The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 PM
Aristocracy

NO ERDEM. He makes some of the ugliest clothing I have ever seen.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Nobility

I think St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle is a good location for Harry and Meghan's wedding. It gives the ambiance of a royal wedding but allows less formality. I can see some American wedding customs playing into the ceremony and reception, like a groom's cake for Harry.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:11 PM
Heir Apparent

It's really hard to know who she might use ...there are so many designers for her to pick from. Most any of them will be designing something with her input so it's won't necessarily be like some of their other dresses.

LaRae
Old 10-17-2017, 10:15 PM
Aristocracy

Pranter, what designers are you thinking? The only Brit designers I know are McQueen, Temperly, Burberry, Jonathan Saunders, Preen.

Westminster Abbey or bust.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:20 PM
Majesty

Time line for me: (well what seems practical)

-not engaged yet but are under understanding will soon be
-she moves in end of November under fiancé visa (6 months to wed)
-they spend the pre-season together, she goes home to see family for Christmas while he is at Sandringham
-meet up for a vacation between Christmas and New years, one year anniversary of first trip they took. Possibly proposal then.
-Scotland with his family for New Years to tell family. Announce early January

Wedding end of May. May 26 seems likely date:
-Saturday so no concerns for not being bank holiday
-weeks after Kate is due so no worry about baby or her not attending
-before all the big events in June

Also allows for a good honeymoon before June. They could go for a 10-12 day honeymoon and be back for Trooping. She could make her first official debut, after wedding, at Trooping of the color. She would be able to attend Trooping, Order of the Garter, and Ascot as his wife in June.

In October they make their first big trip abroad married, to Invictus in Australia.

I am leaning towards St. George's. 800 people is more then enough room for such a wedding. Likely have seats left open. Unlike the Cambridges there wont be hundreds of politicians and other figures that aren't personal guests. There may be some required guests but certainly not that many.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:26 PM
Aristocracy

Marchesa? No. It is owned by Harvey Weinstein's wife. There is no way that would happen. I hope you are being facetious. Many in the fashion industry are giving Marchesa the cold shoulder.

Otherwise, it is a good timeline.

I want Westminster Abbey because I want pomp and circumstance. And also it will be the last major royal wedding for many years.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
Pranter, what designers are you thinking? The only Brit designers I know are McQueen, Temperly, Burberry, Jonathan Saunders, Preen.

Westminster Abbey or bust.

Assuming she uses a Brit designer. I think generally the BRF brides do but she's rather unique since she's American with ties to Canada. Anything is possible.

Even if she goes with a Brit she will have a hand in the design so I wouldn't discount a designer that generally a person doesn't care for, they could come up with a very nice dress.

LaRae
Old 10-17-2017, 11:09 PM
Aristocracy

Good points. But still, I think an American designer is possible.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes it's possible..just depends on how she wants to approach things. Will she follow the BRF tradition and use an English designer in honor of the country she's becoming a citizen of and the family she's marrying into?

Will be interesting to see which one.

LaRae
Old 10-17-2017, 11:31 PM
Aristocracy

It’s possible she may have two designers-one for bridal gown and another for reception gown. That was it’s a nod to both
Old 10-17-2017, 11:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that is very possible too.

LaRae
Old 10-17-2017, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it's clear we are seeing the preamble preparations for Meghan moving to England as everyone is saying. (Must be such an exciting time for her!) Key will be where they choose to live. They already have the Cottage at KP, but it's the country house that interests me. I think Meghan will want 'their own place' in the country, away from formal royal stuff. I see lots of reasons why it would/might be the Cotswolds, mainly having to do with Meghan. I think Meghan will always need a generous cosmopolitan-type atmosphere wherever they live. Where that first country bolt hole occurs will tell us a lot about the relationship and what's happening. I am thinking it would be a rental/lease rather than a purchase initially. (If it is a purchase, all bets are off!)

I also think that key to marriage (in these times) is cohabiting prior to the vows. I am agreeing with a lot of what Mermaid1962 says below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I wonder whether Meghan and Harry have even been together enough to have had their first major argument? If so, how have they handled it?
Yes! It's key things like this that living together causes to get shaken out.

Quote:
I'm sure that Meghan is intelligent and kind and all those things, but I'm concerned about whether she's the right one for Harry, the future HRH Duke of Wherever.
Here I slightly disagree. I'm less concerned about Meghan than I am about Harry. He's the one who is high-maintanenece. Will Meghan see the full scope of what she is taking on without sustained cohabitation before marriage? I don't think so. Okay, slight back-peddle: I am concerned for Meghan. As intelligent and kind as she may be, she can never be fully savvy about the social/cultural differences she is walking into. I would not want to see her spirit crushed.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, a year-and-a-half of long-distance romance isn't long enough.
I agree.

Quote:
I think that Meghan should move to the UK several months before any engagement is announced and live there as a private citizen (i.e. not somewhere sheltered like a palace) to find out whether she really wants to live there long-term.
Excellent suggestion. Maybe the country lease in the Cotswolds could be that place where she scopes things out (and Harry up close).

The above being so, I don't see a formal engagement announced until next summer, with the wedding in the winter (yes! ), like even in December. And while I think Windsor would be nice for the reasons given here, I am very partial to
a winter wedding in Scotland. Wouldn't that be heavenly? In the snow?

Quote:
I'd hate to see Harry and Meghan marry and have a couple of children and then split up.
That would be sad, but so much depends on just how mature Harry is deep down. Marriage and parenthood can change people (I think we see that with William). Harry does seem to be totally certain, and he is clearly ringing all the right bells for Meghan, so we can hope that the flush of new love will last long enough to weather the ups-and-downs of routine and eventually nappies and what-all. Only time will tell.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:38 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think a winter wedding will happen and I also doubt Scotland as Harry seemingly has no strong ties to it.

I agree that a country house in the Cotswolds is a good idea.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:38 PM
Majesty

Certainly no reasons he couldn't have two designers.

I think more then any royal bride before her, its important Meghan go with a British designer for at least the ceremony. She is not just marrying into the family, she is marrying into the country. She is asking people to see her as the Duchess of X with her husband. Wearing an American designer will simply be a reminder to many that she isn't British. Not a good start.

Now if she wore an American designer to the reception, that would be less stir.

I am sure she will be given a lot of leeway in design, as long as conservative enough. But I think it will be very strongly advised to her to wear British.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Time line for me: (well what seems practical)

-not engaged yet but are under understanding will soon be
-she moves in end of November under fiancé visa (6 months to wed)
-they spend the pre-season together, she goes home to see family for Christmas while he is at Sandringham
-meet up for a vacation between Christmas and New years, one year anniversary of first trip they took. Possibly proposal then.
-Scotland with his family for New Years to tell family. Announce early January

Wedding end of May. May 26 seems likely date:
-Saturday so no concerns for not being bank holiday
-weeks after Kate is due so no worry about baby or her not attending
-before all the big events in June

Also allows for a good honeymoon before June. They could go for a 10-12 day honeymoon and be back for Trooping. She could make her first official debut, after wedding, at Trooping of the color. She would be able to attend Trooping, Order of the Garter, and Ascot as his wife in June.

In October they make their first big trip abroad married, to Invictus in Australia.

I am leaning towards St. George's. 800 people is more then enough room for such a wedding. Likely have seats left open. Unlike the Cambridges there wont be hundreds of politicians and other figures that aren't personal guests. There may be some required guests but certainly not that many.
Exceedingly well thought out, Countessmeout. Impressive.

Have you considered hiring yourself out as their wedding planner? (Could actually happen this way! Wager?)
Old 10-18-2017, 12:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Why is Harry considered 'high maintenance', Lady Nimue, in direct contradiction to what most people who lived with him for months in service in Afghanistan and have worked in charities with him, have consistently said about him?

Neither he nor Meghan are high maintenance IMO or bad tempered or likely to demand the world. Nothing I've read about Harry (or Meghan for that matter) comes to that conclusion at all. He is regularly described as being down to earth, humble about his abilities and easy to work with.

Meghan has lived in London with Harry for weeks at a time at KP. The two of them would regularly have seen the best and the worst of each other.

They would have had literally hundreds of conversations IMO as to Britain, the BRF and personalities within it, what is required of Royal life etc, and Meghan would have seen how Harry deals with things at Invictus, and after coming home to KP after engagements. She's a good natured woman of common sense, I believe, as Harry is himself a very kind and sensible person.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Why is Harry considered 'high maintenance', Lady Nimue, in direct contradiction to what most people who lived with him for months in service in Afghanistan and have worked in charities with him, have consistently said about him?

Neither he nor Meghan are high maintenance IMO or bad tempered or likely to demand the world. Nothing I've read about Harry (or Meghan for that matter) comes to that conclusion at all. He is regularly described as being down to earth, humble about his abilities and easy to work with.

Meghan has lived in London with Harry for weeks at a time at KP. The two of them would regularly have seen the best and the worst of each other.

They would have had literally hundreds of conversations IMO as to Britain, the BRF and personalities within it, what is required of Royal life etc, and Meghan would have seen how Harry deals with things at Invictus, and after coming home to KP after engagements. She's a good natured woman of common sense, I believe, as Harry is himself a very kind and sensible person.
Speaking truth, Curryong. I cosign on all you have said.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:21 AM
Heir Apparent

All okay, Curryong and scriptgirl. We just see things differently (and may have different sources). Doesn't matter. People see people different ways. There is no one 'truth', not so? Time will tell.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Lady Nimue. I actually know people who served with Harry in the Army and in Afghanistan and speak of him in glowing terms, especially after he left and worked with veterans. I prefer to believe the testimony of people who lived with him day by day under uncomfortable conditions.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Public persona is different from private persona. There is no reason to believe that Harry allowed his private persona to be observed in these circumstances. But let's agree to disagree.

P.S. Keep in mind that all these reports of Harry being a bonnie down-to-earth prince was a time, by Harry's own admission, when he was suffering keenly mentally and emotionally. Assume nothing.