The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-21-2017, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

The photo call was at the I.G. Intentions were pretty clear....what's the old saying, actions speak louder than words!

LaRae

Old 10-21-2017, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
The photo call was at the I.G. Intentions were pretty clear....what's the old saying, actions speak louder than words! LaRae
That was clear acting for the cameras. They knew they were 'on'. It's one of the reasons I have become less 'fannish' regarding them (not that I was really that before). For me it's all purely generic. Romance and a royal wedding. Fun. But the cutsey with the press? No. Surprised she's up for it but she may have been persuaded by Harry. I'm sure she has been. She's going along. That alone says something.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think they were acting. I think they were just allowing us to see them. For the first time really. Dropping the shields down a little.

LaRae
Old 10-21-2017, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

One of my concerns is once the media is involved that’s it. There is no going back.

I just hope Meghan and Harry are on the same page because as much as some people think the royals are celebrities, it’s just not the case.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:17 PM
Nobility

I think IG served several purposes. It was the start of the rollout leading to the possible engagement, it was also part narrative building and changing the story from speculative rumors and gossip. It also was a give something to the press photocall that all royals do. It was planned because the relationship is very serious and they are priming the press to switch gears leading to a possible wedding. It also served to introduce Meghan to the IG games which is something that is very important to PH. If MM is to join the firm she will also attend the games in a more official capacity. In addition to it being a photo op, after the tennis match we saw Meghan greeting the participants, talking to children etc. so it was also a test run for her possible future as a member of the firm.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:18 PM
Courtier

Lady Nimue
Pranter

Maybe it was a little bit of both, sure they knew that the cameras were out there glued to them and they could of said......*Shucks, let's give them something to talk about finally* and they did...with all good intentions that they are a couple in love and the heck with what any one else says or thinks.

Isn't love grand when 2 people find each other and they sure showed us that love is just that!
Old 10-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't think they were acting. I think they were just allowing us to see them. For the first time really. Dropping the shields down a little. LaRae
I don't mean acting as in false or fake. I think they were absolutely genuine in what they were showing, particularly in the 'dark' grainy pictures. However, I see a bit of uncertainty in the more open, daylight pictures. They know they are putting on a 'show' but their cues are a bit stilted in delivery. Not natural. Definitely 'on' for the camera. JMO, of course. Because of that (what I see, not saying what others see) I am a bit disappointed. But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
One of my concerns is once the media is involved that’s it. There is no going back. I just hope Meghan and Harry are on the same page because as much as some people think the royals are celebrities, it’s just not the case.
That's what I am referring to when I mention pressure. Does Meghan really understand what she is setting up here? Harry is clearly eager, but what if she decides she wants out? Just wondering. This is not a normal situation. Of course, she may have already committed, said yes, and it's all a done deal. No going back for her or them. Likely so, in fact. Her mother is okay with it. Says it all.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Gentry

I found the Guardian article to be cringeworthy! Generally when anyone is portrayed as some sort of savior for an entire race of people it makes me feel uneasy. Also the concept that you have to seek white validation in order to feel appreciated is just plain wrong.

I like Meghan but I'm not going to pretend that she's going to bring about some sort of seismic shift for blacks living in Britain. Meghan has had some challenges in her life, however she did grow up more privileged than most and she mixes mostly with an elite group of friends. I would caution against anyone trying to live vicariously through her or hoping she'd be some sort of savior.

Also the experience of black brits is different. Black brits still carry the scars of British colonialism & tend to view the royals less favorably. Meghan does not share this history & I seriously doubt that she'd have much of an impact in the way the royals are viewed.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

There is zero chance they would escape the media. Harry never has been able to due to his birth. Meghan is willingly entering into a relationship where she knows the media will be intrusive.

I don't see the I.G. as a misstep. She/he weren't out calling the paps to notify them. They were there and allowed the media (and the fans) to see them together. After the I.G. they zipped things back up ...no sightings.

What else are they do to? They want to retain as much control over things as they can, seems like they are making it clear you are only going to see what we allow you to see. Much like W&K are doing.

Hmmm Queen E I would say that due to slavery in the U.S. Meghan would (since it seems she has ancestors who were enslaved) be in the same situation as Blacks in the U.K.

LaRae
Old 10-21-2017, 10:00 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
When you stop and think about it, even HM, The Queen puts on her "game face" when she is out and about on engagements and among the people. Its all part and parcel of having a public role. This is no different with Harry and Meghan.

