The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

Harry is not Edward. The comparison between the two begins and ends with them being the youngest son of a monarch/heir and even that isn't all that significant when we consider that the heir to the throne only has two children. So I will never understand making any reference to Edward in regards to what Harry will or won't get or how big of a role he may play in the future.

The fact that Harry is Diana's son, the fact that he is just as (if not more) popular as William, the fact that he may marry an American (a biracial American at that) all make this a very unique situation. And I believe all that will be considered in deciding where his future wedding will take place.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Nobility

As far as closed carriages versus open carriages--except for Princess Margaret, the closed carriages from the wedding to BP were for November weddings. A little chilly for an open carriage.
All the brides except Kate and the Queen rode in the Glass Coach to the ceremony. Princess Elizabeth and her father rode in the Irish State Coach

Queen--November
Margaret--May
Anne-November
Charles-July
Andrew--July
William--April

Old 09-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Nobility

Yea, I don't think the coach is coming out for this one.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Nobility

One thing we all to take into consideration is that this is likely the last wedding of a senior royal until George marries. That's a LONG time. By the time Edward married, the boys were already teenagers. It wouldn't have been out of the world to think one of them will marry within 10 years. They obviously waited longer than that, but still at 15 and 17, it was possible there could be a wedding in just another few years.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Harry and Meghan will get married where they want to, be that WA, St. Paul's, St. George's, or a registry office. If they get married at WA, I think it'll be similar in size to William and Catherine's wedding. While Harry is popular, and his marriage to a biracial American woman will be noteworthy, he's sixth in line to the throne, so he's not getting anything larger than his brother got, or frankly, that his uncles got when they got married.

I don't necessarily think the size/location of their hypothetical wedding will hinge on their individual personalities as much as it will England's economic situation at the time and what else might be going on —*an election, a terrorist attack, etc. The taxpayers have to pay for this, at least part of it, and if things are tight and the economy stinks, they're not going to want to shell out for some huge to-do.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
Old 09-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
The fact that Harry is Diana's son, the fact that he is just as (if not more) popular as William, the fact that he may marry an American (a biracial American at that) all make this a very unique situation. And I believe all that will be considered in deciding where his future wedding will take place.
What is so unique about being American? Is it being not-British, not being from a Commonwealth country or specifically being American? Honestly, I don't see the issue. Most monarchies have spouses from other countries among their ranks: for example, queen Silvia, queen Máxima, crown princess Mary, the heriditary grand duchess (and princess Claire) of Luxembourg, the princess of Monaco, princess Angela of Liechtenstein (also American; and for those concerned about her being biracial (something I do not understand at all); she is African American and married the second son of the Sovereign Prince), to name just a few.

And this is not limited to other monarchies: the Queen married a Greek, the (now) duke of Gloucester a Dane, his eldest daughter a Maori, Peter a Canadian (both are of course from Commonwealth nations), prince Michael of Kent a (divorced) 'Silesian', etc.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
What is so unique about being American? Is it being not-British, not being from a Commonwealth country or specifically being American? Honestly, I don't see the issue. Most monarchies have spouses from other countries among their ranks: for example, queen Silvia, queen Máxima, crown princess Mary, the heriditary grand duchess (and princess Claire) of Luxembourg, the princess of Monaco, princess Angela of Liechtenstein (also American; and for those concerned about her being biracial (something I do not understand at all); she is African American and married the second son of the Sovereign Prince), to name just a few.

And this is not limited to other monarchies: the Queen married a Greek, the (now) duke of Gloucester a Dane, his eldest daughter a Maori, Peter a Canadian (both are of course from Commonwealth nations), prince Michael of Kent a Hungarian, etc.
From a diplomacy stand point, it matters to Americans. And yes, I understand we are Americans, and this is the British royals. However, Britain is in a precarious situation with Brexit. Diplomacy matters, and public perception matters. It could turn really good or really ugly here with this wedding. The good being we now have a home grown princess in the British royal family, and we'll always see her as one of our own. Or ugly if we feel our American princess was slighted. And the media here will go overboard with this wedding.

As for the continental royals, I have to agree with others who have stated before the British royals are different from them in terms how well we know the members. I, for one, wouldn't be able to name a lot of them other than the monarchs, with the exception of Monaco. They are the children/grandchildren of Princess Grace, after all.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent

There only thing unique is that it's only the second time a member of the BRF would marry an American....past that Americans have been married into the British Nobility (and other countries Nobility) for decades and decades.

I think it's a bigger deal to the media than to anyone else.

LaRae
Old 09-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
From a diplomacy stand point, it matters to Americans. And yes, I understand we are Americans, and this is the British royals. However, Britain is in a precarious situation with Brexit. Diplomacy matters, and public perception matters. It could turn really good or really ugly here with this wedding. The good being we now have a home grown princess in the British royal family, and we'll always see her as one of our own. Or ugly if we feel our American princess was slighted. And the media here will go overboard with this wedding.

As for the continental royals, I have to agree with others who have stated before the British royals are different from them in terms how well we know the members.
As long as they have a nice wedding with some of the bells & whistles of a royal wedding, I really don't think it will matter. I hardly think if they do not have a huge wedding in WA with the Glass coach, etc etc it s going to cause a diplomatic incident.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

No CEO of an American company is going to decide whether or not to do business in the U.K. based on how Meghan Markle is treated.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
As long as they have a nice wedding with some of the bells & whistles of a royal wedding, I really don't think it will matter. I hardly think if they do not have a huge wedding in WA with the Glass coach, etc etc it s going to cause a diplomatic incident.
I don't think there will be the glass coach. I also don't think it'll be as big as William's. However, the comparisons will be there with WA and St. George's. Then the media is going to start the Queen/ royal family doesn't approve crap even though I highly doubt that. Some of those rhetoric has already started this week in the British publications.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I think Harry and Meghan will get married where they want to, be that WA, St. Paul's, St. George's, or a registry office. If they get married at WA, I think it'll be similar in size to William and Catherine's wedding. While Harry is popular, and his marriage to a biracial American woman will be noteworthy, he's sixth in line to the throne, so he's not getting anything larger than his brother got, or frankly, that his uncles got when they got married.

I don't necessarily think the size/location of their hypothetical wedding will hinge on their individual personalities as much as it will England's economic situation at the time and what else might be going on —*an election, a terrorist attack, etc. The taxpayers have to pay for this, at least part of it, and if things are tight and the economy stinks, they're not going to want to shell out for some huge to-do.
I don't think most are expecting Harry to get a bigger wedding than William. I think it's safe to say that there is zero chance of him marrying at St Paul's. But the Abbey is definitely a possibility, for reasons already mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post

And this is not limited to other monarchies: the Queen married a Greek, the (now) duke of Gloucester a Dane, his eldest daughter a Maori, Peter a Canadian (both are of course from Commonwealth nations), prince Michael of Kent a (divorced) 'Silesian', etc.
Well to be clear, I wasn't saying there was anything particularly unique about being American. But it's been 80 years since a senior member of the BRF married an American and this time, such a union wouldn't require abdication so I'd say this is pretty unique, especially with Meghan being mixed race.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
No CEO of an American company is going to decide whether or not to do business in the U.K. based on how Meghan Markle is treated.
Of course not, but politics come into play on various issues. Public perceptions has a big impact on that. And unfortunately, a lot of times public perception is over stupid and superficial things.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
I don't think most are expecting Harry to get a bigger wedding than William. I think it's safe to say that there is zero chance of him marrying at St Paul's. But the Abbey is definitely a possibility, for reasons already mentioned.

Well to be clear, I wasn't saying there was anything particularly unique about being American. But it's been 80 years since a senior member of the BRF married an American and this time, such a union wouldn't require abdication so I'd say this is pretty unique, especially with Meghan being mixed race.
Yes. The media will report on the wedding. Additionally, the reporting will include how times have changed since the last American married a member of the BRF. How the royals have modernized and so on. It'll be made into a great romance story in the media.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

Being an American was not the problem for Wallis, it was the two living ex husbands that were the problems. Many British aristocrats married Americans and their money. Winston Churchill's mother was American.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Should Harry marry Meghan, I think there will be some serious dancing being done on both sides of the pond. This marriage will most likely cement and ensure that the mood of the people gear towards the very long, very friendly relationship that exists between the UK and the US. Talk about soft diplomacy! I love it.

Now a question. What would be the harm in Meghan having dual citizenship? A citizen of the UK and the US. Now that is putting her Bachelor of Arts degree in international studies to very good use if you ask me.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Being an American was not the problem for Wallis, it was the two living ex husbands that were the problems. Many British aristocrats married Americans and their money. Winston Churchill's mother was American.
Again, we are talking about marrying in BRF, it's different than nobility. Americans marrying nobility hardly gets a mention in the media here. And yes, we are aware of Wallis Simpson's problem is being her two living ex-husbands, which will make this even more of a romantic tale here. It's not reasonable, it's entirely emotional.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Should Harry marry Meghan, I think there will be some serious dancing being done on both sides of the pond. This marriage will most likely cement and ensure that the mood of the people gear towards the very long, very friendly relationship that exists between the UK and the US. Talk about soft diplomacy! I love it.

Now a question. What would be the harm in Meghan having dual citizenship? A citizen of the UK and the US. Now that is putting her Bachelor of Arts degree in international studies to very good use if you ask me.
The US obviously wouldn't have a problem with it. Problem would be in UK. I honestly don't know how they'll handle this one.

One practical thing though, it'd be a headache from a tax return perspective for her if she is dual citizen. She'd still be required to file a US return even if she doesn't spend anytime here during the year.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Commoner

Quote:

As for the continental royals, I have to agree with others who have stated before the British royals are different from them in terms how well we know the members. I, for one, wouldn't be able to name a lot of them other than the monarchs, with the exception of Monaco. They are the children/grandchildren of Princess Grace, after all.
I get that it is special from an American point of view (although I don't see a lot of fiplomatic consequences; if anything it might slightly strengthen the bonds); just as it is special for the Australians that 'one of their own' married the future king of Denmark and for the Argentinians that the Netherlands has an 'Argentinian' queen. I do not see why it would be that special from a British point of view.

And yes, the British royal family is very well known all over the world, so that makes it a little different, but I don't see the Greeks (or the rest of the world) fuzzing over the queen's husband being a former Greek prince... (although I am sure there was some fuzz at that time; his sisters being married to Germans was probably more of a concern).
Old 09-10-2017, 08:07 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
The US obviously wouldn't have a problem with it. Problem would be in UK. I honestly don't know how they'll handle this one.

One practical thing though, it'd be a headache from a tax return perspective for her if she is dual citizen. She'd still be required to file a US return even if she doesn't spend anytime here during the year.
Like all changes, people adapt to things. As far as the tax thing, she probably already has to do that with filing in both Canada and the US. I just think its maybe a doable option for her but we'll see as time goes by. What do I know? I'm just asking questions.