The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Royal Highness

We all know this is an introduction to Meghan as a spouse, not as an actress. Try as they might, but every reader is just here for the hints on an engagement. So I'd bet there will be a ring on that finger pretty soon. But I'm not sure if an interview like this is the right step before an engagement because this is not a cover she got because of Suits.

But whatever, I also care very little. Just put a ring on it and let us watch dresses and tiaras.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh and it's also worth noting- she will be done filming for Suits this season in November, so she'll be free of filming commitments in less than three months. So far, Suits has not announced a season 8 renewal, which is unusual for this show. (In past years, it's been announced earlier.)

Not a bad timeline there- she could attend Invictus, be seen with Harry more, and this could roll out an engagement announcement in late November (after the Queen's anniversary) or December. That would set them up for a May/June wedding which would work very well if speculation is correct and Kate is due in March.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
And even if she is not the "right one" (whatever that means), it is not such a big deal as divorce is no longer a taboo among royals and Harry doesn't have to be stuck in an unhappy marriage for ever as some of his royal predecessors were. Furthermore, even if she flops as a royal wife, I don't see Meghan potentially hurting the monarch's standing as Harry is not the heir. Frankly, I was far more concerned about Kate, as she might actually become queen, and she turned out OK despite keeping a low profile (probably to avoid any mistakes).
People also needs to understand that those two women would fill two different roles, and what works in one role wouldn't necessarily work for the other. While the BRF is regal and all that, there is a fun element to it. I remember reading that Diana saw how people saw Fergie as the fun one and loved her for it, she tried to do something similar and it did not go well. Quite simply, Fergie was not the wife of the heir, and thus is seen as the casual and fun one so when she did things like that, it's expected and tolerated. But Diana was expected to be proper all the time since she was at that time the second highest ranking woman in the BRF behind the Queen Mother.

It's the same as William and Harry. William is the serious and dutiful future King, and Harry is seen as the fun and cool guy.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Oh that was amazing! She really does appear to be so happy.
She appears to be very comfortable and happy with who she is and what she's doing. Harry must be head over heels for her...and apparently that's returned!

He must be busting his buttons over those pics.

LaRae
Old 09-05-2017, 03:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I think the entire interview was a mistake but the celebrity endorsements from her famous friends and the designer name dropping ( I've been wearing Erdem for years...) made me cringe.

The closer to an engagement the more discreet i hoped she would become. Obviously not.
Yes. I agree...yuck.

I suppose the wedding guest list will be a Who's Who at least, for people who are into that sort of thing.

The lady is stunning, beyond stunning in fact! The fact that she is so comfortable in front of the cameras will only help her, imo.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 09-05-2017, 03:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
People also needs to understand that those two women would fill two different roles, and what works in one role wouldn't necessarily work for the other. While the BRF is regal and all that, there is a fun element to it. I remember reading that Diana saw how people saw Fergie as the fun one and loved her for it, she tried to do something similar and it did not go well. Quite simply, Fergie was not the wife of the heir, and thus is seen as the casual and fun one so when she did things like that, it's expected and tolerated. But Diana was expected to be proper all the time since she was at that time the second highest ranking woman in the BRF behind the Queen Mother.

It's the same as William and Harry. William is the serious and dutiful future King, and Harry is seen as the fun and cool guy.
Harry has an advantage over Andrew in the sense that, being Diana's son, the public will always feel naturally sympathetic to him for what he went through as a child . Having said that, Andrew was very popular and cool as a young man (not to mention good-looking), but being the "fun one" didn't work out well for him as he got older (for many different reasons really, which are unimportant here). The important point is though that, as the Cambridge children grow up, they will naturally become the center of attention and an aging Harry will naturally fade in comparison in the background. Marrying the "right one" might help him carve a role for himself as Edward and Sophie eventually did, while having a "Fergie" in his life might hurt him as it did to Andrew.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Yes. I agree...yuck.

I suppose the wedding guest list will be a Who's Who at least, for people who are into that sort of thing.

The lady is stunning, beyond stunning in fact!

I mean- so was William and Kate's what with the Beckhams, Elton John, Joss Stone, Rowan Atkinson, etc attending.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Royal Highness

Oh btw I highly suspect Lainey has a source within the Meghan Markle circle. Lainey and Meghan are both based in Canada and she has been pretty much spot on the entire time. I trust her standpoints more than I do most other outlets regarding this couple
Old 09-05-2017, 03:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I mean- so was William and Kate's what with the Beckhams, Elton John, Joss Stone, Rowan Atkinson, etc attending.
Yes, and I was one of the main ones online sniping about that too!

I wanted to see a ROYAL wedding and I wanted to see the Royals. But the cameras seemed to stay on the celebs.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 09-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Harry has an advantage over Andrew in the sense that, being Diana's son, the public wil always feel naturally sympathetic to him for what he went through as a child . Having said that, Andrew was very popular and cool as a young man (not to mention good-looking), but being the "fun one" didn't work out well for him as he got older (for many different reasons really, which are unimportant here). The important point is though that, as the Cambridge children grow up, they will naturally become the center of attention and an aging Harry will naturally fade in comparison in the background.
I think William and Harry has it easier on the public perception arena than a lot of other member of the BRF. They get the benefit of people's love for their grandmother's dedication and longevity along with the love and sadness people have for their mother who died too young. What Andrew lacked was really a cause that people find genuine after his military career. And of course a few scandals. Had he kept his nose clean in some of the financial transactions that's been associated with him and who he associated with, he would be a lot more popular.

I feel that Harry has that with the mental health initiative and Invictus Games. It's causes people can relate to and understand. That's why I'm glad the younger generation chose to take things slow and truly spend a lot of time working on issues they are interested in rather than just take on whatever they are given at first. I know there has been criticism of them not doing enough, but as the older generation cut back, they will have spend more time working on other projects, and I feel then those criticism would die down.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Oh btw I highly suspect Lainey has a source within the Meghan Markle circle. Lainey and Meghan are both based in Canada and she has been pretty much spot on the entire time. I trust her standpoints more than I do most other outlets regarding this couple
No idea who she is...but yes from what I've seen on here about her comments she appears to be pretty inline with how it's gone...but so have at least a few of the posters here gotten it right ...perhaps it's more about observing behavior/people as much as being on the inside.

LaRae
Old 09-05-2017, 04:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The link is pretty direct. Lainey is friends/Co-workers with Ben Mulroney. Ben is married to Jess, Meghan's best friend.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Yes, I think they are engaged too.

As for people thinking that she is not the "right one" that is for Harry to decide and it looks like he has.

They are not kids, they are in or approaching their mid-30's. If it goes well-I pray it does, I love Harry-then all will be well. If it starts off like a house on fire and then flames out after a few years of marriage a la Andrew and Sarah, well, it won't be the first time in the BRF or in any Royal family and it's still no big deal.

I dread the inevitable comparisons between the DoC and Meghan and I feel that they are unfair as each woman-even though very different-brings unique and wonderful things to the House of Windsor.

But there will be comparisons and it will get nasty, I think.
I also heard that Harry was positively beaming today or yesterday and it wasn't the baby news. It was this step and he and Meghan are taking.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
If Lainey is reporting from sources, she'll say so. For this, it's just her analysis of the situation, which many have reached the same conclusion. The only time I remember her citing a source is when the Jamaica pictures of Harry looking pissed came out. She reported that there were photos of them on the balcony of the hotel and in the ocean. Eventually the picture of them in the ocean was published and Harry logged a complaint against Mail Online with IPSO, which IPSO ruled in his favor. The other photos' existence were later confirmed by people like Richard Palmer and such since they were shopped around to different publications.

Lainey does tend to have a fascination with royal family though. She ships this couple A LOT.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Royal Highness

There is a thread buried somewhere on the forum called "Royal style vs Celebrity style".
If, as expected, Miss Markel marries Prince Harry, i have the feeling that the BRF will jump the shark once for all and it will be way more difficult to draw a line between the two.

The secret of longevity of the Monarchy (and especially for the Queen's reign), is its capacity to maintain some kind of mystic, a quiet but firm distance from the public with a deep sense of work ethic for the Nation. That's why, basically, the taxpayer is paying for it : the BRF is a working force seen as useful for the community. As such, the community is expected to give something essential for the sake of the institution : the RESPECT.

We all pretty know what happens when this stately veil is torn off, when the well run machine is shaken by scandals, turning into a soap opera and when the Royals are seen as they are : mere mortals. We must not forget all the work done after the 90's to regain this somewhat tainted reverence. Thanksfully the Queen was still there and the newbies where well briefed on the low profile, media shy "never explain, never complain". It worked fine. You call the Cambridges dull, i call them royal.

Some basically we have today a more than probable royal bride parading in designer dresses in a wold renowned glossy magazine, 20 years after the loss of a much loved but media hungry princess and the very same day of a judgement on the breach of privacy about some holidays pictures. You see coincidences, i see red flags. It's not a good move. period.

A B list actress mariying a Prince is maybe good for the cheesy side in all of us, but i have my doubts concerning some sides of the ûber touchy post brexit society and the growing "value for money" aspect of the Monarchy. Will the future Duchess of smth earn this much needed respect from the medias and more importantly from the British public ? Well this cover is defenitively not a good start.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent

The diary editor for the DM has a say. No good comes from an interview like this. Reporters are miffed the British press were excluded.

Richard Eden @richardaeden
So Prince Harry attacks the press for writing about his love life, then #MeghanMarkle gives big interview about their love life. Confused.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Gentry

Quote:
So if you're the palace what did the interview accomplish?

Explain to me why this was in anyone's best interest except Meghan Markle's

It was a bunch of come hither photos and Meghan talking about Harry.

They're geniuses over at the 'palace'
Well it's the same palace that caters to William and Kate so there you go.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
I also heard that Harry was positively beaming today or yesterday and it wasn't the baby news. It was this step and he and Meghan are taking.
Yesterday ..the link was posted in the Harry thread. I think he looked very happy but also rather irked at one point with the media and their baby questions.

LaRae
Old 09-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The Fug Girls had a really good take on all of this: https://www.gofugyourself.com/meghan...e-deal-09-2017
That is a brilliant analysis of the VF article.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The diary editor for the DM has a say. No good comes from an interview like this. Reporters are miffed the British press were excluded.

Richard Eden @richardaeden
So Prince Harry attacks the press for writing about his love life, then #MeghanMarkle gives big interview about their love life. Confused.
HA I suspect they'd been saying something entirely different if they'd been granted an interview.

Besides a child can tell you the difference in ME talking about MY relationship and the local newspaper. The confusion is contrived.

LaRae