Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With today being the 7th Anniversary of the Cambridge Engagement Announcement, everyone should revisit the coverage to get a glimpse on how Harry’s engagement announcement will be conducted.

It’s going to be a very busy and exciting day.
Yikes! I just watched a clip and how both weren't permanently blinded is beyond me. Crazy, utterly mad. Hope Harry's isn't that bad.

If the dogs need to be registered and all, is that a public record? If so, someone should soon be able to confirm whether or not this news item is accurate.

According to the Sun Meghan has already begun the process of moving her dogs over to Britain.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4931655/meghan-markle-prince-harry-dogs-moving-to-london/

That was one of the things I wondered about, but was too lazy to google. Quite a lengthy process, to move the dogs to UK. Did my maths serve me right, when I made the estimation, that it would all take about 6 weeks to 2 months? So the dogs would be ready to go in December?

According to the Sun Meghan has already begun the process of moving her dogs over to Britain.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4931655/meghan-markle-prince-harry-dogs-moving-to-london/
Really, really, strapped for news on this front. The article merely waffles about how Meghan adores her dogs, lets them sleep on the bed, employs dog walkers and gets friends to facetime her with her dogs when she's away.

So, nothing new, just anonymous sources said she will be making arrangements. To be honest, I think we covered what was involved in more depth and less fancy earlier on in this thread.

If the dogs need to be registered and all, is that a public record? If so, someone should soon be able to confirm whether or not this news item is accurate.

OMG I love you guys! I love you all so much! :lol: Go get it, peeps! Get the scoop!!!! ?

Yikes! I just watched a clip and how both weren't permanently blinded is beyond me. Crazy, utterly mad. Hope Harry's isn't that bad.

Lol, yes, it’s going to be that crazy and mad. Of course his staff and palace officials will make sure everything runs smoothly.

There will be lots of one line sentences on the forums too. Mainly because our fellow folks are just going to be too excited to send out their congrats and news links. When the Cambridge’s news came down, I danced around the house. It was odd, but I just couldn’t contain my excitement over someone else’s engagement news from way across the pond.

Even for the Cambridge’s pre-wedding Reception and dinner, The Queen arrived and looked back at the media and remarked how “mad” everything was. The US mainstream media will loose their minds too.

I’m looking forward to the party. That’s what all this will be; one big royal party.

Hmm, I think you are right. If people as far away as we two can get all excited, the UK brigade is toast! (Just kidding). Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see just how big a deal the engagement turns out to be as I am sure that will factor into the type of wedding they have.

That was one of the things I wondered about, but was too lazy to google. Quite a lengthy process, to move the dogs to UK. Did my maths serve me right, when I made the estimation, that it would all take about 6 weeks to 2 months? So the dogs would be ready to go in December?

Its not lengthy at all. Not sure where the 6 weeks came from. There are 3 requirements for her dogs to come over.

-microchipped
-tapeworm treatment
-rabies shot

The rabies shot would be the longest. The mirror says 30 days, but they didn't take into account her dogs are coming from Canada/USA. They are 'listed countries'. Under UK border rules, dogs from a listed country don't require a blood test after the rabies shot. But they do have to wait 21 days (so 9 days shorter then the mirror suggested).

The tapeworm can be done days before they leave.

Her dogs will already be microchipped. We know this because her dogs are from the US. Canada has the same requirements as the UK, for dogs coming across the border, they have to be microchipped and rabies shots. Bogart was adopted in LA, and Guy was brought up from Kentucky.They would have been microchipped before that to come over.

They would have had their rabies shots then too. While the shots are said to be good for three years, many borders require to be done within a year.

Meghan will already be well versed in this, having crossed the border once with her dogs. Just have to prepare them for a longer flight this time.

Goodness between special visas and rabies free dogs etc etc I wonder if they will ever get to actually live together.

You'd think that someone from the US would of dated someone from the U.K. before and later the American party move to the UK...this couple are breaking all kinds of barriers, setting new precedents!!

LaRae

You'd think that someone from the US would of dated someone from the U.K. before and later the American party move to the UK...this couple are breaking all kinds of barriers, setting new precedents!!

LaRae

I guess in the royal family they are breaking precdents. But certainly this type of thing happens every day with couples. Harry isn't facing anything many long distance couples haven't. If he was moving to the US, they'd have 90 days and could be on a tv show :lol:

Had a few friends who married across borders. Paper work was a pain but they say it was worth it.

Meh, the dogs importation is the actually the easy part coming to the uk from the us. I just relocated from the us to my home country with my cats, it was a freakin pain in the ass! becaue they wanted the damn rabies titter test.

As for an engagement, I personally think it will be best for them to find an alternative way of having her live in the UK for a year which isn’t fiance visa, in order to allow her have a proper taste of living in the UK, and to allow them to have a proper short distance relationship. If this were any other couple and Harry was a minor royal I would argue it wasn’t needed, but! He is a senior, the son, brother, uncle of the future kings, this has some affect and importance.
Thus it was imperative for them to actually take their time. I don’t think a breakup after an engagement was announced or shortly after a wedding will be seen kindly by British public simply because they partially pay for the wedding (though Harry’s wedding will not be a state affair it will be grand enough to warrant road closing and using police among many other things - all which get funded by tax money). at the end of the day the royal family is still the state representatives (you know what I mean) and while they deserve privacy, while they choose to maintain their current position as the state ceremonial head figures and devote their time to representing the UK and commonwealth, they must be careful with any person they marry and bring into the fold as that person will become a representative too- especially with the senior members.
Least they end up with the publicity disasters that were Sarah and Diana (and fyi i by no mean dislike either one, and truly believe both Diana and Charles were the victims of their love affair- but that’s for another thread. And feel bad for Sarah).

So yea anyway, Meghan living in the uk, by her own means, for at least a year before an engagement is announced will be the smart way to go.
Sometimes easy really does it.

Last edited:
I think it's important to note that there's a lot we don't actually know, but that people assume they do know.

For instance, it was stated earlier in the thread that Meghan will have to leave Canada after Suits finishes filming because she's on a visa tied to the show.

Unless someone has seen her passport, we don't actually know that; the type of visa that someone in her position is required to use to work in Canada is actually frequently converted to a permanent residency.

Did she do that, given that she was in a long term relationship with a Canadian for two years? It certainly can't be ruled out (and for some reasons seems more likely than not), and thus we really don't know what's going to happen if the reports that she's quit Suits are true. It can't be assumed that she needs to immediately move back to the US or make the move to the UK. If she's a PR, she can stay as long as she wants.

What would Meghan be doing in UK during this one year living by her own means? Shed be unable to work, move her stuff over, shed be required to leave after six months, and stay away for a while. She'd be completely in a bind. The visa issues make living together for a year quite difficult, because she cant just simply move to UK for a year. There's also the security issue. Her employers saw it necessary to provide her security, I'd think the same reasons would remain if she moved to the UK as a private citizen. I don't see how living together for a year in any way would be a simple solution for her.

What would Meghan be doing in UK during this one year living by her own means? Shed be unable to work, move her stuff over, shed be required to leave after six months, and stay away for a while. She'd be completely in a bind. The visa issues make living together for a year quite difficult, because she cant just simply move to UK for a year. There's also the security issue. Her employers saw it necessary to provide her security, I'd think the same reasons would remain if she moved to the UK as a private citizen. I don't see how living together for a year in any way would be a simple solution for her.

that’s why a student visa (doing a master degree at a British university) or the exceptional talent visa, are really her two only viable options outside of a fiancée visa (that I can think of)

Master's degree takes longer to get, than a year, though, and as far as I know, shed be required to quit her previous career once she got engaged.

The way I see, this all would take huge effort and demands from Meghan, imho Harry is very aware of that, his 'baggage' way outweighs hers, and for him to demand, that she give up her career and life, move to UK, while not really being able to do anything, and just shack up with him, might be too much to ask. But these are just my thoughts, I'm in no way in the know what Harry and Meghan are planning to do.

that’s why a student visa (doing a master degree at a British university) or the exceptional talent visa, are really her two only viable options outside of a fiancée visa (that I can think of)

Graduate school? Even if she had the grades, which we don't know she does, its already November. Quite late to be applying for grad school unless next fall. And then for what? To take only one year and then drop out when she gets engaged? She cant complete her masters in one year.

The exceptional talent visa isn't a sure thing either. She has to apply for an endorsement. There are two intakes of endorsements. One started in October. Only 125 endorsements are approved for the arts counsel (250 a year but 125 were issued in the first half of the year). Even if she got one of those, there is no assurance she would also get a visa, its only one step. We also have no idea if she could actually find work in the UK acting.

The reality is that she could live in the UK for ten years and she would never really know what it is like to live with Harry. Yes, in the house. But not in his actual life. She could never be a part of his actual outside the house life. She will never know if she can handle the press, the events, and duties, until she can attend them with him. And that means engaged and married.

^
I want to add to that, the BRF couldn't also find out if she's a good fit for the firm, because she wouldn't be a part of the firm. She'd find out to a degree, that she's compatible with Harry, but getting married to him is so much more, than just living together.

Master's degree takes longer to get, than a year, though, and as far as I know, shed be required to quit her previous career once she got engaged.

The way I see, this all would take huge effort and demands from Meghan, imho Harry is very aware of that, his 'baggage' way outweighs hers, and for him to demand, that she give up her career and life, move to UK, while not really being able to do anything, and just shack up with him, might be too much to ask. But these are just my thoughts, I'm in no way in the know what Harry and Meghan are planning to do.

Actually there are one year grad programs in the uk, it’s a non research based masters (I think you’re confusing with a PhD about the length- research based is 3 years). But she can always do a research based one- and why would she have to drop from school once they’re engaged?! Nothing says she can’t continue her studies and graduate.

Again which is why if she does chose to move to do the short distance option(because I’m sorry, even I wouldn’t say yes to Harry after nothing but two years of long distance- no matter how much you see or talk to each other) deciding to study or try to get the exceptional talent visa (which she will, again this is my speciality she ticks “yes” on all the criteria’s needed) is the best option for her. Otherwise she’s sitting idle for 6 months on a tourist visa- and that does no good to any couple.

I know many are dying for an engagement, but I actually think it will be irresponsible of them to run towards an engagement without having even lived in the same country first.
Since Harry can’t really leave the Uk her moving there to do short distance is really the only option if they prefer not to commit just yet.
I mean maybe if he was a minor royal he would have been able to temporarily live abroad, though I suppose an official position can always be given to him in Canada or the us- similar to how was done with the duke of Windsor way back during WWII or the duke of York.

Also I agree it will be best to allow her to live in the UK for some time and have the public become familiar with her, and let her become more familiar with day to day life in another foreign country.
I’ve lived abroad even if you are familiar with the culture ans have done the relocation thing before, it takes awhile to really assimilate.
As for the media- I reckon she’ll be treated the same way she has so far if ahe’s Lucky or ahe’ll get the same treatment Kate did. I’m sure she’s aware of it.

The more I think about it, the more I've come to believe that Meghan taking steps to permanently move to the UK from Canada to be with Harry is just as much of a statement of commitment as saying those two words, "I do".

Beginning a life together will be trial and error and sometimes have days where they love each other but don't like each other too much right at the moment and times where things go bump in the night. This happens whether a couple is living together, engaged or married. A certificate of marriage is not a guaranteed to work or your single life back kind of thing. The way I look at it, a marriage is built from the ground up starting with the first realization that a couple want to form a partnership for life. Harry and Meghan could have realized this a long time ago and everything since has been geared towards making it so. They already have the plans on how they want their lives to be together. They already know that their biggest wish is to walk through life together as a team. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that they've been working on their marriage for a while now. The engagement and the subsequent wedding will be the glue that cements it all together and celebrates their union.

The wedding isn't the starting point of a marriage. Its the formal celebration of a bond that these two people have already formed. These two people have shown their commitment to each other in various ways already and have continued to move forward together to get to where they are right now.

I simply don't see, how living together, and Meghan going through all different hoops to get a visa, just to be able to stay in the UK, would be such a great option. How would the public get to know her, when shed be hardly seen at any public events as a girlfriend. We have no clue if she wants to study more, to me nothing indicates, that she does, and these study programs don't operate on her schedule. Added the security issue, which also is huge.

I'm betting, that she'll come over with a fiancé visa, and they'll get married May/June.

@CTchick, what a good catch, that pretty much confirms, that she's finished with Suits. The replies to that tweet all suggest the same.

Last edited:
Actually there are one year grad programs in the uk, it’s a non research based masters (I think you’re confusing with a PhD about the length- research based is 3 years). But she can always do a research based one- and why would she have to drop from school once they’re engaged?! Nothing says she can’t continue her studies and graduate.

Again which is why if she does chose to move to do the short distance option(because I’m sorry, even I wouldn’t say yes to Harry after nothing but two years of long distance- no matter how much you see or talk to each other) deciding to study or try to get the exceptional talent visa (which she will, again this is my speciality she ticks “yes” on all the criteria’s needed) is the best option for her. Otherwise she’s sitting idle for 6 months on a tourist visa- and that does no good to any couple.

I know many are dying for an engagement, but I actually think it will be irresponsible of them to run towards an engagement without having even lived in the same country first.
Since Harry can’t really leave the Uk her moving there to do short distance is really the only option if they prefer not to commit just yet.
I mean maybe if he was a minor royal he would have been able to temporarily live abroad, though I suppose an official position can always be given to him in Canada or the us- similar to how was done with the duke of Windsor way back during WWII or the duke of York.

Also I agree it will be best to allow her to live in the UK for some time and have the public become familiar with her, and let her become more familiar with day to day life in another foreign country.
I’ve lived abroad even if you are familiar with the culture ans have done the relocation thing before, it takes awhile to really assimilate.
As for the media- I reckon she’ll be treated the same way she has so far if ahe’s Lucky or ahe’ll get the same treatment Kate did. I’m sure she’s aware of it.

Again with degree

1. Does she have the marks?
2. Its November, there is no way she is getting in before next fall
3. A masters can be done in 1 year but it is an intense full 12 months (not like US where you have 4 months off in summer). That is a huge time commitment, and some masters do require 2 years.

And no, when they are engaged, she would be expected to drop working or school. The focus would be on the wedding and plans. The media attention would be intense and school would be nearly impossible.

The talent visa is only good if she can actually find some acting work there. Otherwise she would be idle like a tourist. And again you assume she will get one of the empty endorsements left.

Six months is certainly a great deal of time to settle into a new country and culture. Especially a culture so similar to her own. And one she is quite familiar with as she has been there several times before. I say this coming from experience.

She wont get familiar with the day to day. As the day to day of a commoner is not going to be her day to day when she marries. She isn't a simple wife to be, she is a future princess by marriage to be. Not something you can be prepared that much for. Kate dated William for almost a decade, and was raised in the UK, and it took her quite some time to settle into royal life.

I know I’m in the minority but I would really like to see them living together or in the same country for at least 12 months. I would say this about anyone
while she still won’t know what royal life will be like she will know Harry better. It’s a huge thing to do I hope they can be extra sure of their feelings

I've gathered from here, that it would be really difficult for her just pack up and move to UK for a year. She wouldn't have the required visas, she wouldn't be allowed to work or do charity work, and would be an open prey for the paparazzi.

I personally think, that Harry and Meghan are mature, responsible, smart adults, and they haven't entered this relationship on a whim. They, imho, have endured quite a lot together, have each others backs, and want to be together. I don't think people need to worry, honestly.

For Meghan to come to the UK I see the fiancee visa. During the time the engagement is announced. Harry and Meghan give their first interview and Meghan use the opportunity to address her foreign status and ask the public to give her a chance, that she will work to represent the UK and it's interests. Then she shows it - Meghan would have to learn protocol but actively taking the time to learn about British traditions and customs for she would have to take on those specific industries as a patroness. With members of the BRF acting as her guide it would show Meghan being accepted in the House of Windsor and that she understands her future responsibilities.

LaRae

Funny thing is that some Harry's closest friends are married to Americans.....so they have close friends who have made the transition. Not only that the concerners are concerned how MM will fit in....I'm sure the American wives can help her out.

For Meghan to come to the UK I see the fiancee visa. During the time the engagement is announced. Harry and Meghan give their first interview and Meghan use the opportunity to address her foreign status and ask the public to give her a chance, that she will work to represent the UK and it's interests. Then she shows it - Meghan would have to learn protocol but actively taking the time to learn about British traditions and customs for she would have to take on those specific industries as a patroness. With members of the BRF acting as her guide it would show Meghan being accepted in the House of Windsor and that she understands her future responsibilities.

I do agree that Meghan needs to be seen and she needs to show that she is eager to listen and learn, and also she should meet as many people as possible without being overwhelmed. When and if the engagement is announced I don't think they should hide. The more she is seen happy, listening, engaged and concern should at least help set the narrative that cannot be filled with useless clickbait articles that we are seeing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom