The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2241  
Old 10-17-2017, 11:57 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Actually, now that I think about it, June might even be out of question with the Garter ceremony and Trooping. Likely early July.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2242  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:05 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 231
I don't think it's out of question. Perhaps it would be if they were to marry at WA but a wedding in June at St George's is still very much a possibility. (Not my preference, of course. )
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2243  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Only those who have never visited St Georges Chapel could describe it as 'second rate' !

It has arguably the finest Perpendicular Gothic interior in the World, is flooded with light [unlike the stygian gloom of Westminster Abbey], and remains a coherent and beautiful space [unlike WA which is stuffed full of far too many funerary monuments].
Were I casting round for a wedding venue I know which of the two I would plump for !

https://www.eyerevolution.co.uk/wp-c...sor-castle.jpg


Yes, I've been there many times, and I agree it is a beautiful church.

But it's not the Abbey.
Reply With Quote
  #2244  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 5,859
It’s an April baby. So was Charlotte and she went into May. The British media and most world’s for that matter will be glued to the Lindo Windo until it happens

There will be a bit of national celebration. There will be gun salutes and the usual hoopla. Plus Kate will need a bit of downtime. I just don’t understand why they would the wedding to right after it. It may be the case but it would seem a bit haphazard and the Queen likes to run a smooth ship.

I don’t think it would be the end of the world to wait until June. Get the media backup and running give everyone a breather and have a non rushed royal event.
Reply With Quote
  #2245  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:09 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
I don't think it's out of question. Perhaps it would be if they were to marry at WA but a wedding in June at St. George's is still very much a possibility. (Not my preference, of course. )
Unless they plan on using some of the same set up for Harry's wedding, I don't think it's feasible to think they'll have two back to back major events. No matter where it takes place, Harry's wedding will be televised and there will be pomp and pageantry to set up.
Reply With Quote
  #2246  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:09 PM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I will be terribly disappointed if Harry and Meghan marry anywhere other than the Abbey!

Even though St. George's is a pretty venue, for me it seems somehow second-rate, for minor members of the royal family, and I know that is how I will regard it.

(And you know there will be plenty of people saying Meghan wasn't allowed to marry in the Abbey, etc.)
Some senior members of the BRF were married at St George Chapel : The Earl and the Countess of Wessex and of course the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. It's the heart of the Bristish Monarchy, actually it's quite an honor to be married there.
I know the Harry/Meghan fenzy is quite debilitating, but again the British Monarchy is NOT a lifetime movie. Harry is the second son of the heir to the throne, he will be very soon SIXTH in the line of succession. You wouldn't expect the same level of pageantry than the 2011 wedding.
Reply With Quote
  #2247  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:13 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 5,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I also don’t understand the rush for Meghan and Harry to get married. It’s almost like a shotgun wedding

I know fans are eager but Kate’s due will be taken into account. She went into May with Charlotte.

Meghan and Harry have loads of time.

Shotgun? By May/June they will have been dating 2 years....hardly a rush to the altar.


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #2248  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 231
There doesn't have to be the same level of pageantry for a wedding to take place at the Abbey. Harry may soon be 6th in line but he is quite popular and being the second son of the future king is more of plus than a minus for a bigger wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Unless they plan on using some of the same set up for Harry's wedding, I don't think it's feasible to think they'll have two back to back major events. No matter where it takes place, Harry's wedding will be televised and there will be pomp and pageantry to set up.
As as already been pointed out, Sophie and Edward married in June, so it is definitely not out of question.
Reply With Quote
  #2249  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:17 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Some senior members of the BRF were married at St George Chapel : The Earl and the Countess of Wessex and of course the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. It's the heart of the Bristish Monarchy, actually it's quite an honor to be married there.
I know the Harry/Meghan fenzy is quite debilitating, but again the British Monarchy is NOT a lifetime movie. Harry is the second son of the heir to the throne, he will be very soon SIXTH in the line of succession. You wouldn't expect the same level of pageantry than the 2011 wedding.
Everyone has said this won't be as big as W&K's wedding. But to compare the above mentioned wedding to Meghan and Harry isn't accurate either. The Wessexes were not full time royals at that time, nor were they expected to be. The PoW and Duchess didn't get married there, they had a blessing after a civil ceremony. They were also in a different situation being that they were much older, with two long marriages between them, having grown children from both marriages, and of course the scandalous details of their affair.

