The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2141  
Old 10-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Peru
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
You can google moving to the UK etc

I would imagine they wouldn't want that to happen either. Meghan has gotten some sort of work Visa before so she should have a little bit of an idea how to go about it...of course she can get guidance the Visa process too if needed.

If they have already known the direction things are going my guess is they are paying attention to timelines etc.


LaRae
What category do you think she is or will be applying for? A work visa is out of the question as she has no employer in the UK, a permanent 'family of a setyled person' visa one would be hard as being someone's girlfriend is not enough (being a fiancée is!). From my perspective, unless they use Harry's royal status and somehow arrange a (US) diplomatic passport for her or make exceptions on the basis of Harry's position as a prince and Meghan being his girlfriend, as long as there is no engagement, she can't apply for a permanent visa but she can apply for the 'join partner or family for long stay' (up to 6 months) but as that's only a temporary solution, she might not be allowed to move her stuff.

This is of course, if the normal rules apply for her, I am not sure that would be the case. I just hope they won't make exceptions at least until she is a royal fianceé (i.e., it has been made official that she is going to join the BRF).
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2142  
Old 10-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Peru
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I'm mostly on "engagement watch " with these two. I have read 2 articles that suggests the announcement will come the end of November.
That's indeed the earliest expected date by almost anyone. Suits is filming until November 15. The Duke and Queen's 70th wedding anniversary is the 20th, so after that it's up to them...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2143  
Old 10-16-2017, 11:10 AM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 432
Anyone saying the UK visa system is quick and straightforward clearly has no experience of it. What might seem simple when written in a piece of legislation is not so in practice. Getting a visa to remain in the UK long term can be very difficult as is getting UK citizenship.

I have a friend who, despite living in the UK for over 20 years having come here as a child, and being married to a British citizen has never actually taken on British citizenship. Now the UK is leaving the EU she is desperate to get her British passport. It's so far taken over a year and cost over £1,000 and she's still not there yet.

Of course elements of this will be made easier for Meghan but if rules and regulations are waived for her you better believe there will be an almightly outcry from the press and public alike. It would be a PR disaster of huge proportions.

I suspect she might have some sort of visa already if she's ever been to the UK to work in a film previously, we have an extensive film and TV industry here don't forget. That might negate the requirement for a further visa but she will still require citizenship at some point I assume.
Reply With Quote
  #2144  
Old 10-16-2017, 11:28 AM
Alisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,069
Sorry to hear about your friend's plight. It shouldn't take long if she is married to a british citizen. No?!
__________________
Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. ---Phaedrus
Reply With Quote
  #2145  
Old 10-16-2017, 11:39 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Peru
Posts: 401
Meghan can freely come to the UK as a tourist. As she has done on earlier visits to Harry. No visa required. If she wants to move to the UK, she will need a visa. According to the government website the 'family of a settled person' visa (that she can apply for as a fiancée) takes 12 weeks to process - longer if some papers are missing or incorrect. Alernatively, she can first 'join partner for long stay' (no visa required for American citizens) and apply for the permanent visa while in the UK. In that case the process takes 8 weeks if all docs are ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Sorry to hear about your friend's plight. It shouldn't take long if she is married to a british citizen. No?!
Just being married to a citizen is typically not enough. Most countries have other requirements as well (but they vary between countries) before you can become a citizen.

PetticoatLane, I hope that your friend soon gets granted her citizenship. Could the delay be due to the enormous influx of citizenship applications after the Brexit vote? Getting citizenship would be good for her peace of mind as these processes can be very stressful.

(Never applied for citizenship myself, but have friends who did and in one case the hick-up was with type of work contract and earning a sufficient amount of money. I do have multiple experiences with applying for long-term visa for different countries though; currently 'waiting' to be approved ourselves - not for UK)
Reply With Quote
  #2146  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I'm mostly on "engagement watch " with these two. I have read 2 articles that suggests the announcement will come the end of November.
I agree 100%. I am on pins and needles waiting for the next appearance and the engagement announcement.

Also, the engagement announcement, if it comes in November would have to be after the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's anniversary celebration and most likely before US Thanksgiving. Is it likely Meghan could show up to the Queen's wedding anniversary celebrations or the Queen's Xmas lunch?

Also, would Harry and Meghan's kids have dual citizenship?
Reply With Quote
  #2147  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,742
Me three! I can't wait. Harry and Meghan may see each other in Chicago, otherwise it's probably going to be a bit of a drought in catching any glimpse of them together until at least mid November. Sigh!
Reply With Quote
  #2148  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,530
If Ms Markle is given 'special treatment' for her inward immigration there would be VERY BAD publicity reprecussions for herself, Prince Harry and the BRF...

'Skipping the queue' just isn't on !

Exceptions for the privileged are ENTIRELY unacceptable these days.
Reply With Quote
  #2149  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 5,859
I think we talked about citizenship issues before. I’m not sure if the children could become dual citizens or not but my opinion is if Meghan is prepared to marry Harry, she needs to be prepared to make some big sacrifices and that involves leaving a part of her life behind.

There will be a lot of expectations put on her and the sooner she becomes ‘British’ the better.

No issues of people questioning her ‘loyalties’
Reply With Quote
  #2150  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,742
I wouldn't be surprised at all if applications for a visa are in motion already and probably have been for some weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #2151  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
Also, the engagement announcement, if it comes in November would have to be after the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's anniversary celebration and most likely before US Thanksgiving. Is it likely Meghan could show up to the Queen's wedding anniversary celebrations or the Queen's Xmas lunch?

Also, would Harry and Meghan's kids have dual citizenship?
The US Thanksgiving is 23rd this year. Given that the Queen's anniversary is 20th, it's highly doubtful to come before Thanksgiving.

And their kids would be eligible for dual citizenship, but I don't believe that they would go for that option. It's still up for debate whether Meghan would keep her US citizenship once she marries as she will be a representative of the Queen.
Reply With Quote
  #2152  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
If Ms Markle is given 'special treatment' for her inward immigration there would be VERY BAD publicity reprecussions for herself, Prince Harry and the BRF...

'Skipping the queue' just isn't on !

Exceptions for the privileged are ENTIRELY unacceptable these days.
Except, she'll be representing the Queen. It'd cause a bigger controversy if one of the full time royals representing HMQ on a regular basis both in Britain and overseas isn't a subject of the Queen.

I'm not saying there won't be any voices of dissent on this, but it's likely more acceptable for her to be a British citizen than not from the beginning of her marriage. It's a delicate situation, and it'll cause some people to be unhappy either way.
Reply With Quote
  #2153  
Old 10-16-2017, 01:00 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 5,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I think we talked about citizenship issues before. I’m not sure if the children could become dual citizens or not but my opinion is if Meghan is prepared to marry Harry, she needs to be prepared to make some big sacrifices and that involves leaving a part of her life behind.

There will be a lot of expectations put on her and the sooner she becomes ‘British’ the better.

No issues of people questioning her ‘loyalties’

As a global society now days are people really going to be concerned about the loyalties of someone from one the U.S.? I mean except for that one ah..'incident' relations between the U.S. and U.K. are fairly warm for decades.



LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #2154  
Old 10-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Peru
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all if applications for a visa are in motion already and probably have been for some weeks.
But on what basis? As it stands she has no grounds to apply for a permanent visa if I understand it correctly: she has no work lined up nor is a family member (as long as she isn't engaged)...

For a temporary stay she doesn't need a visa.
Reply With Quote
  #2155  
Old 10-16-2017, 01:05 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
As a global society now days are people really going to be concerned about the loyalties of someone from one the U.S.? I mean except for that one ah..'incident' relations between the U.S. and U.K. are fairly warm for decades.



