The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
No, no previous girlfriend was included. It seems a bizarre and quite arbitrary decision. The time to poll Meghan would be surely when she is married and actually working for the 'Firm' not when she's out of the country and not 'official'. And 50% of those polled stated 'Don't Know.' in respect of approval!
Curryong, where did the "don't know" figures come from for the approval ratings? I've only seen the numbers that Richard posted, and they only include the don't know option for the next monarch question. I've checked the pollster's website and couldn't find anything about this poll.. could you share, please?

Old 11-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Nobility

I read the article about the approval ratings and I don't get why Meghan was mentioned, unless the intent is to spin a narrative that Brits have not accepted her. Twenty five hundred people were polled, with no clear breakdown of demographics.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:01 PM
Nobility

I suspect Opinium included Meghan in the poll to generate attention and more stories about the data.

Opinium are in the business of selling their data services ("We help our clients harness the power of insight to build, grow, promote and make strategic business decisions.") Polls like this get eyes on the company and that translates into more business for them.

I suspect it's about how many narratives they can see coming out of the same data. They *need* one. Two would be better ("Queen's approval drops" "No-one wants Charles as king"). If they can get a third ("Only 1 in 5 approve of Meghan")? That's gravy.

Then you have the press side of it. They reported on it because Opinium included it.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I read the article about the approval ratings and I don't get why Meghan was mentioned, unless the intent is to spin a narrative that Brits have not accepted her. Twenty five hundred people were polled, with no clear breakdown of demographics.
Simple

1 get more people to read and vote
2 to try and continue their spin that Meghan is not as accepted as people hope.

They have been accused of racial comments and cant risk that again. So the poll is a new attempt to try and portray her as an issue.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Curryong, where did the "don't know" figures come from for the approval ratings? I've only seen the numbers that Richard posted, and they only include the don't know option for the next monarch question. I've checked the pollster's website and couldn't find anything about this poll.. could you share, please?
In the early hours of the morning, Aussie time, I spotted on Richard Palmer's Twitter page a conversation about this Opinium poll. The figures were coming in thick and fast and I posted them as they came in on another Forum, not this one. Got the figures on Queen, Charles, and the others, and then posted this about Meghan on there.

'What is also amazing about this poll is that Meghan was included! What the.. !!! 33% of those polled said they thought she would be an asset to the BRF, 17% said No and 50% didn't know! That would be about right! They went into it a little more and 45% of 18 to 24 year olds saw Meghan as 'a breath of fresh air' as against 26% of 55 to 64 year olds. So, with 50% 'don't knows', the jury is out. However, she and Harry arent engaged yet!'

Now, whether RP was getting his figures muddled re Meghan and later corrected them, I don't know. He may have taken those figures down later. However, that's what I got from Palmer's Twitter at the time and what I posted.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
In the early hours of the morning, Aussie time, I spotted on Richard Palmer's Twitter page a conversation about this Opinium poll. The figures were coming in thick and fast and I posted them as they came in on another Forum, not this one. Got the figures on Queen, Charles, and the others, and then posted this about Meghan on there.

'What is also amazing about this poll is that Meghan was included! What the.. !!! 33% of those polled said they thought she would be an asset to the BRF, 17% said No and 50% didn't know! That would be about right! They went into it a little more and 45% of 18 to 24 year olds saw Meghan as 'a breath of fresh air' as against 26% of 55 to 64 year olds. So, with 50% 'don't knows', the jury is out. However, she and Harry arent engaged yet!'

Now, whether RP was getting his figures muddled re Meghan and later corrected them, I don't know. He may have taken those figures down later. However, that's what I got from Palmer's Twitter at the time and what I posted.
Thanks, Curryong! I appreciate the info.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTchic View Post
So Richard Palmer got the latest approval ratings for the Royal Family and for some bizarre reason Meghan is included in this list despite the fact that she is neither married nor engaged to Harry. Can someone please explain why she is included? It is incredibly unfair.
I'm not surprised she was included, KP's statement last year made her an "Official Girlfriend", in a way that the 3 Cs (Catherine, Chelsy, Cressida) never were. Her elevated position means she'll get this type of quasi-royal treatment.

I'm also not surprised that her numbers are low. Right now she's "just an American" who doesn't even live in the UK, she'll need to develop into a dedicated Brit before that foreign wariness wears off. Also the media has been way over the top about this relationship, to an embarrassing level, so this is just natural pushback against oversaturation.

I'm just surprised about George and Charlotte, if you're too young to know what a poll is, then you shouldn't be involved in one.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:42 PM
Majesty

Catherine, you don't mean Catharine Ommaney She was only confirmed in her own mind.

Other then Chelsy and Cress, the only ones relatively confirmed are Flea and Natalie Pinkam. He was 'linked' to basically any good looking woman he was seen hanging out with. Including unnanmed women he even touched when in the public eye.

In reality Meghan is #3 of serious relationships, though Cress is questionably serious (long time but always seemed more for fun for both).
Old 11-12-2017, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I'm not surprised she was included, KP's statement last year made her an "Official Girlfriend", in a way that the 3 Cs (Catherine, Chelsy, Cressida) never were. Her elevated position means she'll get this type of quasi-royal treatment.

I'm also not surprised that her numbers are low. Right now she's "just an American" who doesn't even live in the UK, she'll need to develop into a dedicated Brit before that foreign wariness wears off. Also the media has been way over the top about this relationship, to an embarrassing level, so this is just natural pushback against oversaturation.
Oversaturation? Unless you go on sites that mention her a lot(DM and here) or you check up on her,read stuff about her.Then no, people aren't getting oversaturated.I hardly hear of her outside a select fandom and DM.Unless she appears on the news or on newspapers,then we don't really hear much.
Huh? With or without KPs statement,doesn't change the fact Meghan is still a girlfriend.What elevated position does she have that the others didn't?
The heading says ROYALS approval rating.Meghan isn't a royal,she isn't engaged to one,isnt married to one,hasn't done any engagements in Britain.She doesn't even live here.Them including her(George and Charlotte also) in a poll makes zero sense.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:23 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Simple

1 get more people to read and vote
2 to try and continue their spin that Meghan is not as accepted as people hope.

They have been accused of racial comments and cant risk that again. So the poll is a new attempt to try and portray her as an issue.
Bingo! This is exactly why. Just trying to spin a narrative. There is nothing new to report on the Meghan and Harry front right now, and as we know, "nature abhors a vaccum". Have to fill it with something. What better story than, "Meghan overwhelmingly unpopular/distrusted/etc."
Old 11-12-2017, 04:14 AM
Commoner

The inclusion of George, Charlotte and Fergie and the royals who are private citizens is strange to me too. They do no duties and have their own lives because of their and circumstances. Something sinister is going on.

The agenda the media is setting in our minds is 'who needs this lot,republic now!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
Oversaturation? Unless you go on sites that mention her a lot(DM and here) or you check up on her,read stuff about her.Then no, people aren't getting oversaturated.I hardly hear of her outside a select fandom and DM.Unless she appears on the news or on newspapers,then we don't really hear much.
Huh? With or without KPs statement,doesn't change the fact Meghan is still a girlfriend.What elevated position does she have that the others didn't?
The heading says ROYALS approval rating.Meghan isn't a royal,she isn't engaged to one,isnt married to one,hasn't done any engagements in Britain.She doesn't even live here.Them including her(George and Charlotte also) in a poll makes zero sense.
Yes, oversaturation. I don't click on the Mail and even I've seen articles elsewhere on almost a daily basis, not just tabloids too. Heck, they've even just aired a documentary on her even though as you say "Meghan is still a girlfriend". I've heard there was going to be some Harry and Meghan: the love story book, maybe it's already been published. This kind of over the top coverage leads to pushback, royal watchers saw it happen with poor Pippa.

And I'm not saying Meghan should of been included in the poll, I'm saying I'm not surprised and I see how she ended up in it.

I have my analysis and you have your own. And I haven't wavered with mine if that was your intention.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:35 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm surprised they didn't include Lupo, the Queen's corgis and the Duchess of Cornwall's dogs in the poll along with Meghan's Bogart and Guy. The public is just aching to know which royal dog resonates the most with the public. Of course, if they were also to include Marvin the Royal Hamster, he'd win hands down.

All this just tells me that polls, for the most part aren't an indication of anything.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:40 AM
Commoner

Make that two documentaries since Channel 4 did one a couple of weeks before ITV. Let us also not forget Lorraine Kelly has a competition for a Meghan Markle look alike. I am not kidding, it is beyond a worn out joke. Oh and the DM just did a whole article about Doria Ragland's youth completed with high school pictures and the like.
That is oversaturation.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTchic View Post
Make that two documentaries since Channel 4 did one a couple of weeks before ITV. Let us also not forget Lorraine Kelly has a competition for a Meghan Markle look alike. I am not kidding, it is beyond a worn out joke. Oh and the DM just did a whole article about Doria Ragland's youth completed with high school pictures and the like.
That is oversaturation.
The DM and other tabs just want clicks so they post nonsense articles because they get a reaction. It is basically fake news they create for clicks.

I mean they wrote an article about MM's mom's hair when she was a teenager...which was nothing more than their underhanded code to take digs at MM's mother who is different.

It should be noted that the oversatuation is the fault of the press, not MM whom we barely see or PH who we only see during his engagements, or MM and PH as a couple whom we have only seen together around 5 times or less.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Yes, oversaturation. I don't click on the Mail and even I've seen articles elsewhere on almost a daily basis, not just tabloids too. Heck, they've even just aired a documentary on her even though as you say "Meghan is still a girlfriend". I've heard there was going to be some Harry and Meghan: the love story book, maybe it's already been published. This kind of over the top coverage leads to pushback, royal watchers saw it happen with poor Pippa.

And I'm not saying Meghan should of been included in the poll, I'm saying I'm not surprised and I see how she ended up in it.

I have my analysis and you have your own. And I haven't wavered with mine if that was your intention.
If you see things about Meghan in your feed, some of it is because you come here and possibly other royalty sites. Unless you browse private all the time and never allow any cookies.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

A poll conducted by Opiniom Researct for the Daily Express. Interesting that that Meghan’s isn’t very high in Britain. I thought the closer we get to a wedddiing , the numbers will go up. The sooner she moves to London and and rolls ger sleeves up the better

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/87...n-approval/amp
Old 11-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wouldn’t pay much attention to opinions polls on a person who hasn’t been officially introduced as a royal fiancée yet. Also, opinion polls very naturally go up and down. One can’t stay popular forever.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-12-2017, 10:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
A poll conducted by Opiniom Researct for the Daily Express. Interesting that that Meghan’s isn’t very high in Britain. I thought the closer we get to a wedddiing , the numbers will go up. The sooner she moves to London and and rolls ger sleeves up the better

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/87...n-approval/amp
Well, we don't know how close they are to a wedding. They aren't even engaged yet. If/when she does move to London, it will likely be on a timetable that they've already planned for and not because she's dashing over in hopes of improving some poll numbers. Frankly, I really doubt Harry cares about her approval rating being low. I can't see it swaying whatever opinion he has of her. I imagine the royals don't like being measured against each other, they're a family after all.

But yes, from a royal watcher standpoint it will be interesting to see how her numbers develop over time. And to think about what factors are playing into those number changes.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I wouldn’t pay much attention to opinions polls on a person who hasn’t been officially introduced as a royal fiancée yet. Also, opinion polls very naturally go up and down. One can’t stay popular forever.
Not only do they go up and down, they can be totally wrong, think Brexit, US Presidential race, etc. TPTB will not be paying one iota of interest in polls when it comes to Harry, an engagement, wedding or pregnancy. When you think about it, the BRF has seen and heard it all, in good times and bad and they know exactly how wrong these polls can be and have been observing them and their impact for decades.