This is the first marriage for Harry, who is a full time royal and whose life, along with that of his wife, will be devoted to working for the monarchy.
Reply With Quote
  #2250  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,234
I agree with this point of view. I think that I'm in the minority here because I'm not enthralled with the idea of Meghan as a royal spouse. One thing that concerns me is that 60% to 67% of second marriages fail. U.S. Divorce Rates and Statistics - Divorce Stats - Divorce Source

Not only has Meghan been divorced, but her parents are divorced. This doesn't bode well. Remember the 80s and 90s, with royal brides whose parents were divorced?

Actors often come from families where there's been family breakdown. Meghan is no exception.

I wonder whether Meghan and Harry have even been together enough to have had their first major argument? If so, how have they handled it?

I'm sure that Meghan is intelligent and kind and all those things, but I'm concerned about whether she's the right one for Harry, the future HRH Duke of Wherever.

As far as I'm concerned, a year-and-a-half of long-distance romance isn't long enough. I think that Meghan should move to the UK several months before any engagement is announced and live there as a private citizen (i.e. not somewhere sheltered like a palace) to find out whether she really wants to live there long-term.

I'd hate to see Harry and Meghan marry and have a couple of children and then split up.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I also don’t understand the rush for Meghan and Harry to get married. It’s almost like a shotgun wedding

I know fans are eager but Kate’s due will be taken into account. She went into May with Charlotte.

Meghan and Harry have loads of time.
Reply With Quote
  #2251  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
As as already been pointed out, Sophie and Edward married in June, so it is definitely not out of question.
Security concerns were not on the same level back then. That's one area that we don't want people to be overworked and stretched thin on.
Reply With Quote
  #2252  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:26 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I agree with this point of view. I think that I'm in the minority here because I'm not enthralled with the idea of Meghan as a royal spouse. One thing that concerns me is that 60% to 67% of second marriages fail. U.S. Divorce Rates and Statistics - Divorce Stats - Divorce Source

Not only has Meghan been divorced, but her parents are divorced. This doesn't bode well. Remember the 80s and 90s, with royal brides whose parents were divorced?

Actors often come from families where there's been family breakdown. Meghan is no exception.

I wonder whether Meghan and Harry have even been together enough to have had their first major argument? If so, how have they handled it?

I'm sure that Meghan is intelligent and kind and all those things, but I'm concerned about whether she's the right one for Harry, the future HRH Duke of Wherever.

As far as I'm concerned, a year-and-a-half of long-distance romance isn't long enough. I think that Meghan should move to the UK several months before any engagement is announced and live there as a private citizen (i.e. not somewhere sheltered like a palace) to find out whether she really wants to live there long-term.

I'd hate to see Harry and Meghan marry and have a couple of children and then split up.
I find it interesting that Meghan's parents' divorce is pointed out here as something against the success of this marriage, but not Harry's? Whether they make it or not, it's both of their efforts and failures. Or her profession, but not the royals' track of marital success in the recent decades? Yes, I'm aware there are far fewer in the history of royals than Hollywood, but they didn't always stay in wedded bliss either, royals just didn't divorce in those days. Not sure if that's actually better than a divorce.

Either way, a few more months won't change anything, especially if they already knew where this relationship was going early on in the relationship. And really, if they divorce. So what? As long as they can both behave like adults and put the children first, which Meghan has great examples to learn from, it's whatever.
Reply With Quote
  #2253  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I agree with this point of view. I think that I'm in the minority here because I'm not enthralled with the idea of Meghan as a royal spouse. One thing that concerns me is that 60% to 67% of second marriages fail. U.S. Divorce Rates and Statistics - Divorce Stats - Divorce Source

Not only has Meghan been divorced, but her parents are divorced. This doesn't bode well. Remember the 80s and 90s, with royal brides whose parents were divorced?

Actors often come from families where there's been family breakdown. Meghan is no exception.

I wonder whether Meghan and Harry have even been together enough to have had their first major argument? If so, how have they handled it?

I'm sure that Meghan is intelligent and kind and all those things, but I'm concerned about whether she's the right one for Harry, the future HRH Duke of Wherever.

As far as I'm concerned, a year-and-a-half of long-distance romance isn't long enough. I think that Meghan should move to the UK several months before any engagement is announced and live there as a private citizen (i.e. not somewhere sheltered like a palace) to find out whether she really wants to live there long-term.

I'd hate to see Harry and Meghan marry and have a couple of children and then split up.
Same here. Something bothers me about this story, I don't know why but something is off ...
I know all our US friends want their American Princess but i just don't buy it. Maybe later
Reply With Quote
  #2254  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Security concerns were not on the same level back then. That's one area that we don't want people to be overworked and stretched thin on.
I really doubt that's much of an issue, honestly. Lack of prep time? Perhaps. But being overworked or stretched thin? Not really. We're not talking about week-long events here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I agree with this point of view. I think that I'm in the minority here because I'm not enthralled with the idea of Meghan as a royal spouse. One thing that concerns me is that 60% to 67% of second marriages fail. U.S. Divorce Rates and Statistics - Divorce Stats - Divorce Source

Not only has Meghan been divorced, but her parents are divorced. This doesn't bode well. Remember the 80s and 90s, with royal brides whose parents were divorced?

Actors often come from families where there's been family breakdown. Meghan is no exception.

I wonder whether Meghan and Harry have even been together enough to have had their first major argument? If so, how have they handled it?

I'm sure that Meghan is intelligent and kind and all those things, but I'm concerned about whether she's the right one for Harry, the future HRH Duke of Wherever.

As far as I'm concerned, a year-and-a-half of long-distance romance isn't long enough. I think that Meghan should move to the UK several months before any engagement is announced and live there as a private citizen (i.e. not somewhere sheltered like a palace) to find out whether she really wants to live there long-term.

I'd hate to see Harry and Meghan marry and have a couple of children and then split up.
So Meghan should uproot her whole life, give up her career, just to see if she wants to live in another country? Doesn't sound like a good idea at all to me.

I'm not sure why a second marriage for Meghan would be any more of a concern than Anne or Charles remarrying. Divorce is hardly a foreign concept for the BRF.
Reply With Quote
  #2255  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,530
In my experience Divorce seems essentially hereditary.. once it enters a family it OFTEN crops up regularly in any children. That both Prince Harry and his [likely] spouse fall into that category does concern me..
Reply With Quote
  #2256  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 5,631
I generally find it amusing when folks overlook the disfunction found in the BRF in order to make a point about something...somehow only the other side matters!



LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #2257  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Same here. Something bothers me about this story, I don't know why but something is off ...
I know all our US friends want their American Princess but i just don't buy it. Maybe later
Honestly, if being a divorcee is such a big issue, then Charles shouldn't have been allowed to marry a second time, or Anne for that matter.
Reply With Quote
  #2258  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
In my experience Divorce seems essentially hereditary.. once it enters a family it OFTEN crops up regularly in any children. That both Prince Harry and his [likely] spouse fall into that category does concern me..
Unfortunately, you really can't pick people you fall in love with that way and guarantee it'll work.

And really, so what if they divorce down the line? No one can predict that'll happen anymore than the marriage being til death do them apart.
Reply With Quote
  #2259  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Honestly, if being a divorcee is such a big issue, then Charles shouldn't have been allowed to marry a second time, or Anne for that matter.
Being a divorcee is not an issue, as pointed out the BRF is quite familiar with the concept ...
I'm more worried about Meghan's personnality and her capacity to "fit" in the Firm.
But again it's a personnal opinion, and not popular with that.
Time will tell
Reply With Quote
  #2260  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
In my experience Divorce seems essentially hereditary.. once it enters a family it OFTEN crops up regularly in any children. That both Prince Harry and his [likely] spouse fall into that category does concern me..
I disagree. In most cases that I know of, children of divorced parents are more likely to be cautious and don't jump into marriage indiscriminately. My three kids are all happily married and these first marriages are enduring with the shortest marriage being 7 years.

It depends on the personal relationship rather than anything hereditary or the fact that there's been divorces in the family.
__________________

__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 35 (9 members and 26 guests)
Alliec76, andrew, Jacknch, MaiaMia_53, QueenPenny, Spectator, Sunnystar, zaika
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Harry and Meghan: The Love Story" eya Royal Library 30 10-28-2017 02:39 AM




Popular Tags
best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark duchess of cambridge eveningwear dutch state visit earl of snowdon europe general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín james bond king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein margherita monarchy news paris picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar prince philip prince sebastian princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family united kingdom victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises