The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Anne's first marriage took place in November, so I think that would work for Harry as well.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

It would be lovely, if it happened in fact.
I also have a feeling that Harry asked Meghan this most important question in the romantic settings of African sunset (like William did with Kate).

Old 09-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Majesty

I still stand by my thought all the more reason he wouldn't propose there.

I think Harry will find the perfect timing and location special to him and Meghan. Perhaps a return trip to see the northern lights this winter, and a May wedding. It was their first trip as a couple and the northern lights were special for them. Who knows.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Seeing that we knew that Harry spent August 31st at KP with Meghan and they went away for the weekend, its even possible that he proposed to her while walking the corgis at Balmoral with HM throwing an engagement BBQ.

I can picture HM and Meghan happily chatting while washing the dishes clean after everyone has eaten.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

Princess Anne's first marriage took place in November, so I think that would work for Harry as well.
The Queen's 70th (I think that's the one) wedding anniversary is in November...I think they are having a big party....so not sure they'd do anything then.

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I still stand by my thought all the more reason he wouldn't propose there.

I think Harry will find the perfect timing and location special to him and Meghan. Perhaps a return trip to see the northern lights this winter, and a May wedding. It was their first trip as a couple and the northern lights were special for them. Who knows.
Me too..I don't think there was an African proposal.

LaRae
Old 09-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Gentry

Quote:

Elizabeth was a November bride as well!

I think that given Meghan’s age with regards to fertility, and the advanced age of Harry’s beloved grandparents, this is going to come together quickly in the neR future.

P.S. No offense to Meghan re: age. I had baby #3 it was all routine. When I returned to my OB about 10 months later, pregnant with #4, I was suddenly classified “advanced maternal age.” I used to joke with him (OB) about how seemingly overnight I got really old!!
Old 09-04-2017, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Seeing that we knew that Harry spent August 31st at KP with Meghan and they went away for the weekend, its even possible that he proposed to her while walking the corgis at Balmoral with HM throwing an engagement BBQ.

I can picture HM and Meghan happily chatting while washing the dishes clean after everyone has eaten.

Well considering the Queen, Philip, Charles were all at the Highland Games on Saturday and church on Sunday doesn't seem likely.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:03 PM
Nobility

Reading this thread, it seems like there really is a big event every month, which would prevent an engagement announcement or wedding, so I'm thinking, that these events won't stop Harry and Meghan, if/when the announcement happens.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I look for late October, December or Jan ....if that soon.

LaRae
Old 09-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Honestly if there was any chance the queen wouldn't give her approval I dont think it would have gone even this far. Honestly this far from the throne, I think the queen's main concern is her grandkids are happy.

In this day and age, even Charlotte has minimal chance of seeing the throne. Spares in modern age of medicine and lack of assassinations and royals going to war, are very uncommonly actually needed. Since marrying a divorcee is allowed, no worry George would pull a King Edward.

I think may wedding at earliest. Possibly June if they go with a wedding say at Windsor. May choose a smaller wedding like Edward.
Albert II of Belgium was a spare and both he and his eldest son ended up being kings because King Baudouin didn't have children of his own. That might happen also in Luxembourg if Guillaume and Stéphanie don't have children and the succession ends up passing to Felix and his children. So, although it is highly unlikely that a spare would become monarch nowadays, it is not completely unheard of, even in recent times.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen6010 View Post
Regardless of Royal status, The Hague convention would prevent her taking any children back to the US.
I've actually handled Hague Treaty cases in court several times, and the Treaty doesn't 'prevent' a change of domicile. The Treaty simply provides that British law would govern custody/domicile of any children of the couple, assuming they were living in Britain at the time of separation.
The treaty usually comes into play when one parent has taken the children to a different Country without the left behind parent's permission. In those cases the Court of the taking parent's country orders that the children be returned to their original country of habitual residence so that courts in that country can decide with whom and where the child/children will live going forward. This applies in straightforward cases where both countries are signatories to the treaty and the left behind parent's Hague petition makes it to court within 1 year of the taking.
Sorry for the thread drift, but wanted to clarify what the Hague treaty on International Child Abduction actually can/cannot do.
I do not think Harry and Meghan, should they marry, will ever need the lawyers digging into an international treaty regarding children they haven't yet had
Old 09-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Albert II of Belgium was a spare and both he and his eldest son ended up being kings because King Baudouin didn't have children of his own. That might happen also in Luxembourg if Guillaume and Stéphanie don't have children and the succession ends up passing to Felix and his children. So, although it is highly unlikely that a spare would become monarch nowadays, it is not completely unheard of, even in recent times.
Note I said uncommon. Minimal. Not never or zero. Even before the birth of new baby Cambridge, Harrys necessity in line was vastly minimal at best. The chance for Charlotte is slim but possibly there. But beyond that no.

Last time the heir to the throne didn't succeed the throne was in the case of George V following the death of his older brother in 1892. Though there was doubt Edward viii could have kids, so even if he didn't abdicate, his niece may have followed.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
Just my opinion...

I think Harry and Meghan are engaged. I think an announcement will be made by Harry’s birthday in September. I think they will wed somewhere between November and February.

Again, just my opinion.

ITA. I think Harry proposed to Meghan she was in London with her mother.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Note I said uncommon. Minimal. Not never or zero. Even before the birth of new baby Cambridge, Harrys necessity in line was vastly minimal at best. The chance for Charlotte is slim but possibly there. But beyond that no.

Last time the heir to the throne didn't succeed the throne was in the case of George V following the death of his older brother in 1892. Though there was doubt Edward viii could have kids, so even if he didn't abdicate, his niece may have followed.
I think there were rumors he had at least 1 illegitimate child.

LaRae
Old 09-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
How were BF/GF gradually introduced to the public before getting engaged? Gradually because they mostly dated for many years?

Living together before marriage is not a necessity--commitment to your spouse and life together is the necessity.

If Harry and Meghan have spent their times together wisely, (and since they are not hitting the nightclub scene, I'd say they may be) they are finding out about each other and their commitment to each other, and the possibility of building a life together.

And BTW--there are cell phones and skype nowadays for the times apart.
I agree. I think the fact that the times they are together seem to be actually time spent together instead of out in public, they are probably getting to know each other better than people who have dated for years but have spent a lot of their time together on the nightclub circuit and out in public. Amen, about the not living together

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslily View Post
My main concern is Meghan getting fed up of not being able to voice her strong minded opinions and finding it difficult with all the restricting protocol both in public and in private during family gatherings. This isn't just about dealing with the media.
I do agree that not being able to express her opinions publicly are something she has to consider. Hopefully, by spending time together she will learn if she loves him enough to make those sacrifices, because it will be her making more sacrifices than him. I also agree that there is really no huge rush on the children issue either. My husband has a cousin who did not get married until she was 40 and had a child at 42 and then one at 44. I don't agree, however, that she is not "suitable" for the Royal Family given the baggage the BRF have accumulated, and not just since the 80's. But I do respect your right to your opinion and your freedom to express it. All of our different opinions is what makes for good discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Of course another two children to the Cambridge's and HM won't have to give consent anyway - so Kate, Harry needs you to have twins asap
I had that same thought about the consent issue but, somehow,I think he would still seek the Queen's approval out of love and respect for her, and I believe that she would give it.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:14 PM
Heir Apparent

It's not like she's (previously) been out every day off with a bullhorn spouting her viewpoints. Everyone self censors due to jobs, family etc.

LaRae
Old 09-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope that, if they do get married, it's a royal wedding at the Abbey or St. Paul's, and not something low-key at Windsor.

I want the works! (Not that the RF cares what I want).
Old 09-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
It's not like she's (previously) been out every day off with a bullhorn spouting her viewpoints. Everyone self censors due to jobs, family etc.

LaRae
Didn't she tweet one tweet about the last US election, but other than that, she hasn't been loud about politics.
It seemed to be no issue for her to shut down The Tig, walk away from her Reitmans deal. I don't really think not voicing her opinion about politics in public is a big issue for her.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

The "first six in line" cutoff is a rule that was put forward by the politicians when the Succession to the Crown Act was passed. Whether consent is legally required or not, I can't imagine Harry getting married without the Queen's and , incidentally, the PoW's consent, so IMHO it doesn't really matter in practice if Harry is 6th or 7th in line.

Having said that, I still think it is unlikely the Cambridges will have more than 3 children and Harry will move up again in the order of succession when Charles is king, so he is probably going to stay within the first six in line anyway.

Quote:
I hope that, if they do get married, it's a royal wedding at the Abbey or St. Paul's, and not something low-key at Windsor.

I want the works! (Not that the RF cares what I want.
As I said before, I'm pretty sure the wedding will be televised, but it will be more like Edward's wedding than William's , which is OK and makes more sense.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Didn't she tweet one tweet about the last US election, but other than that, she hasn't been loud about politics.
It seemed to be no issue for her to shut down The Tig, walk away from her Reitmans deal. I don't really think not voicing her opinion about politics in public is a big issue for her.
Yeah...she really hasn't, IMO, been what I consider politically active when you compare her to other known figures.

IIRC she has done interviews in the past about her desire for a family and willingness to give up acting or a realization they might not go together. To me it seems that yes if she's asked about political issues she has been willing to talk about them...but past that she's not the type to push herself forward about it.

LaRae

Quote:

I want the works! (Not that the RF cares what I want).

I have said before here it wouldn't surprise me if they keep it lower key due to her past marriage and the fact they want to be more private about their lives...however by the same token, because of who he is I can also see them having a wedding in London but not on the scale of Williams.

Myself I think it would be funny if they decided to do something like Pippa did ...no media allowed in, only pics gotten as they enter/leave the Church etc. Although I don't think this is likely ...the security would be a nightmare for a small Church/rural setting.

LaRae