The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Folks, royal engagements can be long. Peter and Autumn announced their engagement July 2007. They didn’t get married until May 2008. So, Royal engagement and wedding timetables can vary, not necessarily due at a short timetable.
As other posters have pointed out: this is different. Anything can happen between now and the birth of Cambridge baby #3.

I believe Harkle are already engaged, and probably they are in no hurry to make an official announcement. They could do so before Christmas, or not. The only thing the media frenzy might cause, is for Harkle to pull back even further. They are on their own timetable and probably, as Meghan told us in the VF article: "This is our time. That's what makes it special..." They may wish to continue holding onto their undercover privacy for a little while longer.

I doubt there will be a long engagement. In fact, they may wish to enjoy Christmas together privately, and then go on another 3-week vacation in January (perhaps back to Norway or somewhere else special). They could make an official announcement around Valentine's Day, or even wait until early March. Then the Cambridge baby watch would ensue and detract a bit of attention away from Harkle (which they would probably welcome). If H&M announce in February or March of next year, it will give Meghan and her dogs time to settle in, wedding plans a chance to be further mapped-out, and the lead-up time to the actual ceremony blessfully shortened (perhaps purposefully in order to try and avoid as much media over-excitement and saturation as possible).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Royalist View Post
Well you've got to admit if the two actually do get married it could potentially spice things up for the House of Windsor.
I get where you're coming from, in a good way. Meghan's nickname after all, is Nutmeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The BRF are neither a recipe, nor a Soap Opera.. thank you very much !
Laughter is the Best Medicine.

The British royal familly are larger than life, and they live their lives in a fishbowl, so there will always be aspects of larger than life drama that gets played out. The difference these days is that W&H are maintaining firm control over their scripts. There will be no 'Diana-like' media hounding. It won't be tolerated. There will be no intimate revelations of epic proportions. Both of these young men are devoted to, protective of and supportive of their partners for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I agree with you, wyevale. The last thing the "Firm" and the monarchy needs is spicing up. I think we had our fill of that during the 90s.

Its best if things continue to work and run on an even keel. This isn't to say that watching Harry and Meghan together in action isn't going to be a pure joy but I don't see them really deviating from the norm.
See my above comments. Things being spiced-up by 'Nutmeg' and 'Ginger' Harry does not mean they will be deviating too far from normal royal protocol. They are in the process of making a very special private recipe cake with some delightfully spicy ingredients. However, they won't be sharing hardly any of that cake with the public. Much less should we expect to get our fill of any tiny morsels they may tempt us with. Their spicy new cake is mostly for them to enjoy, and for us to ponder at a mouthwatering distance. Harkle have been constantly surprising us throughout their delicious courtship, in a good way. The difference from 90s C&D is 'true love,' maturity, and a spirit of adventure/ genuine caring passed down from Diana, which Harry & Meghan both embody.

As well, Harry & Meg will surely work with Will & Kate as a tag team in support of the Prince of Wales when he becomes King. And as we know, King Charles III is planning on launching some rule-breaking changes and new recipes of his own. He will need the strong support of not only Camilla, but of both his sons and their wives, if the modern British monarchy is to successfully transition into a new age.

Oh oops, I think I just coined a new nickname for H&M: 'Ginger & Nutmeg,' to go along with 'Harkle Sparkle.'

Old 11-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
is pretty harsh IMO.
Bit of a 'sense of humour failure' IMO. If you are really so unable to detect 'tongue in cheek', i'm sorry !

Old 11-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
For the most part, I believe that any wedding between Harry and Meghan will be on par with what is expected of a British royal wedding.

Just as Harry will be adopting Meghan's two furbabies, Bogart and Guy, Meghan will also be adopting the ways of the family she is marrying into. Harry would move heaven and earth I think before he would do anything (consciously) to disappoint his Granny.
Diana was an aristocrat born into a family of courtiers, who had actually been courtiers for centuries. She also grew up, to quote her own words, in a "big house" where she was fairly acquainted with the lifestyle of the British upper class. Still, she had an awful time adjusting to the "ways of the Royal Family" and pretty much didn't get along well with anybody in the family. I don't know why everybody here seems to assume that Meghan, who comes from a much more diverse culture and family background, will adjust so quickly to the "ways of the family" and click instantly with everybody. To be frank, I am not even sure she will feel comfortable with British culture, much less royal life.

As a plus, Meghan has the advantage of being an actress, which means that, given a script, she is professionally trained to play the role. Real life is not aTV show though and Meghan seems like someone who is very determined to be herself, and not a made-up public persona, in real life.

PS: This is not supposed to be an anti-Meghan post. I am just trying to see things realistically here.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think the comparison of Diana having trouble adopting and adapting to the royal way of life and Meghan being able to are like comparing apples and oranges. Sure, Diana grew up in the "cultural" background whereas Meghan didn't but one has to admit that Meghan doesn't seem to have people problems or the emotional and mental issues that Diana had going into marriage.

We really shouldn't be comparing Meghan with anyone else at all. She's her own unique self and, as I believe, over her lifetime has been able to adapt to things that come her way. Some people can and do take on a learning experience of something new with gusto and an eager willingness and by all indications that I've seen, Meghan is such a person.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 11-25-2017, 04:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

...and the BRF is not the same as it was in the early 80's. Plus Harry is not the heir.

LaRae
Old 11-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
...and the BRF is not the same as it was in the early 80's. Plus Harry is not the heir.

LaRae
Have the "family ways" really changed that much ?

As for Meghan, I don't follow her life so I have no idea what life "issues" she might have, but I am pretty sure there must be some, as it is the case in fact with most normal people. Harry certainly seems to be (or to have been) very troubled, so that is something which, for better or worse, he will bring into his marriage (and also one of the probable causes of former girlfriends of his distancing themselves from him in the past).
Old 11-25-2017, 05:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Have the "family ways" really changed that much ?

As for Meghan, I don't follow her life so I have no idea what life "issues" she might have, but I am pretty sure there must be some, as it is the case in fact with most normal people. Harry certainly seems to be (or to have been) very troubled, so that is something which, for better or worse, he will bring into his marriage (and also one of the probable causes of former girlfriends of his distancing themselves from him in the past).

I think they have changed quite a bit. We see that in how things are being done now.

Everyone has baggage. It's how you deal with it that matters. Harry seems to have made a strong effort to deal with his own demons. I don't know of former girlfriend distancing themselves from him for any other reasons than the natural ones that exist after a couple separate.

We don't really know about Meghan's first marriage, what the factors were.

LaRae
Old 11-25-2017, 05:05 PM
Nobility

I think it’s fine to be realistic and say that there will be a learning curve. Moving to a new country and representing the people there is no cake walk.

Meghan will have some difficulties I’m sure but she’ll get through it and I’m sure the royal family will be there to help along the way plus Harry. Acting is not the same as being a royal. I think it’s an overstatement to argue that somehow it gives her a huge advantage over other royal spouses especially since she will have some disadvantages that others may not have had. She’s not the ‘perfect’ royal bride. There is none. I think we should all be able to talk about all of it without getting upset or defensive or comparison to other royals. Either way it’ll be fun and interesting to watch.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Aristocracy

The truth is, we really won't know how Meghan will take to royal life until it happens. We have some indicators of how she has handled other things in her life, that shed a light on how she tackles challenges. But we won't really know until it happens. And it doesn't help comparing her to other royal brides because she is not like other royal brides, especially in the British Royal Family. We'll just have to be ok with not knowing. As was said, there is no perfect royal bride, because even the ones who seemed perfect on paper, ended up having problems. I think what a lot of people have been arguing, is that based on what we know of Meghan, it would seem she would have the capacity to be successful in the BRF. But everyone knows, there are no guarantees.

