The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 01:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
The comments re that Daily Fail article are horrible. It seems like no one in the UK like Meghan. They fear she will dilute the blood line and end the royal family and think she is attention seeking.
The Daily Fail and its comment section represent only...the Daily Fail and its commentors. We've seen time and time again that it's not wise to equate the opinions of that publication and its readership with the UK at large.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Just remember that what the commentators in the Fail say are not, in any way, any kind of a measure of what the British general public think. Those that comment in the Fail are a breed of their own.

Personally if there's a link posted and I see the words "Daily Mail", I don't even bother to click on it or read it. I refuse to feed that odious beast.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It seems like no one in the UK like Meghan
It would be a tragic error to mistake the crazed rantings of the Daily Mail comments to Public opinion in the UK. REALLY tragic. They represent no-one but themselves, and are an entirely self-selecting sub-sect.
The reality is that Ms Markle is an 'unknown quantity' to the VAST majority of Britons, and as yet they have formed no opinion on her.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

There are approx 65 and a half million people in the UK, of these about 105,000 people sign up for a regular rant in the Fail. It's not just Meghan by any means, politicians, celebrities, other royals and their relatives, they all get it in the neck. IMO these commenters all just enjoy moaning about others as it makes them feel better about their own lives.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Just remember...Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics. It applies to combox commenters too.

LaRae
Old 10-12-2017, 03:38 PM
Nobility

The Fail's comment section represents deplorables and do not represent all of the UK. What concerns me the scandal of the day:. Hollywood sexual predator Harvey Weinstein. If you follow the news it's pretty disgusting; and every A to Z list actress has come out about her experiences. Meghan is part of Hollywood and I fear she'll be dragged into this mess. Publications like the Fail may be looking for a connection to get clicks and circulation up. It would be a test of H&M's relationship ( and I hope there is no tie) but if there is one the critics would push the queen to go thumbs down for the marriage.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Got curious and read the comments. One of the commenters says they read in the supermarket check out aisle they are looking for a home in Beverly Hills with Harry moving to California permanently. Anything is possible. I personally think they will divide their time between two to three locations.

I also think marriage is not a sure thing. There might be an 'understanding' right now but Meghan needs to live in the UK for a while sans anything official to get a taste of what she's signing up for, both with the UK populace and with Harry. Needs a 'shake-down cruise', I think, to know for certain. JMO.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
The Fail's comment section represents deplorables and do not represent all of the UK. What concerns me the scandal of the day:. Hollywood sexual predator Harvey Weinstein. If you follow the news it's pretty disgusting; and every A to Z list actress has come out about her experiences. Meghan is part of Hollywood and I fear she'll be dragged into this mess. Publications like the Fail may be looking for a connection to get clicks and circulation up. It would be a test of H&M's relationship ( and I hope there is no tie) but if there is one the critics would push the queen to go thumbs down for the marriage.
Unless this guy has some sort of connection with the show then it is unlikely to effect Meghan. She's been living and filming in Canada for some time.

Further even if she was involved..she would be a victim. Not sure how that would be an issue for anyone.

LaRae
Old 10-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Unless this guy has some sort of connection with the show then it is unlikely to effect Meghan. She's been living and filming in Canada for some time.

Further even if she was involved..she would be a victim. Not sure how that would be an issue for anyone.

LaRae
Exactly.

First of all, Meghan is a mainly TV actress. Second, she has done absolutely no work on a Miramax film, nor does she a share any common credits with HW. Dragging her name into the scandal would be obvious clickbait and I don't think most people would give it credence.

And, as LaRae points out, the one with the mud on him here is HW, not his victims.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Aristocracy

Even if she was involved, which I doubt, Meghan would be a victim. End of Story. I hope and believe the Queen would have compassion.

Thank you for explaining to me about the Daily Fail. I am an American, so of course haven't a read on how the UK perceives Meghan.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The comments re that Daily Fail article are horrible. It seems like no one in the UK like Meghan. They fear she will dilute the blood line and end the royal family and think she is attention seeking.

There are always people who criticize anyone who marries royalty, no matter who it is.

Kate was derided, called Waity Katey and her family was (and still is) subjected to all kinds on nasty remarks.

Same applies in other countries: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, Netherlands, Monaco.

There is something about a commoner marrying royalty that brings out the worst in some people!

(Meghan is hardly alone: Harry's previous GFs all went through the same thing).
Old 10-12-2017, 08:09 PM
Majesty

It is not until you read the comments of the Daily Mail and similar US magazines that you discover that people do indeed hate members of the BRF and, as she is dating Harry, Meghan as well.

Hate is a living, breathing, passionate entity, intense and unhealthy in its nature.

Synonyms: loathe, detest, dislike greatly, abhor, abominate, despise,
execrate, feel aversion towards, feel revulsion towards, feel hostile
towards, be repelled by, be revolted by, regard with disgust, not be
able to bear/stand, be unable to stomach, find intolerable, shudder
at, recoil from, shrink from . . .

People that truly hate someone about whom they know little, have never met, and has never been seen to offend anyone, etc. are truly screwed up. There is no logic to their hatred and there is no reasoning with them. That Meghan should become a target of such hatred was only to be expected but 90% of people either don't know who or, I would speculate, care who she is, let alone that she could become royal by marriage.

Most normal people do not interact with "haters" and, on this forum, our moderators and administrators do an exceptional job of nipping any opening in the bud. The trick is to remember that they are not you and we on this forum are not like them.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
There are always people who criticize anyone who marries royalty, no matter who it is.

Kate was derided, called Waity Katey and her family was (and still is) subjected to all kinds on nasty remarks.

Same applies in other countries: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, Netherlands, Monaco.

There is something about a commoner marrying royalty that brings out the worst in some people!

(Meghan is hardly alone: Harry's previous GFs all went through the same thing).
I am not so sure that the reactions would be more positive if Harry would marry a foreign princess...
Old 10-12-2017, 08:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTchic View Post
A lot of the comments are from abroad as well. For your own psyche, stay away from the comments because there are some miscreants out there.
The Daily Fail comment section appeals to a worldwide demographic who are sympathetic to people like t.rump. alot of the comments are from the us and some of them are sock puppets or people paid to represent a political viewpoint.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Aristocracy

On another note, since we now know that Harry will be attending an event in Chicago at the end of the month, I wouldn't at all be surprised if he decides to visit Meghan before and/or after this event. I thought a visit was always plausible, since I don't see them going too long without seeing each other but now, it seems even more likely.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:28 PM
Aristocracy

From what I have seen all the criticism of the Middletons has gone away.

I agree, if Meghan was a foreign princess, people would still have a fit.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I wouldn't be so sure about claiming the Middleton criticism is gone. Many of us here are well aware that it continues today. The DM is famous for fanning those flames. It's all part of the game to keep the clicks coming. Also there are websites devoted to bashing and trashing royals and their families so the Middletons have their own sections on those sites.

Meghan and family will likely and unfortunately endure the same continuous and tedious types of articles that the Middleton, Ortiz, Donaldson, etc.. families deal with on a frequent basis in their tabloid press.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I wonder who Meghan's Matron/Maid of honor will be. Will it be Jessica or her other bestie, Lindsay.

She could go the Diana route and not have one. And does anyone know why Diana did not have one?
British tradition at the time was to have just children as attendants. None of the royal brides of the 70's, 80's, and 90's had adults as the bride's attendants. (Lady Sarah is the only one that I can think of that had adult bridesmaids.) Not until the 2000's do you see adult attendants at a BRF wedding: Autumn Kelly, Kate Middleton and Zara Phillips had them. Most European royal weddings follow a similar pattern with a few exceptions ie: Mary Donaldson in 2004 who had three adult attendants.

Should Meghan and Harry marry I'd expect Harry's nephew George, niece Charlotte and perhaps his cousin James to be in the wedding party for his side.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 PM
Gentry

As a rule I stay away from the DF comment section and most comment sections nowadays. Paid trolls are a thing and it's not worth getting my blood pressure up.

The only reason I look at some of them sometimes is if I want to drink their salty tears and laugh at them.

Honestly - if Meghan marries into the BRF the first thing she'll have to develop is a very thick skin and a way of shutting out the hate. It's likely she'll never encounter it - as long as she avoids most social media.

And as for The Tig - I think the main reason she shut it down was because it was being abused by the media for clickbait articles. They were mining it for stories they could write - as if it was new content - but I think it just made Meghan feel hunted and also it was probably hard seeing her words misinterpreted so badly in their attempts to create "news". Imagine someone going through something you created from the heart over the years and picking it apart and then publishing it in ways you never intended. That had to suck.

Plus I think it became a distraction and a source of stress because everyone was picking apart everything she did and said on social media. I mean, with her instagram, folks picked apart her banana thing and even now they dissect her jewelry, shirt names, etc... I think she decided it was best to simply go dark to prevent that kind of thing.

I think she and Harry were really smart about staying under the radar - but her blog and instagram account became the ONLY way the press could print anything about her so she closed that door too.

Smart woman.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
British tradition at the time was to have just children as attendants. None of the royal brides of the 70's, 80's, and 90's had adults as the bride's attendants. (Lady Sarah is the only one that I can think of that had adult bridesmaids.) Not until the 2000's do you see adult attendants at a BRF wedding: Autumn Kelly, Kate Middleton and Zara Phillips had them. Most European royal weddings follow a similar pattern with a few exceptions ie: Mary Donaldson in 2004 who had three adult attendants.

Should Meghan and Harry marry I'd expect Harry's nephew George, niece Charlotte and perhaps his cousin James to be in the wedding party for his side.
Who is James?

Closed Thread