The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 10:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Extremely well said [@Ish] and Meghan is in the position of *Be d*mned it you do and be d*mned if you don't..........nothing is ever going to please everyone here or elsewhere. Just glad these 2 young people could care less what anyone thinks for they keep on doing their own thing without asking permission of anyone.
Indeed. H&M are keeping their privacy underwraps and doing their best to enjoy being with each other while balancing their work lives and high profile stature. And they also have tightly secure strategies in place to tame the tabs and paps the best they can.

Here's additional media speculation regarding the rollout of a possible engagement:
What to expect if Prince Harry and Meghan Markle become engaged | Lifestyle from CTV News

Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
He refused to allow Grace to return to acting, which would not have been completely out of the question during the early 1960s had Rainier been reasonable and understanding about Grace's sense of loss regarding her acting career. In any case, I've read that Grace was more or less trying to please her parents and obtain her Daddy's approval by marrying Rainier. Her 'Daddy issues' is also probably the reason why Grace was romantically involved with so many older men prior to her marriage. Rainier and Grace barely knew each other when they married, so their swift courtship reality and age difference is somewhat more similar to Diana/Charles, and barely similar to Meghan/Harry.

I have to disagree- I don't see how Grace could realistically have returned to acting, even though she missed it. Just as it is not realistic for Meghan to continue acting if she and Harry marry.

Rainier was only 6 years older than Grace, not that much IMO. Not the 13 years between Charles & Diana.

Perhaps much of our speculation will be resolved within the next few months.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
This is the thing that drives me nuts about some of the commentary here.

How does a woman who has worked steadily at her current job for the past 7 years, worked within that career for years before landing the job, has run her own website that was making millions, has had a fashion line with a respectable clothing chain in her adopted country, and has a solid history with notable charitable organizations need to prove her work ethic?

There are others within the BRF whose work ethics have rightly been questioned, including Harry’s, because they have long periods of appearing to be doing very little (not necessarily doing little, but appearing to be doing little). But to question Meghan’s is absolutely ridiculous. She has made a career for herself. We shouldn’t be questioning her work ethic.
Because for some reason the rules are different for her. And they keep changing. Which is why I'm glad it appears, she's a woman who already knows herself, and she and Harry are going about things as they see fit. No need to try and jump through hoops, to please people, who can't be pleased. Those who are willing to give her a chance will.

As for Meghan not being at Serena's wedding, if the last day of filming was Thursday, then it makes sense that Meghan couldn't be there. That's all I take from that. If she were free, I think she would have come. I still contend that no one would outshine Serena Williams on her wedding day. Not even Meghan. Not with that guest list. And if she and Serena are friends I'd expect they'd stay friends.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Meghan was likely invited but had to decline for a number of reasons: work conflicts; tight security concerns for Meghan; (plus Serena apparently kept plans close to the vest with no details publicly known until very close to the date, so as to try and minimize press intrusion; Serena's guests had to sign strict confidentiality agreements and lock their cellphones, as Serena has signed an exclusive wedding coverage deal with Vogue's Anna Wintour -- said to be appearing in January 2018 issue of Vogue). Surely Meghan sent Serena & Alex Ohanian a wedding gift.

Let's face it though, Meghan's profile has risen to such a level that she does not wish to outshine any bride's big day, and that has incuded Patrick J. Adams' wife, Troian Bellisario (she's also 'mixed-race'), Pippa Middleton, and now Meghan's friend, Serena. There was a star-studded list of guests invited by Serena, from the entertainment and sports worlds, which is a scene that Meghan seems to be diverging from as her life takes an entirely new direction. Meghan wasn't even in a position earlier this year where she could attend Serena's 3-day wedding spa shower in Florida. If not for her relationship with Prince Harry, I think Meghan would have attended Serena's shower and the wedding ceremony, if her Suits work schedule permitted. Even some of Serena's other high profile friends had work conflicts.

I would anticipate that Serena and hubby Ohanian, will be invited to Meghan's royal nuptials (if they ever arrive ), along with the Suits crew. It's just that Meghan's life as a member of the royal family will be quite different, so we'll see how close Meghan will be able to remain with some of her former close acquaintances. Probably she will remain very friendly, but not as close due to diverging pursuits and lifestyles. Likely, Meghan's closest friends will always remain in her inner circle, including Jessica Mulroney, Lindsay Roth, and Markus Anderson.
I am sorry but you think Meghan didn't attend the wedding so not to steal attention

Even if the media had got wind of where the wedding was, Meghan would have been a small fish in a giant ocean of celebrities. Serena wasn't going to be outshone by Meghan. With the likes of Beyoncé in attendance, that was not a concern. Even if Harry had been able to attend, there would be little concern. It would be like the couple attending Harry's friend's wedding in Jamaica. Nor was security an issue, as Serena went well out of her way to have it highly secured for their privacy. This is not the UK, where the tabloids are blood thirsty for photos of Harry and his girlfriend. Not that they would have got any.

Meghan didn't attend as she was still filming suits.

Quote:
Isn't Guy Pelly's wife American? Holiday Inn heiress? I forgot her name... and Zoe Warren is American too?
I don't believe Zoe is American. Her father is the heir to the Earldom of Galloway, through his second cousin. I guess since he is distantly related to the main branch they could have been in the US, but she seems to have spent many years in the UK if not born there.

Elizabeth Wilson (Guy), Amanda Kline (Mark Dyer), and others like Alessandra Balazs (girlfriend of Harry's Eton friend Arthur Landon, her family owns Chiltern firehouse which is popular with Harry and his group) Meghan will not be the only one in the group certainly.

And when the royal family gets together for Christmas in London, she will have company in the extended family. Autumn is not alone, though only one in immediate. But there is another Canadian, the Countess of St Andrews is from Newfoundland. There is also Kiwi Gary Lewis. Plenty of advice on a foreigner settling into the family, even if not into royal life (duties).
Old 11-18-2017, 03:04 AM
Majesty

It is interesting to see that now filming has finished media outlets have taken it as given fact that there will be an engagement and, if the several I read today are anything to go by, a Spring/Summer wedding.

The idea of a royal wedding and all that goes with it is being talked about as a welcome respite from the unending deluge of bad news, both national and international.

Funny how things start to change.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Anything we read is based on pure speculation at best. Just as valid as our speculation on here. Most likely the exact same thought process as we go through to get to it. What kind of visa? Will she leave right after filming ends? So on and son on. Most seem set on her arriving after Thanksgiving, and if she is on a fiancé visa, that would mean late May, start of June wedding.

Really no one knows what is happening. Until we find Meghan arriving, and it will be easier to spot as she will have her dogs with her, we cant really start the count down. And even then, we don't know how she is coming over. The fiancé visa makes the most sense, but perhaps they decide to go with the tourist and her going home for the weeks it takes for fiancé visa after.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Nobility

Meghan will not continue acting on "Suits" but I will bet odds she will continue acting some. I have read that Harry is very supportive of her career. Harry is not going to let being a royal or married to one take Meghan over or have it dictate to her.

Just watch it all unfold.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Meghan will not continue acting on "Suits" but I will bet odds she will continue acting some. I have read that Harry is very supportive of her career. Harry is not going to let being a royal or married to one take Meghan over or have it dictate to her.

You know, I actually wish that were true. I tend to think some of the "rules" etc that govern royals are a bit silly, and haven't always served them well, but they stick to them, because that's what they know. Meghan actually should be able to continue her career in some capacity. You would think as much as people complain about the royals living off their tax dollars, they'd be glad to have someone come along with a desire to make their own money. But that isn't the case. The British press would eat her alive. They're already chomping at the bit. So while it would be nice if she could keep some of her acting (maybe a project a year. Something on the stage) I just don't see it happening. I do believe if Harry thought he could make that happen for her, he would, but I think he cares most about protecting her, and he knows what her continuing to act would bring.

And to be clear, I think Meghan has made her peace with that. I have heard people suggest that it was probably easy for her to walk away from acting, because she was getting older, her prospects weren't that great, etc. I don't think that's true at all. First of all it often takes people awhile to get their first big break, especially women of color. Look at Viola Davis. 40 before she really broke through. And women of color are actually having "a moment" now in Hollywood.

