The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 10:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
At some point, they are going to throw them a bone. I think they'd prefer that bone to be a joint interview moreso than just MM? It's a fine line to walk with rewarding and punishing. I do the outside consultants at my job. It's an interesting relationship. I highly doubt they'll completely alienate them, but it's a warning. I think they can all take a cue from Camilla Tominey.
Yes it is a love hate relationship and they both need each other so they are in the same boat. Throw them a bone once in a while just to keep them busy until the official engagement. I do think that celebs like Beyonce who retain their privacy yet use social media to release pictures is a good model.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen E View Post
This interview was clearly a joint decision by H&M. My point is that she is the one getting all the criticism & he needs to speak up so it doesn't appear one-sided.
I think their actions over the next few months will speak louder than words. This is clearly a step in a process.
It is very sexist to say Meghan is not allowed to speak for the both of them as a couple.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Nobility

The thing is, that DM and other tabloids have tried to set the tone and tell the story for Meghan from the start. She has her own voice, she told a bit of her own story herself, and IMHO it was the right approach for her (and Harry). She set it down how and when they met. She set down, that they're a serious relationship and will soon come together to the public.
The British media have been a bit bitter from the start, because they got called out for the tone they did set re Meghan. Emily Andrews has got the exclusive pics, but that's not enough, she's still whining on twitter. The Sun has got the scoop often, but that's not enough. Harry and Meghan will soon give a bone to the British tabloids, but DM will be left hanging as long as they follow meghan's mother around to laundromat.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
They wont be equal partners. She will be his support act, just as Kate is for William and Camilla is for Charles.. and Philip is for the queen.
Maybe in their public roles, but (only from observation) I think William and Kate are equal partners at home. They are a team and support each other.
I think Meghan and Harry are developing or have developed their own team.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
The thing is, that DM and other tabloids have tried to set the tone and tell the story for Meghan from the start. She has her own voice, she told a bit of her own story herself, and IMHO it was the right approach for her (and Harry). She set it down how and when they met. She set down, that they're a serious relationship and will soon come together to the public.
The British media have been a bit bitter from the start, because they got called out for the tone they did set re Meghan. Emily Andrews has got the exclusive pics, but that's not enough, she's still whining on twitter. The Sun has got the scoop often, but that's not enough. Harry and Meghan will soon give a bone to the British tabloids, but DM will be left hanging as long as they follow meghan's mother around to laundromat.
Emily's sour grapes about Harry's November letter is just so strong still. Part of it is because she and her paper participated in a number of headlines that were either purposefully misleading or complete untrue. She actually called the break in at Meghan's house as a "perception" problem. I enjoy their exclusive pics, but that made me a bit nauseous.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
Yes it is a love hate relationship and they both need each other so they are in the same boat. Throw them a bone once in a while just to keep them busy until the official engagement. I do think that celebs like Beyonce who retain their privacy yet use social media to release pictures is a good model.
But when KP releases photos the UK press whines about all of them mot being able to send their own photographer to take their own pictures.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:37 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It really isn't surprising that over time, with less and less credibility being given to the British tabloid press that if there's something that anyone, be it the royal family, well known personages and such, will gravitate to get their information out in other ways than including the tabloids. The Cambridges are beginning to release their own photos taken by Kate through their social media. To me, its a process of totally eliminating those publications which looks for cash cows rather than present legitimate reporting. Some very good royal reporters are caught in this fishnet but they remain working for who they work for. Their choice.

Its a case of the tabloids being less than reputable by what they report and now having to live with the consequences. If a friend is known to be one that twists and exaggerates things you tell them, they're the last people on earth you trust to tell things to and relegate them to the ancient history folder.

Its not a good feeling to be made to feel obsolete and that is what is happening to tabloids but the reality of it all is that they don't do anything to change it.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:38 AM
Gentry

I never once said that Meghan should be stifled. If she had been speaking to VF about her charities, social issues or her work, I would have loved that & rejoiced! That would have gone a long way in presenting her as a modern woman & someone of substance who isn’t defined by her relationship. But let us not pretend that this VF interview does that. I would argue that it does the opposite.

Talking about being in love when you have yet to be properly introduced to the public was not a wise choice & slightly jumping the gun. There were better ways that Meghan could have been presented to the public. What has this interview really accomplished & how does it define Meghan as a person? If the most groundbreaking piece of her rollout interview is a declaration that they're in love, how does this make Meghan look any different from the other celebrities out there? She or KP could have at least insisted that a large chunk of the VF interview would be about her charity work instead there wasn't any mention of this.

As a fan of Meghan’s I think the VF interview was somewhat of an own goal, missed opportunity & doesn’t do her any favors.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It really isn't surprising that over time, with less and less credibility being given to the British tabloid press that if there's something that anyone, be it the royal family, well known personages and such, will gravitate to get their information out in other ways than including the tabloids. The Cambridges are beginning to release their own photos taken by Kate through their social media. To me, its a process of totally eliminating those publications which looks for cash cows rather than present legitimate reporting. Some very good royal reporters are caught in this fishnet but they remain working for who they work for. Their choice.

Its a case of the tabloids being less than reputable by what they report and now having to live with the consequences. If a friend is known to be one that twists and exaggerates things you tell them, they're the last people on earth you trust to tell things to and relegate them to the ancient history folder.

Its not a good feeling to be made to feel obsolete and that is what is happening to tabloids but the reality of it all is that they don't do anything to change it.
Exactly..well said. I think it a brilliant move by the Cambridges to release photos. When they are doing the media (Kate and the mental health piece or an article in VF with all her pics) they are being very smart about who they work with. The fact that Meghan picked VF, IMO, is another indicator the palace et al knew about this and okay'd it.

The tabloids have cooked the goose that laid the golden eggs. I would be happy to see them all go bankrupt.

LaRae
Old 09-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Very well said. The way these same tabloids now whining have been reporting about Meghan, it should come as no surprise she and Harry chose another publication for this interview.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

Some men really like women who speak their own minds. The BRF has had plenty of horrid- and quite true - things said about them in the press. How can having something lovely and romantic said about Harry hurt them?

I for one assume that someone from KP staff sat in on this interview, anyway.

And, as the proverb says, 'a cat may look at a king'.

Where is the harm, except to those who are easily offended?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I don't see a KP staff member sitting in on the interview. Although the photo shoot part of the VF article was in London, the actual interview itself was done at Meghan's home in Toronto.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that we need to look at this relationship and how its handled from a global perspective rather than an exclusive British one. Harry is half of the relationship not the entire have all and be all of it.

He may be a prince of the UK and they do things in their own certain way but as we've seen, even in the work of the Royal Foundation and the younger royal's charity work that they're not limiting themselves to just the UK and a lot of their work is global. Both Harry and Meghan, together, have the opportunity to make a world of difference literally on the world stage.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I never once said that Meghan should be stifled. If she had been speaking to VF about her charities, social issues or her work, I would have loved that & rejoiced! That would have gone a long way in presenting her as a modern woman & someone of substance who isn’t defined by her relationship. But let us not pretend that this VF interview does that. I would argue that it does the opposite.

Talking about being in love when you have yet to be properly introduced to the public was not a wise choice & slightly jumping the gun. There were better ways that Meghan could have been presented to the public. What has this interview really accomplished & how does it define Meghan as a person? If the most groundbreaking piece of her rollout interview is a declaration that they're in love, how does this make Meghan look any different from the other celebrities out there? She or KP could have at least insisted that a large chunk of the VF interview would be about her charity work instead there wasn't any mention of this.

As a fan of Meghan’s I think the VF interview was somewhat of an own goal, missed opportunity & doesn’t do her any favors.
Could you tell me from yr comment above just how someone is *properly introduced to the public means and how is that done*? I for the love of me could not find that in any book or article on how one is introduced in a proper way to the public.....how would they look, what would they wear, what should they say, when should it be done and who gives permission for someone to be properly introduced? And what year are we in right now, from looking at my calendar it is 2017, not 1940 or earlier...time change and we as women are allowed to be vocal and forthright as our own person, in face we are actually real live human beings that hold down top jobs around the world and make amazing discoveries in all avenue of the world, not women who walk behind any man but right at their side.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

But there would have been no issue if Harry were the one who said they are in love, yeah? No suggestion that he was being defined by his relationship? That's quite problematic.

If people actually read the VF interview and conclude that it was just all about her romantic relationship, then I think that's their problem, not Meghan's.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
But there would have been no issue if Harry were the one who said they are in love, yeah? No suggestion that he was being defined by his relationship? That's quite problematic.

If people actually read the VF interview and conclude that it was just all about her romantic relationship, then I think that's their problem, not Meghan's.
Very well said. If anyone, in 2017, thinks a woman says they are in love first is desperate, but not so for a man. That's a bad reflection on them, not Meghan.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Commoner

Given the different perceptions of the interview, I thought an analysis might be helpful. So, what is the interview really about:

18% - Introduction/closing and author's interaction with and impression of Meghan (a lot about where she lives; (being a) food(ie) - includes quotes from Meghan
15% - About Suits and acting in general
13% - About Meghan's childhood/family - includes previous writings from Meghan and quotes from the VF interview
11% - About prince Harry (who is he? No comments from Meghan)
8% - About begin mixed-race - quote references her freckles (other than that recycled material)
8% - About what the royal family might think
7% - about dealing with the media (because of relationship with her boyfriend - she never calls him Harry!) - includes quotes from Meghan
6% - Friends about Meghan
5% - About her relationship with Harry - includes quotes from Meghan
4% - About developing social awareness and philanthropy - includes quotes from Meghan
4% - About how others (especially the media) react to their relationship (including criticism)
Old 09-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Could you tell me from yr comment above just how someone is *properly introduced to the public means and how is that done*? I for the love of me could not find that in any book or article on how one is introduced in a proper way to the public.....how would they look, what would they wear, what should they say, when should it be done and who gives permission for someone to be properly introduced? And what year are we in right now, from looking at my calendar it is 2017, not 1940 or earlier...time change and we as women are allowed to be vocal and forthright as our own person, in face we are actually real live human beings that hold down top jobs around the world and make amazing discoveries in all avenue of the world, not women who walk behind any man but right at their side.
H&M have gone out of their way not to appear in public together which is fair enough. But what is the point of then having Meghan give an exclusive interview to a magazine where she doesn't reveal anything new about herself just tidbits about their relationship. How is this different to the typical ploy that most celebrities play?

Unless H&M are ready to unveil themselves as a couple in some sort of semi-official capacity then there is no need for any such revelations. A more authentic roll out would have been for the couple to appear publicly together side by side in a show of solidarity.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
H&M have gone out of their way not to appear in public together which is fair enough. But why should Meghan then give an exclusive interview to a magazine where she doesn't reveal anything new about herself just tidbits about her relationship. How is this different to the typical ploy that most celebrities play?

Unless H&M are ready to unveil themselves as a couple in some sort of semi-official capacity then there is no need for any such revelations. A more authentic roll out would have been for the couple to appear publicly together side by side in a show of solidarity.
I don't know if it's they've gone out of their way to not appear in public. They certainly didn't at polo or when they were caught coming out of Soho House. It seems to me that they aren't hiding per se, but just keeping a low key. Let's put it this way, they aren't about to go the hottest restaurant in town where celebs all hang out and eat at an outside table, but they are still going to do the things they want to do. Britain does have stricter laws regarding this kind of thing.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:58 PM
Majesty

Yes, I agree. We'll see what happens with the Invictus Games in Toronto. If they're together a lot in public, that will be almost like an unofficial engagement announcement.

Quote:
Old 09-08-2017, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

So they may officially announce their engagement in October? (Invictus Games will take place from 23 to 30 September)

Closed Thread