The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
What I meant was that the Meghan part of my post was me responding to Iluvbertie, It wasn't me saying there are no burdens to royal fife.

Yes, there's many burdens, but as I said also many benefits.

Some of the the things I listed up in post 608 + some more.

1. She's going to be married to the grandson of QEII: The head of state of 16 countries, the figurehead of 2 billion people, the most beloved, popular, iconic and most famous person in the world. What does that means? That she will be representing her (great honor).

2. She's going to a member of the most prestigious and famous institution/family in the world (enormous prestige).

3. She's going to be HRH the Duchess of something (enormous prestige).

4. She's going to live a life in luxury in a palace with staffers etc.

5. She will have security guards 24/7.

6. She's going to meet some very interesting people.

7. And she's going to get opportunities that not even A-list actors get.

8. She will also get the opportunity to take on many charities and can therefor make a real difference in people's lives.

9. And as Osipi wrote, she'll get the man she loves.

And I really think she can live with that.
Again, other than the opportunity for her to work on issues that matters to her and the man she loves, it's superficial stuff that wears out after awhile and won't really bring happiness to life.

No one is saying she can't live it. In fact, I've pointed out that she seems willing to make the sacrifices. However, let's not try to act as if she's not making significant sacrifices for a long list of benefits. Most of those "benefits" don't necessarily lead to a happy life.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
So an engagement ring is her moving onto better things, after she gives up her own career, income etc? I want thinking it was more personal kind of 'better things', which were for her benefit, for her fame.
If MM was really a social climber she could marry athletes, producers, businessmen who have more money and also the freedom to spend that money anyway they see fit and still keep her job. PH can't even take a vacation without people whining about it.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
If MM was really a social climber she could marry athletes, producers, businessmen who have more money and also the freedom to spend that money anyway they see fit and still keep her job. PH can't even take a vacation without people whining about it.
If she was a social climber then you cant get much higher than grabbing a prince and becoming an HRH

if she was into money THEN she would chase athletes, producers, businessmen who have more money than Harry who is only worth c. £10m. Chickenfeed for wealthy AMericans.

Money and status are 2 very different things. H has more status than you can buy in the US. But his wealth doesn't compare with most US sports people

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is turning into the saddest thread on the Forum as it appears to be so divisive.

Cepe - I ageee, but give it time. Either they'll break up and this thread'll fade to obscurity, or they'll marry and most of the people who hate the relationship'll jump on board (if it can happen for Sofia of Sweden, it can happen for Meghan), and we can resume our regularly scheduled bickering about Diana/Charles/Camilla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
It becomes divisive IMO when some posters (including some who are known not to be great fans of Harry's) come on this thread merely to be negative and disruptive. Plus, Harry's and Meghan's is a new romance and feelings are apparently running high about it.

In defence of those posters (although I do 100% agree that some people are here just to be negative and disruptive), there are also some posters here who are huge fans of Meghan/this relationship who are just as inclined to be disruptive, particularly if anything negative is said - not even just in a sense of "someone says something negative about Meghan/Harry/the relationship" sense, but also in a "someone points out that this relationship has very legitimate obstacles to face" sense.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShades View Post
Oh dear. ��

Actually I believe it was the other way round and it was Harry who did the dumping as he eventually grew tired of her hysterics and found her to be so immature. He'd obviously concluded she wasn't equipped to take on the duties that becoming his wife would entail. And wasn't up to the job. There were many reports of frequent rows between them in the press at time and she was often pictured looking miserable with a face on her. But to be fair to her, no one could blame her one bit seeing as Harry still carried a bit of a rep as the playboy about town and he wasn't about to settle down any time soon. This at a time during which her camp & family were busy vigorously shipping for a marriage to occur.

There used to be regular stories/rumours flying about of 'impending announcements' and the like.

Now, there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that's Harry was genuinely infatuated with Cressida at the start of the relationship and he did go some way in tying to woo her initially. I just think he outgrew her and got fed up of the drama. He is that much of a gentleman though and allowed the narrative to flourish that she walked away when the reality was he spared her blushes.

It was quite a different scenario with Harry & Chelsy they were both adventurous and in love but clearly too young to settle down but he did propose to her at one point. Together they enjoyed raucous fun and there were many episodes of splitting up & making up soon after. They both possessed similar temperaments. I think she finally decided to walk away in the belief that he'd grow up one day then go running back to her as was usually the case with those two. Only he has now grown up and it doesn't appear he will be going back, but who knows?

I strongly believe H&M have met each other at the right time. They are both mature and have experienced life at its fullest. They're also fully equipped and prepared to weather any storm that crosses their path. They were individually on a journey before this point in their lives.

There is something very deep between them, that much is obvious.

I tend to agree about Cressida/Harry...at first I think there was that attraction but they were never really in sync for long term...she was several years young and focused on a career and I always got the impression she was a bit immature/flighty. I never thought she really matched him.

The relationship with Chelsea/Harry was very immature and unstable ...they were both too volatile and too young to deal with each other. That said, I don't think they would fit together 10 plus years forward either.

Meghan/Harry is really the first relationship I've seen develop into something that could really go the distance. They seem well suited and both at the right place in life.

Time will tell.

LaRae
Old 09-07-2017, 09:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
If she was a social climber then you cant get much higher than grabbing a prince and becoming an HRH

if she was into money THEN she would chase athletes, producers, businessmen who have more money than Harry who is only worth c. £10m. Chickenfeed for wealthy AMericans.

Money and status are 2 very different things. H has more status than you can buy in the US. But his wealth doesn't compare with most US sports people
Agreed. And even for status there really is only so much to gain.

Honestly if she was just out for wealth and prestige, a wealthy aristocrat, politician or athlete would be better. A non royal duchess with all the parties, money, jewels and lifestyle but without the duties that go along with being a royal and speculation, has far more perks.

If I was out for a title and tiara, Id rather be the future duchess of Northumberland, living in Syon house and Hogwarts, and enjoying immense wealth as a private citizen then marrying a royal. But that's just me.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShades View Post
Oh dear. ��

Actually I believe it was the other way round and it was Harry who did the dumping as he eventually grew tired of her hysterics and found her to be so immature. He'd obviously concluded she wasn't equipped to take on the duties that becoming his wife would entail. And wasn't up to the job. There were many reports of frequent rows between them in the press at time and she was often pictured looking miserable with a face on her. But to be fair to her, no one could blame her one bit seeing as Harry still carried a bit of a rep as the playboy about town and he wasn't about to settle down any time soon. This at a time during which her camp & family were busy vigorously shipping for a marriage to occur.

There used to be regular stories/rumours flying about of 'impending announcements' and the like.

Now, there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Harry was genuinely infatuated with Cressida at the start of the relationship and he did go some way in tying to woo her initially. I just think he outgrew her and got fed up of the drama. He is that much of a gentleman though and allowed the narrative to flourish that she had simply walked away when the reality was he spared her blushes.

It was quite a different scenario with Harry & Chelsy they were both adventurous and in love but clearly too young to settle down but he did propose to her at one point. Together they enjoyed raucous fun and there were many episodes of splitting up & making up soon after. They both possessed similar temperaments. I think she finally decided to walk away in the belief that he'd grow up one day then go running back to her as was usually the case with those two. Only he has now grown up and it doesn't appear he will be going back, but who knows?

In between all that were the Funtime girls, one nighters, the temporary flings that are recently crawling out of the woodworks without a hint of shame claiming to have 'meant something' to him. And yet there are no photographic evidence to shed more light on these claims. These women were hidden away out of sight for a reason.

I strongly believe H&M have met each other at the right time. They are both mature and have experienced life at its fullest. They're also fully equipped and prepared to weather any storm that crosses their path. They were individually on a journey before this point in their lives.

There is something very deep going on between them, that much is obvious.

Why bring ex girlfriends into it ? Again no need to rubbish his ex with unproven talk.There is need to do this at all.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Why bring ex girlfriends into it ? Again no need to rubbish his ex with unproven talk.There is need to do this at all.
To be fair, it started with a poster saying how Harry has all kinds of issues and thinks Meghan is the best he could do because his ex-gf dumped him or something like that. But granted, that's not a conversation that needs to go any further.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Agreed. And even for status there really is only so much to gain.

Honestly if she was just out for wealth and prestige, a wealthy aristocrat, politician or athlete would be better. A non royal duchess with all the parties, money, jewels and lifestyle but without the duties that go along with being a royal and speculation, has far more perks.

If I was out for a title and tiara, Id rather be the future duchess of Northumberland, living in Syon house and Hogwarts, and enjoying immense wealth as a private citizen then marrying a royal. But that's just me.
In reality no. When we had floods a couple of yrs ago, the only way the D of Northumberland could do repairs was to sell off treasures. Wealthy in assets; poor in cash. That's the problem with UK aristocratic wealth that many don't understand.

Same with HMQ - lots of assets, not £300m in cash!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
In reality no. When we had floods a couple of yrs ago, the only way the D of Northumberland could do repairs was to sell off treasures. Wealthy in assets; poor in cash. That's the problem with UK aristocratic wealth that many don't understand.

Same with HMQ - lots of assets, not £300m in cash!
This is veering off topic. I don't think she's really looking for status based on two very obvious facts. First, she married a normal guy after a long relationship the first time and then she was involved with another normal guy between that marriage and this relationship. Second, she was caught in a fire question answer months before she met Harry. The interviewer actually asked her Prince William or Prince Harry. That's the one question where her answer gives the feeling like I don't care enough to have an opinion on this. She finally did say Harry because the interviewer was giddy about Harry. It was quite funny actually.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Well, well, well. This thread was a bit of mess!

Please note that I have deleted posts regarding Harry's mental state as well as potential drug use as these posts were off topic and speculative. And honestly, I could probably could delete some more but its late. So don't be surprised if in the next day or so, some more posts are deleted by a member of the British moderation team.

