The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #401  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslily View Post
You missed out on the numerous events Kate attended although she remained in the background.
And maybe that was fine for Kate and William. Kate might be happier being quiet in the background. Harry and Meghan are two completely different people, who are building their relationship as they are. It's actually quite boring for Kate to be brought up in this thread as the paragon of virtue, when this thread is about Harry and Meghan, not Kate. I don't want to sidetrack and start critiquing Kate here.

I'm so happy, that Harry and Meghan both seem so assured and sure in this relationship. They're in it together, it's theirs. It's not him alone and her going along with it. They're building it as it fits them, and to me it looks lovely.
__________________

  #402  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
So if you're the palace what did the interview accomplish?

Explain to me why this was in anyone's best interest except Meghan Markle's

It was a bunch of come hither photos and Meghan talking about Harry.

They're geniuses over at the 'palace'
Of course this is about Meghan Markle. You think the Palace wouldn't have any interest in branding a potential wife for the Prince, a working royal, if things are serious enough between them? Especially since she'd be likely to begin as a working royal right after honeymoon. This presented her in a controlled environment.

This isn't the same as Kate because her situation is different from Kate. Kate came from a old fashioned family in Britain. The only thing different about her compared to former royal spouses is that she's not from aristocracy background marrying who will one day be King. Because of Meghan's past work and because of some of her family's more complicated history, there has been a lot of rumors out there. If the public doesn't hear about her and see this about her when an engagement is announced, it will get out of hand. What this allows them to do is to control the narrative. When an announcement is made, it's too late to start controlling the narrative with everything that's out there, true or not.

Some are acting like this is the end of the world or that this woman will bring down the monarchy somehow. Can someone tell me what did she say that we didn't already speculate on?
__________________

  #403  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:06 PM
princesslily's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West London, United Kingdom
Posts: 182
I think this was done at the time to mark their one year since they started dating. I'm sure it was planned by her PR team and Meghan got permission from Harry.
  #404  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Elektra's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Here, France
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslily View Post
This was, in my eyes, given approval by Harry and done with her PR team.
I think the same.
And also that the reason for this article is to introduce her as a future royal wife.
Time will tell but I would bet we won't have to wait for too long...
__________________

  #405  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:12 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
We've all seen what happens when a marriage looks good on paper and all the "proper" and "suitable" boxes are checked off.
Yes I agree, and the Royal Family is still suffering the effects today from that one.
  #406  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 359
I'm thinking like Lainey, that this was the first step, first introduction, setting up a tone, and next steps will start to happen more frequently. It's no coincidence, that it was published 2 weeks before the IG.
  #407  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 332
BTW, does anyone still think she hasn't been working with Palace staff since late last year? I honestly don't think this is all of sudden for them. It might not be the that sought the opportunity, but they would take things into consideration as it comes up.

I know there were some people that was worried about her lack of understanding of protocol and culture, and etc. It's not that the rest of us didn't think that's something she'd have to overcome, but we are just confident the BRF are aware of it as well and is now offering more help than Diana and Fergie received.
  #408  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 7,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslily View Post
You're American, I'm a Brit. We are from different cultures. Don't try and insult me. Kate never talked to the press and she had it A LOT worse for several years, yet she kept her dignity.
For the most part, yes she did indeed. And even though I am an uncouth American I frankly prefer the discreet, dignified Royal girlfriend vs the... umm...other kind.

BUT...Harry has always been an iconoclast as the article says. I cannot see a guy like that with someone willing to play by the rules keep her head down and mouth shut until the day the ring is on her finger. He is different than William in many ways, the type of woman that made/makes William happy obviously won't do it for Harry.

Every one of the recent Royal princes of Harry's generation has been permitted to marry the woman of their choice. Harry should be afforded the same privilege.

She says they are happy and I believe her. And if they are happy, I am ecstatic.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
  #409  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
I'm thinking like Lainey, that this was the first step, first introduction, setting up a tone, and next steps will start to happen more frequently. It's no coincidence, that it was published 2 weeks before the IG.
I think this will be the only interview we'll see from her though until an official announcement. She had the chance to say her piece and set the record straight on some stuff. Some will be happy, some won't. That's just the way it is. They all realize not everyone will love them.
  #410  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:16 PM
xenobia's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Near the artic circle, Sweden
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslily View Post
I think this was done at the time to mark their one year since they started dating. I'm sure it was planned by her PR team and Meghan got permission from Harry.
Ok, let's assume you're right. Why would Meghan have a PR team? Because she's an actress, of course. It is her job to be out there. She has been very discrete the past year, and when she gives ONE interview she's crying for attention? Poor members of her PR team. They must have been underemployed the last year...
  #411  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:17 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
For the most part, yes she did indeed. And even though I am an uncouth American I frankly prefer the discreet, dignified Royal girlfriend vs the... umm...other kind.

BUT...Harry has always been an iconoclast as the article says. I cannot see a guy like that with someone willing to play by the rules keep her head down and mouth shut until the day the ring is on her finger. He is different than William in many ways, the type of woman that made/makes William happy obviously won't do it for Harry.

Every one of the recent Royal princes of Harry's generation has been permitted to marry the woman of their choice. Harry should be afforded the same privilege.

She says they are happy and I believe her. And if they are happy, I am ecstatic.
I'm not suggesting you are saying otherwise, but just wanted to cosign what you said, and add onto it. I don't think the only way to be dignified is to remain silent. I don't see anything Meghan did as undignified here. She didn't go into the gutter and address some of the things that's been hurled her way unfairly. Just addressed her as person. Kate had her way of handling, and Meghan has her way of handling a different situation in a different era with different ways of communication. Adaptation is necessary as even the Queen herself has learned over the course of her reign. Both are fine by me, not one or the other.
  #412  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 7,163
Of course silent is not the only way to be dignified, you are 100% correct

I am simply not accustomed to a serious Royal girlfriend on the cover of a glossy speaking openly about her relationship before the engagement is announced.

New era, new girlfriend, it's just not the style I prefer.

For the record I think Harry's lady is perfectly stunning and sounds warm, and down to earth. I can see why he chose her.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
  #413  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 8,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
BTW, does anyone still think she hasn't been working with Palace staff since late last year? I honestly don't think this is all of sudden for them. It might not be the that sought the opportunity, but they would take things into consideration as it comes up.

I know there were some people that was worried about her lack of understanding of protocol and culture, and etc. It's not that the rest of us didn't think that's something she'd have to overcome, but we are just confident the BRF are aware of it as well and is now offering more help than Diana and Fergie received.
With Harry being born into the royal fishbowl with all the contingent departments that surround that fishbowl, I think with Harry being so cautious about this relationship, his determination to keep it as under the radar as much as possible, he's always had the support of the royal departments at his disposal. Very cautiously, both Harry and Meghan have probably worked with the PR office, the royal protection service and whatever else they needed to keep this relationship going as smoothly as possible.

Chances are too that what we, the public, see and know about the workings behind the scenes of this relationship is really a very small percentage of what is really happening. This relationship has been ongoing almost a year now and it would be foolish to think that Meghan would still be quite in the dark about how the BRF operates.

As stated before, most likely concrete wedding plans are already in the works and being set up. It won't happen overnight or come as a complete surprise to anyone associated with the palace when these two people publicly announce their engagement.

The public is the last to know and know the least about how things really are when it comes to members of the British royal family's private lives.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #414  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Of course silent is not the only way to be dignified, you are 100% correct

I am simply not accustomed to a serious Royal girlfriend on the cover of a glossy speaking openly about her relationship before the engagement is announced.

New era, new girlfriend, it's just not the style I prefer.

For the record I think Harry's lady is perfectly stunning and sounds warm, and down to earth. I can see why he chose her.
Oh, absolutely. And really, when was the last time we had a royal girlfriend that's a working actress in her own right that has done photoshoots and interviews before? Last famous girlfriend we had was Koo Stark, but times were different and certainly, she was involved in more than shows that are appropriate for TV during prime time.
  #415  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:29 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,335
IF this is Harry's work, he is ever more clearly 'his Mothers Son' and we all know how her 'talent' with the media went...

William is WAY more savvy...
  #416  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
So if you're the palace what did the interview accomplish?

Explain to me why this was in anyone's best interest except Meghan Markle's

It was a bunch of come hither photos and Meghan talking about Harry.

They're geniuses over at the 'palace'
I don't think KP always makes the right choices. That said, this seems right in line with what seems to be their general, overall strategy of trying to exert some control over the narrative of Harry and William's lives by way of occasionally granting tightly-controlled interviews. I don't think that method works as well as they want it to, but it's certainly the approach to which they've seemed committed for the past few years.

Also, I would hardly call those photos "come-hither," but I do think Megan probably would have been wise in some of those shots to pull back a touch. There is a fine line between an "I'm an actress and I'm working it" photo shoot and the more fashion-y of the photo spreads that royals have done (Diana's with Mario Testino, Kate's for British Vogue) which work best when the posing looks relaxed and natural. For me, she struck that tone well in a few of the photos but landed on the wrong side of the line in the ones where she's wearing ball gown and the white, unbuttoned shirt. In either of those, just leaning over a little less (or buttoning a couple of buttons on that shirt) would have made a world of difference in tone. That said, I thought the photo where she's in the long jacked and the close-up in the black top toed the line really well without being boring or stilted.
  #417  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 8,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Oh, absolutely. And really, when was the last time we had a royal girlfriend that's a working actress in her own right that has done photoshoots and interviews before? Last famous girlfriend we had was Koo Stark, but times were different and certainly, she was involved in more than shows that are appropriate for TV during prime time.
Well... there was Cressida Bonas that did aspire to being a professional in the entertainment business. Meghan just happened to accomplish quite a bit on her own, in her own way before she even set eyes on Harry.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #418  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:34 PM
princesslily's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West London, United Kingdom
Posts: 182
Have you read the Enews articles? Who do you think has been writing those?
  #419  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Alisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,037
This is significant. A major step that will lead to the engagement!!
__________________
Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. ---Phaedrus
  #420  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Well... there was Cressida Bonas that did aspire to being a professional in the entertainment business. Meghan just happened to accomplish quite a bit on her own, in her own way before she even set eyes on Harry.
Oh, that's right! I forgot about Cressida, but did she actually do anything worth noting before they started dating? I think part of her issue was that she wanted her career to take off rather than settle down right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslily View Post
Have you read the Enews articles? Who do you think has been writing those?
Which ones are you talking about? They are reporting what everyone else is reporting today, which is about the Vanity Fair article. As for the old articles, I'm assuming Enews and whoever is credited with wrote it. Unless you are trying to say something else?
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)
Lady Gudgeon
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Harry and Meghan: The Love Story" eya Royal Library 20 09-13-2017 04:21 PM




Popular Tags
albania best outfit birthday carl gustaf crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion current events denmark fashion poll general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie's fashion & style infanta leonor infanta sofia king abdullah in new zealand king felipe king felipe vi king juan carlos letizia monarchy multiple births new zealand nobel november 2016 october 2016 october and november 2016 picture of the week picture of the week december prince charles prince leka princess marie daytime outfit princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess of asturias princess sofia queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia gala dresses queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen mathilde visits jordan queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania daytime fashion queen rania fashion queen silvia queen sofia shaikh zayed bin hamdan bin zayed al nahyan spanish state visit to japan state visit state visit to spain succession sweden swedish royal family thailand the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara zog


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises