The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
Exactly, Alow and I think it sucks that the BRF is so uptight. It makes no sense. Come into the 21st century.

I was really saddened that Meghan had to shut down the TIG. I am hoping she can continue to blog about her interests. Why was she forced to shut it down, anyway?
I see it as one of those things she was willing to give up early on, considering that it was a side project and not her main source of income. But I understand the frustration or disappointment with her shutting it down and not being so prominent on social media anymore. I know some of her other fans have expressed that sentiment. She is an actress, although not one of the most high profile, and so it made sense for her to connect more via her blog and social media. Not being able to do so really doesn't benefit her professionally, which is exactly one of the reasons I believe Harry and KP approved that VF interview. I see Harry being very supportive of her, not pressuring her into anything but mutually deciding how best to balance their professional and personal lives.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:16 PM
Aristocracy

Okay, I can see the points being made re social media. But do you think Meghan will still be called "Meghan Markle" post marriage just as Kate is called "Kate Middleton" still?

Old 10-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Aristocracy

I'm sure some will call her that, yes...or Duchess Meghan. We may even see/hear Princess Meghan. Much of the media doesn't necessarily know or care about what is or isn't correct, re: royal titles.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I think so. Harry will almost certainly get a Dukedom, making Meghan a Duchess, and the tabloids seem to think that their readers wouldn't know these women if addressed by their proper titles. So it will be Meghan Markle for sure for several years.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I've not gotten the impression, based on Meghan's strong views about things, that she is going to be told what to do with her social media or jobs.

Many couples get together then change various aspects of their lives. She and Harry are no different.

The media being beyond rude will most likely still call Meghan ..Meghan Markle.

LaRae
Old 10-10-2017, 11:05 PM
Courtier

If Harry & Meghan marry, I suspect the media outlets who call William's wife Kate Middleton will continue to call Meghan Meghan Markle, and the media outlets (mostly American) who erroneously use the title Princess Kate, will also erroneously use the title Princess Meghan.

What I cannot wrap my head around is an American, who espouses equality for all, is OK with having people bow and curtsey to her. Especially for no reason other than who she married. I will give leeway on taking the title since as I understand it Harry's wife will have it by virtue of marriage anyway (much like Camilla is in reality Princess of Wales regardless of the title she uses), but I simply cannot get over the bowing & curtseying. I would be appalled if someone felt the need to do so to me, and would make sure the public is informed that it is not something I am comfortable with, and do not want performed. It may come with the territory so to speak, but I would not be able to compromise my principles due to marriage.

MMV
Old 10-10-2017, 11:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenPenny View Post
If Harry & Meghan marry, I suspect the media outlets who call William's wife Kate Middleton will continue to call Meghan Meghan Markle, and the media outlets (mostly American) who erroneously use the title Princess Kate, will also erroneously use the title Princess Meghan.

What I cannot wrap my head around is an American, who espouses equality for all, is OK with having people bow and curtsey to her. Especially for no reason other than who she married. I will give leeway on taking the title since as I understand it she Harry's wife will have it by virtue of marriage anyway (much like Camilla is in reality Princess of Wales regardless of the title she uses), but I simply cannot get over the bowing & curtseying. I would be appalled if someone felt the need to do so to me, and would make sure the public is informed that it is not something I am comfortable with, and do not want performed. It may come with the territory so to speak, but I would not be able to compromise my principles due to marriage.

MMV
I don't believe the bowing and curtseying is required this day and age. It's a choice. That curtesy is given to the Queen and Prince Phillip even by members of their family, well at least the curtseying. However, the young royal generally just shake hands with people or hug them.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:27 PM
Courtier

Thanks for your reply, jacqui24. I agree that these days it is a choice, but I would be so uncomfortable with people making that choice when it would come to bowing & curtseying to me. That's why I think I would make it known that I do not want anyone bowing or curtseying in my direction. And honestly, I can't imagine any American being fine with it.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I think so. Harry will almost certainly get a Dukedom, making Meghan a Duchess, and the tabloids seem to think that their readers wouldn't know these women if addressed by their proper titles. So it will be Meghan Markle for sure for several years.
The press always makes up a nickname like Lady Di then Princess Di, Sarah was always called Fergie and then the awful name Duchess of Pork. They don't seem to come up with nicknames as they did in the 80's.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:50 PM
Aristocracy

Omigod, AlowVera, I just figured out your screenname! Can't believe it took me this long!

I hope they don't call her Sparkles in the UK press.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
It's really less that they think that their readers won't know, but that they know for certain that people are more likely to be searching for Kate Middleton than the Duchess of Cambridge. Search results == money. Publish the words Kate Middleton or your article will not be found, let alone read.

Note the two search terms since April 29, 2011. Until that red line starts to equal that blue line, she will continue to be referred to regularly as Kate Middleton. The British royal press pack always use both.

https://trends.google.ca/trends/expl...of%20cambridge

As a result, Meghan will be Meghan Markle (though they'll also use her proper title) in the press long after Kate starts being referred to as the Princess of Wales or Queen.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:10 AM
Majesty

Its a simple reality. What is going to get the most clicks????

Kate Middleton vs Duchess of Cambridge. Meghan Markle vs Duchess of X?

Lets face it, there are a lot of people who don't care about royalty. They look at them like celebrities. And yes, many likely don't know or care what the title is. So Kate is Princess Kate or Kate Middleton. Meghan will be even worse as she was known before she started dating Harry. Being an actress, even if not hugely famous, she had a name of her own.

Media gets played for clicks on line. If Kate Middleton or Meghan Markle gets them more clicks, then that is what they will use. Because its a business, and they are after the bottom dollar.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:11 AM
Aristocracy

Thank you for that info! How on earth did you find it?

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how common the names "Rachel" and "Meghan" are in the UK? Do any aristos have those names?
Old 10-11-2017, 12:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
What I cannot wrap my head around is an American, who espouses equality for all, is OK with having people bow and curtsey to her. Especially for no reason other than who she married. I will give leeway on taking the title since as I understand it Harry's wife will have it by virtue of marriage anyway (much like Camilla is in reality Princess of Wales regardless of the title she uses), but I simply cannot get over the bowing & curtseying. I would be appalled if someone felt the need to do so to me, and would make sure the public is informed that it is not something I am comfortable with, and do not want performed. It may come with the territory so to speak, but I would not be able to compromise my principles due to marriage.

MMV
Issuing a statement that you do not wish others to bow and curtsey to you because it is against your principles would be a sure way of alienating yourself from the BRF and the British public while at the same time bringing a lot of negative press to the BRF (as the queen not only allows but seems to encourage this kind of behavior - at least from her grandchildren; so it will be considerate criticism of the 'institute' she joins/ed). If this would be a matter of principle to Meghan, she shouldn't marry Harry as there is no way she can refuse this without coming off as 'the American' knowing better than the British what acceptable behavior is.

Of course, she doesn't need to encourage it and can even say in private to people she meets that there is no need to curtsey but she is expected to curtsey to the Queen (and others) and shouldn't refuse to do so or make a fuzz about others curtseying to her in formal situations (most people probably wouldn't do it any way but those who do shouldn't be rebuked). A formal announcement would be the worst of all...

King Willem-Alexander, for example, stated in the interview before he ascended the throne that he is fine with people calling him by his first name because he doesn't want protocol to stand in the way of his relation with the people. However, those who 'know better', for example people working for or with him will stick to protocol and not take him up on this statement: they will use his formal address 'your/his majesty'. In the same way, Harry's future wife will have some leeway in practice (she doesn't need to enforce the rule to others) but is expected to adhere to protocol when applicable.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how common the names "Rachel" and "Meghan" are in the UK? Do any aristos have those names?
That information is easy to find In 2015 Rachel ranked 272nd on the list of girl names (given to baby girls in that year). In 1984 (this was the year closest to Meghan's birth that was listed) the name ranked 9th!
In 2015 Meghan ranked 819th on the list of girl names; in 1997 (the earliest they have for this name) the name ranked 286th.

Regarding aristocrats, I am sure that Rachel is more common than Meghan as it is a more traditional name. One example: Lady Rachel Fitzalan-Howard (born 1989), eldest daughter of the 18th Duke of Norfolk (i.e., the number 1 dukedom in England - in that role the duke is the Earl Marshal and as such responsible for state events such as state funerals and coronations). Lady Rachel was probably named after the eldest daughter of the 15th duke; Lady (Mary) Rachel Pepys (1905-1992) - lady-in-waiting to The Duchess of Kent (princess Marina).

Yet, I don't see a reason for Meghan to change her name. She has gone by Meghan her whole life, so I expect her to be called 'Meghan Markle' in any press communication during the engagement (assuming that they will get engaged of course) - afterwards the court will use her new title.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Thank you for that info! How on earth did you find it?

The Duke of Norfolk has a daughter named Rachel. There are a few Lady Rachel that come up historically if you google, but that is the only living one I am aware of. Not going to sort through aristocracy to find others.

The aristocracy tends to be quite a lot broader in choosing names for their kids. Countries, animals, Shakespearean characters.....
Old 10-11-2017, 04:01 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As for Meghan with the social media, we have to remember what happened before she shut down the Tig and quit posting on IG and Twitter. She basically was hunted down because of her budding involvement with Harry and it wasn't pretty. It all came to a head with Harry issuing a statement a year ago. Nothing about this couple's relationship was every played out either in the media or on social media and they were pretty much under the radar. One way to assure their relationship remained private was to shut down her accounts. It makes sense that when people were going to the Tig because of her relationship rather than the information she was sharing, the purpose for it went away. It was time to close it.

I really don't think Meghan will have a problem adjusting to protocol. It is just something that is. Harry is a pretty informal guy when he's out and about with the people yet he can act accordingly when protocol dictates it. William has been in situations where he'd say "just call me William" but has done some of the most proper bows I've seen to his grandmother. There is a time and a place for everything and I don't think Meghan would get her sensibilities in a twist because of them.

I would lay odds that it will be common to see Meghan's name in the press as Meghan Markle for a very long time. There are places that even still use the name Camilla Parker-Bowles for Camilla. As was stated earlier, they use what generates the clicks the most and most definitely aren't sticklers for proper names.

None of this stuff really concerns the public. Meghan will do just fine but I do expect that once married, Meghan's public profile and the things we see and hear about her are going to be mostly related to her public life. Their private lives are going to be strictly off limits much as it is now and probably more so.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:09 AM
Heir Apparent

MMV I hope you never have to live in Japan. The customary bowing would upset the applecart I'd say!

None of the BRF require folks to curtesy, even the Queen doesn't always get one. I'm sure if Meghan marries Harry she will be able to understand that a curtesy now and then to her is just a matter of custom and nothing more.

LaRae
Old 10-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
It may come with the territory so to speak, but I would not be able to compromise my principles due to marriage.

MMV
That is something that I am sure she has thought about. In the case of the BRF, she will have to decide if she loves Harry enough to accept someone bowing and curtsying to her. If she has a problem with it, I suspect there will be no marriage. She is going to have to take on the traditions of that family.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

What is the problem? She's goig to have to curtsey to the queen and to royals who are higher up than her.. so she better get used ot it all.

Closed Thread