The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-13-2017, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm trying to recall...don't remember Charles and Diana having one?

LaRae

Old 09-13-2017, 07:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
You probably weren't here several years ago when Archduke Imre married the American Kathleen Walker (the thread is in Austria section). She was very outspoken in support of pro life issues (Imre's family are all Catholic as well as her family). People were having a stroke about him marrying this girl...making all sorts of comments about her being outpoken and what a mess she would bring to Imre's family and how this just wasn't 'done in Europe etc etc. They've been married since 2012 and you've not hardly heard a peep out of any of them..except when they have had children.

Much ado about nothing. Meghan has been able to speak her mind on few programs/articles just like anyone could. That doesn't mean she's going to go around embrrassing the BRF with her views if she marries Harry.

LaRae
No I wasn't around for that union. However, most of the European royals can more or less give their personal opinions of anything and everything. The BRF are known far and wide to not voice their personal opinions - witness The Queen who never gives an opinion publicly. I'm not saying that Ms. Markle will embarass anyone with her views if/when she marries into The Firm, I'm saying she won't be able to publicly declare her views except in a softly diplomatic and non-partisan way.

----------------------------------------------------
"You don't get out of life alive." ~Jimmy the Hand~
"The battle of the sexes will never be won, we keep fraternizing with the enemy."

Old 09-13-2017, 08:10 PM
Nobility

That's the theory indeed. Nonetheless, the prince of Wales, Diana, princess of Wales, and currently W&K&H show that there is way more possible than some people like us to believe.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail;2018491[B
]I will go out on a limb and say that there is no chance of Harry having a private wedding at some exotic locale. That is just not happening.
[/B]

Of course. But I think it was around season 5 finale that I started thinking the show should end soon. I didn't see much creativity in the writing and the following seasons really did nothing to change my opinion.

I understand the argument against a WA wedding but given that there is likely to be a lot of interest in this wedding (as opposed to say, Edward's wedding), I think it's still very much a possibility, though yes, it would likely be scaled down in costs.
Totally, totally agree.

The first, last and only British Royal wedding that took place outside of church was disgraced Edward VIII and his divorced, profoundly unpopular American bride Wallis Simpson in the 1930's.

One doesn't have to be a genius to understand that's not a precedent that Harry is likely to want to follow.

He will marry in Church like his forebears and even if the ceremony has some personal touches it will be traditional Church of England.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 09-13-2017, 08:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
I will go out on a limb and say that there is no chance of Harry having a private wedding at some exotic locale. That is just not happening.
Right, we were simply discussing what they might like to do if Harry were not British royalty. No one said there's any possibility for them being able to take off to an exotic locale for an intimate, friends-only private wedding.

Harry has at least experienced that with various of his friends' nuptials. Also, Meghan already had her full-of-fun exotic Jamaican wedding, and a subsequent divorce over four years ago. M&H both attended the Inskips' Jamaican wedding together too in May. M&H are adults in their 30s and they give every indication of being fully prepared to take up the responsibilities of what being a royal couple will entail. I will be interested to see what their plans will be for a honeymoon. But alas, let us wait to hear the engagement news first.

Quote:
I understand the argument against a WA wedding but given that there is likely to be a lot of interest in this wedding (as opposed to say, Edward's wedding), I think it's still very much a possibility, though yes, it would likely be scaled down in costs.
Exactly. As a number of us have discussed and surmised.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Right, we were simply discussing what they might like to do if Harry were not British royalty. No one said there's any possibility for them being able to take off to an exotic locale for an intimate, friends-only private wedding.
Actually, the poster I was responding to seemed to have been wondering if it were a realisic option and not just a "what if" Harry weren't royal...
Old 09-13-2017, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisele View Post
No I wasn't around for that union. However, most of the European royals can more or less give their personal opinions of anything and everything. The BRF are known far and wide to not voice their personal opinions - witness The Queen who never gives an opinion publicly. I'm not saying that Ms. Markle will embarass anyone with her views if/when she marries into The Firm, I'm saying she won't be able to publicly declare her views except in a softly diplomatic and non-partisan way.

----------------------------------------------------
"You don't get out of life alive." ~Jimmy the Hand~
"The battle of the sexes will never be won, we keep fraternizing with the enemy."

Yes I know and I would expect she knows this already.

LaRae
Old 09-13-2017, 09:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Actually, the poster I was responding to seemed to have been wondering if it were a realisic option and not just a "what if" Harry weren't royal...
Ah, okay. I must have missed that from another poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
... I ... add that its a no go not because it would be refused or out of the question by the powers that be but because Harry and Meghan themselves wouldn't think of it. s close as Harry is to his grandparents, I can't believe he'd ever even think for a minute of getting married without them being able to be present.

I would say everything is a possibility except for a Caribbean wedding...

The earlier speculation/mention in this thread of the Caribbean in connection with a M&H wedding was most definitely not serious on my part. Of course that's not going to happen, and it would not be where either of their heads are at right now. The main reason it's out of the question is due to Harry's royal status, which doesn't mean they both wouldn't prefer to do something special and unique that's fun and all their own for their wedding. As I said, there's still their honeymoon where they can pull out all the stops (within reason of course). Of course, Harry is very family-oriented and a dutiful, loving grandson. I think Meghan is also very connected to family and she understands the importance of such bonds, particularly as they pertain to her boyfriend.

What I said in a prior post above is this: M&H are adults in their 30s who understand and accept the burdens and responsibilities, as well as the perks that come with Harry's royal status. As I mentioned, I believe they both also respect, understand and plan to honor and adhere to the historic traditions of Harry's world famous family. The difference is that I don't get the sense that either are caught up in or fazed by the pomp and circumstance, although they may allow themselves to enjoy some of the trappings, since they both seem to appreciate the lighter side of life too.

Most importantly, I think they both realize that if the love they share together isn't deep, meaningful and substantive, then the royal spectacle part of things in the end will be rather hollow. Harry would know this from his parents' experiences. And Meghan is a very bright young lady who has surely learned a lot over the years. She seems wise beyond her years from some of the things she's said in interviews (e.g., with Larry King, One World panel discussions, her AOL Build interview, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
... I think the VF article was both an introduction but also a farewell also.
Yes, it hails the opening act to a new stage of M&H's relationship, as well as a denouement to Meghan's acting career.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShades View Post
As much as some might want that to be the case and advocate this, it ain't gonna happen. Harry is a Prince of the realm whether some like it or not. He is also a working royal and will most likely end up the son, as well as a brother of a monarch someday ( barring anything tragic). There are those who would rather any marriage between M&H happens out of sight and as far away from England as possible, I've even read the absurd suggestion from some quarters that H&M should have a morganatic marriage if they do decide wed. How ridiculous are these creatures to even suggest such a thing?! That's their problem and issues to sort out though.
Morgantic marriage is absurd, even just based on the fact that the concept doesn't exist in the UK. Morgantic marriages are not a concept ever adopted in any part of the United kingdom. They would actually have to introduce a new legal principal, to be able to use it for the couple.

As for the notion I have noticed a few people mention of William's wedding being toned down to a semi-state occasion for monetary reasons.....this is untrue. William's wedding was never going to be a state occasion. The only way it would have been is if his father had been king when he married. Only the wedding of a sovereign or their heir is a state occasion. William was neither when he married.

There is no way the wedding will not be televised and given attention. But it is natural it will be a smaller scale. And Harry and Meghan may very well appreciate the freedom to choose a location besides London. William knew it was expected. Harry and Meghan could marry at St George's or they could marry at one of the other royal estates. It really is up to them.

