghan will have plenty of free time once she is done filming, more than a few people to help her, and likely 5/6 months between the announcement and wedding, if she desires. So I'm not sure why you assume it would be rushed.

I don't see Meghan, and certainly not her parents, staying at Amner Hall. Its not the family home, its William's home. Having Meghan and her divorced parents staying in the house over Christmas would be strange. We don't even know if they have met Meghan more then a few times. Not to mention having her family. Nor does have Meghan and her parents stay at the house, when the royals are at Sandringham for Christmas eve and day.

This Christmas is about family not friends.....based on what? Many people consider their friends to be family. From Instagram we see she is close, including holidays with her goddaughters and friends. Having basically grown up an only child as her half siblings are much older, friends would likely be a huge part of her life.

Honestly I think Meghan will be home in LA for Christmas. She will spend the early holidays with her mom. Visit her friends. Go see dad. Harry will be at Sandringham with his family. We don't know if Kate and Will will even be there, they may choose to spend Christmas with the Middletons as last year. Or Amner may be full, with the Middletons there for the holidays this year.

Meghan will likely have moved by then, likely after Thanksgiving. Her and Harry will have early December together. Buy a tree, celebrate. Meghan, and possibly her mom, could come back to the UK on Boxing day. Charles is usually up in Scotland at his house by then. The Middletons have joined him. Maybe an invitation will be extended for Meghan and her mom/parents to join them for a few days. Not right at Christmas but still the holidays.

I honestly couldn't be shocked if there is a late December proposal. Perhaps on anniversary of first trip they took as a couple. Instead of an African safari, a proposal under the northern lights or similar. An announcement early January.

Kate seems most likely due mid March to early April (making her 2-2 1/2 months when they announced). A mid May wedding would be a safe bet, likely at least a month past baby three arrival. Kate will be able to attend. Or a mid July wedding, before the queen goes to Balmoral.

:previous: Meghan will have plenty of free time once she is done filming, more than a few people to help her, and likely 5/6 months between the announcement and wedding, if she desires. So I'm not sure why you assume it would be rushed.

5/6 months is not a long time to plan a wedding. Especially one of that scale. Even with help. She'd likely start attending engagements with Harry then. Five to six months is actually not a lot of time. It goes by quickly. And she doesn't have plenty of time between Suits wrapping up and New Years. There is one month in between. Holiday season is busy for everyone.

Well that's the issue. You seem to be focused on a fixed period of time, whereas I was simply saying that she'll have plenty of free time, starting with Suits wrapping up. There's no reason why she would need to have everything done within a month. She'll have the next 6 months or so to complete the transition.

Also, I didn't say 5/6 months was a long time but certainly, it's more than enough to where there would be no need to rush.

I'm not going to argue about this anymore because this is heading in a direction where this thread will be closed again.

I don't understand why anyone would think Harry, Meghan and her family would stay at Anmer for Xmas. That makes no sense. And Kate and William only seem hospitable where the Middletons are concerned.

And someone mentioned Harry meeting with Mark-who is Mark?

I don't understand why anyone would think Harry, Meghan and her family would stay at Anmer for Xmas. That makes no sense. And Kate and William only seem hospitable where the Middletons are concerned.

And someone mentioned Harry meeting with Mark-who is Mark?

Mark Dyer, the man who has been called his 'second father'. Meghan watched polo with Mark not long ago.

Harry was seen meeting with him just after Christmas last year, before Norway

Prince Harry's pub drinks with his friend and mentor as Meghan Markle wraps up | Daily Mail Online

Thank you!

I have a question-Queen Rania and Mette-Marit have active instagram accounts and Princess Madeleine has Facebook.

Why did Meghan have to shut down her Instagram essentially? Why is social media seen as taboo for the BRF? I think it would be great if Meghan and Harry had active social media accounts once they were to marry.

Thank you!

I have a question-Queen Rania and Mette-Marit have active instagram accounts and Princess Madeleine has Facebook.

Why did Meghan have to shut down her Instagram essentially? Why is social media seen as taboo for the BRF? I think it would be great if Meghan and Harry had active social media accounts once they were to marry.

Not all, Prince Andrew has a twitter account.

Clarence House and Kensington palace both have social media accounts. So far the royals have allowed their offices and pr teams to run the social media though. It seems the way things are simply done. But we have seen things like Harry and his mic drop for the invictus games, they do venture out.

Honestly I don't think, as long as they have some control over what they do with it, that anyone would have an issue if Harry and Meghan had social media when they married. BRF is just a little slower on the times.

He retired to Mexico a few years ago but apparently he still sees Meghan in Toronto. It is said on one of those visits he met Harry.

5/6 months is not a long time to plan a wedding. Especially one of that scale. Even with help. She'd likely start attending engagements with Harry then. Five to six months is actually not a lot of time. It goes by quickly. And she doesn't have plenty of time between Suits wrapping up and New Years. There is one month in between. Holiday season is busy for everyone.

For a British Royal wedding, 4-6 months is a fairly standard time frame between engagement announcement and wedding. Somewhere in one of these threads was a list of everyone's timeframes.

For a British Royal wedding, 4-6 months is a fairly standard time frame between engagement announcement and wedding. Somewhere in one of these threads was a list of everyone's timeframes.
None of them are from a different country with a different citizenship. She'd have to announce right away and then there were already people going into why June wouldn't work. July is starting to run into Balmoral time.

Btw, it's not like I'm saying they'd need additional 6 months or years to drag on, in just saying a matter of few months.

Last edited:
I think it's worth remembering that like all other couples, they would get engaged first and then start thinking about the wedding.

An engagement announcement is unlikely to happen with a clear, set-in-stone time-frame for the wedding - they will only have a vague idea themselves of when the wedding could be.

But I do agree, the situation is slightly different for Meghan since she does not live in Britain. Even if she and Harry have already agreed to get married or they feel it is likely to be on the cards for them to do so, I can't help but think that she will relocate to the UK first (or at least start spending more and more time here) and after a few more months if and when they are ready, then we will see an announcement.

I'm know this will not be helpful to those who wish for a quicker engagement - I'm sorry!

There are about 8 months between Suits wrapping up and the Queen leaving for Balmoral (end of July), assuming that Harry and Meghan want to be married (and start a family) it is not a rush at all to get married before August and I still haven't read a convincing argument for postponing until October or so. Evenmore, the wedding preparations can start before the official announcements. Normal people have to plan a wedding next to their day jobs, Harry and Meghan will have staff to do the actual organizing, they only need to do most of the thinking (and trying on the dress a few times, well Meghan would); which probably ends up taking the same amount of time given that theirs is larger.

I think it's worth remembering that like all other couples, they would get engaged first and then start thinking about the wedding.

An engagement announcement is unlikely to happen with a clear, set-in-stone time-frame for the wedding - they will only have a vague idea themselves of when the wedding could be.

But I do agree, the situation is slightly different for Meghan since she does not live in Britain. Even if she and Harry have already agreed to get married or they feel it is likely to be on the cards for them to do so, I can't help but think that she will relocate to the UK first (or at least start spending more and more time here) and after a few more months if and when they are ready, then we will see an announcement.

I'm know this will not be helpful to those who wish for a quicker engagement - I'm sorry!

Just want to highlight that there is a difference between actual engagement and announcement. They might not have a fixed date or period when they get engaged but I expect they will have that by the time they announce their engagement.

In previous posts I already explained why I consider moving before an engagement an unlikely option (because what would she be moving for if it is not for a future marriage, hence, engagement should have been taking place before). Time will tell.

In previous posts I already explained why I consider moving before an engagement an unlikely option (because what would she be moving for if it is not for a future marriage, hence, engagement should have been taking place before). Time will tell.

Like I've said before, they would have an understand about where this relationship is going. But actually be already engaged? I don't know about that.

There are about 8 months between Suits wrapping up and the Queen leaving for Balmoral (end of July), assuming that Harry and Meghan want to be married (and start a family) it is not a rush at all to get married before August and I still haven't read a convincing argument for postponing until October or so. Evenmore, the wedding preparations can start before the official announcements. Normal people have to plan a wedding next to their day jobs, Harry and Meghan will have staff to do the actual organizing, they only need to do most of the thinking (and trying on the dress a few times, well Meghan would); which probably ends up taking the same amount of time given that theirs is larger.

Again, you can't really count December as there are a lot other things going on that she wouldn't just be in London. Then there are paperwork that needs to be taken care of that wouldn't be necessary for other royal brides. I'd expect that her citizenship issue would be mostly taken care of by the time an engagement is announced. She'll probably have princess lessons on top of that. June already has events, and it's likely they wouldn't be able to devote as much manpower to planning everything to do with a royal wedding if people are already planning other events. There is also certain expectation that the fiancee of Prince Harry, who is also a full time working royal, to be British prior to marriage. It's been a long time since the Brits have had a foreign royal bride. It'll take some getting used to.

Like I've said before, they would have an understand about where this relationship is going. But actually be already engaged? I don't know about that.

I think they could already be engaged and already planning what needs to be done and getting things working. There is no set rule that they have to tell the public they're engaged to be married the minute its a fact. The public probably will not be notified until everything is pretty much planned out and ready to go.

As far as "princess" lessons, I really expect Harry and Meghan to be given the same consideration that Will and Kate were when they were first married. Just part time engagements and have time just for themselves to adjust to marriage and start a family. We're not going to be seeing Meghan jumping into full scale working duties the minute she removes her bridal veil. Remember after Will and Kate's wedding, they were able to live in Wales with Wills in the RAF for two years after the wedding. The "princess" lessons will be an ongoing thing after she's married with a bit of hands on experience here and there.

It just makes sense to me that the first priority this couple is going to have is to start their own family. :D

I think they could already be engaged and already planning what needs to be done and getting things working. There is no set rule that they have to tell the public they're engaged to be married the minute its a fact. The public probably will not be notified until everything is pretty much planned out and ready to go.

As far as "princess" lessons, I really expect Harry and Meghan to be given the same consideration that Will and Kate were when they were first married. Just part time engagements and have time just for themselves to adjust to marriage and start a family. We're not going to be seeing Meghan jumping into full scale working duties the minute she removes her bridal veil. Remember after Will and Kate's wedding, they were able to live in Wales with Wills in the RAF for two years after the wedding. The "princess" lessons will be an ongoing thing after she's married with a bit of hands on experience here and there.

It just makes sense to me that the first priority this couple is going to have is to start their own family. :D

There has not been any reliable reporting about an actual engagement. Purely speculation from the reporters, and quite frankly a bit biased since most of them just want a new royal wedding to cover. :lol:

I agree that they will be given some consideration at first, but even Kate got princess lessons prior to being married even though she didn't undertake full time workload right after the wedding. It's debatable if Meghan would be given the as much leeway though as the Queen and Prince Phillip ages. We already saw the younger royals taking over more. Of course having children would be the top priority, but I just don't know if they'll have as much time to hide away at their country home since Harry is not working part time otherwise, and is a full time royal at this point. Pregnancies are a good reason to take a slower pace, but I highly doubt Meghan will spend the next seven years having babies. Age is an issue here.

Last edited:
There has not been any reliable reporting about an actual engagement. Purely speculation from the reporters, and quite frankly a bit biased since most of them just want a new royal wedding to cover. :lol:

I'm not basing my thoughts on Harry and Meghan being already engaged from any sort of media speculation but rather from knowing how it was with Will and Kate. They were actually engaged and family and friends knew about it for a while before the actual public announcement. Its very possible that this is exactly what Meghan meant by "this is our time".

The public *and* the media will be informed at the same time with an official announcement probably made at Kensington Palace. It is then that we'll probably have quite a few more details. Like Meghan's mom being at the Invictus Games, I wouldn't be surprised if we're thrown for a loop with stuff we didn't expect at all.

Its fun to sit and wait and wait and wait and think and think some more as we wait and wait and wait. Makes life interesting I think. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom