The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 06:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The only thing with poppies is that there is the connotation in Britain and the Commonwealth that they are associated with WW1, Remembrance Day
That connotation really only applies to Red poppies [and a bit] to white pacifist ones. In that respect Orange Poppies wouldn't be a problem.. BUT California poppies WILT badly when cut [I know because I grow them myself], and have a 'vase life' of less than an hour..
CERTAINLY not long enough for a long ceremony under blazing Television lights !

Old 10-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Nobility

I have a question. Who was the last foreigner to marry into the BRF? I mean someone marrying a royal in a similar or higher position within the family to Harry? How did they handle that situation?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
When Meghan picks her wedding dress it should be a shade that flatters her skin tone. She has a lot of options because there are so many shades of white. I am looking forward to her choices.
DITTO. I have no doubt that she will be one beautiful bride.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-18-2017, 07:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
I have a question. Who was the last foreigner to marry into the BRF? I mean someone marrying a royal in a similar or higher position within the family to Harry? How did they handle that situation?
I believe it was Queen Alexandra or someone in her generation? Queen Mary was born in the country.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I believe it was Queen Alexandra or someone in her generation? Queen Mary was born in the country.
I believe that would be Princess Marina of Greece who married Prince George aka The Duke of Kent in 1934. George was the third son of the then Duke and Duchess of York, later King George V and Queen Mary.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Who was the last foreigner to marry into the BRF?
Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark [HRH the Duke of Edinburgh] and before him Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark [ HRH the Duchess of Kent].
Old 10-18-2017, 07:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
That'd be the Queen when she married Philip of Greece. Before that The Duke of Kent married Marina of Greece and in the seventies both Richard of Gloucester and Michael of Kent married foreigners.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Marina, a Princess of Greece and Denmark, married the Duke of Kent (the fourth son of George V) in the mid 1930s. How did she handle it? With aplomb, although she wasn't used to court life. Her family had spent years in exile.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:07 PM
Heir Apparent

OMG how could I forget Phillip???
Old 10-18-2017, 07:09 PM
Aristocracy

This post is probably going to be all over the place........I think NC would be ideal place starting out, incorporating poppies a nice touch. No matter the church or gown color, they’ll receive God’s blessing and I wish them happy as they seem to be now. The unspoken word here is “virgin”. My beautiful engaged 33 year old gal lives with her beau. They have one bedroom. Watching their excitement and joy planning for their day...I can hardly contain my own joy. It never entered my mind to ask what color. No she’s not a princess but in today’s day and age so many things are different. In the end, I believe H and M know what they’re doing and taken the “Royal aspect” into consideration.
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I believe that would be Princess Marina of Greece who married Prince George aka The Duke of Kent in 1934. George was the third son of the then Duke and Duchess of York, later King George V and Queen Mary.
Ah, I had forgotten about Princess Marina.
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I believe that would be Princess Marina of Greece who married Prince George aka The Duke of Kent.
I was thinking of women for better correlation though I forgot about Prince Philip. So the last foreign women were royal? I guess with Meghan it's slightly uncharted territory. I'm just wondering how they'll handle the transition for her. I think she should have at least a couple months. Preferably longer I think she should live in the UK for a bit first to get better acquainted with her new home, country, and the people she'll be representing.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Both Philip and Marina were in quite similar positions though, and very different to Meghan. Both had royal blood, had spent years in exile but had strong family links with members of the extended BRF. (They were also first cousins.)

I suppose Princesx Michael is the nearest to Meghan's future position but she and her husband have never taken up royal duties, so it's quite dissimilar as well.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess of Gloucester is a Danish commoner and working royal although completely out of the spotlight.

Princess Michael of Kent is German I believe and doesn’t work for the Firm.

Meghan is she marries Harry will be in the spotlight as a working royal
Old 10-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Both Philip and Marina were in quite similar positions though, and very different to Meghan. Both had royal blood, had spent years in exile but had strong family links with members of the extended BRF. (They were also first cousins.)

I suppose Princesx Michael is the nearest to Meghan's future position but she and her husband have never taken up royal duties, so it's quite dissimilar as well.
Nearer example is the Duchess of Gloucester who was born in Denmark - she carries out royal duties

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Gentry

A new article says that Meghan & Harry met the Queen last week Thursday. The Suits cast are currently on a mini break. There have been similar stories in the past about Meghan meeting the Queen so read it with caution!

Harry, Meghan and a VERY discreet tea party with the Queen | Daily Mail Online
Old 10-18-2017, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Of course! Thank you cepe. I'd completely forgotten about the Duchess.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen E View Post
A new article says that Meghan & Harry met the Queen last week Thursday. The Suits cast are currently on a mini break. There have been similar stories in the past about Meghan meeting the Queen so read it with caution!

Harry, Meghan and a VERY discreet tea party with the Queen | Daily Mail Online
So discreet the DM is telling us about it
Old 10-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I was thinking of women for better correlation though I forgot about Prince Philip. So the last foreign women were royal? I guess with Meghan it's slightly uncharted territory. I'm just wondering how they'll handle the transition for her. I think she should have at least a couple months. Preferably longer I think she should live in the UK for a bit first to get better acquainted with her new home, country, and the people she'll be representing.
Yes. And I'm not certain about Princess Marina, but Prince Phillip moved to UK when he was very young, so there wasn't any cultural issues there. Although, today's world is different as people are more connected and communication is better. I honestly think the royal life might be more different and more complicated than the cultural difference UK has compared to US or Canada.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Aristocracy

I thought PRincess Michaeal was did have charity patronges as did Prince Michael.

Closed Thread