The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I figure if they marry next year and there are no issues that they will most likely have 2 children by the time she's 40/41. I have a sister in law that didn't have a child until she was 43.

LaRae

Old 11-08-2017, 09:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know who's 'word it is' that Harry and Meghan won't be announcing their engagement until after Kate has had her child. All these 'follow my leader' articles about that happening (including the Fail) can be tracked back to one source, someone anonymous apparently told the website the Daily Beast that nugget, and Tom Sykes, a writer who for years has written negative stuff about Harry, duly repeated it in his DB column.

Even then he qualified it, by also consulting Richard Palmer and others. Penny Junor hasn't been a great fan of Harry either over the years so I expected her to be a doom-sayer. She has made similar remarks shortly after the romance was revealed. The truth is nobody knows what is going on.

I think it's quite natural for people to become interested in Harry's romance, especially since it has lasted well over a year. People are allowed surely to express their liking for his girlfriend and for what they see as those qualities that will stand her in good stead if and when she becomes a Royal. There was a fair amount of excitement over Kate and when she and William would become engaged and so it is now, with this couple.

With Prince Philip's retirement and the Queen unfortunately ageing, the younger royals, and that doesn't just mean the Cambridges but Harry (and his wife) too, will be doing more and more.

Harry will be a King's son and brother and will be carrying on royal duties for the rest of his life probably so he will hardly be hiding away in the back of the pack.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The truth is nobody knows what is going on
BINGO!!!!

You speak the truth Curryong. While it's fun to speculate, we're just going to have to be patient and let things unfold in the couple's timeline.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Nobility

Yes, we are all just waiting for real, actual news. Both Meghan & Harry have a way of keeping us guessing, and of keeping us surprised. More than likely it's simply that they are still enjoying this time for themselves. As Meghan said in the VF interview, their private time under the radar is very special because it belongs to them alone. Per Meghan: "It's just ours, that's what makes it special." Thus, H&M may not be in a big hurry to let the media in more than they have just yet.

Plus, there are complicated logistics involved if they are indeed making wedding plans. They may wish to have as many things resolved and planned out as possible prior to going public with an engagement announcement. IOW, they're putting all their ducks in a row, selecting a venue, figuring out the best date, possibly discussing the scope of anticipated guest list, putting into motion coordination between all of the various palace staffs, contemplating security concerns & seeking logistical advice, etc. They may in fact hope to have as short a lead-up time to the actual wedding, in order to stave off the worst of the media frenzy and OTT build-up as possible.

For all we know, Meghan may be getting on just fine with members of the royal family and palace staff. Plus, she surely is being given the opportunity to learn as much as possible about royal protocol and the firm's inner workings. Her background as an actress as well as a humanitarian, certainly makes Meghan ideally 'suited' to the public role(s) she will be expected to successfully manage as Prince Harry's wife. They will likely have at least 2 to 3 children if they marry next year (if possible and feasible). That said, with all of the help available in the form of nannies, friends, relatives and palace staff, Meghan's time is certainly not going to be taken up solely as a royal housewife and a diaper-changing mother! I think Harry & Meghan will be taking a fresh and refreshing approach to their lives and their royal duties that will in fact add to and enhance British royal traditions.

To paraphrase something I read recently: William and Kate will eventually reign as King and Queen. Harry & Meghan will be their helpmates, but H&M will also be able to approach their own lives with a bit more freedom than W&K. So it's a wonderful thing that the personalities of each couple seem suited to the royal roles that separately confront them.

BTW, the Channel 4 documentary is now available in full on Youtube, entitled: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: Truly Madly Deeply. It's rehash for the most part obviously, but well worth viewing and forming your own opinion (filtering wheat from chaff; facts from half-truths, lies, speculation and embellishment).
Old 11-08-2017, 10:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, Maia. I will be taking a look, purely for research reasons of course.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Her background as an actress as well as a humanitarian certainly make Meghan ideally 'suited' to the public role(s) she will be expected to manage as Prince Harry's wife...I think Harry & Meghan will be taking a fresh and refreshing approach to their lives and their royal duties that will in fact add to and enhance the royal traditions...H&M will also be able to approach their own lives with a bit more freedom than W&K. So it's a wonderful thing that the personalities of each couple are suited to the royal roles that separately confront them.
A lot of people reiterate this point that her background in acting and her humanitarian interests give her a leg up. I agree to a certain extent but I’m not understanding how that makes her perfectly suited to being a royal. In what ways will Harry and Meghan be ‘fresh and refreshing’ or necessarily have ‘more freedom in their role within the royal family? I’m just trying to understand what is meant by that. You’re not the only one who’s said it.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Harry will be a King's son and brother and will be carrying on royal duties for the rest of his life probably so he will hardly be hiding away in the back of the pack.
Tell that to Prince Andrew...

Anyhoo, back to Harry and Meghan. I think they're a lovely couple, I hope they get married, in whatever timeline they think best.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post

Anyhoo, back to Harry and Meghan. I think they're a lovely couple, I hope they get married, in whatever timeline they think best.
Very different situation when Andrew was younger. The Queen had a number of relations already working for her. Then Andrew was in the military awhile and not doing many engagements. His marital situation didn't do him any favors. Plus from what I understand his manner can be a bit off putting. Not a great combo for public service.

LaRae
Old 11-08-2017, 11:15 PM
Nobility

Well @Ellie Cat, Prince Andrew is the third of four children of a sovereign. Prince Harry is the second of two sons of a future monarch. And Harry is very close to his brother, Prince William, who will one day be King. Also, ITA with the distinctions @Pranter has pointed out above.

@Anna Catherine, those are good questions you are asking. The truth is that we don't know for sure, and that is partly what makes H&M as a royal couple so intriguing. My view of H&M is based upon what I've learned about each of them through their interviews, speeches, photos, their public interaction with each other, and a bit of what I've read that's not tabloid crap.

Meghan is not the greatest and most accomplished actress in the world, but she has worked very hard at her craft and she's achieved a notable measure of success through dedication and hard work. Many of us do not realize all that being involved in a television series entails. Meghan grew up on the set of a television series, so in many ways she had a head start in terms of understanding something of the long hours and behind-the-scenes nitty-gritty. As an actor on Suits, Meghan has had to learn her lines, spend time in make-up and wardrobe, get along with her fellow actors, the head production staff, and the entire film crew. Over the course of her time on Suits, Meghan also took the initiative to advocate for her character to not always appear in skimpy attire during romantic scenes. Meghan has had to work with other cast on table readings, rehearsals, long nights of filming scenes and re-takes, as well as participating in publicity ads, print and television interviews, photo shoots, premieres, promotional events and tours. At the same time, as Suits became increasingly successful, Meghan began to think about other ways to increase her income and to build her image in a way that combined her personal interests in fashion, food, travel and lifestyle pursuits. From a young age, Meghan apparently learned from her parents the importance of caring about those less fortunate than herself. So starting her website The Tig fulfilled many of these objectives (self-promotion to build a brand; giving back to others; learning about and sharing with others her interests in fashion, food, travel, beauty tips, etc). Added to all of this, Meghan found the time to adopt and lovingly nurture two rescue dogs. And she's also publicly advocated for others to adopt needy shelter dogs.

The Tig website venture eventually led to Meghan forming a relationship with Reitmans department store to create an affordable capsule fashion collection. As well, one of Meghan's essays on The Tig website led to her being asked to join UN Women and One World Vision. Around the time that Meghan met Prince Harry, she was beginning to receive wider attention from people in the entertainment, politics, humanitarian, travel, fashion fitness & beauty, and upscale lifestyle fields. Her life might have taken any number of directions after her acting career ended. Meghan was on the cusp of achieving greater recognition and perhaps coming to a crossroads of decisionmaking as to what direction to take next, even had she not met Prince Harry in mid-2016.

We are all on the outside looking in. But I form my opinions based on a number of factors, which include not only my own knowledge, background and life experiences, but also reading, researching and thoughtfully reflecting on what I have learned. I have studied film history, and the acting profession, and I also have a background in the magazine industry and in the legal field. Plus, I've followed the British royals to an extent for many years, and I've read extensively about them.

