The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I think they will do the balcony kiss regardless where they marry...that has kinda become a thing!

LaRae

Old 09-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think they will do the balcony kiss regardless where they marry...that has kinda become a thing!

LaRae
I don't think Sophie and Edward did since it was at Windsor? Just a carriage ride.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Aristocracy

I'm probably the only one believes the royal press team had nothing to do with that Vanity Fair interview, only Harry did. Either that, or they are playing with fire to show her as unsuitable.

1. She looks naked on the front cover. In the video, her buttons are half unbuttoned! She's looking at the camera trying to look sexy and playing with her hair. Compare this to Kate's Vogue editorial which was approved by the Royal press team. No way is the royal press team behind this!!!!

2. She's talking about her relationship with Harry. Obviously she got permission from Harry to do this.

How is this approved by the royal press team and please don't give me proof from what a certain Sun reporter says? As a GF, I don't believed she would need permission from the Royal press team. They don't own her.

I'm absolutely shocked with this, I thought she was learning to become discreet like other members previously said, but yet again she has to voice her opinions and release it just when the Cambridges announce baby news.

She's let it be known, she's certain they will marry. So either he's proposed or she knows it's in the bag. I found her context just like her past interviews rather arrogant.

Bad move...BUT an engagement is coming and I don't believe anyone can deny Harry's choice within his family.

She's going to be a nightmare IMO

Shocking, absolutely shocking move. This just fed more of the negative fire! How is this a good move PR wise? And I work in PR!
Old 09-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I think Harry will want her to have the best wedding possible as a way of saying that she is fully a part of the Firm and not someone that deserves a "lesser" wedding. Just my thoughts. Personally, I hope they have a huge Abbey wedding with carriages, kiss on the balcony...the works. I want a big royal wedding.

Me too!
No matter how pretty St. George's Chapel is, it is not on the same level as the Abbey.

If you're going to have a Royal Wedding, do it right! Forget the low-key stuff and have a ROYAL wedding!!
Old 09-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Nobility

Meghan Markle says she is in love with boyfriend Prince Harry in Vanity Fair cover profile

Lainey's take on this interview, and I agree with her completely.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslily View Post
I'm probably the only one believes the royal press team had nothing to do with that Vanity Fair interview, only Harry did. Either that, or they are playing with fire to show her as unsuitable.

1. She looks naked on the front cover. In the video, her buttons are half unbuttoned! She's looking at the camera trying to look sexy and playing with her hair. Compare this to Kate's Vogue editorial which was approved by the Royal press team. No way is the royal press team behind this!!!!

2. She's talking about her relationship with Harry. Obviously she got permission from Harry to do this.

How is this approved by the royal press team and please don't give me proof from what a certain Sun reporter says? As a GF, I don't believed she would need permission from the Royal press team. They don't own her.

I'm absolutely shocked with this, I thought she was learning to become discreet like other members previously said, but yet again she has to voice her opinions and release it just when the Cambridges announce baby news.

She's let it be known, she's certain they will marry. So either he's proposed or she knows it's in the bag. I found her context just like her past interviews rather arrogant.

Bad move...BUT an engagement is coming and I don't believe anyone can deny Harry's choice within his family.

Shocking, absolutely shocking move.
I can't even start with the other issues, but how is it that she has to voice her opinions and release it just when the Cambridges announce baby news? This is all scheduled well in advance. I highly doubt she knew about the baby (or Kate and William for that matter) when she did the interview in June. And the baby news was released prematurely because of Kate's condition and the fact that she had to cancel engagements. Not the whole world is about the Cambridges. Or out to get them.

BTW, weren't you saying she should be introduced to the public before an engagement? Got your wish, why are you still upset?
Old 09-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Aristocracy

Yes introduce to the public like the way the other GFs have been introduced. When have I ever said to discuss her relationship with Harry and pose for Vanity Fair in this manner? And no I am not upset, just shocked how tacky this was!
Old 09-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Nobility

I read the article and I think it is a good article. I was very surprised to see it, but I think it was done because of all the intrusive press attention, a lot of it negative press attention. It seems that it was done to address public interest with some simple answers about who Meghan is and how she and Harry met so that hopefully some of the speculation will stop. Unfortunately, now there will be stories about how "shocked" the Queen is over this and how now she will "never" give her approval to a marriage. Personally, I can't begin to imagine that this was done without the Queen's approval. Unfortunately, no matter what H & M do, there will still be people who are unhappy and I think they both realize that.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:

Shocking, absolutely shocking move.
I take it you won't be among us as we discuss an upcoming wedding and will not watch Harry and Meghan's wedding on TV or be in the crowds as I see you're in the London area because you disapprove so strongly about Meghan.

Do you have pearls that you clutch when a bit of skin is shown? I've seen Kate wearing some pretty daring decolletage over the years and no one fainted or reached for the smelling salts. I found the pictures of Meghan presented in the VF article to be very professionally well done. She's a beautiful woman both inside and outside from what I know about her.

Ah well, we all have our opinions on things. I just totally disagree with your negativity about what is right and proper for Harry. We've all seen what happens when a marriage looks good on paper and all the "proper" and "suitable" boxes are checked off. I look at Harry and Meghan as real people with a real relationship between them that they're over the moon about. That's what really matters in the long range of things.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Aristocracy

That VF article definitely felt to me much more like a Will & Harry/KP press office style interview than a celebrity profile. It was much, much more limited and controlled than what I've come to expect from profiles of actors. She really barely said anything at all! And kudos to her for managing to come off as very warm and welcoming without giving the interviewer anything beyond "don't you love the ingredients I found for this lunch I made you" and "I'm very happy with my boyfriend."

Add me to the list of people shaking their heads at how quickly some folks here have spun from huffing and puffing about how shameful it is that the couple "hide from the public" or keep their relationship "secret" to now calling a very controlled and limited interview "attention-seeking."

And as for it being not in the BRF's supposed tradition of being ultra-private...that might be an accurate thing to say in a pre-Elizabeth era, but since the 1960s this family has repeatedly taken steps to open up more and more. QEII has never given an interview, true, but once she saw that it would be good PR to open up she found a way to sidestep the custom she'd established by periodically allowing documentary film crews to shadow the family. And since they first did that (back when Charles and Anne were still teens/young adults, mind you), they've continually opened up a little more and a little more and a little more yet. Future spouses have seemed to follow the lead of their royal boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance in their dealing with the press, however the trend of the moment was for that segment of the BRF to deal with things. When Charles and Di got together, he was still in his phase of lightheartedly chatting with whatever press were following him, and you see her doing the same in video of papparazi approaching her on the street. When William and Kate were dating, he was very much in a mode of letting the photographers see what he was up to but not really speaking to the press at all and she followed suit. Now Harry and the rest of the KP crew are in a phase of trying to balance a tight lock on their everyday life with periodic, highly-focused interviews with carefully chosen media outlets, and this seems in line with that strategy.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Yes introduce to the public like the way the other GFs have been introduced. When have I ever said to discuss her relationship with Harry and pose for Vanity Fair in this manner?
You have an odd view of sexy. Anyways, I don't see how others have been "introduced"? They were all caught on camera unexpectedly (including Kate) and just decided to go about their lives afterwards. No introduction as girlfriend to the public. Everyone just assumed.

BTW, just like to point out that Kate wore a very low cut dress to a state dinner. I didn't see anything wrong and thought that was very interesting look on her (different than her usual safe choices), but really this isn't that far from that. And much more appropriate place to show a little bit of skin if you ever plan to.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Do you have pearls that you clutch when a bit of skin is shown?
You're American, I'm a Brit. We are from different cultures. Don't try and insult me. Kate never talked to the press and she had it A LOT worse for several years, yet she kept her dignity.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
The entire thing wasn't a disaster. It was one comment that was taken out of context. I hardly would call that "master mind".
I agree now about the comment being taken out of context. At the time I was aghast at it and even expressed it on this site, but now I have a different view.
I have been reading some books on the royal family. I just finished a couple on Queen Mary and it was said that upon King Edward VIII's abdication, King George VI broke down in tears at the thought that he was now king. It is a huge responsibility and the person it falls on really does not have a choice but to make the best of it, unless they want to cause a constitutional crisis. Harry was just being honest.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Aristocracy

You missed out on the numerous events Kate attended although she remained in the background.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent

So if you're the palace what did the interview accomplish?

Explain to me why this was in anyone's best interest except Meghan Markle's

It was a bunch of come hither photos and Meghan talking about Harry.

They're geniuses over at the 'palace'
Old 09-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Aristocracy

This was, in my eyes, given approval by Harry and done with her PR team.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You missed out on the numerous events Kate attended although she remained in the background.
William didn't have many official royal events in those days. She went to polo and the concert for Diana. Meghan isn't always in Britain, so she hasn't gone to nearly as many polo games. There were in general a lot more unofficial events that William went to that is no longer available to the boys as often today as it was back then. Part of it because they weren't working royals then.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Shocking, absolutely shocking move. This just fed more of the negative fire! How is this a good move PR wise? And I work in PR!
1, I believe she is wearing the same evening gown/cocktail dress on the front cover as in the full length photograph--it is one shouldered. This seems like a very considered article--I don't think Harry and Meghan decided to do this on their own.
2. Absolutely, I think this is the first official step to introduce Meghan as part of Harry's life (maybe the 2nd step if we count the Press Release from KP last November.) No, she wouldn't need "permission" to do the interview but since she has not done any interviews since the news broke last year, I doubt she would go rogue now.
This was not an indiscreet interview--all she said is she and Harry love each other--that's it. She didn't release it to compete with the Cambridge baby news. It was already scheduled to be released by Vanity Fair--the Cambridge news was unexpected.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Yet again? It's included in her profession to talk about herself. She's an actor, and was famous in her own right before she met this english dude called Harry. The way she has kept things private in the last year is actually quite strange, considering she's still working and is also well known.

About the timing: The interview is from june. I don't think Meghan knew that Kate was pregnant. I don't think Kate herself knew, and she possibly wasn't even pregnant. I assume that they made a deal that the interview wouldn't be released before the anniversary of Dianas death - a date they all knew about in advance. So what do you suggest they should have done? Asked VF to withdraw the interview because Meghans possible sister-in-law turned out to be pregnant?
Old 09-05-2017, 01:00 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
You're American, I'm a Brit. We are from different cultures. Don't try and insult me. Kate never talked to the press and she had it A LOT worse for several years, yet she kept her dignity.
You do have a point there but if I remember correctly, it was you, a Brit, that believed that Prince Charles was financed by the taxpayer and me, an American, that presented you with the cold, hard facts that he is not.

I do not try to insult anyone or denigrate anyone or their opinions but sometimes things people say just warrant a comment or three.