Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Say what you will about US tabloids like US Weekly and People but Variety is a legit trade news source. If they are reporting that Markle and Adams are likely leaving the show before an 8th season, then it's likely true.

I think we're going to see an engagement announcement from Harry and Meghan in early to mid-December

Variety and The Hollywood Reporter have tweeted links to articles about both Meghan and Patrick leaving Suits.These are legit sources so maybe very true. On top of that, Wendell Pierce who plays Meghan's on screen father sub tweeted the Variety tweet saying 'my beloved on screen daughter'. Filming wraps up this week and I am trying to contain myself.

Emily Andrews dropped a tiny hint on Twitter that Harry and Meghan were away together recently so maybe a story will break about that soon but not from her as she is on maternity leave.

Patrick we will have to wait and see. He and his wife have had a long distance relationship since dating. Not clear whether he'd drop the show for that.

But Meghan the writing has long been on the wall. Even if her and Harry aren't set to marry in summer as some of us suspect. If she signs for season 8, that would mean she would be filming until November 2018, a wedding best in 2019. I guess she could negotiate for a half season and be done in the summer, but that would still be looking at wedding in 2019. For a woman who would be going on 38 by then, if she and Harry want kids, that keeps pushing it.

The tweet from her on-screen dad seems to confirm her leaving at least.

Variety and the Hollywood Reporter are pretty solid. They are industry publications, not tabliods. If they say both Meghan and Patrick are leaving I believe it.

And honestly, having a baby in your late 30's is very common now days. Or maybe it's just my circle of friends. So I'm not understanding the worry. If she was like 43, 44, then yeah, time to get a move on. But 36, 37? I'm not seeing the urgency. My guess is like any woman in her mid to late 30's, she's been in close contact with her gynecologist and is aware of anything she might need to look out for. And you never know, sometimes the issue getting pregnant lies with the guy.

Variety and the Hollywood Reporter are pretty solid. They are industry publications, not tabliods. If they say both Meghan and Patrick are leaving I believe it.

And honestly, having a baby in your late 30's is very common now days. Or maybe it's just my circle of friends. So I'm not understanding the worry. If she was like 43, 44, then yeah, time to get a move on. But 36, 37? I'm not seeing the urgency. My guess is like any woman in her mid to late 30's, she's been in close contact with her gynecologist and is aware of anything she might need to look out for. And you never know, sometimes the issue getting pregnant lies with the guy.

I remember a thread where you picked out a past royal you'd love to spend time with and I picked Henry VIII because I would have loved to have seen his face when presented with the scientific fact that its the male that determines the sex of the child. Would have thrown him for a huge loop methinks.

Variety has been the go to trade paper for the entertainment industry for decades and to me, its like the Telegraph in the UK rather than the Daily Fail.
The more information that has been coming out surrounding season 8 for Suits all points to the fact that Meghan will be leaving in order to go onto bigger and better things that she wants to do with her life and the handwriting on the wall points to one culprit that we all know has a name that starts with the letter H and ends with Y with ARR in the middle. :D

How this couple will work things from the point of both being free and clear to move their relationship forward is anyone's guess at this point but that relationship train is leaving the station. We just don't know the ETA of it at its destination yet.

I saw the news of Meghan and Patrick leaving Suits from industry publications so I believe the news is true. I see the engagement announcement after the queen and the D of E's anniversary. I wonder if the cast will be in the guest list?

I could see them waiting till after the holiday season though. Jan announcement.

Could be tomorrow...you never know.

LaRae

I’m not that surprised about Patrick. I know he’s talked about itching to move on to something new in the past when he talked about season 7. I definitely didn’t think additional seasons were in his plans, which is why I was surprised by season 8 renewal. But this all works out now. I think it’s quite clear Meghan isn’t coming back now.

As for Emily Andrews’ comment about them being away. I know we were expecting Meghan to film until 15th bc that’s the last day of filming, but Sarah Rafferty filmed all her scenes by Monday. Wouldn’t surprise me a bit if Meghan has finished early as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Variety is a legit industry publication, I believe their report of Meghan and Patrick leaving.

I think the filming is pretty much wrapped, and I'm making a guess, that Meghan will very soon appear in UK. I can't wait to see what happens with them next.

Well, whether Patrick wanted to leave or not, if Meghan's not renewing and the showrunners didn't have a plan for his character that didn't involved her, then it may not have been in his hands.

And the delay in the network announcing another season for Suits may be them wanting to see the next direction the writers have in mind, given that they lost their lead after last season and now are losing a whole storyline with the departure of these two.

That's all tangential to this thread, though. Meghan is really, one way or another, moving on to a new chapter in her life! It's (maybe) happening! Just in time for American Thanksgiving...I mean, any degree of change or forward momentum is something for us royal-watchers to be thankful for, don't you think? If only because it's at least a slight tweak to the on-alert-but-nothing's-happening loop we've been stuck in for a while.

