The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Very true, but I have to say I was horrified when the DM published a picture of Meghan's house in Toronto.

There are so many crazies out there, and all it takes is one!
Terrible 'journalism'. There are much lesser known celebs who've been targeted and harmed, and this extra attention on Meghan will bring out more crazies.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
But until then, how much should the British people be able to dictate her life?
Who is "dictating her life"?

Old 09-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Who is "dictating her life"?
Obviously, they aren't successful, but there are plenty of people that feel like she should do this and that, and not do this and that right now. And there is certainly a lot of talk about her "unsuitability" under the premise that they will be paying for her. Really? the UK public can have a say in how well she conducts royal duties if they marry, but until then a lot of people need to get off their high horses.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think everyone should calm down and just let things play out. Let's not jinx the prospect of her attendance at the Invictus Games, and let's not get ahead of ourselves with the timing of an engagement announcement. We've been down this road before and putting limitations on this couple isn't good.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Obviously, they aren't successful, but there are plenty of people that feel like she should do this and that, and not do this and that right now. And there is certainly a lot of talk about her "unsuitability" under the premise that they will be paying for her. Really? the UK public can have a say in how well she conducts royal duties if they marry, but until then a lot of people need to get off their high horses.
That's royal life. If she marries into the RF, her life isn't going to be her own, and I think she certainly WANTS to.. so she'd better get used to it...
The RF are in their position as long as the British public is willing to keep them there, so they need to fit in with what that public want..
Old 09-11-2017, 11:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
That's royal life. If she marries into the RF, her life isn't going to be her own, and I think she certainly WANTS to.. so she'd better get used to it...
The RF are in their position as long as the British public is willing to keep them there, so they need to fit in with what that public want..
This statement, to me, sounds really entitled. Of course her life will be her own. Sure, there are public aspects to being married to a royal, but it's still her life. And the part about the BRF needing to fit with what the public want. To what extent? What part of their lives do the public need to control and have a say in? Atm there really isn't anything in the lives of the royals, that the public has any say in, right? Or have I missed it?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I am going to go out on a limb (and hopefully don't land on my head falling off it) and pick up on a thought that was presented in The Monarchy After Elizabeth thread by our own hel. In discussing the recent public opinion polls on how maybe Charles should step aside for William, this idea was presented.

"This is not just because William would like to spend the next 20 or 30 years with a lower profile and less official duties (although he no doubt would). It’s also because William knows that if his father gives in to rule by opinion poll, if those same opinion polls turn against William—be that in 30, 40, or 50 years time—the gig will be up, and the monarchy may well be gone."

I think this could also very well apply to how public opinion and its relationship to the marriage of Harry and Meghan would come into play. If the monarchy and the people who represent the monarchy (as Harry and Meghan most certainly would following a marriage) are controlled and manipulated by the media and public opinion, the effects could very well signal the end of the monarchy. Public opinion and particularly the media are fickle and mercurial beasts and can change as fast as the wind.

Thanks hel, once again, for a very logical and very well thought out posting well worth repeating.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
My guess is they will allow them the time to find their way much the same way they gave to Kate and William. Especially if there is a pregnancy the first year.

LaRae
I think its good Kate and William got some time but I think their absence allowed an unfair narrative that they are workshy and reluctant take afoot. M&H will need to do enough to create their narrative instead of allowing the media to create their narrative.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I get that. But she's NOT royal yet. Yet some expects her to just drop everything as if she is and just wait for the ring. As far as I'm concerned, she's made enough changes to her life to accommodate until an engagement is announced.

Additionally, while the public have a say in her public life, which is fine and fair. I think they'd have limited say on how her personal life is conducted. She is still her own person. She would adapt to certain things, but certainly she should be able to maintain certain aspects of her personal life.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
This statement, to me, sounds really entitled. Of course her life will be her own. Sure, there are public aspects to being married to a royal, but it's still her life. And the part about the BRF needing to fit with what the public want. To what extent? What part of their lives do the public need to control and have a say in? Atm there really isn't anything in the lives of the royals, that the public has any say in, right? Or have I missed it?
She can have her life BUT she needs to make sure the narrative is primarily being of service to the BRF and the people.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
I think its good Kate and William got some time but I think their absence allowed an unfair narrative that they are workshy and reluctant take afoot. M&H will need to do enough to create their narrative instead of allowing the media to create their narrative.
I always thought that was quite dumb to criticize the younger generations they way they have. They needed to be given time to adjust to their life as working royals. Especially in the beginning, when they are starting projects. We don't necessarily see the fruits of those labor right away. And as parents, I'm sure Kate and William wanted to spend more time with their children when they are young. It's not the same as the Wessaxes in a sense that the Wessax children are school aged.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I always thought that was quite dumb to criticize the younger generations they way they have. They needed to be given time to adjust to their life as working royals. Especially in the beginning, when they are starting projects. We don't necessarily see the fruits of those labor right away. And as parents, I'm sure Kate and William wanted to spend more time with their children when they are young. It's not the same as the Wessaxes in a sense that the Wessax children are school aged.
I agree also but the media is another thing. They have attached the narrative that W&K are workshy as unfair as it is that was how they presented them. I think M&H will need to be visible enough to create their own narrative instead of totally being absent which gives the media the opportunity to create the media more sensational narrative. They need to be seen in moderation and not be absent.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:49 PM
Royal Highness

Meghan is intelligent enough to have graduated with a double major degree, and clever enough to have been very successful in both her fields of interest. She has been wise enough to keep her reputation pretty spotless, and charming enough to retain a high class of successful friends.

And.. she has been attractive and dignified and warm enough to have engaged the attention of 'the most eligible bachelor in the world', who has been seeking a woman with those qualities.

So, if she has all those wonderful qualities and qualifications, why should there be any doubt that she can fill the position which she is considering- and for which she is being considered?

She's smart, hard-working, ambitious, and thoughtful.

No one can predict how a marriage will work out. But she is more than well-suited for the requirements of the job.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-11-2017, 01:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Meghan is intelligent enough to have graduated with a double major degree, and clever enough to have been very successful in both her fields of interest. She has been wise enough to keep her reputation pretty spotless, and charming enough to retain a high class of successful friends.

And.. she has been attractive and dignified and warm enough to have engaged the attention of 'the most eligible bachelor in the world', who has been seeking a woman with those qualities.

So, if she has all those wonderful qualities and qualifications, why should there be any doubt that she can fill the position which she is considering- and for which she is being considered?

No one can predict how a marriage will work out. But she is more than well-suited for the requirements of the job.
I said it before, the young lady is accomplished in her own right, and people just have to understand that. She has worked hard for everything she have and she's pretty secure within herself. She's able to take on challenges and, I'm sure, she will be able to handle royal life.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Thank you for this post! I think that Meghan will be a great addition to the RF. For me, Harry is the lucky one for having her as his girlfriend.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Totally agree with you, in fact Whatever man gets this woman to be his wife had better be *worthy* of her for she in her own right is a very accomplished woman and not an air head by any stretch of the means.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
My guess is they will work together on various charities, some of which they already have in common. Of course they only do whatever official engagements requested by the Queen. There's only so much to go around.

Also...Harry/Meghan don't hold the same position as Kate/William.

LaRae
Old 09-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Facts about Harry and Meghan-
Will Harry meet Meghan in Toronto? - ITV News

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShades View Post
I agree with this view only because of today's climate to do with the financial crisis, austerity etc. No point in unnecessarily getting people riled and certainly not the mean-spirited amongst us. In particular, the media that have been ripping Meghan to shreds since day dot.

And yet Andrew, Margaret and Anne were no more 'future heirs' at that time than Harry is today but had their nuptials at WA...hmmm. Inconsequential to me personally and I've said before that an intimate royal 'grand but not too grand' wedding would seem more suited to H&M's personas. Nothing to do with Harry being an immediate direct heir or not.
I think in looking at past royal weddings, the status of the royals getting married, the financial climate and such is well and good but when it all boils down to planning this royal wedding (if its ever announced that they are engaged), the biggest and most major deciding factor most likely will be none of the above but primarily a focus on security. Security for the royals, security for the invited guest and security for the masses that would gather to watch the pomp and pageantry. Security, to me, has to be the first and foremost consideration when putting all this together.

Too much has happened in the UK recently for it not to be.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Security, to me, has to be the first and foremost consideration when putting all this together.

Too much has happened in the UK recently for it not to be.
You're right, that has to be an issue.

Yet, a big London wedding at the Abbey would definitely have more impact on tourism than would a more low-key affair at St. George's.
It would probably mean a difference of millions for the ecconomy!