Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Things are changing but Britain is still class obsessed (especially the tabloids) Meghan and her family will have to get used to it as will the people in America who support her.

Harry no doubt is preparing Meghan on what is to come.

That settles it. I am going to stick to praising Meghan's beauty and glamour and adorable doggies, guessing about how they spent their time on holiday, observing how happy Harry looks, speculating about which tiaras she will be permitted by HM to wear and offering my giddy opinions on possible venues for the wedding if I come here at all.

It's the safe thing to do.:cool: I won't be a party the the "harassment" of Harry's lady love or her family.

Not me, no way!

So a Spring or early Summer Wedding?

LaRae

Hmmm so it probably won't be April (W&K married in April) ...so I vote May.

LaRae

Will the engagement announcement be this year?

Hmmm so it probably won't be April (W&K married in April) ...so I vote May.

LaRae

Me too! My wedding anniversary is in May, so I'm partial. But it is a lovely month for a wedding and IF they announce an engagement after Suits is finished filming, that gives enough time to plan it.

The announcement will be tricky ...might be after the first of the year.

Sept is the Invictus Games...then it's already been announced W&K&H all have an increased schedule including trips out of the country starting Sept/Oct. Then the Queens big wedding anniversary is in November....so...they don't want to overshadow that.

They could do December...but might be Jan. Either way if they announce I look for a short engagement.

My wedding anniversary is in May too!

LaRae

Last edited:
Will the engagement announcement be this year?

We have no clue! Everybody have to wait for the couple and Kensington Palace to make that announcement.

I think we should also consider an engagement of Jack and Eugenie. If they announce an engagement, I don't think Harry would want to overshadow that. In my opinion, I think he would wait until after Eugenie's wedding to announce anything.

I think we should also consider an engagement of Jack and Eugenie. If they announce an engagement, I don't think Harry would want to overshadow that. In my opinion, I think he would wait until after Eugenie's wedding to announce anything.

Wouldn't the other way around be more likely? Harry and Meghan are probably more in a hurry (because of age), so maybe Jack and Eugenie are happy to wait a little longer. So far, they haven't been in a rush.. And if they would announce their engagement after Harry and Meghan (which would be smart if they want to reduce media attention), Jack could even join his fiancée at the wedding before having their own a little while later...

Zara and Mike announced their engagement just two months after William and Catherine so I'm not sure either Harry or Eugenie will take their cousin's announcement into account.

Every month there can be some type of important event or someone's birthday or anniversary or holiday, one would hope that life doesn't have to stand still for anyone just because of it.

Zara and Mike announced their engagement just two months after William and Catherine so I'm not sure either Harry or Eugenie will take their cousin's announcement into account.

Eugenie doesn't seem that interested in the limelight & if she announced just after Harry (as Zara did just after William) she'd avoid a lot of attention as it would naturally be directed at her cousin, so if Eugenie and Jack are planning on marriage I wouldn't be surprised if they announced near in time to Harry, assuming, of course, that Harry and Meghan are as serious as we suspect.

Why do some Brits think Americans "froth at the mouth" about Royalty, much less Harry and Meghan??!:lol:

I can assure anyone who believes this that you are wildly off the mark. Only the handful of Americans on online Royal boards even know or care who Harry dates.

We comprise only a very, very tiny fraction of the population I assure you!:cool:

MAYBE .01 percent of the population...and that might be over estimated! LOL

In my circle of friends/family in real life...I am the only person who cares anything about any royal families. 1 or 2 of them actually even know the names of the major figures ..and they won't even know all the main members of BRF royal family.

On my online groups (not on FB) I know of 1 other American who knows....on FB a few more but they are Europeans.

True. And anyway @Pranter, wasn't your first reference to not having yet seen anyone "foaming at the mouth," in direct response to my comment regarding people taking exception to Meghan's background in some quarters? And I responded by saying there are plenty of 'crazies foaming at the mouth' on Internet sites and on the comment sections of tabloid made-up & rehashed reports about H&M's romance.

The 'crazies foaming at the mouth' are not specific to any one country in the world, by the way. There are plenty of people with goodwill toward H&M all over the world, just as there are a percentage of 'crazies' many of whom are just jealous, all over the world. Antiquated views and/or jealousy toward Harry & Meghan being happy together can not be attributed to any specific national or ethnic group! There are all kinds of people with all kinds of different characters, upbringings and perceptions based on ignorance and/or prejudice. Just as there are likely overwhelmingly many many people of wonderful character who would hold goodwill toward any young couple in love regardless of the couple's backgrounds or status in life.

Last edited:
has certainly offered the royal family a chance to heal on many levels

How MARVELLOUS that a 'universal panacea' has presented herself in this way !

Do you not think that 'loading expectations' on anyone might be a bad idea, given the demands made upon the late Princess of Wales, by an enraptured and 'starry eyed' public ?

How MARVELLOUS that a 'universal panacea' has presented herself in this way !

Do you not think that 'loading expectations' on anyone might be a bad idea, given the demands made upon the late Princess of Wales, by an enraptured and 'starry eyed' public ?

It's not about Meghan herself, but about the emotions that are being raised by her dating Prince Harry. And it's about the larger issues generated by her background, which once again she is not precipitating nor generating in anyway herself. She is simply being herself and privately sharing in a low profile relationship with a high profile member of the British royal family.

Your perceiving what I said in a negative, prejudicial manner nets you misunderstanding and misinterpretation.

There are a number of variant emotions operating on a number of levels regarding H&M's relationship among the current fairly small percentage of royal followers, royal journalists and gossipmongers who are reacting to and commenting on it. I just think it might be helpful for us all to individually reflect upon our emotions and motivations and maybe stop over-projecting or mindlessly arguing without learning anything. I know that I am learning some things about myself and about cultural attitudes, and as well new things about the royals that I didn't know before that have enhanced my understanding of royal life. I don't specifically attribute all that I have learned directly to Ms. Markle, but I do think she's a positive role model.

Also, I'm not putting expectations about 'universal healing' directly on Meghan personally. The 'Diana-like hounding' and harassment by the press will in no way be tolerated by Prince Harry or the royal family. And frankly, I do not expect H&M to become more open with their private relationship, even should they marry. If they do marry, they will surely (not unlike Will & Kate) do everything they can to continue conducting a low-profile private life while engaging in public duties dutifully in as low-key a way as possible. And I expect H&M to devote a lot of positive energy and effort to their humanitarian projects, as well.

Last edited:
Meghan Markle has a long way to go for Britons to be 'enraptured' with her

Well, I don't think that any of this matters to Harry. He just wants to be happy. Marrying for love, not convenience, is what he has always wanted. Harry is well aware of the excruciating pain, a loveless marriage brought to his late mother. I wish him well.

Yeah I don't think I'd be basing relationship decisions on whether or not Britons are 'enraptured' with my girlfriend/boyfriend....Harry is the one that has to live with and build a life with that other person, not the public or the courtiers.

LaRae

Yeah I don't think I'd be basing relationship decisions on whether or not Britons are 'enraptured' with my girlfriend/boyfriend....Harry is the one that has to live with and build a life with that other person, not the public or the courtiers.

Yep, what has 'enraptured Britons' got to do wid it? Got to do wid it!? :lol:

There's no accounting for misinterpretations and exaggerations, as well as deflections and projections. ?

Harry's personal relationship, as he already said is about 'his life and hers.' He cares about other people, but that's beside-the-point in who he chooses to date and to marry.

I was only referencing people's attitudes generally/ culturally, and I was also referencing the royals in the sense that merely by happenstance and serendipity, a young prince who has fallen in love won't have to be dissuaded or prevented from marrying the person he loves due to antiquated notions, prejudice, or disapproval by anyone, certainly not by opiners on an Internet forum. :D

Last edited:
when Harry marries, everyone wants it to be because he and his wife love each other.

However, Rudolph has a point when he talks about the UK population accepting his wife. And they have good reason. She is going to represent them and they are going to pay for her. So their expectations will be high. And unfair though it may seem, she has a high hurdle to jump if she isnt British.

Dont come after me for saying that or that it isnt fair (Ive already said that myself). Life isnt fair and people's expectations will be high.

What is important is that H doesnt say "dont worry it will all be fine". His future wife needs to understand just how difficult it can be and have the support. Which I think he will ensure.

But as it stands, H has a girlfriend and thats it.

I'll wait and see.

Harry has found his 'Clair Huxtable' and think the British people will come to really like her when they get a chance to know her. That's the real key, the people getting a chance to know her more better. Right now, Meghan, is Harry's girlfriend and she hasn't been properly introduced to the British people yet.

Everyone has to keep this in mind.

^ Who is she ?

We already know some many facts about her life, profession and outside work. If things become official, the British people will get a chance to know her more personally.

It's the same process the British people and media went through with Catherine, Sophie, Camilla, Diana and Sarah. It only really happens once things become more official.

Meghan comes with an advantage because she already have a public presence in her own right, so there's not much of a mystery about her. Her coming in contact with the British people and media offers more though.

Last edited:
I meant who is Claire Huxtable !

I meant who is Claire Huxtable !

The smart and beautiful lawyer wife and mother from the 1980's American tv show 'The Cosby Show.' Played by actress, Phylicia Rashad.

Meghan Markle reminds me of her. For many men, 'Clair Huxtable', was the dream wife and mom.

... Rudolph has a point when he talks about the UK population accepting his wife. And they have good reason. She is going to represent them and they are going to pay for her. So their expectations will be high. And unfair though it may seem, she has a high hurdle to jump if she isnt British.

Dont come after me for saying that or that it isnt fair (Ive already said that myself). Life isnt fair and people's expectations will be high.

What is important is that H doesnt say "dont worry it will all be fine". His future wife needs to understand just how difficult it can be and have the support. Which I think he will ensure.

But as it stands, H has a girlfriend and thats it. I'll wait and see.

:previous:

Hmmm, more projecting it seems about whether or not Meghan is up to the task of becoming royal? It's been discussed before, and the DF's constant snide coverage, along with some royal journalists claiming her relationship with Harry is only 'a fling,' points up once again some of the negative, prejudicial attitudes.

Sure it's a high profile role that brings with it a lot of extra baggage quite aside from a regular marriage. However, I would say that Prince Harry is more than aware of this himself and that's a big reason why he's even commented before meeting Meghan that he hoped to find someone 'willing to take him on.' And that he desired to be able to conduct a relationship as privately as possible so he could get to know that person out of the public eye as much as possible.

Harry knows that the prospect of dating and marrying him brings a lot of extra, unpleasant headaches. He's already lived through such miseries and intrusiveness experienced by his former girlfriends. It seems to me that Harry was thus prepared when he did meet Meghan and became serious about her. He was prepared to protect her and to protect their privacy by going under the radar quietly. Kudos to Harry and to Meghan that they were able to keep their relationship under wraps for at least 3 to 4 months before it all blew up. The press intrusion upon Meghan and her family, and the snide gossip became too much for Harry to stomach. He put out the statement to the press with the full backing of his family and Buckingham Palace. Oh, but little does the DF and many observers seem to learn anything.

Prince Harry and Meghan will do as they please regarding the evolving course and pace of their relationship. As far as Meghan's readiness for all that the role of wife to Prince Harry will entail, she's more ready than any of Prince Harry's previous girlfriends.

The following assets and advantages Meghan possesses have been highlighted before in articles, and mentioned by some royal commenters: Meghan seems ideally suited to the public role that life as a royal wife would involve as, 1) she's an actor used to dealing with the media and appearing in public at all kinds of events and ceremonies; 2) she has a degree in international relations; 3) she's worked with diplomats at the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina; 4) she's worked on humanitarian projects with the U.N.; 5) she gave a very articulate and accomplished speech to the U.N. in connection with her volunteer work with U.N. Women and One World Vision; 6) she's got a great deal of style, panache, class and taste. All of this is substantial preparedness for marrying into the royal firm, regardless of any negative views of Meghan held by anyone.

If Meghan was skittish about the demands, public over-interest and the tabloid intrusiveness generated by dating a royal, her relationship with Harry would not have continued for as long as it has already. More than likely, and it has been mentioned in some news reports, Meghan has been receiving advice and tutelage from Harry's royal staffers and closest advisers on matters of royal protocol and the ins-and-outs of what would be expected of her. Kate definitely was taken under the wing of mentors and royal courtiers before she married William. Both Kate and Meghan will have received much more prepping and information about matters of royal life prior to marriage than Diana ever received. But then Diana's trial-by-fire was the touchstone that changed a great deal.

Last edited:
It wouldn't matter if Meghan was a rocket scientist, she will be judged in Britain on how she carries herself as a royal.

The majority of royal work isn't glamorous. Meghan will be trading red carpets for planting trees and unveiling plaques.

I've said this before but it needs repeating, Meghan will have to adopt to the BRF way of doing things, not the other way around.

Please note that posts regarding Megan's mother at the laundry mat have been deleted as off topic {over 50 posts!}. Let's stay on topic...the actual relationship of Harry and Megan.

If you have any additional questions and/or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact a British moderator.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom