Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes introduce to the public like the way the other GFs have been introduced. When have I ever said to discuss her relationship with Harry and pose for Vanity Fair in this manner?

You have an odd view of sexy. Anyways, I don't see how others have been "introduced"? They were all caught on camera unexpectedly (including Kate) and just decided to go about their lives afterwards. No introduction as girlfriend to the public. Everyone just assumed.

BTW, just like to point out that Kate wore a very low cut dress to a state dinner. I didn't see anything wrong and thought that was very interesting look on her (different than her usual safe choices), but really this isn't that far from that. And much more appropriate place to show a little bit of skin if you ever plan to.

Last edited:
Do you have pearls that you clutch when a bit of skin is shown?

You're American, I'm a Brit. We are from different cultures. Don't try and insult me. Kate never talked to the press and she had it A LOT worse for several years, yet she kept her dignity.

The entire thing wasn't a disaster. It was one comment that was taken out of context. I hardly would call that "master mind".

I agree now about the comment being taken out of context. At the time I was aghast at it and even expressed it on this site, but now I have a different view.
I have been reading some books on the royal family. I just finished a couple on Queen Mary and it was said that upon King Edward VIII's abdication, King George VI broke down in tears at the thought that he was now king. It is a huge responsibility and the person it falls on really does not have a choice but to make the best of it, unless they want to cause a constitutional crisis. Harry was just being honest.

You missed out on the numerous events Kate attended although she remained in the background.

So if you're the palace what did the interview accomplish?

Explain to me why this was in anyone's best interest except Meghan Markle's

It was a bunch of come hither photos and Meghan talking about Harry.

They're geniuses over at the 'palace' :lol:

This was, in my eyes, given approval by Harry and done with her PR team.

You missed out on the numerous events Kate attended although she remained in the background.

William didn't have many official royal events in those days. She went to polo and the concert for Diana. Meghan isn't always in Britain, so she hasn't gone to nearly as many polo games. There were in general a lot more unofficial events that William went to that is no longer available to the boys as often today as it was back then. Part of it because they weren't working royals then.

I'm probably the only one believes the royal press team had nothing to do with that Vanity Fair interview, only Harry did. Either that, or they are playing with fire to show her as unsuitable.

1. She looks naked on the front cover. In the video, her buttons are half unbuttoned! She's looking at the camera trying to look sexy and playing with her hair. Compare this to Kate's Vogue editorial which was approved by the Royal press team. No way is the royal press team behind this!!!!

2. She's talking about her relationship with Harry. Obviously she got permission from Harry to do this.

How is this approved by the royal press team and please don't give me proof from what a certain Sun reporter says? As a GF, I don't believed she would need permission from the Royal press team. They don't own her.

I'm absolutely shocked with this, I thought she was learning to become discreet like other members previously said, but yet again she has to voice her opinions and release it just when the Cambridges announce baby news.

She's let it be known, she's certain they will marry. So either he's proposed or she knows it's in the bag. I found her context just like her past interviews rather arrogant.

Bad move...BUT an engagement is coming and I don't believe anyone can deny Harry's choice within his family.

She's going to be a nightmare IMO

Shocking, absolutely shocking move. This just fed more of the negative fire! How is this a good move PR wise? And I work in PR!

1, I believe she is wearing the same evening gown/cocktail dress on the front cover as in the full length photograph--it is one shouldered. This seems like a very considered article--I don't think Harry and Meghan decided to do this on their own.
2. Absolutely, I think this is the first official step to introduce Meghan as part of Harry's life (maybe the 2nd step if we count the Press Release from KP last November.) No, she wouldn't need "permission" to do the interview but since she has not done any interviews since the news broke last year, I doubt she would go rogue now.
This was not an indiscreet interview--all she said is she and Harry love each other--that's it. She didn't release it to compete with the Cambridge baby news. It was already scheduled to be released by Vanity Fair--the Cambridge news was unexpected.

I'm absolutely shocked with this, I thought she was learning to become discreet like other members previously said, but yet again she has to voice her opinions and release it just when the Cambridges announce baby news.

Yet again? It's included in her profession to talk about herself. She's an actor, and was famous in her own right before she met this english dude called Harry. The way she has kept things private in the last year is actually quite strange, considering she's still working and is also well known.

About the timing: The interview is from june. I don't think Meghan knew that Kate was pregnant. I don't think Kate herself knew, and she possibly wasn't even pregnant. I assume that they made a deal that the interview wouldn't be released before the anniversary of Dianas death - a date they all knew about in advance. So what do you suggest they should have done? Asked VF to withdraw the interview because Meghans possible sister-in-law turned out to be pregnant?

You're American, I'm a Brit. We are from different cultures. Don't try and insult me. Kate never talked to the press and she had it A LOT worse for several years, yet she kept her dignity.

