The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think they stay at Balmoral until sometime in October if my one brain cell is working today.

Personally, I don't see any announcement made until Meghan's contract with Suits is completed. Best to clear up any commitments before making another one.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Wasn't Prince Nicolas of Sweden born only a few days after CP's and Sofia's wedding ? Princess Madeleine attended the wedding ceremony though.
Two days. The wedding was June 13, Nicolas born on the 15th.

I don't see any reason to believe they would wait to announce an engagement before the baby is born. That seems ridiculous. Wedding perhaps, but engagement? Royal weddings take months to plan. If they announce an engagement at Christmas lets say, the wedding could easily be early summer after baby Cambridge is born.

Any announcement before November also seems highly unlikely. When the announcement is made, Meghan will be expected to be in London. She will be expected to be making appearances and wedding plans. Suits doesn't stop filming until late November.

IMO the earliest we will see is December or January announcement. After she is done filming and after the big anniversary. Perhaps January so she has some time to be living in London with him and be seen by the public.

I do think we will see her at Invictus, but not at official events. Until she is at least engaged, that wouldn't be considered appropriate.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Given the different perceptions of the interview, I thought an analysis might be helpful. So, what is the interview really about:

18% - Introduction/closing and author's interaction with and impression of Meghan (a lot about where she lives; (being a) food(ie) - includes quotes from Meghan
15% - About Suits and acting in general
13% - About Meghan's childhood/family - includes previous writings from Meghan and quotes from the VF interview
11% - About prince Harry (who is he? No comments from Meghan)
8% - About begin mixed-race - quote references her freckles (other than that recycled material)
8% - About what the royal family might think
7% - about dealing with the media (because of relationship with her boyfriend - she never calls him Harry!) - includes quotes from Meghan
6% - Friends about Meghan
5% - About her relationship with Harry - includes quotes from Meghan
4% - About developing social awareness and philanthropy - includes quotes from Meghan
4% - About how others (especially the media) react to their relationship (including criticism)
Thanks for such an exhaustive breakdown, Somebody. I'd gone through and got the 5% about her relationship with Harry, but didn't have the patience to break down the rest.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:57 PM
Nobility

I'm thinking the announcement will come after she's completely done with her contract with suits, my bets are in December. I'm still firmly thinking, that they're privately engaged though.

These articles coming out today, IMHO, are so vastly different, than the ones that came out after the VF interview, and I think it's no coincidence. I think the British press got some sort of briefing, most likely about IG, and some ran with it, and added their own spin, like DM.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Aristocracy

I agree that an announcement before Christmas seem most likely, as it does allow them to spend the holidays together and I can that being important to them. And yes, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they are already engaged. If so, they have probably started to do some planning, in terms of an announcement and all that comes with it.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
How Meghan will appear with Harry 'ahead of engagement' | Daily Mail Online

If true about Westminster Abbey; St George's Chapel will likely be the only option.

Which is rather a shame, as there will be no balcony appearance or carriage drive through the London streets. And of course Windsor will only hold limited number of people, so no thrill of the large London crowds. The bride leaving Clarence House in the Glass Coach, I expect for St George's it will be a Car.

I always felt let down when Sophie and Edward made their short carriage drive around Windsor; it just felt so grey and dismal.

I thought the best bit of Sophia and Carl Philip's wedding, was their long drive around Stockholm, and the cheering crowds.

I still can't see why it can't be Westminster Abbey?

Maybe Harry has no problem with St George's, but I'm sure he would also have loved the Abbey.
I thought it had already been announced somewhere that they can get married in Westminister Abbey, or did I dream this up?
Old 09-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I thought it had already been announced somewhere that they can get married in Westminister Abbey, or did I dream this up?
It wasn't announced they could exactly. In an article in May, the Daily Mail wrote that the Church of England (no other attrribution) said they could marry in the Abbey as divorced persons could since 2002.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes they're allowed to marry in the CoE, doesn't mean they will be allowed to marry in Westminster Abbey.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Yes they're allowed to marry in the CoE, doesn't mean they will be allowed to marry in Westminster Abbey.
This is very true. Westminster Abbey is what is termed as a "royal peculiar" A royal peculiar is "a Church of England parish or church exempt from the jurisdiction of the diocese in which it lies and subject to the direct jurisdiction of the monarch.

With this being said, in order for Harry and Meghan to marry in Westminster Abbey, they would need the permission of the Queen and also the Archbishop of Canterbury.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...-abbey-wedding
Old 09-10-2017, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

It's up to individual ministers to agree to perform a marriage involving a divorcee.

Westminster Abbey is a very symbolic church. I think Windsor is more suitable for the 6th in line marrying a divorced woman.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Majesty

The thing is, that possibly in the eyes of the CoE (or church), Meghan has never been married.

I'm personally holding out for St. George's Chapel at Windsor myself. It just seems to "fit" Harry and Meghan's personalities as I see them than a more formal Westminster Abbey wedding.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Heir Apparent

From what I understand, the CoE recognises civil unions meaning it would recognise civil divorce.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Well in May 2017, the DM asked the officials of Westminster Abbey if there would be a bar to any marriage of divorcees and Catholics marrying there in the Abbey and the spokesman said no.

And what any of us think about locations doesn't matter. It will be up to the bride, groom and the Queen.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...tminster-Abbey
Old 09-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Well in May 2017, the DM asked the officials of Westminster Abbey if there would be a bar to any marriage of divorcees and Catholics marrying there in the Abbey and the spokesman said no.

And what any of us think about locations doesn't matter. It will be up to the bride, groom and the Queen.
I think one fact that has to be cleared here is DM did NOT break that story. It was lifted from Sunday Express. Specifically from Camilla Tominey. I believe that was an exclusive from her, and then others ran with it once that piece was published.

Obviously the point here is credibility matters.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It's up to individual ministers to agree to perform a marriage involving a divorcee.

Westminster Abbey is a very symbolic church. I think Windsor is more suitable for the 6th in line marrying a divorced woman.
They may not marry at WA but I don't think "suitability" is going to be the determining factor. Also, lets remember that Harry is one of only two sons of the heir to the throne, is very popular, has quite a few high profile connections/relationships (Barack and Michelle Obama, for example) and would be marrying an American which brings even more curiosity and interest. So there's a strong case to be made for an Abbey wedding. If they marry elsewhere, I'm inclined to believe it's because they desire a smaller, more intimate wedding.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

There is no impediment as long the minister agrees to the wedding. We'll have to wait and see but Windsor seems a natural fit for Harry and Meghan
Old 09-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really hope this engagement happens soon- this would be such a fun and special wedding to watch. I'm hoping for an announcement in early December, right after she finishes filming Suits.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Just an odd note too about where they marry. Its my understanding too that in "the eyes of God" and the church, if a person has never been married in church, "in the eyes of God", they've never been married according to religious beliefs and church tenets. That's why some royal couples have had both civil and religious weddings. With Charles and Camilla, it was a civil ceremony and a blessing in the CoE to make it legit in the CoE.
You must be misinformed. Marriage is considered a sacrament in the Roman Catholic Church, but not in the Anglican Church (nor in other protestant churches; orthodox churches, however, follow the Roman Catholic reasoning). This also means that the Anglican Church recognizes each and every civil marriage independent of whether the ceremony was a combined civil/religious service (as most common in England), a civil wedding with a blessing of the marriage ceremony afterwards - which typically also includes vows (uncommon in England, but common in many parts of the worlds where a civil wedding needs to take place before the religious ceremony) or only a civil wedding with no religious ceremony. So, Meghan is considered to have been married and now divorced by the Church of England.

In this respect, her situation is different from Queen Letizia who only had a civil wedding and divorce (not recognized as a holy matrimony in the eyes of the Roman Catholic Church) and therefore, was not considered a divorcee in the eyes of the church: no annulment (another difference between Roman Catholics and Anglicans) was necessary for her to marry the prince of Asturias in the Roman Catholic Church.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Majesty

Thanks for the correction on that. I was going by what I knew from the Roman Catholic church.

(walks away with pen and paper in hand checking off "learn something new today")
Old 09-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
How Meghan will appear with Harry 'ahead of engagement' | Daily Mail Online

If true about Westminster Abbey; St George's Chapel will likely be the only option.

Which is rather a shame, as there will be no balcony appearance or carriage drive through the London streets. And of course Windsor will only hold limited number of people, so no thrill of the large London crowds. The bride leaving Clarence House in the Glass Coach, I expect for St George's it will be a Car.

I always felt let down when Sophie and Edward made their short carriage drive around Windsor; it just felt so grey and dismal.

I thought the best bit of Sophia and Carl Philip's wedding, was their long drive around Stockholm, and the cheering crowds.

I still can't see why it can't be Westminster Abbey?

Maybe Harry has no problem with St George's, but I'm sure he would also have loved the Abbey.
That didn't happen to Kate (married the future heir), and therefore it wont happen to Meghan either.

Some facts and thoughts from me again:

Former Royal Weddings:

Princess Elizabeth 1947: To and from Westminster Abbey in closed carriages and appearance on the balcony.

Margaret 1960: To and from Westminster Abbey in closed carriages and appearance on the balcony. (That had not happened today, I think)

Anne 1973: To and from Westminster Abbey in closed carriages and appearance on the balcony. (That had not happened today, I think)

Charles 1981: To and from St Paul's Cathedral in open carriages and appearance on the balcony.

Andrew 1986: To and from Westminster Abbey in open carriages and appearance on the balcony. (That had not happened today, I think)

Edward 1999: A televised Royal Wedding at St George's Chapel with a carriage procession in Windsor. Why? Because there was no appetite for a big Abbey wedding after the wars of Waleses, the divorces, the Diana craziness and her tragic death.

William 2011: A scaled-down wedding in comparison with the Abbey weddings mentioned above. Why? Due to the financial crisis.

To Westminster Abbey in cars and back to the palace in open carriages for William/Kate and the bridal party, and closed carriages for the Queen/Philip, Charles/Camilla and Kate's parents and appearance on the balcony.

A possible wedding for Harry:

The monarchy is as popular as ever with record high support in several polls since 2002, some of over 80%, but we live in a different era with a more critical press than we did in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

And remember: William is the eldest son of the heir, and he was as popular as Harry (if not even more) when he married, and there were still complaining from media and other people about the costs etc.

I'll therefor be very surprised if he gets a Abbey wedding with a carriage procession and a balcony apperance.

I think we'll see much of the same as we saw for Edward in 1999, A Televised Royal Wedding at St George's Chapel with a carriage procession in Windsor.

And I don't think it has anything to do with Harry and Meghan wanting an intimate wedding. It has more to do with him not being the future heir.