The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1081  
Old 09-11-2017, 11:36 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtns View Post
I keep wondering if they may help with the Prince's Trust. Once Charles steps up whether in a Regency or as King there will be a huge void that needs filling. It seems that H&M may fill the bill of managing that Trust and continuing it's work. I think Charles will need to find a worthy successor(s).
I think this is a good idea which is why I think Charles should take Meghan under his wing.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1082  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:37 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,581
Considering beyond his military focus, Harry is really passionate about the environment, he would be a wonderful successor to much of his dad's work. Meghan if she has an interest, would likely make a wonderful advocate.

When Charles is king, if the slim down is a reality, the Cambridges and the Harry duo will need to start splitting away and not being such a group. They will need to broaden their focus, as others retire. The princes trust may be a good idea for Harry and his wife to move off towards. As William will face what his father will in the next few years face, having to step away from his personal projects and taking the role of the throne.

Its what I liked about Philip handing over the reigns of the DOE awards to Edward. Not simply because he is said to get the title. The DOE is such a wonderful initiative and one that needs focus. Focus someone like Charles could never devote to it. It was a great fit, and not just in title, to Edward. It also gives his future role a focus. I would like to see the same thing be done with Charles and his trust.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1083  
Old 09-12-2017, 03:29 AM
Elenath's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
When people are speaking about Meghan's genetic background, it is interesting that a DNA test does not show anything about skin color.


You are right it doesn't. It can show where someone's ancestors come from though. But that doesn't always mean much in regards to skin colour. A few months ago the NYT tried this on a group of people and one of them was a man who had always thought of himself as black. When the test results came back it turned out he was mostly white. It seems to me people put too much focus on skin colour and not enough on culture and religion. MM will have enough to deal with if she marries Harry when it comes to culture. There are more differences between the uk and the USA than most people realise. Who cares about skin colour.
Reply With Quote
  #1084  
Old 09-12-2017, 03:48 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
You are right it doesn't. It can show where someone's ancestors come from though. But that doesn't always mean much in regards to skin colour. A few months ago the NYT tried this on a group of people and one of them was a man who had always thought of himself as black. When the test results came back it turned out he was mostly white. It seems to me people put too much focus on skin colour and not enough on culture and religion. MM will have enough to deal with if she marries Harry when it comes to culture. There are more differences between the uk and the USA than most people realise. Who cares about skin colour.
People that spend hours on the beach in the sun and spend a lot of green dollars at a tanning salon and the corporations that make tanning products. I think I got them all.

Back to Harry and Meghan, I think they're both familiar with each side of the pond enough to really get by. The major adjustments Meghan would have to deal with are the in and the outs of the royal court and the oodles of protocols that go along with it. I think she'll be a fast learner though and take to it like a duck to water. She seems to be a natural at talking to people and making them feel at ease and that's always a plus. Public speaking will not be any kind of a problem for her either.

Question? Does anyone know how many languages Meghan speaks? I don't think that subject has ever been brought up.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #1085  
Old 09-12-2017, 04:23 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,750
I have read that Meghan speaks fluent Spanish and conversational French, so that's a start! A multi-lingual speaker will be a bonus I think.
Reply With Quote
  #1086  
Old 09-12-2017, 05:04 AM
princesslily's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West London, United Kingdom
Posts: 182
After reading her friend sticking up for her in the press and saying Meghan is not just a plus one, I hope Meghan realises, if they marry, she WILL lose her identity and represent the firm.

IMO, if they marry, I don't see it ending well after the excitement visiting each other wears off and they settle as a married couple. That and the conservative lifestyle. Harry is just being hot headed.

Meghan is suited as a celebrity not royalty IMO. If she continues behaving the way she has (sorry to say that VF was a disaster) then I don't feel she will be very popular in the UK. Perhaps she will change and act more conservative, but then she might feel claustrophobic.

More of the British public are finding out about her after VF created a media surge. The reaction so far is negative. Foreigners can say what they like, but it's the British public opinion that matters most.

I personally hope she doesn't attend the IG as it will overshadow the purpose of the event as their first official engagement IMO.

If she wants to continue speaking out about social and political issues with her views then maybe this isnt the right job for her. Royal duties are there to promote the charities, not someone's views.

I added a lot of IMOs because this is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #1087  
Old 09-12-2017, 05:55 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,137
I believe that you would rather have seen Harry with a British woman? Or at least someone with a totally different career path?

Add: I wonder whether I will receive a response, as some posters are very selective in what they respond to - which sometimes leaves legitimate questions unanswered. Their right of course, but a missed opportunity.
Reply With Quote
  #1088  
Old 09-12-2017, 06:23 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 402
Personally, I don't see a big difference between a celebrity or royalty these days, but that's just my opinion. I also don't see Harry living a conservative lifestyle. Quite the opposite, tbh.

Whichever event they'll attend together as their first official engagement, it'll overshadow the event. I'm thinking, that the athletes and organisers of ig would feel it as an honour, if Harry and Meghan chose ig a their first official engagement.

What political views has Meghan expressed openly in the past year?

I'm seeing a lot of talk here about her behaviour, political views, social issues, and I haven't seen any of this happening, so can someone enlighten me, what are these things that she's done wrong?

And finally, as someone who's moved to the UK from another country, the British culture isn't that hard to get used to, and actually enjoy. UK isn't some special snowflake country or culture, which people from other countries can't adapt to, understand and like. Most British people are open, friendly, polite, and well mannered, and as long as you remember your 'please and thank you', you've got an excellent start.
Reply With Quote
  #1089  
Old 09-12-2017, 06:43 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,500
Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

I really hope that Meghan doesn't come to the games. It's all about the athletes and what they have been through they should be on the front page with Harry they are the hero If Meghan has her first public date with Harry it will be all about her and Harry's love on the front page etc. I will be very disappointed if that happens
If Harry wants her there they should have a couple of public outings before the games
Reply With Quote
  #1090  
Old 09-12-2017, 06:59 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,137
IF they will have a public outing soon (however 'soon' that may be), I think it would be better to have it at a more 'low profile' event than the Invictus Games.
Reply With Quote
  #1091  
Old 09-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 473
@princesslily - Diana was believed to be the perfect fit and we all saw how that ended. A lot of people thought Camilla would never get the ring but it happened. Queen Victoria saw her Germanic husband Albert get trashed by the public because of his roots (and he was royal before his marriage) but he made great contributions. The point is, one cannot assume the marriage is going to go under because Meghan is an actress and can't fit in. This is uncharted territory and there is some historical significance for this marriage and possibly the "special relationship" between the U.S. and the U.K. may take on another demension. As for Harry, he may not want a perfect English rose (see Cressida Bonas). Instead, he opted for an American beauty (rose).
Reply With Quote
  #1092  
Old 09-12-2017, 08:46 AM
princesslily's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West London, United Kingdom
Posts: 182
Exactly. What makes you believe Meghan is the perfect fit?

Hardly anyone knew what Diana was like until she got married to Charles.

We knew Camilla would eventually marry Charles so I don't know what you're talking about as Charles slowly introduced Camilla to the public as his partner and it took several years of PR.

Meghan has put herself out there. There is so much about her known to the public. She is an outspoken ambitious woman who wanted to be famous. Don't deny that. That's all part of wanting to be an actress on screen otherwise she would have chosen theatre.

I never thought Cressida was good for Harry. It was obvious she just used Harry to get some fame so she can become a famous actress and skip the queue of actually working her way to fame herself. I don't believe she ever intended to marry Harry.

And I never said he should only pick a Brit. That was someone else's assumption.

By the way Princess Sofia was never outspoken and a driven feminist. Sure she had a controversial career background. And what about her family? Are they scandalous? The only thing that made others feel she wasn't suitable was because of her past career. It took several years of PR and appearances to introduce her to the Swedish public as a future royal.

All this pressure after a year of dating (visiting each other in different countries) because of Meghan's "childbearing" age which is still safe in late 30s. They really should try living together for one year and during that time Harry to slowly introduce Meghan as a future royal starting with a minor event.
Reply With Quote
  #1093  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslily View Post
Exactly. What makes you believe Meghan is the perfect fit?
The question to this is very simple. She has the skills to deal with some of the negative parts of dating Harry, which women in his past couldn't deal with. Why? Because she's already dealt with some of it, and she's still standing. She didn't allow them to knock her down. As for their private relationship, they are the ones that knows it best. We can only go by what we see, and so far they look quite happy. That's all anyone who likes Harry should want for him.

As for her political views, I don't see Meghan talking about tax reform or trade agreements. She's talking about gender and racial equality and calling out misogyny. The only reason that seems political is because there are crappy and powerful people in this world that believes keeping a gender or a race lesser than another or that a woman's worth is how useful she is to a man. Now, I thought advocating for the weaker and those in need is exactly what the royal family has been trying to do. If I'm wrong on that, perhaps the problem is they wouldn't be good enough for Meghan.

ETA: You do realize statistics have shown that couples who live together prior to engagement is actually MORE likely to divorce, right?

Also, can someone explain to me how is being a legitimate actress still a controversial career in 2017? Some are acting like she was a porn star.
Reply With Quote
  #1094  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:31 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslily View Post
Exactly. What makes you believe Meghan is the perfect fit?

Hardly anyone knew what Diana was like until she got married to Charles.

We knew Camilla would eventually marry Charles so I don't know what you're talking about as Charles slowly introduced Camilla to the public as his partner and it took several years of PR.

Meghan has put herself out there. There is so much about her known to the public. She is an outspoken ambitious woman who wanted to be famous. Don't deny that. That's all part of wanting to be an actress on screen otherwise she would have chosen theatre.

I never thought Cressida was good for Harry. It was obvious she just used Harry to get some fame so she can become a famous actress and skip the queue of actually working her way to fame herself. I don't believe she ever intended to marry Harry.

And I never said he should only pick a Brit. That was someone else's assumption.

By the way Princess Sofia was never outspoken and a driven feminist. Sure she had a controversial career background. And what about her family? Are they scandalous? The only thing that made others feel she wasn't suitable was because of her past career. It took several years of PR and appearances to introduce her to the Swedish public as a future royal.

All this pressure after a year of dating (visiting each other in different countries) because of Meghan's "childbearing" age which is still safe in late 30s. They really should try living together for one year and during that time Harry to slowly introduce Meghan as a future royal starting with a minor event.
I said that and it was absolutely not meant as an assumption. It was a question I asked you, whether you feel that way and my prediction was right. You did not answer my question > because you are clearly so against Meghan - that's why I asked what kind of woman would you want to see Harry with?
Reply With Quote
  #1095  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 402
We can only make guesses, who'd be a good fit for the firm, but it has to start from who's a good fit for Harry. He has to be able to find a woman he wants to spend his life with. Then comes the question if she fits the firm. The firm being Harry's family. I have no doubt they'll do their best to welcome the woman Harry has found a connection with, and make her feel at ease. The public part of the job Imo is not such a big difference to actors promoting their projects, it's pr work, and regular promotional charity work. Which IMHO meghan is very familiar with, and will do great.
Reply With Quote
  #1096  
Old 09-12-2017, 11:36 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
IF they will have a public outing soon (however 'soon' that may be), I think it would be better to have it at a more 'low profile' event than the Invictus Games.
And what upcoming event would you say qualifies as "low profile?" Lets remember that no matter what event they attend together, they will make the front pages. But I can see why Harry would choose the Invictus Games as their first official outing. The Games are something he created, it's perhaps more personal to him than any other event, which means he is probably keen to share the experience with the woman he loves.

I must add that I do not buy the idea that the Games would be less meaningful or get lost in the coverage. It's a week long event and Meghan still has a job. I doubt she would be there everyday. And believe it or not, all the speculation of whether or not she attends actually brings more of a spotlight on the event itself. I'm willing to bet that there are people out there who will likely have only heard about or know what Invictus is because of all the talk about Harry and Meghan making an appearance together.
Reply With Quote
  #1097  
Old 09-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
And what upcoming event would you say qualifies as "low profile?" Lets remember that no matter what event they attend together, they will make the front pages. But I can see why Harry would choose the Invictus Games as their first official outing. The Games are something he created, it's perhaps more personal to him than any other event, which means he is probably keen to share the experience with the woman he loves.

I must add that I do not buy the idea that the Games would be less meaningful or get lost in the coverage. It's a week long event and Meghan still has a job. I doubt she would be there everyday. And believe it or not, all the speculation of whether or not she attends actually brings more of a spotlight on the event itself. I'm willing to bet that there are people out there who will likely have only heard about or know what Invictus is because of all the talk about Harry and Meghan making an appearance together.
Meghan has a day job and I think its fine for her to attend events especially with so many other high profile celebs and politicians who will attend. Was it wrong for Chelsy and Kate to attend events like the Princess Diana concert? Why is Meghan any different. I'm sure they will err on the side of restraint and she will attend the closing ceremony and they will be seen possibly before the games. Also remember you have different levels of press, entertainment press will always be silly but the sport press will cover the games and the athletes without hysteria.
Reply With Quote
  #1098  
Old 09-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
And what upcoming event would you say qualifies as "low profile?" Lets remember that no matter what event they attend together, they will make the front pages. But I can see why Harry would choose the Invictus Games as their first official outing. The Games are something he created, it's perhaps more personal to him than any other event, which means he is probably keen to share the experience with the woman he loves.

I must add that I do not buy the idea that the Games would be less meaningful or get lost in the coverage. It's a week long event and Meghan still has a job. I doubt she would be there everyday. And believe it or not, all the speculation of whether or not she attends actually brings more of a spotlight on the event itself. I'm willing to bet that there are people out there who will likely have only heard about or know what Invictus is because of all the talk about Harry and Meghan making an appearance together.
I don't know, and with that I was rather thinking along the lines of the first engagement Catherine accompanied William on once she was his fiancée. The Teenage Cancer Trust Christmas Party on November 18, 2010.

Or wasn't that 'low profile' (not the exact correct words, but I don't know a better way to phrase it)?
Reply With Quote
  #1099  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:01 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 402
Whatever event they will attend together for the first time, will be overshadowed to an extent. I don't know how one event or cause would be more 'deserving' tbh. I'm thinking it would bring extra attention to the event, and excitement for everyone participating.
Reply With Quote
  #1100  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,137
I don't mean to say 'more deserving' or anything like that, I just thought that Catherine and William's first 'official' outing was a bit low-key and I thought along those lines for a possible future outing for Harry and Meghan.

If anything, it's up for Harry himself to decide.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 24 (4 members and 20 guests)
Alliec76, Dman
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Harry and Meghan: The Love Story" eya Royal Library 30 10-28-2017 02:39 AM




Popular Tags
baptism best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill coel hen crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark earl of snowdon general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy nazi news pablo urdangarín picture of the week portugal prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princess alexandra of luxembourg princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess margaretha of luxembourg princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia gowns queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania daytime fashion queen silvia spanish jewels state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises