The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
As a rule I stay away from the DF comment section and most comment sections nowadays. Paid trolls are a thing and it's not worth getting my blood pressure up.

The only reason I look at some of them sometimes is if I want to drink their salty tears and laugh at them.

Honestly - if Meghan marries into the BRF the first thing she'll have to develop is a very thick skin and a way of shutting out the hate. It's likely she'll never encounter it - as long as she avoids most social media.

And as for The Tig - I think the main reason she shut it down was because it was being abused by the media for clickbait articles. They were mining it for stories they could write - as if it was new content - but I think it just made Meghan feel hunted and also it was probably hard seeing her words misinterpreted so badly in their attempts to create "news". Imagine someone going through something you created from the heart over the years and picking it apart and then publishing it in ways you never intended. That had to suck.

Plus I think it became a distraction and a source of stress because everyone was picking apart everything she did and said on social media. I mean, with her instagram, folks picked apart her banana thing and even now they dissect her jewelry, shirt names, etc... I think she decided it was best to simply go dark to prevent that kind of thing.

I think she and Harry were really smart about staying under the radar - but her blog and instagram account became the ONLY way the press could print anything about her so she closed that door too.

Smart woman.
What I fear is that someone would say something racist to Meghan's face while she is at an engagement. If Harry is there, it won't be pretty.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
What I fear is that someone would say something racist to Meghan's face while she is at an engagement. If Harry is there, it won't be pretty.
That will not happen, judging by the response in Toronto people will be happy to see her. The racist trolls are on social media and they are not just from England but all over the world. Also they are paid foreign posters used to sway opinion similar to what we dealt with in the US and also Bots.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:32 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I highly doubt this would happen. Most people who would be at these events aren't that stupid.

But if the unthinkable did happen, Meghan would handle it gracefully. She's experienced racism before and probably has a way of handling it. For most people who are black or biracial (black and something else), we've developed skills to handle that kind of thing gracefully if it ever happened in polite society, etc.. which would be the case for any engagements Meghan would be present for.

She'll be fine.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:41 PM
Heir Apparent

It would be a bold person IMO who would say something racist to a royal's face when they've been invited to a charity engagement.

As for someone saying rough things to a member of the BRF when they are greeting crowds on a walkabout, there's always that risk. As far as I know it's never happened. The worst was a very eager young woman in Australia who kissed Harry on the lips when he wasn't expecting it and a man told Kate to her face that he was a republican, on one occasion.

People gather to see a favourite Royal, not to be nasty. And if it ever happened Meghan would just be trained to smile politely and move on.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
British tradition at the time was to have just children as attendants. None of the royal brides of the 70's, 80's, and 90's had adults as the bride's attendants. (Lady Sarah is the only one that I can think of that had adult bridesmaids.) Not until the 2000's do you see adult attendants at a BRF wedding: Autumn Kelly, Kate Middleton and Zara Phillips had them. Most European royal weddings follow a similar pattern with a few exceptions ie: Mary Donaldson in 2004 who had three adult attendants.

Should Meghan and Harry marry I'd expect Harry's nephew George, niece Charlotte and perhaps his cousin James to be in the wedding party for his side.
As you pointed out, Kate, Autumn and Zara all had at least one adult. No reason to believe that Meghan wont at least have one. The poster was simply asking about a maid of honor (like Pippa was for Kate).

George and Charlotte are highly likely but James I don't see. If they go the standard route, 2 pages. The pages tend to be a similar age. If George is a page, I would think someone like little Charlie Meade is more likely to be paired with George.

I also don't think we will see a royal heavy party like Kate. Meghan has friends with children including goddaughters she is quite close to. And the Mulroney kids as well. I would think we will see a nice balance.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I would imagine Harry will for sure include George/Charlotte in his wedding party then whomever else. If there's 3 from each side (bride/groom) that's plenty big enough wedding party, along with one adult to 'mind' the kiddies.

LaRae
Old 10-12-2017, 11:52 PM
Majesty

Two adults, as I assume Harry will have a best man as well. But the maid of honor isn't simply there to wrangle kids, she is there as a witness for the bride. Helping with the kids is just a bonus.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
British tradition at the time was to have just children as attendants. None of the royal brides of the 70's, 80's, and 90's had adults as the bride's attendants. (Lady Sarah is the only one that I can think of that had adult bridesmaids.) Not until the 2000's do you see adult attendants at a BRF wedding: Autumn Kelly, Kate Middleton and Zara Phillips had them. Most European royal weddings follow a similar pattern with a few exceptions ie: Mary Donaldson in 2004 who had three adult attendants.

Should Meghan and Harry marry I'd expect Harry's nephew George, niece Charlotte and perhaps his cousin James to be in the wedding party for his side.
The Queen had eight adult or late teens (not children) bridesmaids for her wedding in 1947. Many royal weddings had young unmarried women or late teens young women as bridesmaids earlier in the 20th century rather than little girls.
Diana had 17 year old Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones who was only 3 years younger than the bride.
As mentioned above, Lady Sarah had two adult and one teenage (Zara) bridesmaid.
If Meghan has someone she feels especially close to-friend, cousin, I expect we may see her have an adult bridesmaid. It's not that strong or long of a tradition to only have children.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
From what I have seen all the criticism of the Middletons has gone away.

I agree, if Meghan was a foreign princess, people would still have a fit.
There is currently a lull in the Middleton criticism as nothing much has been happening to spin a negative story. Pippa is now a boring married woman, Carole hasn't been pictured I think since Wimbledon. I'm sure the tabloids will find a story to twist eventually.

There is always someone willing to write and publish negative articles about anyone in the public eye-unfortunately that includes the people related to those in the public eye.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Two adults, as I assume Harry will have a best man as well. But the maid of honor isn't simply there to wrangle kids, she is there as a witness for the bride. Helping with the kids is just a bonus.
Oh yes I forgot William!

LaRae
Old 10-13-2017, 12:06 AM
Aristocracy

I meant more that someone would say something racist to Meghan on walkabout, not a at a planned charity event. And yes, if that did happen, Meghan would handle it with grace, but it still worries me.

Who is Charlie Meade? Is it possible that Camilla's grandkids would be in the wedding party? Weren't they in Will and Kate's?
Old 10-13-2017, 12:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Exactly.

First of all, Meghan is a mainly TV actress. Second, she has done absolutely no work on a Miramax film, nor does she a share any common credits with HW. Dragging her name into the scandal would be obvious clickbait and I don't think most people would give it credence.

And, as LaRae points out, the one with the mud on him here is HW, not his victims.
I saw at least one article about Harry's ex Cressida's connection to HW, so they have that scandal covered for click bait, thus I doubt they'll try anything w/ Meghan who has no connection w/ HW.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Charlie Meades' father, Harry, is a fellow equestrian friend of Zara's and Prince Harry...they go way back.

One of Camilla's granddaughters was in the wedding party of William/Kate.

LaRae
Old 10-13-2017, 12:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:

I meant more that someone would say something racist to Meghan on walkabout, not a at a planned charity event. And yes, if that did happen, Meghan would handle it with grace, but it still worries me.

Who is Charlie Meade? Is it possible that Camilla's grandkids would be in the wedding party? Weren't they in Will and Kate's?
Yes, Eliza Lopes (Laura's daughter) was a bridesmaid for Kate. She has 8 year old sons who would be a bit old to be paired with George. Tom's kids are 10 and 7, the son 7 so again seems a bit old to be paired with George.

Charlie Meade is the son of Harry Meade, an event rider. He and James, his brother, are friends with both William and Harry. Charlie is often seen with Mia at eventing, he is the same age as her and George. Age wise he would be a good partner with George.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...4883236494.jpg
Old 10-13-2017, 12:24 AM
Heir Apparent

What about Mark Dyer's son(s) as pages? Harry is still very close to Mark, and Jasper Dyer is his godson.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Would make sense if Jasper is the right age since he's Harry's godson.

LaRae
Old 10-13-2017, 12:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
What about Mark Dyer's son(s) as pages? Harry is still very close to Mark, and Jasper Dyer is his godson.
Jasper will be about six if they marry next summer. Closer at least in age to George then say James. The pages for Kate were 2 years apart, so good option.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Royals like other public figures are advised to handle such incidents quietly and move on. It's unpleasant, but unlike most of us if they feel their safety is threatened than their security steps in to deal with the situation.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Good suggestion.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Ask the Spencers if criticism and attention died down as other royal weddings happened.

The Middletons are the inlaws of the future king of England, grandparents/aunts/uncles of the future king of England. They are always going to draw attention.
Absolutely agree and unfortunately this is true.