You do have a point there but if I remember correctly, it was you, a Brit, that believed that Prince Charles was financed by the taxpayer and me, an American, that presented you with the cold, hard facts that he is not.

I do not try to insult anyone or denigrate anyone or their opinions but sometimes things people say just warrant a comment or three. :D

And maybe that was fine for Kate and William. Kate might be happier being quiet in the background. Harry and Meghan are two completely different people, who are building their relationship as they are. It's actually quite boring for Kate to be brought up in this thread as the paragon of virtue, when this thread is about Harry and Meghan, not Kate. I don't want to sidetrack and start critiquing Kate here.

I'm so happy, that Harry and Meghan both seem so assured and sure in this relationship. They're in it together, it's theirs. It's not him alone and her going along with it. They're building it as it fits them, and to me it looks lovely.

Of course this is about Meghan Markle. You think the Palace wouldn't have any interest in branding a potential wife for the Prince, a working royal, if things are serious enough between them? Especially since she'd be likely to begin as a working royal right after honeymoon. This presented her in a controlled environment.

This isn't the same as Kate because her situation is different from Kate. Kate came from a old fashioned family in Britain. The only thing different about her compared to former royal spouses is that she's not from aristocracy background marrying who will one day be King. Because of Meghan's past work and because of some of her family's more complicated history, there has been a lot of rumors out there. If the public doesn't hear about her and see this about her when an engagement is announced, it will get out of hand. What this allows them to do is to control the narrative. When an announcement is made, it's too late to start controlling the narrative with everything that's out there, true or not.

Some are acting like this is the end of the world or that this woman will bring down the monarchy somehow. Can someone tell me what did she say that we didn't already speculate on?

Last edited:
I think this was done at the time to mark their one year since they started dating. I'm sure it was planned by her PR team and Meghan got permission from Harry.

This was, in my eyes, given approval by Harry and done with her PR team.

I think the same.
And also that the reason for this article is to introduce her as a future royal wife.
Time will tell but I would bet we won't have to wait for too long...

We've all seen what happens when a marriage looks good on paper and all the "proper" and "suitable" boxes are checked off.

Yes I agree, and the Royal Family is still suffering the effects today from that one.

I'm thinking like Lainey, that this was the first step, first introduction, setting up a tone, and next steps will start to happen more frequently. It's no coincidence, that it was published 2 weeks before the IG.

BTW, does anyone still think she hasn't been working with Palace staff since late last year? I honestly don't think this is all of sudden for them. It might not be the that sought the opportunity, but they would take things into consideration as it comes up.

I know there were some people that was worried about her lack of understanding of protocol and culture, and etc. It's not that the rest of us didn't think that's something she'd have to overcome, but we are just confident the BRF are aware of it as well and is now offering more help than Diana and Fergie received.

For the most part, yes she did indeed. And even though I am an uncouth American I frankly prefer the discreet, dignified Royal girlfriend vs the... umm...other kind.:cool:

BUT...Harry has always been an iconoclast as the article says. I cannot see a guy like that with someone willing to play by the rules keep her head down and mouth shut until the day the ring is on her finger. He is different than William in many ways, the type of woman that made/makes William happy obviously won't do it for Harry.

Every one of the recent Royal princes of Harry's generation has been permitted to marry the woman of their choice. Harry should be afforded the same privilege.

She says they are happy and I believe her. And if they are happy, I am ecstatic.

I'm thinking like Lainey, that this was the first step, first introduction, setting up a tone, and next steps will start to happen more frequently. It's no coincidence, that it was published 2 weeks before the IG.

I think this will be the only interview we'll see from her though until an official announcement. She had the chance to say her piece and set the record straight on some stuff. Some will be happy, some won't. That's just the way it is. They all realize not everyone will love them.

I think this was done at the time to mark their one year since they started dating. I'm sure it was planned by her PR team and Meghan got permission from Harry.

Ok, let's assume you're right. Why would Meghan have a PR team? Because she's an actress, of course. It is her job to be out there. She has been very discrete the past year, and when she gives ONE interview she's crying for attention? Poor members of her PR team. They must have been underemployed the last year...

For the most part, yes she did indeed. And even though I am an uncouth American I frankly prefer the discreet, dignified Royal girlfriend vs the... umm...other kind.:cool:

BUT...Harry has always been an iconoclast as the article says. I cannot see a guy like that with someone willing to play by the rules keep her head down and mouth shut until the day the ring is on her finger. He is different than William in many ways, the type of woman that made/makes William happy obviously won't do it for Harry.

Every one of the recent Royal princes of Harry's generation has been permitted to marry the woman of their choice. Harry should be afforded the same privilege.

She says they are happy and I believe her. And if they are happy, I am ecstatic.

I'm not suggesting you are saying otherwise, but just wanted to cosign what you said, and add onto it. I don't think the only way to be dignified is to remain silent. I don't see anything Meghan did as undignified here. She didn't go into the gutter and address some of the things that's been hurled her way unfairly. Just addressed her as person. Kate had her way of handling, and Meghan has her way of handling a different situation in a different era with different ways of communication. Adaptation is necessary as even the Queen herself has learned over the course of her reign. Both are fine by me, not one or the other.

Of course silent is not the only way to be dignified, you are 100% correct

I am simply not accustomed to a serious Royal girlfriend on the cover of a glossy speaking openly about her relationship before the engagement is announced.

New era, new girlfriend, it's just not the style I prefer.

For the record I think Harry's lady is perfectly stunning and sounds warm, and down to earth. I can see why he chose her.

BTW, does anyone still think she hasn't been working with Palace staff since late last year? I honestly don't think this is all of sudden for them. It might not be the that sought the opportunity, but they would take things into consideration as it comes up.

I know there were some people that was worried about her lack of understanding of protocol and culture, and etc. It's not that the rest of us didn't think that's something she'd have to overcome, but we are just confident the BRF are aware of it as well and is now offering more help than Diana and Fergie received.

With Harry being born into the royal fishbowl with all the contingent departments that surround that fishbowl, I think with Harry being so cautious about this relationship, his determination to keep it as under the radar as much as possible, he's always had the support of the royal departments at his disposal. Very cautiously, both Harry and Meghan have probably worked with the PR office, the royal protection service and whatever else they needed to keep this relationship going as smoothly as possible.

Chances are too that what we, the public, see and know about the workings behind the scenes of this relationship is really a very small percentage of what is really happening. This relationship has been ongoing almost a year now and it would be foolish to think that Meghan would still be quite in the dark about how the BRF operates.

As stated before, most likely concrete wedding plans are already in the works and being set up. It won't happen overnight or come as a complete surprise to anyone associated with the palace when these two people publicly announce their engagement.

The public is the last to know and know the least about how things really are when it comes to members of the British royal family's private lives. ;)

Of course silent is not the only way to be dignified, you are 100% correct

I am simply not accustomed to a serious Royal girlfriend on the cover of a glossy speaking openly about her relationship before the engagement is announced.

New era, new girlfriend, it's just not the style I prefer.

For the record I think Harry's lady is perfectly stunning and sounds warm, and down to earth. I can see why he chose her.

Oh, absolutely. And really, when was the last time we had a royal girlfriend that's a working actress in her own right that has done photoshoots and interviews before? Last famous girlfriend we had was Koo Stark, but times were different and certainly, she was involved in more than shows that are appropriate for TV during prime time.

IF this is Harry's work, he is ever more clearly 'his Mothers Son' and we all know how her 'talent' with the media went...

William is WAY more savvy...

I don't think KP always makes the right choices. That said, this seems right in line with what seems to be their general, overall strategy of trying to exert some control over the narrative of Harry and William's lives by way of occasionally granting tightly-controlled interviews. I don't think that method works as well as they want it to, but it's certainly the approach to which they've seemed committed for the past few years.

Also, I would hardly call those photos "come-hither," but I do think Megan probably would have been wise in some of those shots to pull back a touch. There is a fine line between an "I'm an actress and I'm working it" photo shoot and the more fashion-y of the photo spreads that royals have done (Diana's with Mario Testino, Kate's for British Vogue) which work best when the posing looks relaxed and natural. For me, she struck that tone well in a few of the photos but landed on the wrong side of the line in the ones where she's wearing ball gown and the white, unbuttoned shirt. In either of those, just leaning over a little less (or buttoning a couple of buttons on that shirt) would have made a world of difference in tone. That said, I thought the photo where she's in the long jacked and the close-up in the black top toed the line really well without being boring or stilted.

Oh, absolutely. And really, when was the last time we had a royal girlfriend that's a working actress in her own right that has done photoshoots and interviews before? Last famous girlfriend we had was Koo Stark, but times were different and certainly, she was involved in more than shows that are appropriate for TV during prime time.

Well... there was Cressida Bonas that did aspire to being a professional in the entertainment business. Meghan just happened to accomplish quite a bit on her own, in her own way before she even set eyes on Harry. :D

Have you read the Enews articles? Who do you think has been writing those?

This is significant. A major step that will lead to the engagement!!

Well... there was Cressida Bonas that did aspire to being a professional in the entertainment business. Meghan just happened to accomplish quite a bit on her own, in her own way before she even set eyes on Harry. :D

Oh, that's right! I forgot about Cressida, but did she actually do anything worth noting before they started dating? I think part of her issue was that she wanted her career to take off rather than settle down right?

Have you read the Enews articles? Who do you think has been writing those?

Which ones are you talking about? They are reporting what everyone else is reporting today, which is about the Vanity Fair article. As for the old articles, I'm assuming Enews and whoever is credited with wrote it. Unless you are trying to say something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom