The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I agree completely! Those years were beyond insane and no royal girlfriend and her family should go through it again.

Although, none of this mean Meghan should be treated special, but the load of conspiracies, unfounded rumors and other senseless gossip isn’t good.

I agree too.

LaRae

Old 10-30-2017, 10:44 PM
Aristocracy

Wow another tv programme on the romance. This time ITV at 9pm next Monday. They must be pretty confident an announcement is coming. Not what you expect from BBC/ITV at prime time. These sort of programmes are normally channel 4 or 5.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:55 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
Wow another tv programme on the romance. This time ITV at 9pm next Monday. They must be pretty confident an announcement is coming. Not what you expect from BBC/ITV at prime time. These sort of programmes are normally channel 4 or 5.
This is overkill! We did not get any documentaries on Chelsy or Cressida but they were with Harry longer than Meghan has been. Did Kate get any documentaries prior to her engagement to William? No!

While I do hope they are engaged and we get a wedding, part of me also wants the hype to be killed and not get engaged so all these interviews with estranged family members and documentaries about Meghan would have been for nothing.

This is too much for a couple who have not yet announced their engagement.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:27 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
Having looked at the preview it looks as cheaply made as the channel 4 programme! It even has some of the same people being interviewed. Meghan's estranged half sister Samantha who she hasn't spoken to in a decade is also in it. They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with these programmes.

Unfortunately all of this just puts unnecessary pressure on the couple. It is really unusual for mainstream tv channels to make a programme about a royal girlfriend of just one year when an engagement has not been announced. They are all just trying to cash in.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTchic View Post
This is overkill! We did not get any documentaries on Chelsy or Cressida but they were with Harry longer than Meghan has been. Did Kate get any documentaries prior to her engagement to William? No!

While I do hope they are engaged and we get a wedding, part of me also wants the hype to be killed and not get engaged so all these interviews with estranged family members and documentaries about Meghan would have been for nothing.

This is too much for a couple who have not yet announced their engagement.
Yes, there were several documentaries on Catherine and William before their engagement. Some can still be found on YouTube. Many knew that William found his future wife at St. Andrews, Including me.

With Harry and Meghan, it remains a wait and see. There’s real love and something special here. I’m trying not to jinx this this. I just pray for the couple as I did for William and Catherine.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-31-2017, 07:41 AM
Courtier

I think one of the differences here is Meghan, because of her acting career, is technically a "public" figure. And then there is Harry's public affirmation of the relationship.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Dman, can you give the titles of these documentaries about William and Kate that were aired before the engagement announcement? I don’t really recall any. There was the Claudia Joseph book about Kate’s ancestors that was pre engagement but it was 2009 so in the later half of the dating period.

However a lot of stuff on British doesn’t make it over the pond to the US. The ITV and BBC ones about British royals usually even up on PBS but I don’t think the channel 4 stuff makes it over.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Dman, can you give the titles of these documentaries about William and Kate that were aired before the engagement announcement? I don’t really recall any. There was the Claudia Joseph book about Kate’s ancestors that was pre engagement but it was 2009 so in the later half of the dating period.

However a lot of stuff on British doesn’t make it over the pond to the US. The ITV and BBC ones about British royals usually even up on PBS but I don’t think the channel 4 stuff makes it over.
William and Kate: A Royal Love Story, etc. There were documentaries and tv programs before the Cambridge’s engagement. Yes, there were lots of articles on Catherine’s ancestry too. Robert Jobson were writing a book too. Many knew William and Catherine were going to make it down the aisle. It was always a question of when?.

I know seven years were a long time ago, but I remember those crazy years like it was yesterday. One have to remember William and Catherine dated for a long time, so that gave the media lots of time to reflect on their relationship. Catherine’s old school chums participated in those docs.

We just have to wait and see where Harry and Meghan are taking us.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-31-2017, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Please note that a number of posts concerning Prince Harry's RPOs have been moved to the Royal Security thread.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
William and Kate: A Royal Love Story, etc. There were documentaries and tv programs before the Cambridge’s engagement. Yes, there were lots of articles on Catherine’s ancestry too. Robert Jobson were writing a book too. Many knew William and Catherine were going to make it down the aisle. It was always a question of when?.

I know seven years were a long time ago, but I remember those crazy years like it was yesterday. One have to remember William and Catherine dated for a long time, so that gave the media lots of time to reflect on their relationship. Catherine’s old school chums participated in those docs.

We just have to wait and see where Harry and Meghan are taking us.
One program titled "William and Kate: A Royal Love Story" was broadcast on Dateline NBC on November 17, 2010--the day after the engagement announcement. I'm sure it was already mostly put together, just waiting for an official announcement--like how newspaper and TV news have obituaries put together ready to use.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
One program titled "William and Kate: A Royal Love Story" was broadcast on Dateline NBC on November 17, 2010--the day after the engagement announcement. I'm sure it was already mostly put together, just waiting for an official announcement--like how newspaper and TV news have obituaries put together ready to use.
Right, but there were other programs focused on William and Catherine’s relationship before their engagement. Some of the programs were redone again to accommodate the official engagement.

What we’re seeing with docs dedicated to Harry and Meghan was also done with the Cambridge’s. I’m sure there are docs being put together and on hold in case an engagement is announced.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-31-2017, 04:17 PM
Administrator

I remember purchasing book about the Kate and William relationship/romance before the engagement was announced or right as the engagement was announced. I can't remember which.

Yes, I am a sucker for books on royalty!

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were working on any books/tv programmes regarding this relationship. If and when it becomes official (i.e. engagement) it will be on the screens/book shelves very quickly.

People ask why would do they do this? Because there is an interest. Thats why the newspapers print the most inane articles...guessing and repeating the same thing over and over. People are interested. Not everyone but just enough to keep clicking.

You only have to look here...how many people have joined TRF because of this relationship? It was the same thing with William and Catherine. It was the same with Victoria and Daniel, etc.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I think one of the differences here is Meghan, because of her acting career, is technically a "public" figure. And then there is Harry's public affirmation of the relationship.
I think it because of Meghan's already existing public presence. There are at least 7 years worth of interviews, etc, pretty much since she's been on Suits to pull from. She's made speeches on social issues,etc in conjunction with her charity work. There's just more material to pull from with Meghan. Chelsy and Cressida did not have a public profile. There just wouldn't have been much to talk about. All that said, none of these documentaries seem to be breaking any new ground. They are just piecing together things you can already find on line, and talking to people she's not that close to.

Edit to Add: There is also interest because she is American and because of her background. When something is "new" it tends to pique some people's interest.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:28 AM
Nobility

This might be a tad off topic, but , here are some thoughts from a dinner party I was at last night. I must point out that we were a mixed age range , from mid 30's to late 60's. I can't remember how the subject came up, I think someone must have seen the trailer for Mondays programme.
Many people thought that all this media hype could have one of two effects, either
1: the couple go off "quietly" and get married , then announce it to the world,
or
2: the hype will kill the relationship altogether.

With regards to a wedding, many of the younger people thought that this should be low key, given that Megan has been married before.
One person said "they should pay for this themselves, is right that the Royal Family spend a fortune on a wedding when some people cannot heat their homes or feed their children"
Old 11-01-2017, 06:45 AM
Majesty

Royal weddings are a free gift to politicians. All sorts of overseas people are there ostensibly for said wedding, but can also be diplomatic value. It's a sad fact that big royal occasions are often far larger than the BRF would prefer, but the government and foreign office often see it as mana from heaven. It's payback, greasing the wheels, flattering and all without effort.

As to the wedding being small because she has been married before, Harry hasn't and it is a perfect vehicle to introduce his wife to his countrymen. It will be smaller than William's but on the other hand, after eight years everyone knew all about Catherine.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
people thought that this should be low key, given that Megan has been married before.
I'm inclined to agree with this sentiment...
Old 11-01-2017, 07:04 AM
Heir Apparent

They could surprise most everyone and do something very low key.

I tend to think maybe not though, considering the economic boost of having folks go to London to see a Royal Wedding and the very positive ratings that would come with it.

LaRae
Old 11-01-2017, 07:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Royal weddings are a free gift to politicians. All sorts of overseas people are there ostensibly for said wedding, but can also be diplomatic value. It's a sad fact that big royal occasions are often far larger than the BRF would prefer, but the government and foreign office often see it as mana from heaven. It's payback, greasing the wheels, flattering and all without effort.

As to the wedding being small because she has been married before, Harry hasn't and it is a perfect vehicle to introduce his wife to his countrymen. It will be smaller than William's but on the other hand, after eight years everyone knew all about Catherine.
I agree with Marg-the wedding would be Harry's too. And I thought that having to have small 2nd weddings were a thing of the past-leftover from when divorce was shameful.
Even his father's second wedding was an event. People like weddings.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
Many people thought that all this media hype could have one of two effects, either
1: the couple go off "quietly" and get married , then announce it to the world,
or
2: the hype will kill the relationship altogether.

One person said "they should pay for this themselves, is right that the Royal Family spend a fortune on a wedding when some people cannot heat their homes or feed their children"
Harry and Meghan seem to be pretty good at ignoring outside noise and just doing what they want. I doubt this hubbub will affect any of their personal decisions.

I'm sorry but dictating that someone spending their own money cannot spend it on a wedding because someone else is poor is ridiculous.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I'm sorry but dictating that someone spending their own money cannot spend it on a wedding because someone else is poor is ridiculous.
Kind of reminds me of growing up and having my mother tell me to eat all my vegetables and think of the starving children in China. Never could figure out how that last brussel sprout on my plate could help them out.

In the long run, whatever kind of a wedding Harry and Meghan would want, the public and the media will have no bearing on it whatsoever. That's the way it should be. If, in any way, shape or form, that we the public are invited to share in it in any way, that's a gift and we should be thankful for it.

Harry may be a senior royal and work for the "Firm" that deems him to be public property more or less but he's still as human as the rest of us and not a puppet on a string.