The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

You know, I do get other people anxieties about all of this. The media and royal watchers online aren't used to a member of the royal family dating a person who already have her own media presence and who's a successful actress. Also a woman of color. Just being honest. It's something new that people find hard to get used to.

I'm sure Harry never thought he would be dating an American actress and I'm sure Meghan never thought she would be dating a very famous British prince.

It's something I'm sure the late Prince Rainier and the late Grace Kelly never dreamed of either.

You can't control fate though.

In the days of George V, and even on back, none of this would be possible.

I totally understand the anxieties and worries and we can't totally dismiss those feelings.

Isn't it beautiful that in 2017 this is all possible though? It brings a tear to my eye (being serious) that a senior British royal can be allowed to follow his heart and have his woman declare (to the world) they're in love.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-06-2017, 12:30 AM
Nobility

Absolutely agree with you, this is 2017 and all people should be able to follow their hearts and be with the one that they love....no doubt about it. I just feel so sorry for those stuck in a time warp and the fact that they can't move forward and be somewhat happy that finally this young man has found a woman who loves him and is willing to give up so much to be with him and take on the world regardless of the hate and vile meanness out there.

I bet his mom is watching and is in his heart making him filled with love and joy.......way to go Harry and Meghan ......

Old 09-06-2017, 02:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm sure Harry never thought he would be dating an American actress and I'm sure Meghan never thought she would be dating a very famous British prince.

It's something I'm sure the late Prince Rainier and the late Grace Kelly never dreamed of either.

You can't control fate though.

In the days of George V, and even on back, none of this would be possible.

I totally understand the anxieties and worries and we can't totally dismiss those feelings.

Isn't it beautiful that in 2017 this is all possible though? It brings a tear to my eye (being serious) that a senior British royal can be allowed to follow his heart and have his woman declare (to the world) they're in love.
Indeed! 80 odd years ago a King abdicated to marry a divorced woman, yet here we are, the current heir - divorced himself - married over 12 years to a divorced woman.

Time has indeed moved on. Next year, after all, all things being equal Harry will be 6th in line to the throne, one step away from no longer needing the Queen's permission to marry. Not that I see that being an issue in any event.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post

Absolutely agree with you, this is 2017 and all people should be able to follow their hearts and be with the one that they love....no doubt about it. I just feel so sorry for those stuck in a time warp and the fact that they can't move forward and be somewhat happy that finally this young man has found a woman who loves him and is willing to give up so much to be with him and take on the world regardless of the hate and vile meanness out there.

I bet his mom is watching and is in his heart making him filled with love and joy.......way to go Harry and Meghan ......
Well, to be honest, some veteran royal reporters/correspondents and other royal watchers are used to the old way of royal dating and royal life. Anything new and out of the norm are seen as threatening to the royal family and tradition of the institution.

Actually, the royal family adapted to a new style of royal courtships many years ago.

When Prince Edward was dating Sophie Rhys-Jones (now the Countess of Wessex) a lot of the norms were broken. Sophie was present at the royal family side a lot. She attended various family events with the royals and she holidayed with the family on the Royal Yacht Britannia, the Castle of Mey and Balmoral. Sophie was practically a senior member of the family even before her engagement.

The royal family is actually relaxed on who and how members of the family date.

Harry is actually dating a person who have a job that requires her to be in the spotlight and have a social media presence. She's not an unknown English girl plucked from one of the counties. She's successful and accomplished in her own right. Secure in herself. An American and of mixed race.

When it comes to potential British Royal Brides, the media and royal watchers online, feel things should be more traditional.

Times have changed though and people shouldn't dismiss the change. The most important thing is that the couple is happy and in love. The royal family, their friends and other family members support them, we should too.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-06-2017, 04:17 AM
Majesty

To be honest, what has been posted in the last two days alone is absolutely mind blowing both in volume and content. I find myself wondering how a quite lovely interview which actually says very little but introduces Meghan Markle as a bona fide "girlfriend" who said she in love, could result in such turmoil.

Many have said they see KP's fingerprints all over this. I do not, for no other reason than if there is a good way or an even better way to release information they invariably default to BP style bumbling. I do not doubt that this interview was conceived and instigated by Harry and Meghan using her PR team via VF which both Harry and William seem to trust. A trust that was obviously not misplaced since the interview was in June and there were no leaks.

The use of Meghan's PR is a master stroke as they have a proven track record of quietly and efficiently nurturing her career as a serious actress and not in the least bit "Hollywood". However, the ensuing pearl grabbing is almost as entertaining as it is gobsmacking. Anyone would think she had posed a la 'Gypsy Rose Lee' with feather fans and nothing else.

The Daily Mail et al have their knickers in a knot because Vanity Fair was chosen to scoop them and I look forward to their future published articles on the subject. But now we have the "Perfect Brigade" pulling out all the stops to insist that this is Meghan manipulating and trying to force Harry's hand because, after all, he wouldn't really marry someone like her.

I love the behind the scenes clip of the photoshoot which showed a happy, carefree and self-confident woman and showed in action the warmth and charisma that no doubt is what attracted Harry in the first place. I wish them well and hope this "romance" ends in marriage if for no other reason than I love a happy ending.

To those who feel the article was designed to steal the Cambridge's third baby thunder, I would suggest they use their fingers to count.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:30 AM
Majesty

I havent' been posting for a while due to personal issues and real life events. Anyway, I have not formed an opinion on Meghan yet or on this interview since it is a first.

By reading the negative comments over here, that's what I think: Meghan is seen as a threaten to Kate. i don't know why that absurd idea would come up, but that's my feeling.

Be assured: if she enters the BRF, Meghan will be an asset, no more, no less. She won't be Kates' competitor, as long as, some "fans" won't pit them one against the other. Bye.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:14 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
...By reading the negative comments over here, that's what I think: Meghan is seen as a threaten to Kate. i don't know why that absurd idea would come up, but that's my feeling.
Somehow I feel that too.

It definitely is not about actual matter like precedence, but they would be compared together on dressing, jewelry, engagements, etc. etc. no matter on what aspects. Probably that's the reason. (and honestly I have already seen some people comparing them )
Old 09-06-2017, 06:15 AM
Aristocracy

I think Meghan radiated warmth and happiness in the video of the photo shoot. Her charisma reminds me a lot of Harry's and I think that they will be very good together, also in support of others and the BRF.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I havent' been posting for a while due to personal issues and real life events. Anyway, I have not formed an opinion on Meghan yet or on this interview since it is a first.

By reading the negative comments over here, that's what I think: Meghan is seen as a threaten to Kate. i don't know why that absurd idea would come up, but that's my feeling.

Be assured: if she enters the BRF, Meghan will be an asset, no more, no less. She won't be Kates' competitor, as long as, some "fans" won't pit them one against the other. Bye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
Somehow I feel that too.

It definitely is not about actual matter like precedence, but they would be compared together on dressing, jewelry, engagements, etc. etc. no matter on what aspects. Probably that's the reason. (and honestly I have already seen some people comparing them )
Which makes me wonder just why exactly Meghan would be a threat to Catherine?
What does Catherine have that must be protected at all costs (against the 'claws' of Meghan)?
Old 09-06-2017, 06:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Which makes me wonder just why exactly Meghan would be a threat to Catherine?
What does Catherine have that must be protected at all costs (against the 'claws' of Meghan)?
It's not about them trying to protect Catherine, it's about trying to protect the BRF as a whole. This is a very slippery celeb slope that H&M are pushing. High risk, low reward.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:43 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Somehow I feel that too.

I have a feeling that as time passes, what we're basically going to be seeing as far as Kate and Meghan is two women who become close as sisters-in-law. Of course the fashionistas will focus on the differences in looks, styles and who wore the most expensive piece of jewelry or who wore more on loan from the Queen (which is a no-brainer as Kate is a future Queen) but all of that is superficial and print to fill spaces.

Up until now, I've always seen Will & Kate & Harry as the Three Musketeers that are close and work side by side as a team. With Meghan possibly joining the troupe, I'll just have to rename them the Four Musketeers. Of course it'll take up most of the post just typing out The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of (Sussex or whatever) but I can definitely see where Meghan will be a positive addition to this foundation and its causes.

A lot of the focus recently has been Meghan's fit into the British scheme of things. That is kind of one sided in my opinion. A lot of Americans like myself hold the British and their royal family as something wonderful to know about and to follow and I think with Meghan joining the family, Americans will feel a closeness to the UK even more. I remember not too long ago that a man wrote to HM, The Queen pleading with her to take the US back which HM responded to very politely. Its comical in its own way but underlining it all is a realization that the British way of doing things with a constitutional monarchy may be the way to go when all is said and done.

American writes to the Queen asking her to take back control of the US because Presidential candidates 'aren’t up to par' | The Independent

There is a lot of divisiveness rampant in the States these days and a lot of racial tensions present and from an American point of view, to see divisiveness being thrown to the wind, a couple from both sides of the pond united with an aim towards making this planet better for all of us and the ability to overcome any obstacles that stand in their way gives us hope that if two people can do something like this, its possible that our societies can also overcome such issues also.

The wonderful love story of Harry and Meghan have so many positives to it if we look for them. Paramount at the top of the list is the happiness of the two people involved and everything else is secondary. The thing is that with looking for all the negatives surrounding this union, the things that could be the best things that happen since sliced bread get overlooked because of bias.

Nothing is ever unicorns and rainbows but as one of my favorite poster has for a signature with a quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln, "“If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will.” Its all how we look at something.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:57 AM
Serene Highness

Would those who are 'against' Meghan for her career and any other aspect mentioned here be overjoyed when Harry would have a Catherine-like girlfriend?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:11 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Would those who are 'against' Meghan for her career and any other aspect mentioned here be overjoyed when Harry would have a Catherine-like girlfriend?
Personally, from the get go, I thought Meghan was very much a Kate-like girlfriend. In fact, the closest thing to what William has found in Kate. Both women are self assured, comfortable in their own skins, home and family orientated and supportive.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:17 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Not really. I can't imagine Harry being attracted to a Catherine-type and I can't imagine a Catherine-type wanting to date Harry. But there are all different types. Camilla, Sophie, and Catherine are all very different yet they aren't pushing this celebrity slope onto the BRF. It's great that Harry and Meghan are in love but they will need to work for the BRF not the BRF working for them, this is the wrong celeb narrative to push. Like I said, high risk, low reward.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Personally, from the get go, I thought Meghan was very much a Kate-like girlfriend. In fact, the closest thing to what William has found in Kate. Both women are self assured, comfortable in their own skins, home and family orientated and supportive.
Me too...and I said for quite awhile before he met Meghan he needs someone like Kate and not Cressida et al and I hoped he would meet her doing some sort of charity work...that he needed to find someone from outside 'his circle'

LaRae
Old 09-06-2017, 07:29 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Not really. I can't imagine Harry being attracted to a Catherine-type and I can't imagine a Catherine-type wanting to date Harry. But there are all different types. Camilla, Sophie, and Catherine are all very different yet they aren't pushing this celebrity slope onto the BRF. It's great that Harry and Meghan are in love but they will need to work for the BRF not the BRF working for them, this is the wrong celeb narrative to push. Like I said, high risk, low reward.
Do you mind me asking, what does your "celebrity slope"/"celeb narrative" mean/refer to?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:40 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
What celebrity slope is Meghan pushing on to the BRF?
I haven't seen anything celebrity from her at all.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:48 AM
Nobility

Camilla was Charles' side piece (mistress) for years during his marriage to a popular Princess Diana yet the queen signed off on that marriage. As the future king Charles would become Defender of the Faith and Head of the Church of England. Charles could have lost the throne over her, British born or not. Camilla was branded a homewrecker and worse; and there had to do some extensive image rehab for Camilla. The point is, if royal consent was obtained for the heir apparent to marry a woman with such scandal to her name, a marriage between a soon to be sixth in line to the throne and an actress with no dirt on her should not be a problem. I believe the queen would be on shaky ground to say no to Meghan given the precedent.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Do you mind me asking, what does your "celebrity slope"/"celeb narrative" mean/refer to?
There are various threads/articles about the difference between royalty and celebrity so we shouldn't veer too off topic. But a thread like this When Did The "Celebrification" of Diana Begin? might be interesting read if you're so inclined.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
it's about trying to protect the BRF as a whole. This is a very slippery celeb slope that H&M are pushing. High risk, low reward.
AMEN.. this is the real problem,that those [largely from abroad] cannot see, or 'don't have a problem with'...

Closed Thread