LaRae
I think there are a lot of resentment to the global society concept. Not trying to get into politics, but Brexit and the US election, both rather protectionist, last year made that pretty clear.
Reply With Quote
  #2156  
Old 10-16-2017, 01:07 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
But on what basis? As it stands she has no grounds to apply for a permanent visa if I understand it correctly: she has no work lined up nor is a family member (as long as she isn't engaged)...

For a temporary stay she doesn't need a visa.
I'm on the side that she'll be in UK as a tourist until there is an engagement. Once they are engaged, she'll likely be granted citizenship rather than go through the fiancee visa. I think all of that will be taken care of or at least very decided prior to any announcement.
Reply With Quote
  #2157  
Old 10-16-2017, 01:07 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 5,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I think there are a lot of resentment to the global society concept. Not trying to get into politics, but Brexit and the US election, both rather protectionist, last year made that pretty clear.
Doesn't really have to be political...I would find it surprising that anyone wouldn't have some sort of protectionist views. There are limits. I'm not suggesting a society without borders by any means.

Global Society was more in reference to the fact that due to things like the internet and ability to travel we are all living in a smaller world in some ways.


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #2158  
Old 10-16-2017, 01:11 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Peru
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Except, she'll be representing the Queen. It'd cause a bigger controversy if one of the full time royals representing HMQ on a regular basis both in Britain and overseas isn't a subject of the Queen.

I'm not saying there won't be any voices of dissent on this, but it's likely more acceptable for her to be a British citizen than not from the beginning of her marriage. It's a delicate situation, and it'll cause some people to be unhappy either way.
Agreed. This would be the one exception that I think they will (and should be) made - very different from accomodating a prince's girlfriend a (quick) visa if she has no formal ground for migrating.

If she is to represent the UK, she needs to be a British subject. Other countries have done the same (speedier process to obtain citizenship) at least for their crown princesses; I don't think princess Claire of Luxembourg has Luxembourgish citizenship yet but she has never lived in the country either nor foes she regularly represent her father-in-law. Her sister-in-law Stephanie is the latest example of a royal bride being granted citizenship of her new country faster than the normal procedure would allow.
Reply With Quote
  #2159  
Old 10-16-2017, 01:12 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Doesn't really have to be political...I would find it surprising that anyone wouldn't have some sort of protectionist views. There are limits. I'm not suggesting a society without borders by any means.

Global Society was more in reference to the fact that due to things like the internet and ability to travel we are all living in a smaller world in some ways.


LaRae
Then to answer the original question you had about loyalty, yes, they would still question her loyalty to the monarch and country if she isn't a British citizen. After all, US is US, Britain is Britain. There are some things that isn't going to change.
Reply With Quote
  #2160  
Old 10-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Agreed. This would be the one exception that I think they will (and should be) made - very different from accomodating a prince's girlfriend a (quick) visa if she has no formal ground for migrating.

If she is to represent the UK, she needs to be a British subject. Other countries have done the same (speedier process to obtain citizenship) at least for their crown princesses; I don't think princess Claire of Luxembourg has Luxembourgish citizenship yet but she has never lived in the country either nor foes she regularly represent her father-in-law. Her sister-in-law Stephanie is the latest example of a royal bride being granted citizenship of her new country faster than the normal procedure would allow.
Denmark has done this for the former Princess Alexandra, Crown Princess Mary, and Princess Marie. All were granted citizenship upon marriage without having to wait the normal amount of time.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 34 (8 members and 26 guests)
Alliec76, andrew, MaiaMia_53, QueenPenny, Spectator, Sunnystar, zaika
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Harry and Meghan: The Love Story" eya Royal Library 30 10-28-2017 02:39 AM




Popular Tags
best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark duchess of cambridge eveningwear dutch state visit earl of snowdon europe general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín james bond king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein margherita monarchy news paris picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar prince philip prince sebastian princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family united kingdom victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises