The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I am sorry to agree.

The Cambridges photographed a couple of years ago schmoozing with JayZ and Beyonce at a Knicks game pretty much sealed it even though it started years ago.

The celebrification of the Windsors will not begin with Meghan Markle.

It started with Princess Margaret in the Swinging 60's, hanging out with the Beatles and the Burtons and the Rolling Stones and partying on Mustique, and reached it's zenith with Diana Princess of Wales in the 80's-90's.
Oh, much much earlier than that. King Edward VIII when Prince of Wales was friendly with actors and musicians as was his younger brother the Duke of Kent. And Lady Mountbatten had lovers from show business.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Gentry

I'm a fan of Meghan's but I like to think that I can also be objective!

A day after the event & I'm still struggling to understand the point of this Vanity Fair cover story. She is not promoting her show or talking about her charities. If she wants to be known for her work & not who she is dating I think it's rather bizarre the article barely touches on her work. Meghan is an intelligent woman who usually comes off as very articulate, however I don't think this piece does her any justice & it comes across as quite shallow. It's a fluff piece that is poorly written & most of the quotes are coming from other people & old interviews. I don't know who had the final say over the editorial but it just seems very rushed & like they were only interested in getting a few good quotes about Harry.

If this is supposed to be a rollout I would have expected a meatier piece with some new information about her work, charities & outlook. But what we got is just a rehash of old stories & fluffy revelations like the sauce she buys. It's really not a good read, however in fairness to Meghan I don't think the final edit was her decision.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Lets take a look at this from another angle. According to the Oxford dictionary, the word "celebrity" is defined as:

1A famous person, especially in entertainment or sport.
‘he became a sporting celebrity’
as modifier ‘a celebrity chef’
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.1mass noun The state of being well known.
‘his prestige and celebrity grew’

Although primarily associated in 2017 as people in entertainment and sports, it would also be appropriate to state "Prince William is a more of a royal celebrity than Prince (fill in the blank with a princely name from a more obscure country).

When using the word celebrity, we can usually define it better with an adjective such as a sports celebrity, a TV celebrity, a royal celebrity, a socialite celebrity. Other words that could be used are "stars" and "luminaries". Celebrity and being a celebrity means that they have a certain amount of renown that is notable and known by the masses.

Reflecting back on the Vanity Fair article, one statement does stand out for me where Meghan is asked about the notoriety of her relationship with Harry. She replies:

“We’re two people who are really happy and in love. We were very quietly dating for about six months before it became news, and I was working during that whole time, and the only thing that changed was people’s perception. Nothing about me changed. I’m still the same person that I am, and I’ve never defined myself by my relationship.

Meghan is not just proclaiming that they are "in love" but are two individual people that are "in love". The Meghan that Meghan was before she met Harry is the same person she is today. The same with Harry. Neither one of them is seeking to change, alter, transform or change the image of each other. They love each other because of who they are and not because of what they could be or turn themselves into. This has been a pitfall before in a royal marriage and we don't see this here. It tells me that this couple is very much grounded in reality.

I don't think Harry could ask for a more well grounded, self confident and congenial person to share his life with and all that his life entails. If it takes a "celebrity" to enhance, support and add to the British royal family, in my eyes it is a good thing all around and a very positive asset.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Oh, much much earlier than that. King Edward VIII when Prince of Wales was friendly with actors and musicians as was his younger brother the Duke of Kent. And Lady Mountbatten had lovers from show business.

George Duke of Kent was said to be especially...close...with Noel Coward. You are right, Royalty and show biz go even farther than I thought!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 09-06-2017, 12:07 PM
Nobility

And Prince Charles was good friends with the late Joan Rivers.
Royalty and singers/actors/dancers can be friendly and it is not a problem so long as personal details aren't shared with the press.
And Royals use "celebrities" to further their charities.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Serene Highness

Ms Markle will be the first 'sleb' to marry into the BRF [if Harry does propose, and she accepts]...
Old 09-06-2017, 12:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen E View Post

A day after the event & I'm still struggling to understand the point of this Vanity Fair cover story. She is not promoting her show or talking about her charities. If she wants to be known for her work & not who she is dating I think it's rather bizarre the article barely touches on her work. Meghan is an intelligent woman who usually comes off as very articulate, however I don't think this piece does her any justice & it comes across as quite shallow. It's a fluff piece that is poorly written & most of the quotes are coming from other people & old interviews. I don't know who had the final say over the editorial but it just seems very rushed & like they were only interested in getting a few good quotes about Harry.

If this is supposed to be a rollout I would have expected a meatier piece with some new information about her work, charities & outlook. But what we got is just a rehash of old stories & fluffy revelations like the sauce she buys. It's really not a good read, however in fairness to Meghan I don't think the final edit was her decision.
I think it was not meant to be a full biography of Meghan. They were coming from now--she is winding down her career as an actress and will need to adjust the focus of her charitable endeavors-she is moving on and the primary thing is her relationship with Harry.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
This reminds me of when Michelle Obama touched the Queen. The Queen didn't seem to mind, but the people freaked out.
Well you know us Americans....we don't worry about that sort of thing!

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I think it was not meant to be a full biography of Meghan. They were coming from now--she is winding down her career as an actress and will need to adjust the focus of her charitable endeavors-she is moving on and the primary thing is her relationship with Harry.
I saw it as an introduction to folks...'why' could be asked about anyone who does an article for VF ...including members of the BRF.

LaRae
Old 09-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Ms Markle will be the first 'sleb' to marry into the BRF [if Harry does propose, and she accepts]...
Meh. A sleb, an aristo, a Yank or a Brit. All terms that can be tacked onto a person to describe a bit about themselves. As there's been a history of aristos and gentry or commoner marriages in the royal family where some went over like a lead balloon and some that persevered, who is to say that a 'sleb isn't going to be a good match? Its who the person is and not how the public defines them that makes the world of difference.

If the BRF can survive and prosper after Diana, Princess of Wales (an aristo), I think they can handle just about anybody.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen E View Post

I really appreciate you being objective and acknowledging that this was a questionable decision. And while the intention might have come from a good place the final product deserves to have mixed reactions. It's hard to converse with those that take the stance of "I'm a fan of this person don't you critique any of their actions, if you object to something - who cares!"

So kudos.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
''

That is true, but the BRF has had deep blue blooded aristocrats like Diana who eventually morphed in a "sleb"...then you have commoners like the Duchesses of Gloucester and Wessex who sometimes out-Royal the Royals in their sense of dignity and decorum.

We will have to wait and see what happens with Harry's beloved. I have my ideas of how it will turn out if/when she marries in, but nothing (good) will come of sharing them here right now.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 09-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
I like it, tbh. Meghan and Harry aren't acting like a ring on her finger would change her as a person. She's not going to be hidden in the shadows, she is her own person, has her own voice, even without a ring.

I don't think they've acted coy or secretive at all. Right from the start PH stated that Meghan is his girlfriend. They've openly travelled to see each other. Nothing coy about that at all.
But it has changed her. She's become less open. She shut down her website, stopped posting on twitter/Instagram, discontinued her clothing line and has given fewer interviews than in the past. And if she marries into the BRF, she'll have to be careful about the things she says and the causes she takes up. She'll also be giving up her acting career and any possibility of ever having a private life. I'm sure she feels it's well worth it, but we can't pretend that dating/marrying into a royal family doesn't change a person.

This conversation about Meghan's suitability is nothing new. Kate got hammered by it for years (not only from royal watchers but also by the media). Even Sophie had to deal with questions about whether she was a good fit. But just like Kate and Sophie, if Meghan marries into the BRF, questions about her suitability will subside and folks will find other things to criticize (like her clothes, or whether she does enough engagements).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Which makes me wonder just why exactly Meghan would be a threat to Catherine?
What does Catherine have that must be protected at all costs (against the 'claws' of Meghan)?
She's not a threat. This type of thing happens whenever there is someone new for the media/royal watchers to focus on. Diana was pitted against Fergie. In fact, when Fergie first came into the picture, she was seen as a breath of fresh air...the fun one. Next it was Diana and Sophie. Then came Kate and Chelsy and Kate and Beatrice/Eugenie.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
This reminds me of when Michelle Obama touched the Queen. The Queen didn't seem to mind, but the people freaked out.
In fact, it was the Queen who first touched Michelle Obama, not the other way round.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

If the BRF can survive and prosper after Diana, Princess of Wales (an aristo), I think they can handle just about anybody.
That is the truth!
Old 09-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Pictures:
Miss Meghan Markle's Portraits from the Vanity Fair Magazine-
The Royal Watcher

I hadn't seen the other 4 pictures. Beautifully done of course!

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
But it has changed her. She's become less open. She shut down her website, stopped posting on twitter/Instagram, discontinued her clothing line and has given fewer interviews than in the past. And if she marries into the BRF, she'll have to be careful about the things she says and the causes she takes up. She'll also be giving up her acting career and any possibility of ever having a private life. I'm sure she feels it's well worth it, but we can't pretend that dating/marrying into a royal family doesn't change a person.

This conversation about Meghan's suitability is nothing new. Kate got hammered by it for years (not only from royal watchers but also by the media). Even Sophie had to deal with questions about whether she was a good fit. But just like Kate and Sophie, if Meghan marries into the BRF, questions about her suitability will subside and folks will find other things to criticize (like her clothes, or whether she does enough engagements).

She's not a threat. This type of thing happens whenever there is someone new for the media/royal watchers to focus on. Diana was pitted against Fergie. In fact, when Fergie first came into the picture, she was seen as a breath of fresh air...the fun one. Next it was Diana and Sophie. Then came Kate and Chelsy and Kate and Beatrice/Eugenie.
Oh, I don't think that she's a threat. I was simply responding to two posters who expressed this feeling that Meghan is supposedly being seen by some as a 'threat' to Catherine. I wonder sometimes why certain persons can't just co-exist. Like Victoria and Sofia in Sweden. Victoria was The Holy Woman and Sofia was the Devil in Person who must be kept away from it all as far as possible. That was the mood at the time.

As for a possible engagement, I will only believe it when I see it. I don't think this interview indicates anything per se, it's just unprecedented.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Some of you need to stop being so negative! Harry is happy with Meghan and that is all that should matter here. Harry is dating her and probably will marry her and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Exactly. This was a carefully controlled interview by the looks of it. Meghan is being introduced to the public. Whether or not any one of us agrees on how it was done, does not matter. Harry and Meghan's relationship with the public and what they allow to be seen/known will be done according to their wishes, and through the advice of their PR teams.

We have heard ourselves that William and Harry are bringing the monarchy into the 21st century. Things will be done a different way. Some of us will be disappointed. It will never be the same to some.

I am over the moon ecstatic about this interview. She is a lovely woman. I could not be happier for the both of them. It's high time Harry is finally happy and ready to settle down.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

I am not familiar with the term 'sleb'. What is it?
Old 09-06-2017, 02:12 PM
Majesty

Its kind of a shortened version of celebrity into one syllable.

Kind of like the use of 'sup now to mean what's up.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks.
To me it feels negative. Is it, or is that just my interpretation?

Closed Thread