I could see them waiting till after the holiday season though. Jan announcement.

Could be tomorrow...you never know.

LaRae

I tend to think it will be January too, but I wouldn't mind being wrong and it be this month. ?

I think Variety is a legit industry publication, I believe their report of Meghan and Patrick leaving.

I think the filming is pretty much wrapped, and I'm making a guess, that Meghan will very soon appear in UK. I can't wait to see what happens with them next.

I was just thinking the same thing. If she is finished with filming, then she is free to move to the UK now and hopefully there will be more sightings of her and Harry.

Saw a Twitter pic earlier today of Meghan at a (end of shoot?) party with some of the Suits people.

LaRae

It seems like everything is falling into place.

We will know soon enough I think! Within the next 60 days or so I expect something.

LaRae

I think things have worked out nicely for Meghan. Suits is pretty much on it's last legs and 7 seasons is quite an achievement for any show. Seems like the best time to bow out!

I personally would hold off on an engagement announcement until she's lived in England for a few months. Simply because I'm not sure how it will go down with the British taxpayers if they are suddenly expected to start funding a lady that has never lived in the UK or contributed in any way to British society. It will reek of entitlement.

Anyone Harry gets engaged to will need RPO's ...doesn't matter if she's a Brit or from Outer Mongolia. How is it entitlement for them to need funding for RPO's?

Not sure what other funding you could mean?

LaRae

Anyone Harry gets engaged to will need RPO's ...doesn't matter if she's a Brit or from Outer Mongolia. How is it entitlement for them to need funding for RPO's?

Not sure what other funding you could mean?

LaRae

Who said anything about not giving Meghan an RPO upon engagement? That was not my argument at all. I think you misunderstood my point. I was talking about the timing of an engagement announcement & why I think it should be delayed till at least Meghan has lived in the UK for a short period. Of course if they get engaged she will be entitled to an RPO.

Last edited:
Then what funding are you talking about? She won't be using taxpayer funding if she lives in the UK as a private citizen. She does have her own means of support.

LaRae

Then what funding are you talking about? She won't be using taxpayer funding if she lives in the UK as a private citizen. She does have her own means of support.

LaRae

Who said anything about Meghan receiving taxpayers money as a private citizen? Of course she won't be entitled to taxpayers money as a private citizen.

What I said was why I think an engagement announcement should be delayed. Hypothetically if H&M get engaged next week she would automatically be entitled to funding by the British taxpayers from next week, this includes RPOs & other expenses that comes with royal life. Due to the fact that she has never lived in the UK I think this would make bad optics. Best thing will be to have her live as a private citizen in the UK for a few months where she funds herself.

Last edited:
Who said anything about Meghan receiving taxpayers money as a private citizen? Of course she won't be entitled to taxpayers money as a private citizen.

What I said was why I think an engagement announcement should be delayed. Hypothetically if H&M get engaged next week she would automatically be entitled to funding by the British taxpayers from next week, this includes RPOs & other expenses that comes with royal life. Due to the fact that she has never lived in the UK I think this would make bad optics. Best thing will be to have her live as a private citizen in the UK for a few months where she funds herself.

What other expenses that come with royal life? There won't be any whatsoever until after she's married to Harry. Up until she says "I do" at the altar, she'll be a private citizen. Those months between the engagement announcement and the actual wedding will be the months she lives in the UK as a private citizen and a royal fiancee. She will not be doing anything "official" for the Firm or be listed in the court circular. After marriage, all expenses that need to be covered will be either from the Queen and the Sovereign Grant or Charles or Harry and Meghan themselves. The *only* thing pertinent to the royal's lifestyle that is paid directly by the tax payers is the protection details. The RPOs get their paychecks from the Metropolitan Police if I'm not mistaken.

No matter who Harry gets engaged to, be it Meghan or anyone else, they will receive the tax payer funding of a RPO. Its only sensible. :D

So you say she's entitled to RPO's if she's engaged but you don't want her to be engaged because you don't want her to have taxpayer money too soon. What does 3 or even 6 months matter?

The logic is a bit lacking in your position Queen E.

LaRae

Let's put it another way, would Americans be happy to have a first lady who has never lived or worked in the US? Melania Trump is certainly not to my taste but at least she lived & worked in the US for a number of years prior to when her husband became president.

Obviously I don't expect Meghan to live in the UK for several years prior to an engagement but at least for a period wouldn't hurt. And it makes better optics in my opinion. How can you be a representative of a country that you have never lived in? The royal family are funded almost entirely by the British taxpayer from their security, to where they live, travel, holidays, their clothes, their staff, nannies etc.

Britain has become more insular especially after Brexit, so it would be risky if they were to announce an engagement just as soon as she moves to the country. Think about it, someone who has never lived or worked in the UK, suddenly arrives & announces an engagement where she will then be put on the British taxpayer payroll upon her engagement? I dont think that will go down well.