Meghan took small jobs, side jobs to pay her bills. She was obviously committed to acting. She graduated from Northwestern with a,degree in drama. Northwestern's drama department is very highly regarded. Look up some of its graduates. So my point is, that Meghan obviously put a lot of time and work into her acting career, and it was actually just now starting to really bare fruit. Not to mention acting gave her, her platform for her humanitarian work. I think she always planned on cutting back on her acting for a family and her charity work, but I'm not sure if she ever thought she'd be completely walking away from it (obviously until she met Harry) And I would have to think that would be hard, no matter how excited she was about what she was trading it for. Acting was her career, not just some hobby. Others may not think much of her career, and have been very vocal about it, but I think she is to be commended.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post

I agree. There is so much that can be done in regards charities and stuff as a working actor: readings and short films. It's a mistake to let that connection atrophy. Princess Grace should be an 'example' that is avoided imo.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One place I can definitely see Meghan's talents coming into play would be making documentaries for the Royal Foundation events. She'd be a natural at this. We've seen W&K&H make several already. I do think she will find ways to put her talents to good use.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 11-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

The skills she uses when acting will be used to far greater effect, on a FAR wider stage when/if Ms Markle is a functioning member of the BRF. It is inconceivable that she will have time to work 'as an actress' in any capacity other than as part of the 'firm'.

She could not be on TV in a 'soap', nor on stage in a play. That part of her past ends the day she marries. What she can do, is channel her 'acting' into making every encounter she has with an 'ordinary' person, memorable and precious as a memory. Isn't that [in part] what actors do ?
Old 11-18-2017, 02:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

While I agree she wont be acting in the commercial sense any more, I wouldn't say 'acting among people' is her only use for her skills.

I really hope they put Meghan's talent to use. There are numerous royals who have done books and such, including Charles. It would be great to see Meghan perhaps work on documentaries and such projects that involve charities. It would be great to see her involved with Charles and his environmental projects. I do hope she branches out from the 'mental health' that the three are so focussed on. With a slimmed down monarchy meant to be focussing on, those who will be left, need to branch out.

She could also take on many art patronages that will be opening up in the next few years. Being involved in the theater as a patron. Again we can look at royals like Margrethe and know there is a way to pursue passion within the royal frame work.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

The fact that Meghan has now quite Suits makes me think that an engagement is a very real possibility. Dare I say that we could expect an announcement next month or in January? It would be sweet if they got engaged around the Christmas season!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Majesty

What experience does Meghan have making documentaries? Royals use professional production. KP utilises the talents of BAFTA ( William’s President)

[...] her royal life will involve visiting primary schools, making small talk and unveiling plaques.

Monarchy is hierarchical. Meghan and Harry aren’t centre stage but a supporting act.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:52 PM
Serene Highness

Meghan is really comfortable in front of the camera due to years of working in front of them both as an actress, and giving interviews. Her talents would be really useful for the RF. Saying that doesn't mean I think Meghan and Harry will be centre stage, it's just logical to use her years long experience to benefit good causes.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
This is the thing that drives me nuts about some of the commentary here.

How does a woman who has worked steadily at her current job for the past 7 years, worked within that career for years before landing the job, has run her own website that was making millions, has had a fashion line with a respectable clothing chain in her adopted country, and has a solid history with notable charitable organizations need to prove her work ethic?

There are others within the BRF whose work ethics have rightly been questioned, including Harry’s, because they have long periods of appearing to be doing very little (not necessarily doing little, but appearing to be doing little). But to question Meghan’s is absolutely ridiculous. She has made a career for herself. We shouldn’t be questioning her work ethic.
She ran a lifestyle page, not founded Reddit or Facebook. She wasn't making millions and isn't making millions now.

But furthermore, I agree with you. She has consistently worked hard for her own paycheck, like we all do. Most of her future in-laws and future husband won't be able to vouch for the same, let's be honest here.
And I hate it when people will count up engagements to prove that someone works hard. It's not even remotely the same than working, for example, in retail for a **** paycheck and still having to watch the coins to get through the month.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:03 PM
Majesty

In what way would the royal family utilise Meghan’s ‘talents’ in front of the camera?

Move aside BBC and ITV we now have Meghan Markle in the fold.

A lot of new royal watchers are in for a disappointing experience with setting the bar so high for Meghan.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well for one, Rudolph, I remember all too well when Kate gave her first speech and the comments on how nervous she seemed. Meghan won't have that problem. She's already quite adept at public speaking.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

This is not about Meghan vs Kate. Let's move on please.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

She will find her niche within the folds of the "Firm" and do what she's needed to do. She will put her talents to good use just by being who she is. We can't ask for anymore than that.

Nobody is insinuating that should Meghan join the BRF that all and sundry would bow down, chant moo and eat purple grass in her honor. She just happens to have skills that will enhance the work the BRF does.

Closed Thread