Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering, when Meghan marries in, will she still celebrate Thanksgiving and July 4th? I am wondering how that will work for her and if Harry will celebrate those occasions with her and will her kids celebrate American holidays as well?

I don't think that Harry shouldn't have a good relationship with Camilla, but I am saying him marrying on the day Camilla married Charles is more trouble than its' worth.
I also think that Harry and Meghan should have their on individual wedding date and not share it.

Also, can we post pics on this thread or is there a seperate area where we may post them?

I am wondering, when Meghan marries in, will she still celebrate Thanksgiving and July 4th? I am wondering how that will work for her and if Harry will celebrate those occasions with her and will her kids celebrate American holidays as well?
That'd be up to the couple. I don't see why not.

I don't think that Harry shouldn't have a good relationship with Camilla, but I am saying him marrying on the day Camilla married Charles is more trouble than its' worth.
I also think that Harry and Meghan should have their on individual wedding date and not share it.

Also, can we post pics on this thread or is there a seperate area where we may post them?

Just a quick tip about posting pictures to threads. One thing to be very careful and aware of are photos that are copyrighted. As this could cause problems for TRF if those photos are posted here, I think its far better to be safe rather than sorry and the best way to post photos is to provide a link to them.

Of course photos that you have taken and have full rights to are different (such as with a smart phone) but for the most part, photos that are available around the internet are usually copyrighted.

Hope this helps

Based on my experience living abroad and having many friends who are married with someone from another country, most families find a way to incorporate important holidays into their family life (sometimes with others from the same background). Of course some adaptations are needed at times: an American in the UK wouldn't have days off and children would need to go to school on Thanksgiving but they can have a Thanksgiving Dinner at night (or even in the weekend).

So yes, I would expect them to celebrate Thanksgiving. 4th of July might be a little more awkward (and not something that I've seen Americans abroad celebrate as much): let's celebrate that the United States became independent from your (tirant) forefather...

still celebrate Thanksgiving

If Harry is anything like every other Englishman, ONE Turkey per annum in more than enough !

If Harry gets married in May that's not going to stop tourists visiting London. It's a big place. In fact a Royal wedding may attract more visitors.

Honestly they aren't a normal family. They not only have family birthdays to think of. But things like trooping, state visits, tours and more. Most of which are planned at least a year in advance.

Honestly if it comes down to marrying on Zara's birthday, marrying when Charles is on tour, or waiting extra months to marry, I think they would be saying 'Zara do you mind sharing your birthday?' and I highly doubt she'd have an issue. Happens in plenty of families.

I highly doubt a wedding would happen before May, as it seems Kate is likely due some time in April.

considering they will likely marry on a weekend as no bank holiday, we don't have to worry about:

-Zara- May 15 is a Monday
-Charlotte- May 2 is a Wednesday
-Wessex anniversary in a Tuesday
-Peter/Autum is a Thursday

The other dates mentioned, birthdays, are earlier in the year and unlikely as pretty quick to plan wedding or possible baby Cambridge. Philip's birthday is only one I'd rule out as even though Sunday, trooping is the day before.

Kate is not the only family member who they have to be concerned about attending.

Edward and Sophie's wedding anniversary is in June not May.

I can see Zara not caring if they chose her birthday but I couldn't see them choosing Charlotte's birthday.

All this speculation about an engagement is likely putting Harry off doing it until the hype has died down. Edward jokingly said that when there was speculation about his proposing to Sophie in the 90's he went quiet again. Harry will do it if and when he wants to and is ready.

If Harry gets married in May that's not going to stop tourists visiting London. It's a big place. In fact a Royal wedding may attract more visitors.
Yes but it would stop me from going there. Tons of even more tourists mean less fun. And more danger.
But I didnt want to start a controversial about this topic, it was just a small note.

May would be a fantastic month. They could announce the 1st week of December and then marry in May.
Save

Provided they are not superstitious.
There's an old saying that it's bad luck to get married in May:

Marry in the month of May
And you'll surely rue the day!

I bet they are engaged already and are working with BP/CH staff, lawyers etc to work out the details. Questions like keeping her US citizenship, closing out financial matters in Canada and US, a 36 yo business woman with a career, financial responsibilities doesn't just lift her tent and leave town. One major aspect is she's lived in her Toronto place for over 5 years, more than one suite case full of clothes, books and dogs!

Based on the discussion on this forum, I assume that keeping her US citizenship will not be a problem as

1. US citizenship is not lost upon acquiring citizenship in another country unless the person in question explicitly renounces his/her US citizenship.
  2. The UK does not object to dual citizenship and does not require citizens of other countries to renounce their original citizenship to become naturalized British citizens.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edward and Sophie's wedding anniversary is in June not May.

I can see Zara not caring if they chose her birthday but I couldn't see them choosing Charlotte's birthday.

All this speculation about an engagement is likely putting Harry off doing it until the hype has died down. Edward jokingly said that when there was speculation about his proposing to Sophie in the 90's he went quiet again. Harry will do it if and when he wants to and is ready.

I don't recall saying their anniversary was in May :ermm:

I said the earliest I could see them marrying was May. And proceeded to eliminate dates (like the Wessex anniversary) that had been listed as dates to avoid for possible weddings. As their anniversary is after May 1st, I included it in my list.

Considering Charlotte's birthday is in the middle of the week, even if he wanted to marry on his niece's birthday, pretty highly unlikely to have a mid week royal wedding.

Mirabel.....Many happy marriages have started in May, a very old superstition few people even recall. May long weekend is actually a very popular wedding date in Canada.

Her citizenship is matter of perception. Meghan keeping her US citizenship will bother some people and others won’t care.

I will say once an engagement is announced, Meghan will have to fully commit to Britain.

If she tries to keep a toe in her former life it won’t go over well.

Last edited:
Her citizenship is matter of perception. Meghan keeping her US citizenship will bother some people and others won’t care.

I will say once an engagement is announced, Meghan will have to fully commit to Britain.

If she tries to keep a toe in her former life it won’t go over well.

I get your point, but formally keeping her US citizenship doesn't necessarily imply divided loyalty, or Meghan not "fully committing" to Britain IMHO.

I know that, in the past, some high profile British politicians who were dual citizens renounced their foreign citizenship to prove "their undivided loyalty" to the UK, the most notable recent example being Boris Johnson, who gave up his US citizenship in 2016. Would members of the Royal Family be held, however, to the same standard as politicians ? I wonder what the British posters think about that.

BTW, if Meghan marries Prince Harry, would she be entitled to some kind of "fast-track" naturalization procedure (as I think Mary Donaldson and Máxima went through in Denmark and the Netherlands respectively) , or would she have to go through the normal process of acquiring UK citizenship ? If the latter, it could take a rather long time until she became a citizen, couldn't it ?

Last edited:
i think timing of the royal weddings has more to do with all of the calendars that are filled up so far in advance. That is why there seems to be a trend of weddings in late july (before the summer holiday break to Balmoral)

I would expect either early spring (mar/apr) or late summer.

I would expect a fast-track for Meghan naturalization process. IMO it would be wise for her to give up her US citizenship as she will be representing the UK from that moment on - as yes, it is an indication that she does not 'fully' commit to the UK (from a tax standpoint it would also be easier to no longer be a US citizen). Most people getting an additional nationality (and not giving up their original) indeed do so not with the aim to completely focus on their new nationality (in that case their wouldn't be a barrier to giving up the former) but also staying committed to their country of origin. A very logical sentiment, but also an indication of a divided commitment/loyalty so you will (which I am normally fine with but probably not the best course of action for a prominent member of a royal family).

To your list of foreign brides you can also add the hereditary grand duchess of Luxembourg: Stephanie also got her citizenship of Luxembourg faster than the normal process would allow. I am not sure about Mary and Stephanie but Máxima was not able to give up her Argentinian nationality (so, very different situation from Meghan; I am sure she would have given up her citizenship had that been an option). Nonetheless, she does no longer sing the Argentinian anthem at official occasions - as a clear sign that she is considers herself now fully Dutch.

Last edited:
Harry’s wedding, although probably not on the scale of William’s, will still be a ‘royal wedding’.

There will be things that must be taken into account.

William and Catherine are a future king and queen. Of course her due date will be worked around.

Probably early summer imo.

Last edited:
Would members of the Royal Family be held, however, to the same standard as politicians ?

I think they are held to a higher standard, given that their privilege is not subject to elections, as a politicians is.

There would be considerable dissatisfaction amongst the public if Ms Markle doesn't give up her US citizenship. It WILL be perceived as a lack of commitment to Britain [right or wrong], and would be fuelled by a great deal of negative Press. The Fail, the Sun, the Mirror would LOVE such a 'gift'...

I was wondering, as I am an American, but for those posters of you in the UK? What is the tempertature over there re Harry and Meghan's relationship? Are those in the UK interested, do they care are they put off that Meghan is biracial and American? I have read the comment section on the Daily Mail and they are horrid. I know Majesty magazine had to delete a ton of comments off their Facebook page Monday because of racism. Majesty mag said they would take action and archive the racist comments.

I am hoping for massive public support for Meghan in the UK, but not so sure.

I was wondering, as I am an American, but for those posters of you in the UK? What is the tempertature over there re Harry and Meghan's relationship? Are those in the UK interested, do they care are they put off that Meghan is biracial and American? I have read the comment section on the Daily Mail and they are horrid. I know Majesty magazine had to delete a ton of comments off their Facebook page Monday because of racism. Majesty mag said they would take action and archive the racist comments.

I am hoping for massive public support for Meghan in the UK, but not so sure.

Thing is, no one really knows much about her. I come from a family of monarchists, my children were born in the U.K.

There seemed to be much more ‘talk’ surrounding William and Catherine but as H&M become more serious I’m sure there will be buzz.

Meghan is an unknown quantity, so it’s difficult to make an assessment of her. I personally think she needs to spend some time in the U.K.

I cannot speak for others here, but there is an enormous well of affection for Prince Harry both as one 'of Diana's boys' and in his own right, as an ex-serving member our our armed forces. Consequently most people 'want him to be happy',and will accept his matrimonial choice.
That said I can detect no especial enthusiasm for Ms Markle, either for her nationality or her descent.
Harry's choice is [just that] HIS choice..

Last edited:
I cannot speak for others here, but there is an enormous well of affection for Prince Harry both as one 'of Diana's boys' and in his own right, as an ex-serving member our our armed forces. Consequently most people 'want him to be happy',and will accept his matrimonial choice.
That said I can detect no especial enthusiasm for Ms Markle, either for her nationality or her descent.

I hope that changes and that people do warm to her. Meghan is very charming, warm and forthright, things that hopefully will endear her to the public in the UK. I would hope no one would dislike her due to being American or biracial.

^

It may well change, but the 'right choices' are essential in ensuring it does, one would be giving up US nationality and thus 'being seen' to commit to Britain.

Also, being forthright is not considered a particularly endearing quality in the UK, and has landed the DoE and the Princess Royal 'in deep water' on more than one occasion !
Charm and warmth are a FAR safer bet !

ARe being forthright, Anne and Phillip are not what I call charming people.
Being forthright I think is a wonderful quality-no beating around the bush. And Meghan is charming. I hope she is given a chance.
I am concerned about prejudice she will face both inside and outside the palace. I dislike that her being American and being biracial is a big deal for some. I mean, it's the 21st century. Move forward!
Couldn't Meghan be a dual citizen? Why would that be bad?

Same here, and i would say the more i learn about Miss Markle, the more i like Kate. But again it's very personnal.
Am i oldfashioned ? I guess so. But i'm quite baffled by all the hype -dare i say it ?- a very American hype, the British being, as far i see, a bit more reluctant about this relationship.
But at the end it's Harry's choice. I deeply respect that and i wish them all the best , really.
As i said previously, i'm a bit more worried about the celebrification of the British Monarchy. But quoting one of my dear British friends , with the 3rd Cambridge baby on the way, Harry will be very soon more or less buried in the order of succession , so he can do whatever he damn wants.

ARe being forthright, Anne and Phillip are not what I call charming people.
Being forthright I think is a wonderful quality-no beating around the bush. And Meghan is charming. I hope she is given a chance.
I am concerned about prejudice she will face both inside and outside the palace. I dislike that her being American and being biracial is a big deal for some. I mean, it's the 21st century. Move forward!
Couldn't Meghan be a dual citizen? Why would that be bad?

One thing I've noticed, scriptgirl, is that you are the only one here that constantly brings up Meghan being biracial and American and the "problems" that it might cause. It doesn't seem to be a problem for all of us here so why keep harping on it? There are people too that will rant and rave because they absolutely hate ginger hair on people but that's what those kind of people do.

It will be a personal choice that Meghan makes as far as her citizenship goes. We'll just have to wait and see on that.

What it all boils down to is that Meghan seems to be the woman that Harry is happy with and from all indications, will want to spend the rest of his life in a marriage with her and raise a family. That is what matters.

Well, I bring up her being biracial because I am African-American and I know the struggles biracial people face here in America. I am not harping on it, I know that being biracial can be an issue for quite a few people.

Nico, what do you mean by old fashioned? Grace Kelly was an actress and did a great job in her royal role. I have no doubt Meghan will do the same, but it seems off the bat, no one seems to want to give her a chance to do so.

Why are the British so reluctant toward Meghan? I honestly don't get it. She is educated, smart, a feminist, speaks her mind, has an opinion. These are good qualities.

And I see Harry playing a crucial part in the BRF for years to come, especially as he is so popular and Meghan being biracial might make the BRF more accessible to minorities in the UK and around the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

All the hype and speculation about Meghan attending the Invictus Games didn't put Harry off showing up with her at a very public engagement. And I very much doubt it would affect when he/they decide to announce an engagement.

Thing is, no one really knows much about her. I come from a family of monarchists, my children were born in the U.K.

There seemed to be much more ‘talk’ surrounding William and Catherine but as H&M become more serious I’m sure there will be buzz.

Meghan is an unknown quantity, so it’s difficult to make an assessment of her. I personally think she needs to spend some time in the U.K.

How much did the public know about Diana before her engagement/wedding to Charles? How much did the public really know about Kate, besides what they read in the papers? That's the thing... very few really know who these women are and that only slightly changes once they start to interact with the public. So even if Meghan does spend more time in the U.K, the masses still won't know much about her unless/until she marries Harry and starts interacting with them.

In any case, I don't really think anyone can speak to what millions of other people may think of Meghan. One can only guess based on their own perceptions and I don't see the usefulness in that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom