The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Almost every actress nowadays has played scenes in which they are shown in bed or in a state of undress or nude, including incidentally Cressida Bonas, an ex of Harry's. I remember decades ago the very respected Shakespearean actress Glenda Jackson doing an extremely graphic scene in the film 'Women in Love' and that was considered out of the ordinary. Nowadays no-one lifts an eyebrow. Participating in these scenes is called 'acting'. No-one associates the actor as a person with the role they have taken.

So Harry must leave the Royal Family and his duties because some members of the British public supposedly consider Meghan 'unsuitable'? And just how are the powers that be going to quantify this. By polling, a plebiscite, referendum? That is just patently absurd.

I adored Diana and still do. However, she was considered eminently suitable to be Princess of Wales by everyone, including the BRF. And look at how that ended!

As for the BRF funding, the Queen and Prince Philip are directly funded by Parliament as monarch and consort. No-one else in the family is. Some receive expenses when needed from the Sovereign Fund. The Queen also has the Duchy of Lancaster to fund her and help some relatives with their living expenses. That doesn't include Harry.

Charles is funded by the Duchy of Cornwall, and from that he gives allowances to the Cambridges and Harry. The Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster are ancient and operate, as everything else does, with the approval of Parliament. They aren't directly funded by the British public.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
This is very true.

My point was mainly, that the British public still has no say. That would be insane. Let's have a public vote whom Harry should marry.
Or better yet, lets make it a reality show where the prize is marriage to Prince Henry of Wales and a title and a job for life.

OH! Waitaminute! Its already been done. Nevermind.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:42 AM
Heir Apparent

If marrying any prince (from any country) was a simple straightforward matter, then permission of the monarch/government would not be necessary. Its required because of the "job" aspect which includes representing the country.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Richard Palmer discussed this on his Twitter Page last November, and stated that from what he had gathered from his sources at BP was that when the Harry/Meghan romance becomes serious 'the happiness of Prince Harry will be paramount.'

If Harry went to the Queen today and said that he wished to marry she might very well counsel waiting. However, I have no doubt that her permission would be forthcoming, whether Harry decides to wait a few months or not.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Nobility

I’m surprised there are people here who feel British taxpayers should have a say in who Harry should marry.. Are you kiding?? Just imagine everyone would have a say in this. The poor guy would never find a wife. No one would ever agree. Besides it’s his private life. He should marry whomever he damn well pleases.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Aristocracy

Thank you for the links

Sadly, I wont debate about my opinions on the Duchy of Cornwall as I will steer more off topic.

It says online both Harry and William inherited 10 million each from their late mother.

Harry can marry whoever he wants, but if he wants her to represent us, I can have a say online. I hope I can anyway. I know he won't read this or listen, but I'm allowed to voice my opinion.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslily View Post
Right, it would be better for them to live together for one year and during that time gradually introduce her to the British public.

I still believe she's not appropriate for the job because of her sexualised career. Though I have no say apparently as a member of the tax paying British public.

I also thought Harry inherited millions from his mother? He could happily live without a title and royal duties, join the army, and visit Africa as often as he likes. He would love that. Would Meghan?

It must seem romantic going back and forth visiting each other, but living together for one year and getting into the routine of a "married" couple would really prove they are compatible. I don't believe they are compatible, but again just my opinion. Harry loves the safari camping holidays, Meghan loves the luxury resort holidays. I hope I'm wrong and Meghan isn't just putting up with these holidays.

All in all, I truly hope it works out for Harry.
Are you kidding? Can you really see Harry giving up being Royal? he's been in the army and left it
He inherited money from his mother but it is not enough to pay for his lifestyle and for royal engagemetns so Charles pays a lot of his expense.
Do you really think that Harry's going to give up his royal status to marry anyone be she actress or aristocrat or whatever?
I agree as it happens that I don't think she's suitable, or at least that she should probably give up acting in the US for a while and live with H quietly in England... but it does seem like H si serious about her. I agree that a long distance romance often does not work out and that's all they have had...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
I’m . Besides it’s his private life. He should marry whomever he damn well pleases.
Its not just his private life.. he can marry whom he wishes, provided she's sutiable for royal life. I think that the queen is still trying ot make srure that her grandchildren do pick partners that they will stay witt and in the case of a royal like Harry, that his partner is suitable for her job as Princess. However I think that she should insist that If H wants permission to marry her, he should have her to live with him here in the UK for a time...
Old 09-03-2017, 09:29 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Everyone's opinion here counts as long as its presented in a non discriminatory manner, based on credible sources that can be provided and adds to a reasonable flow of conversations without causing disruption.

Neither Harry or Meghan individually are hurting for money. Meghan's net worth has been estimated around the five million mark. Along with Harry's inheritance from his mother, Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother also put 2/3 of her money into a trust fund for her great grandchildren supposedly to be around 19 million. Its quite probable that both Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles have also set up trust funds for their descendants.

What we're seeing here now is that a monetary gain is not in any way, shape or form an "incentive" to marry. If anything, Meghan is, in my eyes, more than accomplished enough to fill the role of a senior working royal in the "Firm" by Harry's side.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Serene Highness

There IS a degree to which anyone who marries into a Royal Family [especially ours] becomes 'public property'.. it is simply the way it is...
So it isn't sufficient that Harry loves her, she will need the [long-term] goodwill of the British public- a public that has an unpleasant predilection for putting people on pedestals, then knocking them off.. that too is simply the way it is...
If they marry, I will wish them well, but Ms Markle would be well advised to remember that opinion here 'turns on a sixpence'...
Old 09-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Aristocracy

True I respect your opinion.

If it's true she has that much money, I hope she helped her parents out from both their separate bankruptcy. I would hate to think she isn't charitable to her family members. I certainly wouldn't leave my parents in that state if I had that kind of money.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:42 AM
Commoner

I thought it would be more important for what she did after her marriage rather who she was before marriage. We know nothing about Meghan AS a royal member, so I don't think we can say, she is not suitable to be a part of RF. Yes I agree she has to gain the acceptance from both British and RF if she want to marry Henry, but what I see is some people just say no while nothing really happen.

btw I don't think giving up his status can solve anything, probably some people would just say they are irresponsible. People always find reasons to complain
Old 09-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think Meghan will have any trouble remembering opinion in the UK turns on a sixpence....she's been dealing with the media most of her life AND she is surely aware of the situation with Diana and the press...not to mention Charles/Camilla and the press..and William/Kate and the press...Andy/Sarah and the press.

Harry isn't going to go by media driven public opinion when he takes a wife as well he shouldn't. No woman would want a man like that either.

They would not still be dating if there had been any issues raised from the family or compatibility between themselves.

LaRae

Quote:

If it's true she has that much money, I hope she helped her parents out from both their separate bankruptcy. I would hate to think she isn't charitable to her family members. I certainly wouldn't leave my parents in that state if I had that kind of money.

As a parent I would not take money from my children in that sort of situation. My guess is that would be the feeling from many parents.

She should not be held responsible in any way for the finances of her parents.

LaRae
Old 09-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Meghan is close to her parents, especially her mother, but has also spoken lovingly of her father in the past. I'm sure she's helped them as much as she is able on all sorts of occasions. They might have refused any help though. We know here that British tabloids like the Daily Fail love making mountains out of the tiniest of mole hills but neither Meghan nor her parents have said a word to any media about their personal relationship, family finances or anything else, and that shows a great degree of discretion, IMHO.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:56 AM
Gentry

Quote:
This reply is not directed to anyone's post. Just sharing my updated opinion on this matter which isn't important, just freedom of speech...

PS: Anyone that says "well I met my husband and we got engaged after only a few months" is not understanding this is not a normal simple life marriage. Meghan will be taking on a highly public job where she will be representing the British public and we will be paying her to do so.

My own opinion, Meghan is not suitable because of her reputation, involving sexualised scenes and photos. Sorry, but this is just my opinion and a lot of BRITISH public opinion. We are the ones paying the taxes and this is what we feel...
Well, I am one of those you mention in your “P.S.” that met and got engaged quickly (11 mos.). Marriage a year after, Baby #1 10 months after wedding. Now, married 20 years with four kids.

I would argue that I do very much understand Harry and Meghan would not be living a “simple life marriage.” And I would also argue that you could look at the fact that they seem to have connected so quickly, and may be moving in terms some may consider quickly, to indicate they are a perfect match. They just knew, and when it’s right, it’s right.

I hope they marry. I think they would be a wonderful part of the BRF.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
Well, I am one of those you mention in your “P.S.” that met and got engaged quickly (11 mos.). Marriage a year after, Baby #1 10 months after wedding. Now, married 20 years with four kids.

I would argue that I do very much understand Harry and Meghan would not be living a “simple life marriage.” And I would also argue that you could look at the fact that they seem to have connected so quickly, and may be moving in terms some may consider quickly, to indicate they are a perfect match. They just knew, and when it’s right, it’s right.

I hope they marry. I think they would be a wonderful part of the BRF.
ITA!

We aren't talking about kids in their early 20's who are still trying to figure out who they are. They are both experienced (in the ways of the world) adults who seem pretty confident in who they are as a person. When you are at this place in life decisions tend to be much more certain and you don't waste time faffing about.

I knew the day I met my husband we would marry. Weird I know...but we've been married almost 30 years. It happens.

LaRae
Old 09-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm sorry, princesslily, but how can you possibly speak, as you claim to, for the majority of the British public, when you say that 'they' feel that Meghan is unsuitable. How many millions of the 65 million plus of the U.K. population have you personally surveyed on this question? 60 million, 20 million, 5 million, one ?

Of course commenters on the Daily Fail online sites complain about everything and everyone, illogical, irrational and in some cases just idiotic. But you aren't taking their cretinous opinions into account, are you?

As for Harry enjoying different holidays to Meghan, I can assure you, that, as a longtime Harry fan, (since he was 19 as a matter of fact) that although he is a simple guy in his tastes, Harry has stayed at many luxurious resorts in his adult life, and I'm sure has very much enjoyed them. Case in point, the Google conference he attended this year before Africa was held at an ultra luxurious complex.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Again,

If things become official, the British people will be formally introduced to Miss Markle and they will see for themselves on how amazing this young woman is and they will get to know even more about her.

We've been through this before. It's about taking the time to get to know these young ladies in the formal way after the engagement.

With her profession as an actress on a successful tv show and humanitarian, we have the chance to get a glimpse of her bubbly, beautiful and kind personality. Whereas, with previous royal girlfriends, they were blank canvases for many years and that gave the media and people online the chance to paint whatever picture they wanted on those young ladies.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Heir Apparent

The DM have photos where Harry and Meghan stayed in Africa

Inside Harry and Meghan's secret love shack in Botswana | Daily Mail Online

The Mirror went to Meghan's university to get the scoop on her 'partying' days.

Meghan Markle's uni pals reveal her secret wild child past that could rival party-loving Prince Harry's - M...
Old 09-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Nobility

I find it hilarious, that the tabloids are digging up info on Meghan from 2003. How scandalous, 14 years ago Meghan went partying. That article did point out, that she's a very sociable person, charming and gets on well with different kinds of people.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:00 PM
Commoner

I and those I know never had a say on whom Prince Charles decided to marry or the choice of wife Prince William settled on, and we didn't expect to either. Both these women regardless of Camilla's connection to the gentry and Kate's English middle class background were still 'commoners', before marriage. They were neither royalty nor aristocratic but the Queen granted permissions for their nuptials to take place regardless. Which is just fine. I just find it ludicrous that some people other than the Queen feel they ought to a have a choice on Harry's preference for a wife, (for whatever reason.) It doesn't work like that.

I guess everyone has their own definition of what it means to be 'low-rent' and to whom it applies . It is not for me to read minds in order to spell it out. The point is the term is derogatory in nature.

In relation to the racial abuse etc directed at Meghan that I referred to earlier, I don't do pm's unless absolutely necessary but I feel the statement released by Kensington Palace late last year was in itself self-explanatory. I haven't the time or inclination to go back wading through numerous agenda-ridden article pieces laden with nasty sarcasm and dog whistles just so I can link to the reams of vile comments. It's there in black & white if you care to look yourself. And if you have an actual understanding and appreciation of what racial prejudice really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the only thing that directly is paid by the taxpayers when it comes to Harry's wife would be her security. Indirectly, taxpayer funds are used to cover the cost of official royal engagements Meghan would undertake on behalf of the Queen.

Harry isn't strapped financially and their private lifestyle and any staff would be supplemented by Charles' own personal income from the Duchy of Cornwall as he now finances Camilla, the Cambridge family and Harry.

Not much to be concerned about Meghan gobbling up taxpayer funds at all if you look at the reality of it. Her job as a senior working royal comes with the marriage and not the marriage with the job of being a senior working royal.

As for the racist comments, they are something that isn't allowed here and would have been long deleted by now. If you're that interested, Google is your friend.
Beautifully put, thank you.😋

Closed Thread