That said, I do not think I know anything for certain. We are all speculating based on our best guesses, as well as on the solid facts we do know. When I first heard about Meghan dating Prince Harry, I was unaware of her and her work on Suits. Many things were written about her as soon as the dating news hit. Instead of forming an immediate opinion, I did some research and checked out her Instagram and her website, and looked at her U.N. speech, her revealing interview with Larry King, clips of her work with One World Vision in Rwanda, other interviews and published essays by Meghan, etc. I became impressed with the person that Meghan is, and I also became more interested in learning about Prince Harry's trajectory and the person he has become. They are both fascinating and charismatic people individually. It seems like a true love match that's also grounded in love of family and a genuine caring for other people. Plus, they both seem to be fun-loving and kinda sassy and adventurous in their approach to life. That's where I see their fresh, unpredictable appeal.

I'm sure that Meghan has had a steep learning curve, as she was used to courting attention and being quite open and generous with her fans, as well as outspoken about her opinions. She's probably been learning a great deal over the course of the past year not only about royal protocol, but also about life in an impossible fishbowl. I would think that her genuine connection with and love for Prince Harry is what makes the downside of the OTT public interest and tabloid crush, manageable.

I think Meghan's humanitarian endeavors are an obvious match for what will be expected of her as a royal wife. And her acting background has also prepared her for working long, exhaustive hours with others as part of a team. I don't think we should underestimate what it takes to learn your lines and to take on the challenge of portraying different characters in front of a camera. Actors in fact learn how to understand something about human nature in order to portray different roles. And as an actor, Meghan knows how to be both giving and withholding, both vulnerable & accessible while at the same time mysterious and unfathomable. Many royal observers have commented on how royal life today incorporates an aspect of celebrity. So, in that sense Meghan's knowledge of acting and celebrity gives her some important advantages that can aid in her further 'royalty' learning process.

Of course, the major difference is that should she marry Prince Harry, Meghan will be taking on a new role that will last a lifetime.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post

Andrew and Fergie had a number of scandals that did them no favors with the public and completely avoidable. Andrew’s own actions has led to many discussions about whether royals are profiting from their roles. Completely different situations. I would suggest Harry staying away from any position that can be seen as profiting from his public role, which so far hasn’t been a problem as he’s shown no interest in trade ambassador roles and such.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:43 AM
Nobility

Here's an interesting article on BBC.com, discussing Meghan's life and close friendships with Toronto 'royalty,' prior to her meeting and dating Prince Harry:

Meghan Markle and her life among Toronto 'royalty' - BBC News

"... Markle seems to have 'a poise and a sweetness and a calm demeanour that should stand her in good stead to go into the [British] Royal Family.'"

"[Meghan's] connection to Canada is something Amanda Dishaw [of Meghan's Mirror blog] believes 'plays in her favour with the Royal family,' given [Canada's] status as a Commonwealth nation."

Hmmm, while this piece is generally positive toward Meghan, I must say I find intriguing the increasing attempts by the media and royal watchers to place Meghan in a sort of more 'socially acceptable' or 'relatable' framework in relation to her apparent impending engagement to Prince Harry. In other words, there seems to be a bit of disassociating Meghan from her L.A. background, her African-American heritage, and indeed even her American citizenship altogether.

The fact is that it's who Meghan is herself as a person that has captured Harry's heart, and not these ancillary circumstances such as her residing in Toronto and being descended 15 generations back to the same British ancestor as Harry's. Meghan is still an all-American California girl with an ethnically diverse heritage. Her background and upbringing prepared her to flourish in Toronto, where she has faced challenges, welcomed opportunities, and met amazing people whom she has also impacted and influenced, even as her own horizons were vastly broadened and the course of her life was changed. How much was fate? How much coincidence?

At any rate, Meghan Markle brings a lot to the table in her own right. While her Suits success, and her connections and friendships in Toronto certainly led to her meeting Prince Harry, once again, it is who Meghan is herself that won her those connections and friendships. She clearly has a hard work ethic, she's articulate and well-educated, she's stylish and charming, she's passionate about giving back and advocating for others, and she's apparently a fun-loving person who's not afraid to pursue all the fine and adventurous things that life can offer.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:59 AM
Majesty

Harry is never going to disappear into a black hole. People don't care about how close someone is to the throne. They are interested in people who are Exciting to watch.

Charles seems to want to focus on him and his family. That means when he is king, there will intense focus on BOTH his sons. Yes there will be his siblings still off doing work, but they will become like the Gloucesters and Kents now. Unless some huge scandal comes up, they wont make much news. Harry will not suffer that fait for many a decade to come.

The reality is until George and his siblings are done college, and full time royals, Harry and his wife are the spares. Spares in that they are the ones doing the events and getting the attention. If George is allowed to play 'country gent and dad' as long as William was, it could be almost 30 years before he becomes a full time royal.

Harry and Meghan are going to be doing a lot of work for the royals when Charles is King. And if we don't think Meghan will give Kate a run for her money in attention, just because Kate is the future queen, you only have to look back to the 80's. Fergie was hugely popular when she came on to the scene. There was a time she was more popular then Diana. They were constantly pitted against each other in media. Who dressed better? Who was friendlier? Meghan and Kate will likely be Fergie/Diana 2.0.

Nor is Meghan going to 'disappear having babies for 10 years.' That would be suggesting not only does she plan to have kids until she is 47 years old, but she is never going to be a stay at home mother. She will have a job, its called being a royal. Like Kate, she will have nannies and housekeepers. If her and Harry's main home is London, makes it even easier for her to balance the two roles. I actually think she will return from maternity leave sooner then Kate. This is a woman who has spent her entire adult life working and supporting herself. I don't see her sitting back too long.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The US can go into meltdown as much as it wants to for all I care but with being a royal watcher, I've seen this relationship develop and got to know a little bit about the person that has captured Harry's interest. Unfortunately, we live in a world where people are stereotyped usually by one word as if that defined the all of who a person is.

I definitely see Meghan as a person that would take her place in the scheme of things seriously and totally. I don't think she'll be the type of person that will work *for* the Firm but will mesh in and work *with* the Firm to support it in any way she can. If anyone can cross the bridge between being a celebrity into being a royal, I think Meghan would be it.
I agree with this, but Meghan can't control what people write about her, or if people find her interesting. We may understand her place in the hierarchy, but the general public doesn't really care about that. There will be interest in Meghan that may bely her actual rank, just because she is different. I'm sure it will drive some people crazy, but it won't be Meghan's fault if people, or the media are interested in her.

To me, attention grabbing means someone actively courting attention for themselves. I don't see Meghan doing that at all. She'll play her part. But it won't change the attention she will get.

Just like Meghan's "fans" will need to temper their expectations of what her role will actually be, I'm thinking people who aren't that crazy about her, are going to need to temper their expectations as well. She is probably going to be getting more attention and coverage then some may feel she warrants. She won't be fading into the background, through no fault of her own.

Edit: Countessmeout, you said what I was trying to say, just better! Not everyone is a dedicated "royal watcher", nor do they care about rank. And let's not pretend that it's just American's that feel that way.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:35 AM
Majesty

Being royal is not about having a crown and being the head of the country. They are figure heads anyways. Yes, the pageantry and tradition is important. But they also need to be seen, and seen doing work and promoting good causes. The last thing that the BRF needs is any more senior royals being classified as 'lazy' or 'work shy'. As the son of the eventual king, Harry is a senior royal, and so will his wife.

It doesn't benefit the royal family to hide Meghan to make Kate shine. By that reasoning Kate would be hiding at Amner, and Sophie and Anne would be retired off, to make sure all focus was on Camilla. Camilla is next queen consort after all. Yet we don't see that happening and we wont.

Besides any ceremonial duties they have, the main function of royals is charity work. Being at events and promoting the charities and the work. Once the older ones retire off, the Cambridges and Harry/Meghan are going to have a huge void to fill. Meghan will not have the luxury Kate did of easing into things. Kate married a part time royal, Meghan will be marrying a man who is transitioning into full time. Like Kate had to take her lead, be part time, from her husband. Meghan will be expected to do the same.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Being royal is not about having a crown and being the head of the country. They are figure heads anyways. Yes, the pageantry and tradition is important. But they also need to be seen, and seen doing work and promoting good causes. The last thing that the BRF needs is any more senior royals being classified as 'lazy' or 'work shy'. As the son of the eventual king, Harry is a senior royal, and so will his wife.

It doesn't benefit the royal family to hide Meghan to make Kate shine. By that reasoning Kate would be hiding at Amner, and Sophie and Anne would be retired off, to make sure all focus was on Camilla. Camilla is next queen consort after all. Yet we don't see that happening and we wont.

Besides any ceremonial duties they have, the main function of royals is charity work. Being at events and promoting the charities and the work. Once the older ones retire off, the Cambridges and Harry/Meghan are going to have a huge void to fill. Meghan will not have the luxury Kate did of easing into things. Kate married a part time royal, Meghan will be marrying a man who is transitioning into full time. Like Kate had to take her lead, be part time, from her husband. Meghan will be expected to do the same.
Well said. I just think it's a lot of wishful thinking on the part of some. They are hoping Meghan and Harry fade away. Meghan and Harry could get married and Meghan could end up doing absolutely nothing but cutting ribbons, and she'd still get written about. Fair or not, that's just how those things work. Eventually the newness factor will wear off, but that's going to take awhile.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:28 AM
Nobility

Definitely, Meghan & Harry will NOT be 'fading away.' I think the royals will be lucky to have Meghan Markle in their midst. On the other hand, no matter the 'noise' and OTT interest from tabloids, mainstream media, and royal followers, I believe that Prince William, Prince Harry, and their respective partners Kate & Meghan, will be working together as a unit. No matter the 'attention' that those of us outside the firm wish to place on H&M's relationship, and on Meghan's unique background, it might behoove us to remember that neither H nor M are interested in being obsessed over by the public. They will continue to guard and protect their privacy.

Similar to how Prince William is conducting his private family life, I think Prince Harry will follow suit. That's the expectation and the reality that we should get used to. As we've already seen, the more crazy, divisive and pushy the media and tabloids become, the more Prince Harry & Meghan will pull back. They may do things slightly differently and in unexpected ways, but they will also be following royal protocol and working together in concert as much as possible with William & Kate.

I believe that Kate and Meghan will be supportive allies, as they both seem to be kind-hearted young ladies who are very much in love with their royal significant others. Whatever the family relationships and tensions that exist among the royals, the Charles & Diana years seem to have taught them the wisdom of keeping any conflicts completely within the bosom of the family. H&M's personal lives will not be on display for public consumption.

It will be H&M's charities, their public duties and the causes for which they intend to advocate, that will be where Meghan and Harry will shine. As we have seen during their courtship, any attempt by the tabloid media and royal watchers to cross the line will not be tolerated. So we can admire them from afar, and perhaps take inspiration from the causes they champion and the good they will do in the world. Of course, we will see photos and family gatherings at public ceremonial events. Of course, there will be plenty of articles and ongoing media speculation and made-up stories. But it's not necessary nor worthwhile to participate in any kind of speculative OTT 'competitive' scenarios. These days, the royals face the world as a united front.

While I believe that Harry's soon-to-be position as sixth-in-line to the throne allows him a measure of freedom in some aspects of the choices he makes, he is still cognizant of his role as a British royal. And he's seemingly respectful of his heritage and of his grandmother's honored legacy and her dedication to royal traditions. In areas where they feel it's important, I think both William and Harry have shown that they are not afraid to break with some strictured and stiff-upper-lipped attitudes & traditions that don't serve any beneficial purpose in today's world.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:45 AM
Courtier

.. Kate was young an unexperienced when she married - unexperienced at beeing playing a public role. Meghan has the experience of giving speaches, representation, red carpets, charity, meet-and-greet etc. and is much older then Kate was, when she entered royal life.

So it will be much easier for her to become a working royal and she will be surefooted very soon in that business - when and if they marry.

She is not a bad choice - just a bit old regarding the ticking clock... and yes women do have kids later on in live but not only the risks of a pregnancy are higher but the chances to have kids are lower - whatever and whereever medicine is today. And I cant see a surrogate pregnancie for an english royal - the involved risks and backdraws a just too high.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:19 AM
Heir Apparent

"And I cant see a surrogate pregnancie for an english royal - the involved risks and backdraws a just too high."

Or an anonymous egg donor.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

This would not happen as a child would have to be their own biological child...
Old 11-09-2017, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Harry visits Westminster Abbey Field of Remembrance | Daily Mail Online

A little discussion about Meghan between Harry and one of the attendees

LaRae

Closed Thread