They knew they were in a public venue at the IG. The most certainly knew that the world was just itching to get photos of them together and they'd have to have been living under a rock (perhaps a very posh rock even) to not realize that with Meghan living in Canada and the IG being in Canada and the IG being something very dear to Harry's heart that the public interest in the two of them was high. Both of them were able to enjoy the games together in public and acted like a normal, ordinary couple in love in public but with the knowing that all eyes were on them. We saw *exactly* what they wanted us to see.

I think they did a splendid job myself.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Hmmm Queen E I would say that due to slavery in the U.S. Meghan would (since it seems she has ancestors who were enslaved) be in the same situation as Blacks in the U.K.

LaRae
It is not the same situation. Colonialism & slavery are two different things. British colonialism ended much more recently with most countries only geting their independence in the last 50-60 years. Also the British monarchy had a direct hand in colonialism & the Queen is still head of the commonwealth. The relationship between black brits & the British monarchy is very different.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
That's what I am referring to when I mention pressure. Does Meghan really understand what she is setting up here? Harry is clearly eager, but what if she decides she wants out? Just wondering. This is not a normal situation. Of course, she may have already committed, said yes, and it's all a done deal. No going back for her or them. Likely so, in fact. Her mother is okay with it. Says it all.
Why is there no going back? Harry's previous girlfriends joined him to official events, they shared a photographed kiss, etc. I won't say the situation is exactly the same but 'no going back' is quite extreme. If she would really want to (which seems unlikely) there would be a way. The first several months would be hard but attention would fade slowly - although she would always be remembered as Harry's girlfriend (with or without IG).

If we jump to a different royal family, the Swedish prince and princesses brought their partners to their father's birthday celebration; in the end only one of them ended up married to his princess (while one other was engaged). So, going back might not be easy, but is still possible. More problematic than the media would be her giving up quite a lot of her side activities.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen E View Post
It is not the same situation. Colonialism & slavery are two different things. British colonialism ended much more recently with most countries only geting their independence in the last 50-60 years. Also the British monarchy had a direct hand in colonialism & the Queen is still head of the commonwealth. The relationship between black brits & the British monarchy is very different.
This is the different perspective I was talking about! So thank you. As an African-American I know I come at this with a completely different viewpoint. Lord knows we're still working through our own racial issues here in the U.S. Like I said the few British people of color I know are pretty indifferent to the BRF. They don't necessarily hate them, but they don't feel like they have much to do with them.

And I agree I hope no one thinks Meghan or any one person is somehow going to right all racial wrongs and heal all wounds. Like how some people in the U.S. mistakenly thought electing Barack Obama cured racism. ( no seriously some people thought that). That being said I still thought the Guardian article gave a different voice then as been heard, at least by me, so I found it interesting.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
I totally agree. It’s so exciting and wonderful to see “love in bloom”. I want to believe there was a tea to meet Gran and very much later Meghan took the red eye home. I can’t wait!
So do I!!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2017, 11:38 PM
Majesty

I thought the Guardian article was pretty poor to be honest.

Meghan is an attractive intelligent woman who has done well in this world but that wouldn't matter at all if Harry was the type of royal described in that article.

It completely ignores Harry's role in all this, the type of person he is. Meghan hasn't got to this point on her own.

And Meghan will have enough to cope with without anyone trying to make her some sort of one-woman rescue mission for the BRF who don't need rescuing.

Articles like this are, to say the least, unhelpful.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-22-2017, 01:14 AM
Courtier

I thought what was in the Guardian was more of an op-ed piece. And what I understood from it was that the author was explaining how the [possible] inclusion of this mixed race woman into the British Royal Family caused her to have an interest that she'd had no reason to feel before. I did not get the impression she was opining that Meghan was "saving" anyone.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:27 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post

I thought what was in the Guardian was more of an op-ed piece. And what I understood from it was that the author was explaining how the [possible] inclusion of this mixed race woman into the British Royal Family caused her to have an interest that she'd had no reason to feel before. I did not get the impression she was opining that Meghan was "saving" anyone.

Anglophile, I agree.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:35 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

That's how I took it as well, which is why I mentioned hearing other views. This was just one view, and one from a segment British society I hadn't heard from, in a public forum on this issue. I found it interesting and I related ad an African-American. I just think discussions of racial issues make some uncomfortable.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Agreed That's what I took from the article as well.

I never got the sense of 'Meghan the savior' or even any real opinion on what 'kind of royal' the author thinks Harry is.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
One of my concerns is once the media is involved that’s it. There is no going back.

I just hope Meghan and Harry are on the same page because as much as some people think the royals are celebrities, it’s just not the case.
Media was involved in Cressida and Chelsea, and obviously they went back.