The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 05:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
on that basis she shouldnt have a call on the UK people unless carrying out royal business - so no security etc.
Agreed...If she's only a 'part- timer'...

Old 09-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Why should she have to give up her career and life though? She should be able to continue to act, if that is what she wants to do.

The expectation that a woman who marries has to give up their life for their royal spouse while a man marrying a royal is able to continue with his previous occupation is plainly sexist and should be unacceptable in this day and age.

She also shouldn't have to give up her nationality and be forced to more to the UK. That should be a decision made between the two of them based on what both of them want to do not on who is family is.

Sure if she wants to give up everything she has personally built for a life of being a low-level royal who has to give way to a large number of people who have done nothing much other than be born to the right parents that is fine but if she wants to continue with the life she has built for herself she should be able to do that as well.
Meghan would hardly be a "low-level" royal, as Harry himself is still a core, important member of the RF and that most certainly isn't changing any time soon. What she is willing to give up is totally her call but she wouldn't be taking any huge risk giving up her acting career. Given how open she has been about how difficult it is for her to land roles, I'm sure she knows that it would only become even more difficult as a woman who's only a few years away from her 40s. I am of the opinion that she likely knows that she can accomplish much more as Harry's wife and a member of the BRF than she can as a tv actress.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry said in an interview something along the lines of "he only has a few years before George and Charlotte take over "

So Harry knows the Cambridge children are going to eclipse him, just like W&H eclipsed Andrew.

Harry and Meghan will be 'second team' royals before they know it.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
They know it well and they probably are kind of on the thankful side for it. No matter what though, Harry will always be there to support his father and his brother regardless of whatever number he is in line to the throne or how major or minor or even a bit player he is.

This is a reality too that makes me think in the back of my mind that when the time comes, Harry and his wife (whomever she may be) will go the route that Sophie and Edward did and request that their children be titled and styled as children of a duke (presuming Harry is created a duke upon marriage).

As the Cambridge family becomes more and more prominent in the scheme of things regarding the "Firm", Harry and his wife will have more leeway in doing their charity works. It wouldn't surprise me that when William does become king, the Royal Foundation as we know it now will be turned over totally to Harry and his family.

We'll see. Anything can happen between now and then though.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Harry said in an interview something along the lines of "he only has a few years before George and Charlotte take over "

So Harry knows the Cambridge children are going to eclipse him, just like W&H eclipsed Andrew.

And far from resenting it, I get the feeling that Harry is counting down the minutes!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 09-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

In 15 years or so, perhaps. But even then, Harry will still play an important role as son of the monarch and only sibling to the heir, especially so if Charles indeed plans to slim down the monarchy.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Nobility

I can't wait to hear about Harry spending his first American holiday with his American family in the US before, after, and while married namely, "Thanksgiving". I wonder if he know what African-Americans like to enjoy on holidays like that such as chittlings. And Meghan's mother is from down south so Harry is going to ne exposed to African-American culture. I can't wait to read about his reactions. LOL!

Major culture shock for him perhaps?
Old 09-06-2017, 06:58 PM
Majesty

I see a difference because Kate had been the Duchess of Cambridge for a few years before appearing in VOGUE. We generally don't hear from a royal girlfriend "in her own words" until the engagement interview.

Promotion is part of Meghan's job as an actress, but I don't think that it should be part of her relationship with Harry. I'm afraid that this foray might lead to even more pressure being put on both of them to make an engagement announcement sooner rather than later. Once someone reveals something to the media, the media--and those who consume it--can become fixated on those few words.

In other words, if Harry and Meghan don't marry, these words will come back to haunt her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
I honestly don't get what the big deal is. Celebrity slope? we hardly see her! Also Will did GQ along with glossy photos, Kate did Vogue, Harry did Newsweek. Promotion is part of Meghan's job to begin with she has been on the cover of several magazines. The article was basic and pedestrian highlighted by her admitting that she and Harry are happy and a couple. I kind of like that two almost middle aged adults are not playing coy. I hope this signals them becoming semi official similar to how Sophie and Edward where before they even got engaged.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
I can't wait to hear about Harry spending his first American holiday with his American family in the US before, after, and while married namely, "Thanksgiving". I wonder if he know what African-Americans like to enjoy on holidays like that such as chittlings. And Meghan's mother is from down south so Harry is going to ne exposed to African-American culture. I can't wait to read about his reactions. LOL!

Major culture shock for him perhaps?
Yes, and wait until Meghan is confronted with kedgeree, black pudding, bubble and squeak, bangers and mash, and for dessert, spotted dick!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
I have the impression that with the VF Interview she has no intention to marry Harry.
Wishful thinking?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Yes, and wait until Meghan is confronted with kedgeree, black pudding, bubble and squeak, bangers and mash, and for dessert, spotted dick!
Oh my! You forgot haggis! I think though that with being partially vegan, she'll have an "out" for bypassing some things that just don't appeal to her foodie sensibilities. Then again, she may jump on it all with both forks firing. If I remember correctly, both she and Harry have been reported to dine on local foods wherever they travel but don't quote me on that one.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Why should she have to give up her career and life though? She should be able to continue to act, if that is what she wants to do.

The expectation that a woman who marries has to give up their life for their royal spouse while a man marrying a royal is able to continue with his previous occupation is plainly sexist and should be unacceptable in this day and age.

She also shouldn't have to give up her nationality and be forced to more to the UK. That should be a decision made between the two of them based on what both of them want to do not on who is family is.

Sure if she wants to give up everything she has personally built for a life of being a low-level royal who has to give way to a large number of people who have done nothing much other than be born to the right parents that is fine but if she wants to continue with the life she has built for herself she should be able to do that as well.
I wouldn't call Harry a low level royal. His prominence will not fade until the Cambridge children are grown. If George picks up royal duties the same time his father did, it'll be almost 25 years from now. In that time, Charles will start phasing his siblings out from royal duties, and he's only got two sons. If Charles passes in that time, William will only have his adult brother to rely on.

And I think it's a given that any wife Harry marries will have to become a full time royal and thus won't have time for her current occupation. It's a huge sacrifice, but it's something that everyone knows up front. It's a big sacrifice, but it's a decision. If Meghan decides she doesn't want to give up, she'd have walked away by now. Neither of them are teenagers. While love is exhilarating, as an adult, you begin to understand it's more than that.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I see a difference because Kate had been the Duchess of Cambridge for a few years before appearing in VOGUE. We generally don't hear from a royal girlfriend "in her own words" until the engagement interview.

Promotion is part of Meghan's job as an actress, but I don't think that it should be part of her relationship with Harry. I'm afraid that this foray might lead to even more pressure being put on both of them to make an engagement announcement sooner rather than later. Once someone reveals something to the media, the media--and those who consume it--can become fixated on those few words.

In other words, if Harry and Meghan don't marry, these words will come back to haunt her.
And she'll just have to live with it. Meghan strikes me as a reasonable woman who can live with her own decisions. It's great that everyone is so concerned about her, but last time I checked, she seems to be doing alright. Some people act like her being and actress and her being Harry's girlfriend is always supposed to be mutually exclusive, but both role are the same person. It's all part of who she is. But neither defines her as a person. It's good that she's aware of herself other than her role, especially if she marries in that the BRF.

As for DoC not doing her Vogue interview until a few years down the line, I have to wonder if it's timing of her being comfortable doing interviews alone and that fact that it'll be a high profile interview? Kate Middleton, as an individual, isn't exactly used to do interviews and professional photoshoots. Additionally, I always felt that it's more acceptable for the other royals to make a gaffe than those who is one going to be king and queen. They are probably cautious whenever Kate has to do a profile piece.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post

The photo shoot with Vogue was part of a collaboration between Vogue and the National Portrait Gallery which Kate is the patron of. It was also only a photo shoot. She didn't give an interview. So she used her image to bring awareness to one of her patronages just like William's interview with GQ to bring awareness for their mental health companion. In both cases, the magazines were British magazines.

What is Meghan bring attention too? Some people may say herself? If she is trying to introduce herself to the British people, why an American magazine not a British one? Why such stylized photos? Why not use more realistic natural photos instead of barefoot in a gown?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:59 PM
Heir Apparent

As far as Harry being eclipsed by the Cambridge children ....that's years away. I don't think people will ever not pay attention to Harry and his family...not until George is King maybe...and that's decades away..and Harry will be a key figure in William's reign. By the time George is King Harry will probably be ready to retire!

LaRae
Old 09-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The photo shoot with Vogue was part of a collaboration between Vogue and the National Portrait Gallery which Kate is the patron of. It was also only a photo shoot. She didn't give an interview. So she used her image to bring awareness to one of her patronages just like William's interview with GQ to bring awareness for their mental health companion. In both cases, the magazines were British magazines.

What is Meghan bring attention too? Some people may say herself? If she is trying to introduce herself to the British people, why an American magazine not a British one? Why such stylized photos? Why not use more realistic natural photos instead of barefoot in a gown?
She's bringing attention to the fact that she'll soon be Harry's wife. If she were merely or mainly in this to garner attention for herself, then surely she would have been doing a better job of this over the last few months? She has had to give up so much of what has made her successful because of this relationship but one interview/photoshoot is suddenly all the proof some need that she is in this for attention? As far as I'm concerned, she earned this cover and interview. I don't see anything wrong with it at all (save the sensational headline, perhaps).

I have to add that it's quite hilarious that many of her critics spent months complaining about Harry "hiding" and protecting her, insisting that this was proof of her not being able to handle royal life. And now, we're back to calling her an attention seeker? Which one is it?? It can't be both!
Old 09-06-2017, 08:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Oh my! You forgot haggis! I think though that with being partially vegan, she'll have an "out" for bypassing some things that just don't appeal to her foodie sensibilities. Then again, she may jump on it all with both forks firing. If I remember correctly, both she and Harry have been reported to dine on local foods wherever they travel but don't quote me on that one.

How can someone be part vegan ? It's a whole way of life very different to a vegetarian
Old 09-06-2017, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Hmmm I'm not sure she's vegan...seems like I saw her talking in an article about eating meat (chicken etc).

LaRae
Old 09-06-2017, 09:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

And this is what I don't like about this we are making her out to be something she's not and doesn't need to be. She doesn't have to be beautiful or sympathetic to everyone or very intelligent or some wonderful person. Harry has fallen in love with her enough said.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

Kate had a job to do, as does she. This clearly was taken seriously by a variety of people other than Meghan. You think Bonnie Hammer just gives random quotes about an actress on one of USA's shows? It's obvious that this situation is being closely monitored. The network has made a number of changes to accommodate this relationship. I'm sure they've benefited from this extra attention on the show, but they've also be aware and considerate of this delicate situation. As far as I'm concerned, this piece killed two birds with one stone.

Some expects her to act like the Duchess of Cambridge. One problem, she's not a member of the BRF. And another, they are two different people in two different situations. You don't have to like this, but act like this is inappropriate behavior is just blowing things out of proportion. I know some doesn't like this part, but because she will not be the future Queen of England, she gets some more freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
And this is what I don't like about this we are making her out to be something she's not and doesn't need to be. She doesn't have to be beautiful or sympathetic to everyone or very intelligent or some wonderful person. Harry has fallen in love with her enough said.
Nobody says she has to be. But if she is, we can certainly talk about it. At the same time, some of the people are taking issue with this have tried to minimize her accomplishments to try to paint her as unintelligent and unsympathetic among other things.

Closed Thread