The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-14-2017, 08:34 PM
Heir Apparent

The 1917 LP makes no mention of wives. Under common law a women would automatically adopt her husbands name and title. English common law worked this way for years.

Nowadays lots of women don’t take their husbands name. If Harry was anybody else I doubt Meghan would but marrying Harry shes stepping back through the mists of time.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

If Meghan were marrying anyone else but Harry however, she would be almost certainly keeping her professional name (and contininuing to act.) Many, many actresses are known by their own not their marital names. As a member of the BRF she would not be allowed to continue with her profession, as we know.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I think that is what an engagement is for, to formally introduce Harry's future wife to the people of the UK and Commonwealth. They can't do it in a "no ring, no bring" private or royal engagement situation and it's a little pointless being in the UK, even living with Harry, but not being able to be an officially recognised +1.

That describes Meghan's status when she joined Harry at the IG. For the opening and closing ceremonies, she was not front and centre beside Harry. An engagement brings her officially to Harry's side. Without a ring it's open season on Meghan!
I think the final sentence pretty much states the situation. In a very definite way, Meghan will have the protection she needs with a formal engagement announcement. Nothing will be 'proven' allowing Meghan to run any gauntlet while she whiles away an ambiguous residence in the UK (and let's face it, she will be living with Harry at Nottingham Cottage, not setting up a flat in Chelsea).

Meghan is well-traveled. My hunch is Meghan has already been in the UK (as a visitor) a lot. She knows the UK as much as she can under the circumstances. Being in the UK will have as it's purpose the living day-in-day-out with Harry. Having that arrangement 'covered' under an 'engagement' seems sensible.

Optics seem to dictate that Meghan has the protection of an engagement precisely because she is not a British citizen.

BTW, it will be interesting to see how they handle this aspect. In fact, might Harry and Meghan decide to live in France, with Harry commuting? Interesting possibility. Living in the UK is not a given methinks. Just rambling.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:15 PM
Heir Apparent

From what I have read Meghan has visited the UK many times since she's had friends there prior to even meeting Harry.

LaRae
Old 11-14-2017, 10:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I can just hear the screams of indignation from the British public about the costs of RPOs and other security should a British Prince and his girlfriend decide to live in continental Europe (even if that were possible, which it wouldn't be.) The tabloids, DF commenters, Britexiters, etc would go berserk.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh heavens there would be a meltdown of the likes we haven't seen in decades. If Harry were to go live elsewhere he'd need to renounce his place in succession and go be a private citizen. It's the only way he would get away with it.

LaRae
Old 11-14-2017, 10:41 PM
Majesty

There are a few givens:

1. Harry will live and work in the UK.
2. His wife will be expected to work for the firm.

The only question is when Meghan and Harry will take that next step to marriage.

Harry is a senior royal, and will be one of only 2 kids of the king when his dad takes the throne. He doesn't have the luxury of someone like Edward or Anne did. He and his wife will be expected to pull their weight in the royal game for the next 30 years at the very least, until George and his siblings are old enough. That would mean living in the UK and doing royal duties.

As for Europe. Meghan is not an EU citizen, Harry soon wont be. There would be the same VISA and other issues for her on the continent as in the UK. Not to mention the expense of running a house on the continent (no free rent in Kensington). RPO as they would need security. The money to commute back and forth for Harry to the UK. I mean there is no way this should have even appeared as a possibility. The US would make more sense for someone to suggest but even that isn't going to happen.

Meghan is not going to be working until she marries. She needs to 'contribute'? How does one measure that? Does simply living in the UK contribute to the UK? How was Kate contributing before marriage? If Meghan gets a work or volunteer visa, some public will scream she got it due to Harry and that she took work from others. If she lives with him for a year in his cottage and doesn't work, people will call her a gold digger. If she continues her volunteer work over seas while living with him, people will say she is running off with another man or that she isn't committed. There is really no scenario that will work for everyone. The couple needs to find out what works for them and what works for the royals. Nothing else matters.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
So you say she's entitled to RPO's if she's engaged but you don't want her to be engaged because you don't want her to have taxpayer money too soon. What does 3 or even 6 months matter?

The logic is a bit lacking in your position Queen E.

LaRae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen E View Post
The mood in Britain has undoubtedly changed & the royals are expected to be more accountable and are now being held up to greater scrutiny.

This is why there was uproar when the Buckingham Palace refurbishment was announced, the recent Paradise Papers, and the uproar when Harry broke the rules by not returning to Britain immediately after an official trip to visit his girlfriend abroad.

The British people are no longer in a mood to just accept things as they are from the establishment. Any perception of nepotism or preferential treatment will be frowned upon. The royals will need to be extremely careful with how this will look which is why I don't think they should rush things as soon as Meghan arrives in England after Suits wraps up. Public opinion does matter a great deal where the royals are concerned.
I believe that "uproar" has been primarily manufactured by the tabloid press. Buckingham Palace is in desperate need of repair, the financial stuff overblown in regards to the Queen. Harry was foolish to not follow the travel guidelines-while I think they are overly strict they are in place and should be followed.

What nepotism? You're the one advocating Meghan move to the U.K. as a girlfriend and work somewhere for awhile before getting engaged. Many of us believe that unnecessary. The things some people find objectionable about Meghan will not change by her hanging out in Britain for a few months.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Oh heavens there would be a meltdown of the likes we haven't seen in decades. If Harry were to go live elsewhere he'd need to renounce his place in succession and go be a private citizen. It's the only way he would get away with it.

LaRae
I think Harry & Meghan will live in the UK. However just wanted to note that The Queen, when she was still a Princess, & Prince Philip lived in Malta for a couple of years, early in their marriage.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

It’s going to be a good day once Harry get around to announcing his engagement. We would be able to move on to new official debates.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-14-2017, 11:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I think the final sentence pretty much states the situation. In a very definite way, Meghan will have the protection she needs with a formal engagement announcement. Nothing will be 'proven' allowing Meghan to run any gauntlet while she whiles away an ambiguous residence in the UK (and let's face it, she will be living with Harry at Nottingham Cottage, not setting up a flat in Chelsea).

Meghan is well-traveled. I would make a hunch that Meghan has already been in the UK (as a visitor) a lot. She knows the UK as much as she can under the circumstances. Being in the UK will have as it's purpose to live day-in-day-out with Harry, and having that arrangement 'covered' under an 'engagement' seems likely only sensible.

Optics seems to dictate that Meghan have the protection of an engagement precisely because she is not a British citizen.

BTW, it will be interesting to see how they handle this aspect. In fact, might Harry and Meghan decide to live in France, with Harry commuting? Interesting possibility. Living in the UK is not a given methinks. Just rambling.
Yes Meghan has traveled to a lot of countries before meeting Harry. Meghan has also worked in the UK, in 2013, one of the movies that she was in, was mainly filmed in the UK.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It’s going to be a good day once Harry get around to announcing his engagement. We would be able to move on to new official debates.
That sums it up!
Old 11-14-2017, 11:14 PM

After months of discussing titles, homes, hair, tiaras, wedding venues, honeymoon locations, BRF working roles, pets and everything else.....I am ready for them to make an announcement! Now that the Suits news has hit Variety, I'm chomping at the bit.

I am new to this forum so I don't have the endurance of the rest of you yet----the ramp ups to Victoria/Daniel and William/Kate must have served you well and I salute you for your patience and seasoned perspectives.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeT View Post
I think Harry & Meghan will live in the UK. However just wanted to note that The Queen, when she was still a Princess, & Prince Philip lived in Malta for a couple of years, early in their marriage.
Because her husband was stationed there. Not because she just wanted to live abroad.

LaRae
Old 11-14-2017, 11:49 PM
Aristocracy

So there is talk of today being Meghan's last day on set. I think we'll start to hear some announcements pretty soon, starting with Suits. The next month or so should be very interesting.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
So there is talk of today being Meghan's last day on set. I think we'll start to hear some announcements pretty soon, starting with Suits. The next month or so should be very interesting.
If it's all the way so many are guessing it is (and I'm inclined to think it may well be so, maybe), imagine what a thrilling time this must be for Meghan. So curious how they will roll this whole thing out.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Serena Williams is getting married this week any chance at all of Meghan and Harry attending?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 AM
Aristocracy

We'll see if the wedding is actually happening this week. If so, then Meghan most likely will be there. Not sure about Harry. Would be a pleasant surprise if they both did attend. I would happily settle for seeing Meghan though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
If it's all the way so many are guessing it is (and I'm inclined to think it may well be so, maybe), imagine what a thrilling time this must be for Meghan. So curious how they will roll this whole thing out.
Thrilling and probably a little scary. But definitely an exciting time. I'm curious as well and looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Serena Williams is getting married this week any chance at all of Meghan and Harry attending?
We’ll have to see. Serena us getting married in New Orleans instead of UK. So it wouldn’t be as easy for Harry’s schedule. I’m not sure what his diary looks like the day before or after. As for Meghan, she’s shied away from Patrick’s wedding even though Patrick describes her like a sister multiple times out of respect for the couple. So who knows?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Meghan highly likely. Harry??? Highly doubtful. Him flying to New Orleans to attend a 'celebrity wedding', and the costs that go along with that. They get enough press for attending weddings abroad of their friends. But for him to go for a wedding of someone he doesn't know.

I honestly don't see Meghan moving until December. She has her things to sort out and then Thanksgiving. If she is moving over and doesn't plan to marry in six months, she will have to go as a tourist which means she cant bring her things with her so she will need to see to storage. A stop over in New Orleans for the wedding would be little issue for her.