If you look at some of the other foreign spouses of other royal houses like Princess Mary, she lived in Denmark for a year or so before an engagement was announced.

Let's put it another way, would Americans be happy to have a first lady who has never lived or worked in the US? Melania Trump is certainly not to my taste but at least she lived & worked in the US for a number of years prior to when her husband became president.

Obviously I don't expect Meghan to live in the UK for several years prior to an engagement but at least for a period wouldn't hurt. And it makes better optics in my opinion. How can you be a representative of a country that you have never lived in? The royal family are funded almost entirely by the British taxpayer. Whether it's the duchy etc it is still not their money.

Britain has become more insular especially after Brexit, so it would be risky if they were to announce an engagement just as soon as she moves to the country. Think about it, someone who has never lived or worked in the UK, suddenly arrives & announces an engagement where she will then be put on the British taxpayer payroll upon her engagement? I dont think that will go down well.

If you look at some of the other foreign spouses of other royal houses like Princess Mary, she lived in Denmark for a year or so before an engagement was announced.

The way the royal family is funded is very well explained out in the Royal Wealth and Finance thread. The private income of the Queen and Charles are from agreements that have been made years and years ago. The *monarchy* and the "Firm" is a whole different ball of wax and how the funds are spent are itemized and published every year.

Can you be more specific and fill us in on exactly what the public taxpayer is going to be doling out the money for? There is *no* taxpayer payroll for any of the British royal famly or the monarchy from what I understand.

I'm not seeing how a few months change the optics. Look, Meghan is American. Even when she eventually applies for British citizenship, she's still American. The people who have a problem with that are always going to have a problem with that. A few months won't change that. Legally Harry is allowed to marry a foreigner and his fiancee is entitled to RPO protection just like Kate and anyone else. I'm not aware of any clauses that create an acception for foreign born brides.

So she moves to the UK, not engaged, and does what? You want to talk about bad optics? I can see it now. "Desperate Meghan Markle, gives up her career to move to London to pressure Harry to propose!" She wouldn't be able to work or even do any charity work (accept the charity work she already has one her own) because anything she does will be seen as her trying to audition for the part of princess.

The situation is what it is, and Meghan is who she is. 3-6 months living in the UK, with no engagement and no real job will not change that.

Obviously I don't expect Meghan to live in the UK for several years prior to an engagement but at least for a period wouldn't hurt. And it makes better optics in my opinion. How can you be a representative of a country that you have never lived in? The royal family are funded almost entirely by the British taxpayer from their security, to where they live, travel, holidays, their clothes, their staff, nannies etc.

Wouldn't make me a bit of difference if the president had a foreign wife he met while president and brought her over mid term and married her a month later. What possible difference does that make? If she didn't have an interest in representing the US he wouldn't be marrying her.

I still don't know what you think the taxpayers are going to be paying for. It's been outlined to you pretty well by another poster that she's not moving here and getting on the dole and spending her days eating bon bons and watching Downton.

LaRae

The way the royal family is funded is very well explained out in the Royal Wealth and Finance thread. The private income of the Queen and Charles are from agreements that have been made years and years ago. The *monarchy* and the "Firm" is a whole different ball of wax and how the funds are spent are itemized and published every year.

Can you be more specific and fill us in on exactly what the public taxpayer is going to be doling out the money for? There is *no* taxpayer payroll for any of the British royal famly or the monarchy from what I understand.

The royals are not always transparent with their finances hence the recent uproar regarding some of The Queen's & Prince Charles investments. But let us not kid ourselves to think that the bulk of their expenses is coming from their own pockets.

I edited my response above to include expenses of their security, running cost of their households, travel, holidays, their clothes, their staff, nannies etc.

While Meghan is a US citizen, she has been living in a Commonwealth country for several years, 7 years is a long time. The Queen is the head of state of Canada so in a way, the ‘optics’ as you say, are already good, in my opinion.

I think things have worked out nicely for Meghan. Suits is pretty much on it's last legs and 7 seasons is quite an achievement for any show. Seems like the best time to bow out!

I personally would hold off on an engagement announcement until she's lived in England for a few months. Simply because I'm not sure how it will go down with the British taxpayers if they are suddenly expected to start funding a lady that has never lived in the UK or contributed in any way to British society. It will reek of entitlement.
I think that is what an engagement is for, to formally introduce Harry's future wife to the people of the UK and Commonwealth. They can't do it in a "no ring, no bring" private or royal engagement situation and it's a little pointless being in the UK, even living with Harry, but not being able to be an officially recognised +1.

That describes Meghan's status when she joined Harry at the IG. For the opening and closing ceremonies, she was not front and centre beside Harry. An engagement brings her officially to Harry's side. Without a ring it's open season on Meghan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom