The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
The worst I've seen from her is a dirty look, which is perfectly understandable. I don't think she even did something like flip anyone off, which I think Kate did maybe once? Not sure about that. Anyway, my point was just to say that I think she's really cool and seems to be very agreeable, easygoing, and amicable with the royal family & the "court."
Kate flipped off the press? That's awful!
I agree with your general assessment about Chelsy.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Commoner

Harry seems to have calmed off from being the party prince and yes he seems more responsible and sensible and some do say he will marry before William but I dought he would propose to Chelsy out of the blue and want to marry her. Chelsy probably wants to finish her masters first but she is said to be very independent but maybe harry is concerned about her safety but her dad is very wealthy so.........

Old 05-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

I didn't know she was doing a Masters.
She is due to start work in London in September.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Majesty

I thought that she finished her Masters, that that's what she was working on when she was in university in England.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

She was doing her LLB which is a Bachelor of Laws course through Leeds University having done an Economics degree in South Africa.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

She hasn't done a Masters, has she?.
Like IluvBertie said she was doing a Bachelor of Laws course.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

All I can find is that she did an Economics degree in South Africa and then an accelerated LLB through Leeds university. She has two degrees both at
Bachelor's level.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps she wants to further her education and acquire a Masters. Some people continue their education (albeit part-time) at the same time they're working.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaz View Post
Perhaps she wants to further her education and acquire a Masters. Some people continue their education (albeit part-time) at the same time they're working.
Of course they do (I have done two Masters that way) but I can't find any mention that she is intending on doing so.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Law is a bit different, in NSW anyway. A law degree is the way to get your practising certificate, and when you have that you get on with the business of practising law. A lot of highly regarded and successful lawyers only have an LLB. Chelsy will need to work hard in her early years to establish her reputation and earn promotion, and will work long hours. She might do a Masters, she might not.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

I couldn't agree more about the work level required to operate as a lawyer in NSW. My father got his LLB in the late 40s and started an LLM in the mid-70s but simply couldn't fit in the time to finish it and has never bothered. He was able to do everything he wanted with just an LLB.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
‘Chelsy’s working hard practising realistic scenarios and transactions so she knows what to do when she starts working with real clients,’ said a source.
Can someone tell me exactly what this means. Does it mean she is semi-working or what?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Serene Highness

If Chelsy has her heart set on being a lawyer, I can't see her marrying Harry as long as he remained a member of the royal family. The only way it might work is if they waited for William to marry and have children so that they could lead a life mostly out of the limelight.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereta View Post
Can someone tell me exactly what this means. Does it mean she is semi-working or what?
I don't think Chelsy is working at all yet or we probably would've heard about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
The only way it might work is if they waited for William to marry and have children so that they could lead a life mostly out of the limelight.
That might work however Harry will always be expected to do some royal duties, so I don't think he really could live out of the limelight.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Although at the moment she isn't actually working when she does start and when she did her internship with the firm she would have been practising the sorts of situations she would find herself in when working full-time and would be being supervised by a fully qualified lawyer who would be advising her on what she was doing right and where she needs to improve her approach.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

No matter what sort of academic qualifications a shiny new lawyer has, they are fairly useless in a legal office until they have practical experience. Chelsy's short law course would have only covered the academic stuff.

In NSW until about 1970 trainee solicitors became articled clerks, essentially apprentice solicitors, and that lasted for 4 years (I think) and during that time they also studied part time. When they had completed their articles they had a lot of experience and were quite useful. Now after you get your degree or other qualification you have to do a practical legal training course before you can be admitted to practice as a solicitor. When I did it it was a full time six month course at the College of Law. Groups of six of you were put into "firms" and were given practice papers which told you the basics of the most common sorts of matters you would encounter in practice, and you were given assignments and handled dummy files of all sorts and drafted documents. Your instructors would mark your work and discuss it with you. When you finished that course you knew the basics of the practical stuff in many fields, but you still had a lot to learn.

If you then went to a litigation firm, as I did, at first you really weren't much more than a clerk. You were attached to a senior lawyer and assisted them. This meant you tagged along to Court with your more senior colleagues and performed mundane tasks and made a lot of phone calls organising witnesses. You were gradually given more responsibility but in the first year you spent a lot of time sitting in Court instructing barristers and making notes of the evidence while your senior colleagues were in the office working on other cases. Watching barristers run cases and assisting them with evidence was a very good way to learn about litigation. You were also given your own straightforward files to handle, and your work was very closely supervised at first. You were gradually given more responsible tasks and more complex matters to handle and increasingly less supervision. The same process applies in other fields of practice. Since I don't think Chelsy will be attending a practical legal training course, I imagine this is the sort of thing she will be doing when she starts work.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Majesty

Okay, Iluvbertie. Thanks for the info. I forgot about that Economics degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She was doing her LLB which is a Bachelor of Laws course through Leeds University having done an Economics degree in South Africa.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
If Chelsy has her heart set on being a lawyer, I can't see her marrying Harry as long as he remained a member of the royal family. The only way it might work is if they waited for William to marry and have children so that they could lead a life mostly out of the limelight.
The only problem I would have with Chelsy is if she caused Harry to move away from Britain. He is a British Prince and should live in the realm that he is the prince of!
Old 05-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

What happened to the article that was posted about Harry and Chelsy?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

If it's newspaper gossip it's in the William & Harry & Girlfriends & the Press thread;
Anything relating to the Katie Nicholl book will be in the "William & Harry" thread in the Royal Library forum.

Tags
chelsy davy, engagement, prince harry, security, zimbabwe