The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-13-2017, 07:15 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This raises the question of whether the person who is a senior royal within the "Firm" should marry for how the media and the general public perceive the new addition or is it more important that the senior royal within the "Firm" bases his choice on his heart and his compatibility with the person? What is more important really in the long run? What the media and the general public's "opinion" is or what advantages a person marrying into the family and the "Firm" can bring to the long range goals of serving the people?

In all honesty, those that really are in the know and have the right to opinions probably don't care to have the media or the general public's opinions on their radar when all is said and done. Just like my opinion on whether Richard Branson was right to stay at Necker Island during Irma in his cemented wine cellar ever mattered or came into his consciousness.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:03 AM
Commoner

Thank u Ossipi �� Hoping to have a good time here .

Old 09-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Commoner

^ ive seen a lot of reporters covering his engagements say that and he does have that quality that he seamlessly fits in with the public .
Beyond that I don't need to give any proof for what I believe in . Time will tell .
Old 09-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Gentry

We are no longer living in the era of the 80s when the magic was still alive. The royals can no longer get away with spending obscene amount of public money. We are now living in the age of austerity and needless displays of opulence is now frowned upon. The royals can’t be seen to be tone deaf to the current climate of the country.

As popular as Harry might be, it will be a hard sell to have a grand wedding at the Abbey. It has nothing to do with popularity but whether you can justify the cost & sell it to the British public. When you take into consideration the hefty cost of security & the massive disruption to London, the bottom line is there is simply no justification for it. Also bear in mind Harry is now going to be 6th in line to the throne so he is getting further away.

William was very popular back in 2011, however some sections of the British pubic kicked up a huge stink over the cost of his wedding. The palace was able to sell it because William will one day be King, and even then it still had to be downgraded to a semi-state occasion to make it more palatable to the public.

The Queen also thought she could rely on her popularity after the Windsor Castle fire in ‘92. However when the public were shown the hefty bill for the renovations people rebelled & the royals had to raise the funds themselves. Buckingham Palace is also currently going through costly renovations at the moment which people are not happy about. Public pressure has led to many changes for the royals, and that includes the need for having overly grand weddings.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Nobility

Will the wedding be televised if it is at Windsor?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
I would think it will be televised wherever he marries.

LaRae
Old 09-13-2017, 01:20 PM
Aristocracy

Meghan Markle Finally Meets Queen Elizabeth - Us Weekly

Have to say, I'm very hesitant to believe the details of this story, given that US Weekly isn't all that reliable. But at this point, it's certainly possible that Meghan has met the Queen.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Royal Highness

I believe Meghan must have met the Queen.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post

Have to say, I'm very hesitant to believe the details of this story, given that US Weekly isn't all that reliable. But at this point, it's certainly possible that Meghan has met the Queen.
Totally agree.

Did she meet the queen that exact day? No idea. Has she met the queen? Probably. They seem to be so serious that it would surprise me if Harry didn't want to introduce Meghan to his grandmother. And I'm almost certain that she met the rest of his immediate family.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Courtier

Well, there were reports that they were out of London that weekend. We know Charles and the Queen had an engagement together that weekend, but there is definitely time to meet if they wanted to arrange it in the schedule.

Although, I do get a tickle thinking that when both Kate and Meghan meet their significant other's grandmother, they'd have to curtsy. Not something you see everyday.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
What is the seating capacity of St. George's Chapel? I see that WA is about 2,000 and St. Paul's Cathedral is 3,500. I agree that in the interest of cutting down on elaborate costs, and just probably for their personal preferences, H&M will wish to have a relatively small wedding along the lines of W&K. It therefore seems to me that H&M will choose WA and probably do the BP balcony appearance. Why not?
1. About 800.

2. Williams wedding in 2011: A scaled-down wedding in comparison with the Abbey weddings of Margaret, Anne and Andrew. Why? Due to the financial crisis.

To Westminster Abbey in cars and back to the palace in open carriages for William/Kate and the bridal party, and closed carriages for the Queen/Philip, Charles/Camilla and Kate's parents and appearance on the balcony. But it was still a grand royal wedding, so I wont call it relatively small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen E View Post
William was very popular back in 2011, however some sections of the British pubic kicked up a huge stink over the cost of his wedding. The palace was able to sell it because William will one day be King, and even then it still had to be downgraded to a semi-state occasion to make it more palatable to the public.
Agree! And what I've been writing for over a year here.

I wrote in post 981: And remember: William is the eldest son of the heir, and he was as popular as Harry (if not even more) when he married, and there were still complaining from media and other people about the costs etc.

I'll therefor be very surprised if he gets a Abbey wedding with a carriage procession and a balcony apperance.

I think we'll see much of the same as we saw for Edward in 1999, A Televised Royal Wedding at St George's Chapel with a carriage procession in Windsor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
The Windsor weddings for Charles and Edward were televised, so I will be very surprised if Harry's is not.

And to the members who disagree with me, I can of course be wrong, but I will be very suprised if Harry gets a Abbey wedding with a carriage processions and balcony appearance.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Well, there were reports that they were out of London that weekend. We know Charles and the Queen had an engagement together that weekend, but there is definitely time to meet if they wanted to arrange it in the schedule.

Although, I do get a tickle thinking that when both Kate and Meghan meet their significant other's grandmother, they'd have to curtsy. Not something you see everyday.
Yep. That makes it sound plausible but then I read about a proposal and specifics about the engagement ring and I remember why I don't trust US Weekly.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
My inner gut feeling says that Harry and Meghan will turn out a disaster. Like his brother William, also Harry loathes the boulevard press for their intrusive behaviour. Didn't he complain about it in his previous relationships with girlfriends?

Such an engagement and possibly a marriage will work like a giant magnet on the rats of the boulevard press and they will swarm the couple like a plague, exactly what Harry loathes so much...

I understand that love makes blind, that love knows no borders, but my gut feeling says Harry needs a pretty unspectacular and unknown wife. Some sort of Sophie Rhys-Jones and not a Meghan Markle.
First and foremost, I want to say I have nothing against Ms. Markle, I think she's a very accomplished young lady. Educated, well spoken and in her words a "brash American". She's very much her own person and she's got a career that most of us (not me) - specially aspiring actors - would like to have on our CV. So - no hate coming from me about her at all.

Personally I agree with you about Harry and Meghan being a disaster because of 2 things that stand out in my mind.

First - as a "brash American" - and having been educated in the United States and now have lived here for 16 years, I know how opinionated and passionate Americans are. So, can Ms. Markle going into "The Firm" will have to slightly curb some of her opinions - personal, political and otherwise - and be a demure and smiling figure of a duchess content to work in the humanitarian field?

Second - she was with her ex-husband for like 8 years before they married. Then they got married and 2 years later she called it quits. I have a problem with that track record. You don't date someone for that long a time, get married then call it quits. She's known Harry for a lot less time - the huge question for me here is - will she bolt once she finds out the reality of living within the confines of "The Firm"? That is the bigger concern.

That said - I wish them all the luck and happiness in the future. Just one thing Harry - get a pre-nup. Love is blind, but the neighbours ain't :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You don't get out of life alive" ~Jimmy the Hand~
"The battle of the sexes will never be won, we keep fraternizing with the enemy"
Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen E View Post
We are no longer living in the era of the 80s when the magic was still alive. The royals can no longer get away with spending obscene amount of public money. We are now living in the age of austerity and needless displays of opulence is now frowned upon. The royals can’t be seen to be tone deaf to the current climate of the country.

As popular as Harry might be, it will be a hard sell to have a grand wedding at the Abbey. It has nothing to do with popularity but whether you can justify the cost & sell it to the British public. When you take into consideration the hefty cost of security & the massive disruption to London, the bottom line is there is simply no justification for it. Also bear in mind Harry is now going to be 6th in line to the throne so he is getting further away.

The Queen also thought she could rely on her popularity after the Windsor Castle fire in ‘92. However when the public were shown the hefty bill for the renovations people rebelled & the royals had to raise the funds themselves. Buckingham Palace is also currently going through costly renovations at the moment which people are not happy about. Public pressure has led to many changes for the royals, and that includes the need for having overly grand weddings.
Well, and I'm sure that neither Harry nor Meghan are 'high maintenance.' If it was left up to them, I'm sure they'd prefer to have a small and intimate family and closest friends wedding out of the public eye (and paid for by themselves, since they can both afford it independently of British taxpayers). We can't have it both ways. Complain about the cost and pine to see the magic of a royal wedding at the same time.

To a degree, some in the public want to see spectacle and the magic of a grand wedding, but realistically sure, the prohibitive costs for security, etc., make mounting too grand a spectacle less likely. I suppose there's always the magic of Diana's wedding to remember. And yet, there was nothing substantial or solid at all about C&D's relationship or their marriage. The main good things that came of it are William and Harry (and to a degree -- and at a huge personal cost -- the much needed changing of attitudes regarding preparation/ treatment/ expectations of royal wives).

I certainly agree that Harry being soon to become 6th in line to the throne will likely have a much smaller wedding than William's. In that sense, those who suggest the venue will be St. George's Chapel with a Windsor carriage procession (and no BP balcony appearance) may be on point. Will some royal watchers complain if H&M decide to scale down even further and disallow cameras inside the church?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post

The gist of it (barring unconfirmed specifics) sounds true to me. It seems entirely reasonable that Meghan would have met the Queen during a recent trip to Scotland. It's also not a surprise that Meghan and Harry would have grown even closer and solidified their love for each other during their three-week trip traveling together in Africa.

I think M&H are probably engaged and that Harry popped the question in a romantic setting during the Africa trip. Plans (as suggested in the article) are surely further along now for preparing the roll-out of an engagement announcement. The royals, with the help of their staff, have their schedules planned out far in advance. Therefore, the date of an announcement is likely being fleshed out, or has already been set (with the details and logistics still being put together).

Interestingly, it has not yet been announced as to whether Suits will continue for an 8th season. Possibly, a double announcement will come in November when season 7 wraps: 1) Meghan Markle is leaving the show, and 2) Suits will end at 7 seasons, or they will extend for an 8th season.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:22 PM
Commoner

Many of you all have a point here . WA wedding with so much money spent doesn't seem likely .

At the end of the day the wedding in itself is a union of 2 people who want to spend their lives together . So it doesn't matter how big or small it is .
Maybe Harry himself prefers something small and intimate .. let's wait and watch .

The US weekly article is surprisingly detailed in their description so maybe there is some truth in it and it was said that Harry n Meghan were away that weekend so...
Old 09-13-2017, 02:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The gist of it (barring unconfirmed specifics) sounds true to me. It seems entirely reasonable that Meghan would have met the Queen during a recent trip to Scotland. It's also not a surprise that Meghan and Harry would have grown even closer and solidified their love for each other during their three-week trip traveling together in Africa.

I think M&H are probably engaged and that Harry popped the question in a romantic setting during the Africa trip. Plans (as suggested in the article) are surely further along now for preparing the roll-out of an engagement announcement. The royals, with the help of their staff, have their schedules planned out far in advance. Therefore, the date of an announcement is likely being fleshed out, or has already been set (with the details and logistics still being put together).

Interestingly, it has not yet been announced as to whether Suits will continue for an 8th season. Possibly, a double announcement will come in November when season 7 wraps: 1) Meghan Markle is leaving the show, and 2) Suits will end at 7 seasons, or they will extend for an 8th season.
At this point, I'm not expecting Suits to be renewed. They would have to go through contract negotiations with the actors this time around, and it's just too far along in the season. If you look at the dates for announcing renewals, Season 7 was announced early August, and Season 6 in July of that year. It's already mid-September. I think an announcement is likely held up because of the unique situation with this relationship.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:48 PM
Aristocracy

I believe the showrunner is still expecting or hoping for another season, but I would be surprised if that happens. Honestly, I think the show should have ended a few seasons ago. It's just not as interesting as it used to be.

As for US Weekly, most of its articles are almost always detailed yet the accuracy is 50/50, at best, from what I've seen.

Re: the location of a wedding, I'm not going to dismiss the expense argument but I'm certain that a televised wedding, regardless of where it's held, will still come with many complaints. So I wouldn't rule out WA based on that. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
At this point, I'm not expecting Suits to be renewed. They would have to go through contract negotiations with the actors this time around, and it's just too far along in the season. If you look at the dates for announcing renewals, Season 7 was announced early August, and Season 6 in July of that year. It's already mid-September. I think an announcement is likely held up because of the unique situation with this relationship.
Right. A renewal is usually announced by this point. The producers and writers may feel that 7 seasons is enough. I think season 6 (e.g.) was much better than seasons 4-5. I haven't seen any of season 7 yet. Perhaps they don't think its worth pursuing an 8th season after losing Gina Torres and now Meghan. Torres is going to have a spin-off series set in Chicago (and probably filmed in L.A.), I've heard.

Suits producers have definitely been cooperative and accommodating with the excess security precautions necessitated by Meghan's royal relationship. And there's definitely been a change in how her character has been written toward the tail end of season 6 and as well in season 7, I've heard. The writers had Meghan's character Rachel going in all kinds of silly and inauthentic emotional directions during seasons 4 and 5. I prefer the way her character evolved in season 6, and there were more scenes Meghan could sink her teeth into as a working law student/attorney intern, rather than an emotional headcase reacting to her boyfriend's traumas.

Definitely when season 7 wraps in November, there will likely be a double announcement of Meghan's departure and maybe the show's end altogether. But, they could also have already arranged for the other actors to sign on for an 8th and final blowout season. We'll see.

And likely M&H engagement news in early December. Or, they might wait until after Meghan moves to London. In that case, maybe there will be an announcement around Valentine's Day next year, with a summer (June) wedding planned.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Right. A renewal is usually announced by this point. The producers and writers may feel that 7 seasons is enough. I think season 6 (e.g.) was much better than seasons 4-5. I haven't seen any of season 7 yet. Perhaps they don't think its worth pursuing an 8th season after losing Gina Torres and now Meghan. Torres is going to have a spin-off series set in Chicago (and probably filmed in L.A.), I've heard.

Suits producers have definitely been cooperative and accommodating with the excess security precautions necessitated by Meghan's royal relationship. And there's definitely been a change in how her character has been written toward the tail end of season 6 and as well in season 7, I've heard. The writers had Meghan's character Rachel going in all kinds of silly and inauthentic emotional directions during seasons 4 and 5. I prefer the way her character evolved in season 6, and there were more scenes Meghan could sink her teeth into as a working law student/attorney intern, rather than an emotional headcase reacting to her boyfriend's traumas.

Definitely when season 7 wraps in November, there will likely be a double announcement of Meghan's departure and maybe the show's end altogether. But, they could also have already arranged for the other actors to sign on for an 8th and final blowout season. We'll see.

And likely M&H engagement news in early December. Or, they might wait until after Meghan moves to London. In that case, maybe there will be an announcement around Valentine's Day next year, with a summer (June) wedding planned.
Do the BRF typically have summer weddings? The reason I ask is because HMQ and senior members tend to vacation in summer as the BP is open to public.