Also I wanted to mention something about the whole living together before engagement issue. Another reason I don't see that being feasible, is I can see some Brits having an issue with "just a girlfriend", a foreign one at that, living in a tax payer funded home (Kensington Palace) AND not supporting herself. I think people view visiting as one thing, but actually setting up house and living there as something else. I was just poking around a few places on the net and saw this issue brought up a few times. Not to mention I think it would put her in an unflattering light. (Not fairly), but women aren't judged on the same standards.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliec76 View Post
Also I wanted to mention something about the whole living together before engagement issue. Another reason I don't see that being feasible, is I can see some Brits having an issue with "just a girlfriend", a foreign one at that, living in a tax payer funded home (Kensington Palace) AND not supporting herself.
Meghan is financially independant. She could easily live without income for several years, depending how she lives. And as for living with Harry in a 'tax payer funded home', that home is Harry's and he is free to live as he chooses. I doubt taxpayers have any say, or any right to have a say, in who stays at Harry's house at his invitation. That is a line I don't think would be crossed. I know it's been brought up here but it sounds pretty bogus to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliec76 View Post
I think people view visiting as one thing, but actually setting up house and living there as something else. I was just poking around a few places on the net and saw this issue brought up a few times. Not to mention I think it would put her in an unflattering light. (Not fairly), but women aren't judged on the same standards.
It's a non-issue, brought up by malcontents imo. No one sensible would make an issue of a man and woman cohabiting before marriage at this point. In fact, not to cohabit would raise more questions methinks. And where they do that cohabiting is no one's business really. Harry's digs are part of his 'pay' being royal. I don't think there is any condition, implied or otherwise, stating that he cannot have 'overnight guests of the opposite sex unrelated to him' for a specified period of time. That sounds gruesomely archaic to me.

The real reason they should become engaged (imo) is because of the protection it would afford Meghan. On reflection, and considering what has been said here, Meghan needs to be protected, and that is what an official engagement would give her.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Meghan is financially independant. She could easily live without income for several years, depending how she lives. And as for living with Harry in a 'tax payer funded home', that home is Harry's and he is free to live as he chooses. I doubt taxpayers have any say, or any right to have a say, in who stays at Harry's house at his invitation. That is a line I don't think would be crossed. I know it's been brought up here but it sounds pretty bogus to me.

It's a non-issue, brought up by malcontents imo. No one sensible would make an issue of a man and woman cohabiting before marriage at this point. In fact, not to cohabit would raise more questions methinks. And where they do that cohabiting is no one's business really. Harry's digs are part of his 'pay' being royal. I don't think there is any condition, implied or otherwise, stating that he cannot have 'overnight guests of the opposite sex unrelated to him' for a specified period of time. That sounds gruesomely archaic to me.

The real reason they should become engaged (imo) is because of the protection it would afford Meghan. On reflection, and considering what has been said here, Meghan needs to be protected, and that is what an official engagement would give her.
Devil's advocate but technically Nott's is not his own home. It is a royal residence. And he lives there rent free as he is a working royal.

But that doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to live with his girlfriend there. Sophie lived with Edward. Kate lived with William. So wouldn't be the first. And if they are in no rush to marry, no reason Meghan should not live with him in his cottage.

But Meghan cant simply live there for years not working, even if she can afford to do so. As a non citizen she doesn't have that luxury. Unless she plans to be a snow bird, and live there for six months, go home for a few months, and then back again for a few years. She cant just take up residence in the UK because she has the money to do so.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Meghan is financially independant. She could easily live without income for several years,

It's a non-issue, brought up by malcontents imo. No one sensible would make an issue...
Wouldn't make a difference to some-just that she isn't working now.

"No one sensible" --you are assuming things not in evidence of many people, especially readers of the tabloids.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Devil's advocate but technically Nott's is not his own home. It is a royal residence. And he lives there rent free as he is a working royal.
Exactly, it's 'rent-free' as part of his 'pay' as a working royal. It's a benefit, and it's 'his home' as long as he has the benefit. JMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
But Meghan cant simply live there for years not working, even if she can afford to do so. As a non citizen she doesn't have that luxury. Unless she plans to be a snow bird, and live there for six months, go home for a few months, and then back again for a few years. She cant just take up residence in the UK because she has the money to do so.
It's not an impediment. Meghan could 'work' at any number of things if that was deemed necessary. There are countless ways around this (apparent) issue, as people are living in the UK precisely because they do have tons and tons of money and do not need to 'work'. JMO.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Exactly, it's 'rent-free' as part of his 'pay' as a working royal. It's a benefit, and it's 'his home' as long as he has the benefit. JMO.

It's not an impediment. Meghan could 'work' at any number of things if that was deemed necessary. There are countless ways around this (apparent) issue, as people are living in the UK precisely because they do have tons and tons of money and do not need to 'work'. JMO.
For Meghan to 'work' she needs a VISA. Even to volunteer.

I was replying to your comment that she had enough money not to work. If she was a British citizen that would be true. But a tourist cant just stay in the UK as long as their money lasts. There is a limit, six months to be exact.

If you have any information, on how one lives indefinitely in the UK without being a citizen or a visa, I would love a link. As I try and respect opinions, but I really don't see where is yours is based on any realistic foundation.

Perhaps she can land a work visa. But then she wont be 'living off her money' as you suggested.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Wouldn't make a difference to some-just that she isn't working now.

"No one sensible" --you are assuming things not in evidence of many people, especially readers of the tabloids.
Exactly! I think these things aren't any issue for all the reasons discussed here. They make perfect commom sense. But as we know, sense isn't very common.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
... Everyone has baggage. It's how you deal with it that matters. Harry seems to have made a strong effort to deal with his own demons. I don't know of former girlfriend distancing themselves from him for any other reasons than the natural ones that exist after a couple separate.

We don't really know about Meghan's first marriage, what the factors were.
I completely agree with you re your post. Obviously, we are all human and humans have failings. The question as you point out, is how individuals are able to deal with what happens in their lives, good and bad. Just as important is what kind of start we each get growing up. From all accounts, Meghan had an excellent start because she was nurtured and given the wings to fly by both of her parents. Their divorce did not harshly impact Meghan's personality development and stability growing up, because her parents remained friendly and on the same page regarding raising her and being devoted to her. In response to comments by some other posters: That scenario is completely unlike what happened to Lady Diana when her parents divorced.

As far as Meghan's first marriage, here's my take based on what's available that we do know: Meghan was with her former husband, Trevor Engelson for 7 years prior to their marriage in 2011. In addition, she had landed the role in Suits after an audition right around the time of her marriage. Meghan initially met Engelson in her early twenties. Surely she must have been taken with him and his burgeoning success as a film director. Engelson is five years older than Meghan. I think very often it can make something of a difference re how long the partnership will last being in your early twenties and dating a guy who is five years older with some experience and budding stature in the world of Hollywood.

Engelson and Meghan must have met sometime around 2004 when she was 22 or 23 and he was 27 or 28. Meghan played a cameo role as a bartender in Engelson's film, Remember Me circa 2009-10, which starred Robert Pattinson. That could have been Engelson's ticket to even bigger projects, but it doesn't seem as if he was able to segue that earlier opportunity into greater success in Hollywood. Meanwhile, on the relationship front after 7 years, some couples are so used to being together they may decide to take the next logical step of marriage, when maybe their relationship has already run its course. Perhaps both parties can become so comfortable with a 7-year relationship that it's difficult to cut the cord.

Obviously, it didn't help their newly minted marriage when Meghan had to relocate to Toronto for filming of the Suits pilot, immediately after they wed. In the television industry, there's no guarantee that a pilot will be picked up, much less that it will become a steadily increasing success after being picked up. The ingredients for the delectable series, Suits, melded well together, thus feeding and nurturing the careers of all involved from the beginning.

Toronto is a cosmopolitan city, very different from L.A. It's also part of the British commonwealth. Meghan slowly began making new friends and gaining fame locally. Fairly soon, she became tight with stylist, Jessica Mulroney, the daughter-in-law of the former Prime Minister, Brian Mulroney. She eventually also became friendly with current Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, and his wife, Sophie. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Meghan began making a name for herself in fashion, beauty, and entertainment in Hollywood, Toronto, Chicago, and in charitable/ cultural circles in Toronto, New York, and beyond.

So after two years of trying to keep her marriage with Engelson together, Meghan and Engelson called it quits in 2013 amid unfounded rumors that she was seeing someone else in Toronto. Actually, she was hanging out with a lot of interesting people in Toronto, including her castmates, local sports stars, designer friends and beauty specialists in Toronto, New York, Chicago, and Miami. She also had friends based in London and in Hollywood where her Suits success was garnering her increasing buzz. She may have met Markus Anderson of Soho House around 2013 or 2014. And during 2014 to 2015, her passion project, The Tig, began flourishing and adding to her success, to her circle of influential movers and shakers, and to her ever growing career opportunities. Also, most importantly for Meghan, she had achieved prominence and developed a platform from which she could effectively give back to others.

Therefore, even before moving to Toronto, it seems likely that Meghan had already nearly outgrown her relationship with Engelson, at the very start of their marriage. After having the world open up for her in new and exciting ways in Toronto, it's no wonder that Meghan's long distance marriage (which was probably hanging by a thread for two years) broke up. Her life and career possibilities quite frankly grew beyond Engelson's. To boot even now, Engelson finds himself trying to hustle up new projects while teaching and networking. Apparently, he has also been doing some work in television.

With Meghan's unexpected worldwide fame ratcheted up by suddenly being connected with British royalty, Engelson is attempting to cash in on their former relationship, which maybe says something about his character. He was obviously not the 'keeper' kind of guy. Not for the Meghan whose life changed and expanded into limitless possibilities soon after she landed the 'Rachel Zane' role in Suits, and the show's success took off like a rocket. It's not the 'success' that made Meghan. It's Meghan who took the opportunities that came her way and made her own success, and then some.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:05 PM
Commoner

As in Thanksgiving? This doesn't make sense. I realize the world doesn't revolve around American holidays, but still....
Old 11-25-2017, 08:15 PM
Royal Highness

Yeah, I don't think this writer realizes that St. Paul's Cathedral has a seating capacity of 3,500 and Westminster Abbey holds between 1,500 to 2,000. I think the options are between WA and St. George's Chapel Windsor, or another location that might surprise. However, I would be shocked if St. Paul's Cathedral is chosen. It's been written that W&K wanted a scaled-back wedding, as to the reason why they did not choose St. Paul's Cathedral for their nuptials.

It will be interesting if there's any truth to all the speculation and walking back on wedding announcement predictions. If the press was told that the BP staff meeting had to do with the Queen's schedule, then it makes sense it could have been related to her future shedule in connection with H&M's wedding plans.

I agree with @Osipi and others that the OTT frenzy in the press will only lead to BP, KP and Harkle pulling back. They've got plenty of time still before the Christmas holidays are in full swing. I had thought initially that Harry was eager to announce prior to Christmas so that Meghan could officially accompany him to Sandringham for the royals' traditional celebrations. But I hedged in thinking that she could still accompany him there and then stay somewhere locally with friends of Harry's. I imagined that they might wish to stay under the radar a bit longer.

Now perhaps with Meghan's Suits commitments at an end, H&M are both ready to take the full plunge into the public sphere. Seemingly for Harry, Meghan's safety and protection is also at issue with her move to London. As well, Ginger may be tired of being accused of 'hiding' Nutmeg. They are ready to spice things up in full view, but the cake is still in the oven, and even when it's done, we still aren't going to be able to fully satisfy our palates. The more tempting the morsels, apparently the more our appetites grow. H&M are calling the shots though (doing the serving from oven to table). They may give us something substantial and nourishing, and then put us all on a strict diet, especially the friggin' tabloids!

I would like to see if Harry allows the official engagement interviewer to ask him whether he first set eyes on Meghan while watching Suits.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Times article published at 12:01am - 20 min ago:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...ting-66bmvlw8x
Quote:
Downing Street is confident the announcement will come soon, perhaps even tomorrow, while sources at the palace are equally positive that it was never going to be made last week and nor will it be any time soon.
Quote:
A source told The Sunday Times that No 10 had been “primed” for the announcement on the day after the chancellor’s budget. Yet royal sources “strongly deny” any suggestion that an announcement was planned for last week.
The Times is a pretty serious newspaper, but I take all this with a large pinch of salt.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:26 PM
Aristocracy

That article made no sense whatsoever.

Closed Thread