The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Imagine Kate Middleton giving an interview to Tatler or British Vogue before her engagement... It's different for Harry & Meghan of course: not the immediate heir and as an actress Meghan lives on these magazines & photoshoots. It's part of her world.

OK, engagement by the end of the year I'm certain. She's 36, if they still want to have children, then Meghan will be 37 at a first pregnancy which isn't all that easy anymore biologically speaking. Good luck to them!

Old 09-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

She must have received the green light from Buckingham palace/ Clarence House for this interview. But I find it quite surprising. Such a thing would have been unthinkable even a decade ago indeed. I suspect an engagement is in the air.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
Meghan is on the cover of the October issue of Vanity Fair, and in her interview speaks about her relationship with Harry.
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...le-cover-story
Yikes. Not the best look from a royal gf. Save it for an engagement interview. Loose lips...

And having this out before IG will put Harry in a media pressure cooker. Unfortunately this shows me Meghan still has a celebrity view of the BRF, she and Harry might be madly in love but she still has a lot to learn yet.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:45 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
She must have received the green light from Buckingham palace/ Clarence House for this interview. But I find it quite surprising. Such a thing would have been unthinkable even a decade ago indeed. I suspect an engagement is in the air.
Definitely a move approved by the Palace - my initial reaction after reading the excerpts that it was a pre-emptive strike ahead of an engagement announcement, based on the content and tone of the excerpts.

She talks about her family, a little about her work - and there are several positive 'character references' from well-placed friends (Serena Williams is one). All give off - to me anyhow - the impression that this interview was given purely as a puff piece ahead of an announcement to counter the negative media articles.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's been clear to me from the statement that Harry sent out, calling Meghan "his girlfriend" and calling out for more protection of her privacy and to stop the racist comments about her, that this is going to end in an engagement. That end is of course a beautiful new beginning.

It'll be interesting to see how Menghan deals with the constant pressure of the paps. I'm sure there will be many more African trips.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Aristocracy

Wow!!! So she got a VF cover and story solely based on being PH girlfriend. They are really running this like a Hollywood PR relationship. I have no doubt this was approved by KP but still... Very odd roll out
Old 09-05-2017, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I think even for a smallish wedding, for a royal wedding they would need more than 2 months to plan it.

I seriously doubt the planning would start only after a public announcement.
For all we know, plans have been in the works for months!
We just don't know about them.

I'm one who believes Harry and Meghan have been engaged for some time- maybe even from last Christmas.

So, I think when, not if, it is announced, the ceremonial wheels will immediately start turning!
Old 09-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
When it comes to a royal engagement and the following wedding, the public actually is the last to know when the "official" announcement is made. I wouldn't doubt that plans have been in the works towards a royal wedding for some time now.

People have been clamoring quite loudly that Harry and Meghan should be more "visible" as a couple and this interview (which I believe wouldn't have been done without KP and Harry's go ahead) is this couple starting to dip their toes in public waters. With this interview out, it will not be surprising at all to see Harry with Meghan at the Invictus Games by his side. The way things are going, I think Harry has the full approval of his monarch and grandmother and his family and he's one happy Harry.

I do think all signs point to an engagement announcement sooner rather than later. We'll see.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Andrew has been regarded as a 'minor' royal since William was born - so since he was third in the line of succession. By that definition Harry is a 'minor' royal with a child in his generation and the next ahead of him in the line of succession.

Margaret was moved to 'minor' status with the birth of Charles for the same reason - one in her generation and one in the next.

She too was the second child of the monarch and then the sibling of the monarch but for most of her adult life she was seen as a 'minor' member of the family and Andrew, Edward and Anne are in that position now - the younger children of the monarch and Harry has joined them.

All the monarch's children are important but when there is an heir in the next generation then the younger children move to 'minor' and 'hanger-on' status in the minds of many in the public.
It's completely untrue that, at the time of his wedding, Andrew was considered to be a minor royal. Or Anne for that matter. You don't give minor royals weddings in the Abbey that are televised. They might be minor royals now because Charles' children are grown and undertakes a good number of royal engagements.

BTW, this will probably be the last royal wedding that is televised for awhile, so I'd definitely be watching it.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I will say that I was surprised that she was so open about her relationship in this interview. It's not something we see from royal girlfriends/boyfriends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I suspect you're right about an engagement. Otherwise, I don't think she'd talk about how in love they are, or state how they'll one day "come forward and present ourselves."
Old 09-05-2017, 08:31 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it's a lovely interview and I'm glad that Meghan is becoming more 'visible'. I agree with others that this interview was almost certainly OKd by BP etc and that Harry knew all about it. It would be a bit of a shock if he didn't! I also believe that the couple will appear together at the IG and therefore this interview is a preamble to it and to an engagement perhaps later this year.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Heir Apparent

I remember that future Princess Marie of Denmark also admitted before their engagement that she loved Prince Joachim.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Indeed, I believe she gave an interview to Point de Vue at one point.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:39 AM
Nobility

Some that has expressed she should be introduced to the public prior to engagement should be happy about this interview.

I, on the other hand, am not sure about this. Don't get me wrong, I loved that it satisfied some of my curiousity about this relationship and addressed a few issues. However, I'm really not sure if this helped or hurt with the additional intense scrutiny this would bring to the relationship from the tabloid press.

Regardless, I'm sure this was Ok'ed by Harry and his people, perhaps even discussed with higher ups. I presume they all know better than I do about dealing with press.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, of course the Daily Fail has jumped on the Meghan interview with all the enthusiasm of a terrier after a large juicy rat! It's just manna for them.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
Imagine Kate Middleton giving an interview to Tatler or British Vogue before her engagement... It's different for Harry & Meghan of course: not the immediate heir and as an actress Meghan lives on these magazines & photoshoots. It's part of her world.

OK, engagement by the end of the year I'm certain. She's 36, if they still want to have children, then Meghan will be 37 at a first pregnancy which isn't all that easy anymore biologically speaking. Good luck to them!
The interview was rather "pushy" so to speak. By saying she and Harry are supposedly "in love", she has put pressure on Harry to confirm that statement publicly.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Well she certainly loves being the centre of attention. Why do an interview?

And just because Harry knew about doesn't make it right.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Administrator

I am 100% sure that VF was directed at MM by the press office of the palace and that this was not a spontanious action by either Meghan or Prince Harry.

Actors usually do not mind being the center of attention -it comes with the job - but I do not see why that is a problem. Considering her life *if* she marries the prince, it may even be a good thing she is not shy.

I do not see what is so surprising about 'being in love' when one is having a relationship with somebody. It would be more problematic if she would say that they were not.

Although people have a right to their opinion about the couple, it would be nice to stay fair and not to bend over backwards to portray any piece of information in a negative light at each and every opportunity.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

It was a very nice interview, given just before the African holiday, and Harry would no doubt have been in favour of her doing it. He wouldn't have been pressured. How do we know he didn't suggest it, in fact? I believe it is the run up to appearances at events at the IG and later an engagement.

They're happy, in love, and good on them!
Old 09-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Well she certainly loves being the centre of attention. Why do an interview?

And just because Harry knew about doesn't make it right.
True. Harry was also the mastermind behind his disaster June interview. The blind leading the blind.

Closed Thread