Regardless, it's time for a friendly reminder of some TRF rules:
  • Threads should remain on topic. If you wish to conduct a private conversation with another poster, please do so via the private message system or the chat room. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.
  • Insulting comments about other posters and royals are not permitted. Criticism is acceptable; insults and flames are not. We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
  • Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated.
Please note that this thread is about Harry and Meghan...relationship and musings. It's not about Harry's role during the reign of Charles, William and goodness gracious, George. It's not about who dumped who in the Cressida/Harry relationship. It's not about George, Charlotte and Baby Cambridge 3 and how old they will be before they start to have a royal life in terms of royal engagements and love lives.

It's Harry and Meghan.

Say it with me folks...Harry and Meghan.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 09-08-2017, 04:57 AM
Majesty

May I just say that I have always admired women who embraced their freckles and Meghan does. I like the air of positive energy she gives off in the VF article. I'm hoping that both Harry and Meghan get their happy ending, preferably with each other.

Just for laughs, I saw another Australian weekly mag my sister brought home with her. It had, among other things on the cover, a photo of Diana wearing her magnificent aquamarine ring and Megan wearing it on her right hand. I haven't seen anything else about it so I am guessing it was an excellent photoshop.

For all that, it is a gorgeous ring and it did look beautiful. The actual mag brought back didn't have the yellow surrounded shots but one of Diana in her fabulous one-shouldered aqua gown.

https://dev.magzter.com/dynimage/thu...=300&w=250&a=t
Old 09-08-2017, 08:12 AM
Gentry

While I don't doubt that H&M are madly in love, I just wished that Harry would also speak openly about his love for Meghan in an interview. The KP statement back in November never once mentioned the 'L' word, it was rather a request for the media to stop their racist & prejudice report of Meghan. Harry has been given many opportunities since then in interviews to talk about Meghan but he has always deflected the question. He shouldn’t let Meghan or KP do his talking for him when it comes to matters of the heart. She is now unfairly getting all the criticism for being indiscreet & somewhat desperate, all of which should have been foreseen.

Also now that Meghan has publicly spoken about being in love, the next time Harry is asked to comment about whether he loves her but he refuses to answer, how will this look? It will bring back memories of Charles being asked whether he loves Diana & him refusing to answer while Diana was the one gushing instead!

Personally if I was a woman in a high profile relationship & a man hasn't publicly claimed that he “loves me”, I would not do the same either! That’s just my two cents worth!
Old 09-08-2017, 08:18 AM
Royal Highness

So he should 'gush' so you feel re-assured ? Ms Markle can obviously say what she likes, but if the Prince prefers to keep silent [to us] on the feelings of his heart why shouldn't he ?
Old 09-08-2017, 08:26 AM
Nobility

I don't think a man needs to 'claim' a woman even if he's a royal. Imo I hate the 'she's desperate' label women get, if they talk about their relationship without the man by their side. I'm making a bold assumption, that Harry is fine with Meghan speaking for the both of them, and imo he doesn't need to speak for their love and relationship to be in fact real. Had Harry been the one to speak up, no one would call him desperate or question the legitimacy of his statement. But somehow it's less legitimate when Meghan is doing the talking.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
So He should 'gush' so you feel re-assured ?
This is about Harry being given ample opportunities to talk about Meghan but refusing to do so. Him remaining silent while she takes all the heat is not a good look.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Royal Highness

It is her decision to 'blab', and open herself up 'to heat'.. He who has had far worse experiences of the way the press works may choose to be more circumspect ?
Old 09-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
I don't think a man needs to 'claim' a woman even if he's a royal. Imo I hate the 'she's desperate' label women get, if they talk about their relationship without the man by their side. I'm making a bold assumption, that Harry is fine with Meghan speaking for the both of them, and imo he doesn't need to speak for their love and relationship to be in fact real. Had Harry been the one to speak up, no one would call him desperate or question the legitimacy of his statement. But somehow it's less legitimate when Meghan is doing the talking.
Harry is the one that is more famous of the two. I think it would do a lot to take the heat off Meghan if he at least also talked about it. As it stands the bulk of the criticism is coming down on her.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen E View Post
This is about Harry being given ample opportunities to talk about Meghan but refusing to do so. Him remaining silent while she takes all the heat is not a good look.
Are you forgetting the statement he put out in November? What exactly do you want him to say, and when? Only times he has spoken to the press are official visits, his interview about mental health, and Diana's 20th anniversary things. Should he randomly make these engagements about his relationship with Meghan?

Eta: perhaps Meghan doesn't want Harry to take the heat off of her. She seems to be very capable of handling herself, the press, the attention, and doesn't need Harry to take anything for her. She's not some wilding wallflower, but an adult woman who's been handling the press for years. She's not going to melt due to tabloid heat.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 AM

The thing I like about the H&M pairing is that it doesn't lend itself easily to the "fairytale" meme for the press. I was already very familiar with Meghan as a Suits fan, and was stunned when I first heard of it---my first thought was how did they meet? As the narrative played out in the press with the mutual friend introduction, the common interests, the trans-Atlantic romance, I was presented with an unlikely but intriguing couple that is really together out of mutual respect and love.

The VF interview made me very happy because I believe it is an indication that they truly are committed to going the distance. My guess is an engagement announcement by Christmas.