Edward VIII was not the only BRF to marry outside the church. He was simply the only one whose First wedding was outside the church. Charles and Camilla of course were not. I don't see Harry following in the steps of Edward. Nor are he and Meghan remotely comparable to Charles. Harry was not involved in the end of Meghan's marriage. Nor is he the future head of the church of England. Both reasons why Charles didn't marry in the church. For the future head of the church to remarry the woman he had an adulterous affair with, in the church, would not have been accepted by most. Meghan may be divorced but Harry was not part.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:34 PM
Heir Apparent

In this Express article Ingrid Seward, who is the Chief Editor of Majesty magazine (which concentrates on British and some foreign royals) is quoted as saying that she believes that Harry took Meghan up to Balmoral following their African holiday. She has contacts within the Royal Household I think and elsewhere. She says she can't be 100% certain that the visit occurred but is 'about 98%'.

Prince Harry 'introduces Meghan Markle to the Queen at Balmoral' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Old 09-13-2017, 10:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
... He will marry in Church like his forebears and even if the ceremony has some personal touches it will be traditional Church of England.
Assuredly. I agree that M&H will follow his family's British royal traditions and protocol, even as they make sure that their wedding has all the style, substance and special touches that are meaningful to both of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Yes, beyond being her stylist, Jessica and Meghan have been friends for years. They have been photographed going to yoga and at events...

And with Jessica on a girls trip in Italy
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKCLoRAg...y=meghanmarkle
I would imagine that Meghan and Jessica Mulroney met sometime after Meghan's relocation to Toronto from L.A. to film Suits. Perhaps Jessica became Meghan's stylist first and their friendship evolved.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:44 PM
Nobility

There are many, many royals who married outside the church.

Some of them married in a castle/palace, abbey or home:
  • John and Isabella countess of gloucester -- Marlborough Castle
  • Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou -- Titchfield Abbey
  • Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville -- secret ceremony, traditionally at her parents home
  • Henry VIII and Jane Seymour -- Queens Closet at Whitehall
  • Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves -- Palace of Placentia
  • Henry VIII and Katherine Howard -- Oatlands Palace
  • Henry VIII -- hampton Court Palace
  • James I and Anne of Denmark -- Old Bishop's Palace in Oslo
  • James II and Anne Hyde - Worcester House London
  • William and Mary -- St. James's Palace
  • George I and Sophia Dorothea -- Celle Castle
  • William and Adelaide & Duke of Kent and Victoria -- Kew Palace

Some of them married in secret and the location is unclear (but if it were in a church, there'd be a record and we'd know):
  • Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn
  • Charles II Catherine of Braganza -- secret Catholic ceremony before the Anglican church wedding
  • George IV and Maria Fitzherbert

A number married in a private chapel:
  • Richard III and Anne Neville -- chapel of St. Stephen in Westminster Palace
  • Anne and George of Denmark -- Chapel Royal (SJP)
  • George II and Caroline of Ansbach -- Palace chapel at Herrenhausen
  • George III and Charlotte -- Chapel Royal
  • George IV and Caroline -- Chapel Royal
  • Victoria and Albert -- Chapel Royal
  • Edward and Alex - St. George's at Windsor (note this was before television and they were criticized for having such a private wedding)
  • George V and Mary - Chapel Royal

Many, many royal weddings have been hidden away from public view. Of course, the Windsors transformed the royal wedding experience into a public extravaganza and I don't expect Harry's wedding to be small.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:48 PM
Nobility

I would like to see H&M spend another year before they go ahead and get engaged, much as I'd like to see another Royal wedding. I've always believed the first two years are sort of when are a couple are in a bit of a magical dreamland, where the other person is always right and there is no conflict. But after two years, things calm down, and the couple is more normal with each other. But, hey, what do i know? I've never been married and although my 'significant other' is a ginga, he's also a cat!

I do think, though, if they go ahead, then it will be a wedding much like Edward's, in possibly the same place.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:16 PM
Majesty

As for meeting the family, I don't think Meghan has met the queen and prince of wales. But I do believe she has met Gran and Dad. Yes, I know the same people, but have to look at it through different eyes. For Harry, they are first and foremost his grandmother and father. That is his relationship with them. Its natural, even if engagement is not imminent, that when serious with someone you introduce them to your family. Balmoral would likely be a great place to do it. The queen would be more relaxed and in her down time. More like Gran and not the queen. As casual a setting as you can have with her, gran or not.

I also don't think, if this is the first meeting with the queen, any proposal was made. While I do think he has her informal blessing already or this wouldn't have gone so far, I don't see Harry proposing until she has met the close family. The queen is included.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:26 PM
Nobility

Reportedly, Harry also took Meghan to Birkhall in Scotland last September during hunt season, where she met Prince Charles for the first time, which I believe might be true. I wonder if Meghan knows how to ride horses? After she attended Harry's polo match in early May, there were reports claiming that Meghan was interested in learning polo, but that could very easily have been just as apocryphal as so many ill-founded media fantasies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
... I've never been married and although my 'significant other' is a ginga, he's also a cat!
Of the four-legged variety I assume. The best kind.

Although, Mr. Prince Harry seems like a rather cool cat himself, aside from his smoking habit, which I truly hope he's quit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
I do think, though, if they go ahead, then it will be a wedding much like Edward's, in possibly the same place.
Good arguments have been made for Windsor (St. George's Chapel), as well as a scaled-down Westminster Abbey affair.

Looks as if Meghan and Harry are more concerned at the moment with continuing to enjoy and to preserve the time that is right now still their own special love story. As Meghan said in VF: "... this is our time. This is for us... what makes it so special is that it's just ours..." Without the prying eyes of the public, and the over-scrutiny of the media, is what she seems to be saying.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Seems like Meghan will definitely be back for the second half of Suits (I wondered about it but the summer finale tonight made it clear her character is sticking around)

My money is now on late November- December for an engagement announcement
Old 09-13-2017, 11:49 PM
Majesty

My bet was always on late November, early December at earliest.

The decision to sign on for the season was made last summer. Her and Harry were just starting out. While she presumably could have negotiated to get out earlier, Meghan seems like one who is serious about commitments/work. The season will stop filming late November.

The thought she would get engaged when she was still filming the show seemed a ginormous stretch at best. Not even the security concern of pr once news hit, when on set. But she will also be expected to be the 'royal fiance' in London for wedding, and starting to learn her new life. Whether 'princess training' is a real thing or made up by media, people will be expecting some form. With her clothing line and tig shut down, once she raps up filming, her only obligations will be charity work. Work she can continue as a royal.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
My bet was always on late November, early December at earliest.

The decision to sign on for the season was made last summer. Her and Harry were just starting out. While she presumably could have negotiated to get out earlier, Meghan seems like one who is serious about commitments/work. The season will stop filming late November.

The thought she would get engaged when she was still filming the show seemed a ginormous stretch at best. Not even the security concern of pr once news hit, when on set. But she will also be expected to be the 'royal fiance' in London for wedding, and starting to learn her new life. Whether 'princess training' is a real thing or made up by media, people will be expecting some form. With her clothing line and tig shut down, once she raps up filming, her only obligations will be charity work. Work she can continue as a royal.

I always wondered if maybe it would happen before Invictus but I think you're right and your timeline is more accurate
Old 09-14-2017, 12:07 AM
Nobility

Prince Harry has already met both of Meghan's parents, I would bet. Plus, no matter how much time Meghan has spent at KP with Harry, it does not mean she casually ran into the Queen on one of her visits. BP and royal protocol are rather formal even in this day and age, when it comes to meeting the Queen of England.

I believe the report that Prince Harry introduced Meghan for the first time to the Queen at Balmoral on September 3. It makes sense. Harry most likely has met Meghan's Mom on several occasions, and her Dad on at least a couple of occasions.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:10 AM
Commoner

Will Meghan attend invictus games seems to be the big question as of now . Some reporters are sure she will and others not too convinced .
The way I look at it .. Invictus is something Harry founded and is so passionate about so am sure he would want his girlfriend by his side .
Moreover it would be in Toronto and if Meghan isn't there ... then it would raise eyebrows .

We used to see Kate around for the Sandhurst passin out , garter ceremony , Diana concert etc etc .