Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
No Rush to the Altar for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Will Get to the Church in Their Own Time
Tom Sykes has written negative articles about Harry in the past so I would take this article with a pinch of salt.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Majesty

Simply the insinuation that an announcement Has to wait until after the new Cambridge baby is born

While yes they aren't going to plan a wedding on her due date, there is no need to wait to make an announcement until after April. Families don't plan entire lives around pregnancies. Births perhaps, but pregnancies? I highly doubt anyone expects Harry, or others like Eugenie, to put their life on hold while baby Cambridge is baking in the oven.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Heir Apparent

So silly, the idea they can't announce an engagement till after Baby Cambridge is born. They are just trying to stir things and get a reaction.

LaRae
Old 11-05-2017, 08:57 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Getting real information on Harry and Meghan and their plans is proving to be as difficult as trying to break into Fort Knox and count the gold bars. All we have is bits and pieces of a 5,000 piece jigsaw puzzle and we've not even put the edges all together yet.

These two are expert at keeping things to themselves.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Getting real information on Harry and Meghan and their plans is proving to be as difficult as trying to break into Fort Knox and count the gold bars. All we have is bits and pieces of a 5,000 piece jigsaw puzzle and we've not even put the edges all together yet.

These two are expert at keeping things to themselves.
They need to teach a class to other royals (or high profile folks) how to sneak around the media!

LaRae
Old 11-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
When (and if) Megham moves permanently to the UK I think she will have to relinquish her World Vision work as she is a global ambassador for World Vision Canada and she will obviously no longer be in Canada.

She has also worked for the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women as an Advocate. She is an excellent speaker and an ardent believer in her cause and would hopefully be able to continue that work.
I have been thinking that the royal family wants to be able to use the title "charity worker" or "philanthropist" when the engagement announcement is made NOT actress. To that end, this reported moving to London may push back the engagement announcement to perhaps after baby Cambridge is born and the British people have gotten use to Megan.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Gentry

Our biggest clue that an engagement IS pending is that all the people are queuing to sing her praises: actress friends who want to be sure they are recognized as "friends", "allies." Her own sister, suddenly her biggest fan, which we know was not always the case. Wink wink. "Look at me, Meghan, hey Meghan, I'm here, remember me? Don't forget me! I'm here, I'm ready, baby!"
Old 11-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
able to use the title "charity worker" or "philanthropist"
We were NOT 'born yesterday'.. , IF she has ANY profile in the UK it is as an American Actress, and the few that do know her, know her as just that.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Aristocracy

The idea that there is even anything wrong with referring to her as an actress.. Can we all move into the 21st century, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
No Rush to the Altar for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Will Get to the Church in Their Own Time
Oh my, Tom Sykes is all over the place with this article.

Waiting until after Kate gives birth to announce an engagement?

The idea that they can't announce an engagement after November?

Harry being both a commitment-phobe AND love addict??

"The longer it doesn't happen, the more doubt I have about it" HUH???

Meghan still living/filming in Toronto as a sign that an engagement isn't happening soon?

What utter nonsense.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I have been thinking that the royal family wants to be able to use the title "charity worker" or "philanthropist" when the engagement announcement is made NOT actress. To that end, this reported moving to London may push back the engagement announcement to perhaps after baby Cambridge is born and the British people have gotten use to Megan.

I don’t see that happening. This isn’t 1920 and Meghan’s shown no sign of being embarrassed by her career (nor should she). As far as actresses go, her career has been fairly tame; she’s been the romantic interest, sure (but then, who hasn’t?), but doesn’t seem to have had any topless or nude scenes.

She isn’t comparable to, say, Sofia of Sweden, who did go through some serious rebranding before her marriage.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
We were NOT 'born yesterday'.. we know she is an American actress, IF she has ANY profile in the UK it is as that, and no-one knows her in any other connection.
It doesn't matter if no one knows her by any other connection. You don't forgo referring to a philanthropist as such because no one knows who they are or what they do. The latter is even more reason to use said titles and labels.

It's not a bad idea at all to highlight the fact that Meghan does other work and isn't just an actress. However, there isn't anything wrong with people thinking/knowing she's an actress. Delaying an engagement annoucement for that reason is unnecessary.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
The idea that there is even anything wrong with referring to her as an actress.. Can we all move into the 21st century, please!

Oh my, Tom Sykes is all over the place with this article.

Waiting until after Kate gives birth to announce an engagement?

The idea that they can't announce an engagement after November?

Harry being both a commitment-phobe AND love addict??

"The longer it doesn't happen, the more doubt I have about it" HUH???

Meghan still living/filming in Toronto as a sign that an engagement isn't happening soon?

What utter nonsense.
Apparently they don't understand contracts and filming schedules. If she is still in Toronto its because they are completing the 7th season of the show and she is obligated to fulfill her contract to the show.

Save
Old 11-06-2017, 04:07 PM
Gentry

I have to admit this thread is something of a guilty pleasure to me now!
Old 11-06-2017, 07:18 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I cannot, for the life of me, see either Harry or Meghan accepting as fact that Meghan would have to be "rebranded" to appeal to the British people. In fact, I would even go as far to think that they'd think it would be a huge insult. Harry fell in love with the whole package that is Meghan just as Meghan fell in love with the whole package that is Harry. Each aspect of the person makes up the whole of who they are.

The idea that a person should be "reformed" in order to sway public opinion is just preposterous. We know its been done before by "spin doctors" and that they were doing it was so obvious that its laughable. I don't think they'd make that same mistake again.

The whole of who Meghan Markle is remarkable and each aspect of her will not only fit into the "Firm" and the British scheme of things but also enhance it.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think she will be re-branded ...can't imagine for what reason she would need to be.

LaRae
Old 11-06-2017, 08:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I cannot, for the life of me, see either Harry or Meghan accepting as fact that Meghan would have to be "rebranded" to appeal to the British people. In fact, I would even go as far to think that they'd think it would be a huge insult. Harry fell in love with the whole package that is Meghan just as Meghan fell in love with the whole package that is Harry. Each aspect of the person makes up the whole of who they are.

The idea that a person should be "reformed" in order to sway public opinion is just preposterous. We know its been done before by "spin doctors" and that they were doing it was so obvious that its laughable. I don't think they'd make that same mistake again.

The whole of who Meghan Markle is remarkable and each aspect of her will not only fit into the "Firm" and the British scheme of things but also enhance it.
Also I keep hearing that the British people have to "get used to her". What's the barometer for that? How will that be measured? When the press stop writing crappy articles about her? Can we just be honest and admit, there are some people who will never "get used" to Meghan. She could cure cancer and she'd be accused of putting doctors out of work.

Rebranding? To what end? She's not some 20 year old fresh out of school with no identity. Here is who Meghan is: she's an actress, American, biracial, had ancestors who were slaves, divorced, child of divorce, a college graduate from one of the best schools in the US, philanthropist, humanitarian, a business woman, 36 years old, and probably some other things I forgot. There is not one thing on there she needs to be ashamed of, or apologize for. This is who she is, and if Harry wanted something different, or had a problem with anything on that list he'd have picked someone different. And if his family was unhappy, he'd know that by now.

Now last time I heard, the press thought they were rushing things. Now their moving too slow? Really?
Old 11-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was just thinking of a plausible explanation as to why Meghan would be moving to London for doing charity.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

She can't just move to London to do charity as I understand it ...she has to have a job or a fiancee visa (6 months max) etc.

LaRae
Old 11-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
She can't just move to London to do charity as I understand it ...she has to have a job or a fiancee visa (6 months max) etc.

LaRae
Exactly. Either she needs to be collecting a paycheck or somebody's fiancee. Either an employer is sponsoring her visa or a fiancee is. Those are the options. Barring that, she will just have to continue visiting on a tourist visa, which has its limits as well. People are making this more complicated than need be.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

My feeling is she won't be coming to live in the UK unless an announcement is made and she will be using a fiancee visa.

LaRae

Closed Thread