The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Gentry

Fame is fleeting and no one can predict how long a public figure will remain in demand. The media is so heavily saturated and the public have become so fickle that it is very rare for anyone to remain relevant for a sustained period of time nowadays. So let's not get carried away with billing Harry & Meghan as some sort of power couple who are going to set the world ablaze and save the monarchy. They've only been together for just over a year.

Personally I think that once this particular generation of royals all start hitting their 40s we will slowly start seeing media interest move on to the next generation. That is what usually happens in a youth obsessed society and it's even worse for women in the public eye who are forever judged on their looks. This makes it very doubtful that either Meghan or Kate will continue to generate front page headlines & heavy interest in 10 years time when they will be 46. Kate however will one day be Queen & mother to the future heir so she will still have that spotlight.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Word has it that it's William and Kate's 3rd baby that is preventing Harry from proposing or marrying Meghan? Totally ridiculous! First of all this is NOT their first kid, so the WOW factor that the excitement is not there. Secondly, Harry is grown and should not have to put his life on hold for his brother or his family. And finally because of who Meghan is and her background, they or she will always overshadow them. She's fresh, new and different. -American and Half Black. Meghan is an attention grabber!! That is just a fact.
I'd be very, very wary of this type of speculation. It's there as what is typically known as "click bait." Should Harry and Meghan become engaged and decide to marry in 2018, the schedules of QEII and the Prince of Wales would take precedence over the birth of the Cambridge's third child in determining at wedding date.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Prince Harry visits Westminster Abbey Field of Remembrance | Daily Mail Online

A little discussion about Meghan between Harry and one of the attendees

LaRae
Well, if folks want to meet his “missus” then he should take her next year.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I'd be very, very wary of this type of speculation. It's there as what is typically known as "click bait." Should Harry and Meghan become engaged and decide to marry in 2018, the schedules of QEII and the Prince of Wales would take precedence over the birth of the Cambridge's third child in determining at wedding date.
I don't need to wary of anything. I am not British. And I said nothing about QEII or Prince Charles.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:50 PM
Aristocracy

Kate and Meghan seem pretty well grounded IMO and comfortable in their own skin. The constant comparisons between them, however unfortunate, is inevitable, as it sells papers. Bringing the Diana factor also sells papers but I sincerely doubt these young women are anything like her. Again, IMO, they are just too smart and savvy to be caught up in that sort of thing.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I'd be very, very wary of this type of speculation.Should Harry and Meghan become engaged and decide to marry in 2018, the schedules of QEII and the Prince of Wales would take precedence over the birth of the Cambridge's third child in determining at wedding date.

I'll never understand how incensed some people get over the idea that Harry (or any other royal) can't just go full-on selfish "me me ME!" when it comes to scheduling major life events that impact a lot of other people. Shoot, if you want to still have friends and family who don't complain about you behind your back, it's not really wise to do that as a regular person, either.

As I see it, it's not really any sort of hardship for a royal couple to fit their plans into the larger schedule. The genius to the way the calendar of traditional events works is that while there are very busy periods at certain, set times there are also other times in the calendar that are left more open and available for personal or one-off events to be slotted in. They do have a choice of dates to do what they want, it's just not completely unlimited. Working with the larger schedule will always be a part of royal life; if a couple can't handle that then they don't have even the basic coping tools for life as royals.

That said, there's been talk here about limits on when Harry and Meghan could conceivably announce an engagement due to how it would fits into the royal calendar, so I decided to root around in the court circular and see how much "room" there was between past engagement announcements and other big events. Looking at their track record, I think royal watchers are more concerned than the BRF.

For instance, William and Kate's announcement was one that the press was salivating for and that was sure to be a major attention-grabbing story for the entire royal press corps. Nonetheless, it happened at a fairly busy time. It was just a couple of days after all of the Remembrance events culminated in the big wreath-laying at the Cenotaph and, more importantly, shortly before the last of QEII's multi-state, intercontinental foreign trips (to Oman and the UAE). The Queen carried out an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace on the same morning as William and Kate stood before the throng of cameras. In terms of important personal dates, it was two days after Prince Charles' birthday and four days before the Queen and Prince Philip's wedding anniversary.

Looking at examples like that, I realized that the announcement of an engagement is a relatively light-lift for the royal machine. Ultimately, all they need on the day is the couple in question, a open room in the palace and a notice to get the press there. The question of how much attention it will draw from other royal activities seems to be not as important to them as to us. They know that the there's one set of royal press that will never cover anything other than personal lives of the family's members whether there's an announcement or not; those folks will be running with something about the royal couple of the moment no matter what and likely don't even come into play in the calculus of when to try to get press coverage for other things. It seems from the way past announcements have been scheduled that they just try to make sure there's not a major thing on the very same day or perhaps the next.

So while weddings only happen at certain times of year, and while the BRF's track record does indicate that wedding dates are selected before engagements are announced so that the public engagement period is somewhere in the 3-6 month range, I'm not sure we can really tell much from the royal calendar about when an announcement is likely to be made.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, if folks want to meet his “missus” then he should take her next year.
From your lips to God's ear!

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
Kate and Meghan seem pretty well grounded IMO and comfortable in their own skin. The constant comparisons between them, however unfortunate, is inevitable, as it sells papers. Bringing the Diana factor also sells papers but I sincerely doubt these young women are anything like her. Again, IMO, they are just too smart and savvy to be caught up in that sort of thing.

Everyone has learned from the fiasco in the 80's/90's. Neither of them court the media. I expect it will remain that way.

LaRae
Old 11-09-2017, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree re the announcement timing, Loonytick. Meghan is slightly different though, as she has to at least be in the country when the announcement is made! I'm really hoping for the end of November after the Queen Prince Philip anniversary.

By the way, the Fail photos are brilliant, as usual. We may very well see Meghan at a Remembrance event next year, with some great photos of her.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I agree re the announcement timing, Loonytick. Meghan is slightly different though, as she has to at least be in the country when the announcement is made! I'm really hoping for the end of November after the Queen Prince Philip anniversary.

By the way, the Fail photos are brilliant, as usual. We may very well see Meghan at a Remembrance event next year, with some great photos of her.
Yes, the individual calendars of Harry and Meghan are of course very important to work around. I'm just saying we don't need to think what the Queen, Charles, the Wessexes or Will and Kate (etc.) have scheduled tells us all that much about when Harry and Meghan might show up to flash a ring and answer a few questions about how he popped the question.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
From your lips to God's ear!

LaRae
Lol, just saying some people want to meet his missus. He could bring her along next year. It would be nice and she would likely receive a bouquet of flowers in the end. Just saying...

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Lol, just saying some people want to meet his missus. He could bring her along next year. It would be nice and she would likely receive a bouquet of flowers in the end. Just saying...

Interesting the (protective) response he had to the comment. If she's going to join the BRF there won't be much option to hide.

LaRae
Old 11-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Interesting the (protective) response he had to the comment. If she's going to join the BRF there won't be much option to hide.

LaRae
Yeah, one thing I notice with Harry, and even William, they are very protective of their women.

I’m sure Harry appreciated that someone acknowledged Meghan at this event.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

LaRae
I think that's because the first question was a joking "where is she today" kind of thing...and as she's not a royal spouse at the moment she'd have to be in the shadows were she there.

That said, it does make you wonder if there have been more events than we know through the years with royal girlfriends/boyfriends quietly hanging out in the wings, unnoticed.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Courtier

I don’t know if royal spouses typically attend a event like this if they don’t have military associations themselves? I know last year Duke of Edinburgh attended as well as Harry, but Meghan is unlikely to have military associations even if they marry in the next year.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
I think that's because the first question was a joking "where is she today" kind of thing...and as she's not a royal spouse at the moment she'd have to be in the shadows were she there.

That said, it does make you wonder if there have been more events than we know through the years with royal girlfriends/boyfriends quietly hanging out in the wings, unnoticed.
Yes; Sophie, Mike Tindall and even Beatrice and Eugenie’s boyfriends. Sophie (as a royal girlfriend) was turning up to events in the 90’s when one would never expected it. She was like an official member of the royal family before she was a family member.

Every once in a while Mike would turn up places with Zara and the family.

Beatrice and Eugenie’s boyfriends are or once known to show up to family gatherings at the races or flower shows.

I just think Harry and William are far more protective of their privacy. Especially with the things their parents went through back in the day. Also, they like sticking to protocol more.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yeah, one thing I notice with Harry, and even William, they are very protective of their women.

I’m sure Harry appreciated that someone acknowledged Meghan at this event.
It's a double edged sword you know....I'm sure he's very proud of her and it must tickle him that someone mentions her in a warm way ...but that the same time he must be apprehensive about it too.

William has made no bones about the privacy issue. We've seen that play out. Harry is clearly going to take a very similar position and you can't blame either of them. I cheer them on about it.

LaRae
Old 11-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Majesty

So many posters have mentioned others as billing Harry and Meghan as the next BIG thing. Not so I think. For myself, I was intrigued by Meghan and as another poster said, did my research reading articles and watching videos about her and her life.

What I found was (to me) someone who is comfortable in her own skin and, it didn't just happen, she worked for it, to understand there are more than two colours in the world and she is living proof. She did what her dad told her and drew her own box, and now, all these years later, we see the result.

We see a woman who has worked for everything she has. Nobody gave her her degree . . . she worked for it, the same goes for her career. If you don't work for it, study your lines, work with your fellow cast members, spend time promoting your show, you become a dead weight and get written out. I found the fact that the cast and crew of her show didn't brag on about Harry visiting on set or that Harry was even in town, as a mark of their regard for Meghan as a person.

I am impressed with a young woman who has worked hard for what she has and, having gotten it, has not forgotten to give back. Today that is far rarer a gift than mere talent. I will admit that I admire Meghan for her own sake and that she and Harry have fallen in love is wonderful for both of them. I liked the way she spoke of her love in the VF interview. She unashamedly admitted that she was in love and she loves a love story. Are we all too jaded to admit that we love one too?

Harry has always been a favourite of mine, second sons always seem to have trouble finding their way. There is no particular reason other than they are who they are. We have watched him grow and mature and come to the sad conclusion that he may never find someone that was willing to take on him and all the royal baggage. Yet seeing fuzzy pictures of him with Meghan lifts the heart and I love that he seems so very 'Princess Victoria' with Meghan and find myself hoping that they both have their "Love Story".
Old 11-09-2017, 06:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
It's a double edged sword you know....I'm sure he's very proud of her and it must tickle him that someone mentions her in a warm way ...but that the same time he must be apprehensive about it too.

William has made no bones about the privacy issue. We've seen that play out. Harry is clearly going to take a very similar position and you can't blame either of them. I cheer them on about it.

LaRae
Privacy is important to him and William. I cheer them on about it too.

Although, he will be more relaxed once he and Meghan make that big decision. I know it was a burden off of William and Catherine’s shoulders once they became officially engaged and was able to go about their life in a more public way. Not trying to dodge everything.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I think so too Dman...right now everything is very much heightened since nothing has been announced. After that folks know how it's going to work and what comes next etc.

LaRae
Old 11-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Aristocracy

We are very much stuck in a spot of having little to chat about other than predicting dates for next steps, since most of what can be known about Meghan without her assistance seems to have been uncovered already. But how about this for a little variation in the speculation game:

If/when these two do announce an engagement they'll likely have a press conference and/or official interview. We know the reporters will probably ask how he proposed, because they always do. What else would you hope is asked and answered on that day?

Closed Thread